Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anytime you open the door to the fridge all the cold air immediately jumps out and escapes and then it takes hours for the fridge to cool down again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watching Zulu and I'm enjoying all the ways they try to hide the Enfield rifles masquerading as Martini-Henry breech loaders. They slip up a couple times and show a bolt being worked, but for the most part the camera work does a really good job of masking them.

This is just a really good movie. I like how the action isn't clean, but really awkward and sloppy. It adds a level of authenticity to the battles, where disciplined ranks descend into brawls when things get out of hand.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Anytime you open the door to the fridge all the cold air immediately jumps out and escapes and then it takes hours for the fridge to cool down again

New fridges turn off their internal fans when you open the door so as to not push all that cool air out.

You'd think Hammond would have had something similar if he spared no expense.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Spared cold expanse.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Krispy Wafer posted:

New fridges turn off their internal fans when you open the door so as to not push all that cool air out.

You'd think Hammond would have had something similar if he spared no expense.

Hammond spared all the expenses, that's just some bullshit he said

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Krispy Wafer posted:

Unless the power's out.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Most people would probably close the freezer doors behind them, even if it was an entirely futile gesture, because we normally do it reflexively, and would probably keep doing it even if it doesn't matter. Hell, the fact that the melted ice got everywhere and the rebooted freezer would then been wasting power to chill the entire room gives an actual reason why you should close the door. But Hammond's all about a well-concealed slovenliness, where he relentlessly cuts corners and doesn't give a poo poo about the people who have to clean up, so of course he just leaves the door open. The freezer's already a loss, and that's all that really matters to him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just realized now, well after my previous post, that this actually isn't the JP thread :psyduck: Weird.

That, and it feels like every second thread I check out ends up referencing JP recently. I definitely don't mind, but it's weird.

Greenlit
Dec 16, 2004

A commonborn squire
takes the reins of a knightly order, and leads a wayward kingdom from the midst
of chaos. The masses yearn for a hero. I give them what they wish.

Piell posted:

Hammond spared all the expenses, that's just some bullshit he said

Yeah, Hammond was as full of poo poo as he was icecream.

I don't remember the book all that well but even the movie shoves this point in your face (from Hammond's own perspective) and tries to force you to ignore it. Nedry (Wayne Knight) spends a minute or two complaining about his pay rate and work load, but gets shut down by a Hammond who was preoccupied by his grandkids being on the tour. He'd already been doing some corporate espionage by this point, but drat, pay the computer janitor a little more and don't give him godlike control over your genetic abomination vanity project.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Nedry was a double nepotism guy though. First, he likely only got the job because he's Hammond's nephew. Second, because he's family, Hammond likely figured he could pay him less.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Was there ever any indication in the book or movie that Nedry was actually being paid less though? He could have been making Silicon Valley bro-grammer scratch and just been poo poo with money.

I don’t recall the park being underfunded necessarily. It was unprepared, but I’m pretty sure Hammond was dumping buckets of his and other people’s money into that project, which is why the lawyer was there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Honestly I'd believe a bit of both. Hammond could have stopped at bringing dinosaurs to life. "Hey, every paleontologist ever, here's some real live dinosaurs." Then you can do research on the creatures. Study them to figure out how to build a park safely around them. Then build the loving amusement park. Several steps were skipped, all of them related to safety and security.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CzarChasm posted:

Nedry was a double nepotism guy though. First, he likely only got the job because he's Hammond's nephew. Second, because he's family, Hammond likely figured he could pay him less.

I think the book confirms that Nedry's company was the lowest bidder for the job when it was advertised, but InGen also kept them in the dark about the actual purpose of the park until super late in the game so there was a ton of post-project support which they probably hadn't accounted for when they submitted their proposal

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Was there ever any indication in the book or movie that Nedry was actually being paid less though? He could have been making Silicon Valley bro-grammer scratch and just been poo poo with money.

I don’t recall the park being underfunded necessarily. It was unprepared, but I’m pretty sure Hammond was dumping buckets of his and other people’s money into that project, which is why the lawyer was there.

Dunno about the original pay, but in the book they called up Nedry to do massive rewrites to the system after he'd mostly finished, but refused to pay for that, and that escalated to the threat of lawsuits and badmouthing him to his other clients, so he had to eat those costs. Also he had employees/a company, or something like that.

And the whole time they refused to tell him what the park actually was, or what the systems were really for, other than the most basic generalities, and then would get mad when it didn't work and there were bugs.

So Nedry's motivation was one part money, and a whole lot of spite.

CzarChasm posted:

I think you've got him confused with the guy from the second movie. Nedry isn't related to Hammond in either the book or the movie.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Mazerunner posted:

Dunno about the original pay, but in the book they called up Nedry to do massive rewrites to the system after he'd mostly finished, but refused to pay for that, and that escalated to the threat of lawsuits and badmouthing him to his other clients, so he had to eat those costs. Also he had employees/a company, or something like that.

And the whole time they refused to tell him what the park actually was, or what the systems were really for, other than the most basic generalities, and then would get mad when it didn't work and there were bugs.

So Nedry's motivation was one part money, and a whole lot of spite.

I think you've got him confused with the guy from the second movie. Nedry isn't related to Hammond in either the book or the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH8uAz5S-PQ
I always thought that "Thanks, Dad." was pretty explicit in saying he's related to Hammond.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Android Apocalypse posted:

I always thought that "Thanks, Dad." was pretty explicit in saying he's related to Hammond.

He was obviously joking

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CzarChasm posted:

Honestly I'd believe a bit of both. Hammond could have stopped at bringing dinosaurs to life. "Hey, every paleontologist ever, here's some real live dinosaurs." Then you can do research on the creatures. Study them to figure out how to build a park safely around them. Then build the loving amusement park. Several steps were skipped, all of them related to safety and security.
Also he could have started off with docile planet eaters instead going all in on breeding mutant apex predators from the word go.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
He never would have gotten the venture capital for that.

Plus, they aren't real dinosaurs.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Beachcomber posted:

Plus, they aren't real dinosaurs.
Which always made the themes of the later movies that they needed to be preserved to be kind of dumb. They're all bunch of man-made mutants, they're not part of the natural order, they're the folly of humans.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyre being preserved because making more of them is really expensive

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not a very subtle movie moment, but I liked the callback in Endgame when Thor and Rocket are on Asgard and Rocket is being chased by the guards, one of them yells "GET THAT RABBIT!" :3:

Barudak posted:

Theyre being preserved because making more of them is really expensive

If they're heavy, they're expensive, put em back :colbert:

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
On the subject of Endgame, I always thought Hulks line about the stones radiation being mostly gamma kind of came out of nowhere, and was just a cool sounding line made up to justify him putting on the glove.

Then I remembered that the whole reason Banner was recruited in the first Avengers film was because the Tesseract emmited Gamma radiation. A nice bit of continuity without drawing attention to the callback.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH8uAz5S-PQ

Are you.... what? :psyduck: That's very obviously him sarcastically responding to Hammond's 'fatherly advice'. Like Hammond's laying down a life lesson of sorts to someone who should know better, and Nedry just verbally bats it away with that.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Accordion Man posted:

Also he could have started off with docile planet eaters instead going all in on breeding mutant apex predators from the word go.

I'd rather have cloned T-rexes running around than Galactus and Unicron.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
At the end, if your park full of maneating hell monsters can only be run by the one guy because of your idiocy and expense sparing, you pay that one guy what he wants

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Holy poo poo: the moment Drax realizes he's a replicant.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

DandyLion posted:

Holy poo poo: the moment Drax realizes he's a replicant.

I thought replicants know of their nature. It was only Rachel and Deckard that didn't know.

Grand Gigas
Jul 2, 2006

True heroes always show up late.
There’s nothing to say that plant eating dinosaurs would be docile, either. poo poo like hippos go off.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hippos can eat meat, they just don't really feel like chasing you down. Unless you annoy them. Then you dead. You so dead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Hippos can eat meat, they just don't really feel like chasing you down.

Pretty much every herbivor eats meat if they get a chance. Cows will go town if they find some meat just lying around.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My favorite story about this is a bunch of scientists put up bird nets to catch and count small birds, like you do, but they'd come back and the nets would be empty. So they set up cameras, and sure enough they were catching little birds, but then deer would walk by and just start chomping down on the helpless birds when they figured out that they couldn't get away.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alhazred posted:

Pretty much every herbivor eats meat if they get a chance. Cows will go town if they find some meat just lying around.

Watching chickens hunt and eat mice always makes my lizard brain stand at attention.

Like, I know they are tiny dinosaurs but... it doesn't feel right.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

I thought replicants know of their nature. It was only Rachel and Deckard that didn't know.

I don't know if that's a plot point in 2049 (never seen it) but as far as the first movie goes, that's all conjecture IMO. Ridley Scott pretty much did whatever he wanted with the characters so I never saw a reason to believe in one way or another. In the PKD story he's certainly not a replicant because there's a small plot arc where all his fellow cops get killed and replaced and they try to convince him he's been duplicated.

Some replicants do know. Roy Baty and his friends knew, so did a bunch of the android slaves who rebelled.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Replicants being self aware is a major plot point in Blade Runner 2049. All the replicants in the movie know, hence why the miracle child is so special.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Also 2049 does bring up the Decker question, and answers it by saying that whether he's a replicant or not is irrelevant. What people believe in is what truly matters, not what someone's origins are.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Why did you post a picture of two candles and a greenish wall?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

The Sexual Shiite posted:

Why did you post a picture of two candles and a greenish wall?

Its one of those hidden pictures, except in this case instead of staring at it unfocused you have to move your head side to side (to introduce the motion required) to see it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also 2049 does bring up the Decker question, and answers it by saying that whether he's a replicant or not is irrelevant. What people believe in is what truly matters, not what someone's origins are.

This is the correct answer. That was the entire point of the movie. God it was a good movie too. Too bad it expectedly failed. I would have enjoyed a follow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

DandyLion posted:

Its one of those hidden pictures, except in this case instead of staring at it unfocused you have to move your head side to side (to introduce the motion required) to see it.

His vision is based on movement.