Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

monkeytek posted:

The potato shortage at the tables was actually a lore tie in to the great Vanduul Potato Famine of 2835, that coincidently enough, was the initiator of the great conflict.

The year 2835 was a dark time for the verse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

You are dealing with people who bought $275 tickets to go to a sales pitch, that then went onto redit to tell everyone why it was not a sales pitch

I have been informed by a few fellow redditors that, since they had already decided to buy anything offered during the meeting, then it wasn't a pitch: they didn't have to convince anybody to buy.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

trucutru posted:

I have been informed by a few fellow redditors that, since they had already decided to buy anything offered during the meeting, then it wasn't a pitch: they didn't have to convince anybody to buy.

They were just following orders

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The presentation around it being a 'lone wolf' ship and so on does seem to argue for it being a SC ship rather than 42.

I bet the lasersats will appear in 42 tho. Mines like that have been in pretty much every space fighter game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

I remember he probated me once.. its like we bonded somehow...

Mod's pet. They only hung me the right way up last week.

Bloody marvellous race, the Romans.

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

ever spent £3 on a gas station sandwich and felt ripped off when it wasn't that good?

I would be considering the source of the sandwich. Now, try spending $300 a chef Nobu's place down at Disney and coming away with a stolen credit card _and_ food poisoning.

Yeah, I'm fancy.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The presentation around it being a 'lone wolf'

I think we use 'Domestic Terrorist' now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The presentation around it being a 'lone wolf' ship and so on does seem to argue for it being a SC ship rather than 42.

I bet the lasersats will appear in 42 tho. Mines like that have been in pretty much every space fighter game.

The "lone wolf" angle makes sense if you think about the potato situation

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The pirate version will launch speedboats

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In any case, every new ship brings us closer to the space submarine and that'll be glorious to see.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Bofast posted:

"Some people had no dishes", "there wasn't enough potatoes for all", "not enough bread for the starters", "portions were really small sized".
How are these people ok with paying several hundred dollars and being treated so poorly? :psyduck:

I'm more interested in the final line, "At least there has been enough beer and wine for all."

Plying people with alcohol is literally the go to tactic of a wide array of people that want something from another party. Throw in the fact they did it to people they controlled to be on an empty stomach and you have some careful planning that deserves recognition.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scruffpuff posted:

I wonder if there's hope for any of those people. Sure the vast, vast majority will take their stupidity with them to their graves, labeling it "genius" until their final breath, but surely there's at least one guy that could be reached. One person you can talk to and say, "Dude, you're someone else's PhD. Right now that's your net value to society - that someone else has learned how to help others by watching you fail", and the light dawns on them.

I think it's the guy in the tophat.

The one with the mustache? Possibly so.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

shrach posted:

I'm more interested in the final line, "At least there has been enough beer and wine for all."

Plying people with alcohol is literally the go to tactic of a wide array of people that want something from another party. Throw in the fact they did it to people they controlled to be on an empty stomach and you have some careful planning that deserves recognition.

I blacked out and the next thing I remember was waking up in my hotel room with an IOU for a "MINELAYER" and my wallet was missing.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

shrach posted:

You're on to something.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

The year 2835 was a dark time for the verse.

Have you guys ever worried about the fact that it was only a couple degrees of climate change that launched the French Revolution?

I've been thinking about that a lot lately.

Also, Good Eats is back. It's pretty cool that some people can leave something they like on good terms and pick it back up a decade later and still be just as good at it. First episode is on youtube in full!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

Also, Good Eats is back. It's pretty cool that some people can leave something they like on good terms and pick it back up a decade later and still be just as good at it. First episode is on youtube in full!

I can't get a clear answer on this - is ONLY the first episode going to be free on Youtube, or will the entire series? Will I have to get the food network to watch it?

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

shrach posted:

I'm interested in the final line, "At least there has been enough beer and wine for all."

I think Crobberts might be intentionally scamming these folks :ohdear:

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Virtual Captain posted:

I think Crobberts might be intentionally scamming these folks :ohdear:

You heretic.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

You might begin to conclude the ability to recognize really basic patterns is completely alien to star citizens.

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
lol that is how they are going to solve the netcode issues

just make it completely singleplayer without telling anyone and just keep insisting that there are players but you can't distinguish them from the hyperintelligent npcs

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AbstractNapper posted:

The dinner was a ruse.
They were actually being motion captured for the infamous cafeteria scene, hence the benches.
Chris directed the whole thing from above.

I can't wait for the SQ42 soldiers being a bunch of blank faced NPCs squeezed into too small chairs and enjoying procedurally generated green sauce :D

Beet Wagon posted:

not to keep banging on about my one funny tweet but this made me lol.

games-making is a pretty closed-off community and we've had conversations here about how it generally doesn't really pay to talk a bunch of poo poo about other developers, so I always kind of understood that the most we'd see is the honestly pretty light-hearted stuff we've seen from CCP and RGO so far (RGO went hard a couple times with the mansion poo poo but even that could be seen as kind of all in good fun). There doesn't seem to be any compunction about just absolutely making GBS threads on CR at this point though.

It's not like Chris is in the games industry anymore, anyway.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Incoming comms:

"Hey you there, I see you have something valuable, give it to me or I will rip it from your cold dead hands - lust is on my mind"

Is it:
1) The never before seen AI acting like a human
2) A real life commando mistaking cargo for a potato
3) CI¬G's marketing team

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

reignofevil posted:

You might begin to conclude the ability to recognize really basic patterns is completely alien to star citizens.

Joe Blobers is one of their best apologists because he takes everything on face value, and you're never quite sure if it's the broken English or broken brain that's doing all the work.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

DebonaireD posted:

There is no such thing as good dogfighting. It is all just turning as hard as you can, and it sucks.

Also, this game is going stadia exclusive, you heard it here first, folks 100% guaranteed. The only way to get the huge crowd of players netcode they want is to make google do it for them.

I doubt it will, but that would be some AAA level comedy.

I guess the WoW Classic servers launched like... yesterday? Blizzard was clearly not ready for the amount of people who wanted to play on them, to the point where people seemed to get queues in the launcher itself and/or could not even resubscribe because of the load.
Of course, we have our own Lethality to confirm that it will probably go pretty well by saying how he wants to play something else :D

https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/1166357398891761664

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Actually, folks thought it sucked, mostly because it sucked. It wasn't "hardcore," it was infantile, unless you think jumping out of a colored area is the height of hardcore gameplay. Wake me up when the poo poo that kills you comes out of nowhere and is not telegraphed in literally any way whatsoever, and raid attrition is a guarantee rather than a function of not standing in the bad.

I've always enjoyed gamers who use the word "hardcore" to describe the act of sitting on their ever-widening asses for hours and days while they move their wrists slightly.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sabreseven posted:

Didn't have time to paste an arm in, but glitchy is what CInotG does best :D

It's good enough as is :kiss:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

peter gabriel posted:

Incoming comms:

"Hey you there, I see you have something valuable, give it to me or I will rip it from your cold dead hands - lust is on my mind"

Is it:
1) The never before seen AI acting like a human
2) A real life commando mistaking cargo for a potato
3) CI¬G's marketing team

derek

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol. This guy. THIS GUY.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 27, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

It's good enough as is :kiss:

Word. Sabreseven, it's great.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol. This guy. THIS GUY.

He's not wrong, but he fails to understand that any grouping works, for example, the Cosa Nostra ensures revenue to pay their employees, provide protection and other entirely legitimate business.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It also completely ruins his other arguments in that thread where he claims that letting people buy $1000 ships isn't unbalanced because CIG said 90% NPCS!!!! or something.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
*ahem*

I invite you all to...

Theorycraft with me for a moment:

-Why does a minelayer have a crew of 8?
-Not counting the pilot, what will the 7 other crewmen do as part of their normal gameplay function?
-Do mines load and dispense automatically?
-Did Chris watch Star Wars while high and forget that the opening sequence featured bombers and not minelayers?
-How much does one mine cost, and how will this be balanced between the various different mines?
-How is the player expected to "launch" mines, and how are patterns established?
-Is it possible to track down who placed which mines and earn a bounty or "bad" reputation that way?
-Why can't mines be named?
-Why can't mines be painted a different color?
-Can mines be used as impromptu bombs?
-How safe will it be to fly?
-Can you ram a minelayer into another ship and cause a supermassive explosion because of the volatile cargo you have?
-Why not?
-Wait a minute... can you load a Hull E with mines, crash THAT into a planet or star and create a black hole?

Oh, wait, this game is loving stupid and will never be realistic because that is too impossibly complex for some dipshit who can't code, in a video game in 2019.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Bofast posted:

I doubt it will, but that would be some AAA level comedy.

I guess the WoW Classic servers launched like... yesterday? Blizzard was clearly not ready for the amount of people who wanted to play on them, to the point where people seemed to get queues in the launcher itself and/or could not even resubscribe because of the load.
Of course, we have our own Lethality to confirm that it will probably go pretty well by saying how he wants to play something else :D

I played the launch last night. My queue was ~30 minutes because I'm not a numpty and signed up on one of the newer servers. It was a goddamn blast, most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in years. Dun Morogh was jam-packed with people fighting for spawns, the quest journals were completely unmarked on the map, the whole thing was a clusterfuck of trying to tag monsters before the hunters could- it made the whole world feel social and active and alive, again. People actually whispered me! People grouped together to do stuff! Low level monsters were actually really scary and pulling two at once was a good way to die! Money and bag-space were stressors but that made the whole thing feel more like an adventure.

I worry that the feeling will drop off as the population dies down or spreads out to more manageable levels, but for at least one day, it really felt like an MMO again- the kind where everyone's in it together and it's about the journey, not the destination. There wasn't a single bullshit store or survival mechanic in sight.

So yeah I absolutely get why Lethality would hate it.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Scruffpuff posted:

To be fair, CIG paved the road long ago to allow them to just arbitrarily give release numbers to their builds, and backers proved long ago that they'll swallow that and ask for more. 1.0 Release Version will come out, because CIG will just keep the current build as it is and just start calling it that. They'll herald it as a milestone achievement, claim they're now in an "iteration cycle" with more to come so now we've proved haters wrong there's never been a better time to pledge more, and backers will take a thundering herd of victory laps.

We live in a strange world where builds have been over 1.0 for years, we pay VAT on transactions, and Chris is on record saying "what is release ?"... yet the game's is early in development, ya know ?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jobbo_Fett posted:

-Why does a minelayer have a crew of 8?
-Not counting the pilot, what will the 7 other crewmen do as part of their normal gameplay function?

I think you forget, this will enable lone wolf gameplay!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Scruffpuff posted:

Actually, folks thought it sucked, mostly because it sucked. It wasn't "hardcore," it was infantile, unless you think jumping out of a colored area is the height of hardcore gameplay. Wake me up when the poo poo that kills you comes out of nowhere and is not telegraphed in literally any way whatsoever, and raid attrition is a guarantee rather than a function of not standing in the bad.

I've always enjoyed gamers who use the word "hardcore" to describe the act of sitting on their ever-widening asses for hours and days while they move their wrists slightly.

drat what an alpha chad

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sarsapariller posted:

I played the launch last night. My queue was ~30 minutes because I'm not a numpty and signed up on one of the newer servers. It was a goddamn blast, most fun I've had in a multiplayer game in years. Dun Morogh was jam-packed with people fighting for spawns, the quest journals were completely unmarked on the map, the whole thing was a clusterfuck of trying to tag monsters before the hunters could- it made the whole world feel social and active and alive, again. People actually whispered me! People grouped together to do stuff! Low level monsters were actually really scary and pulling two at once was a good way to die! Money and bag-space were stressors but that made the whole thing feel more like an adventure.

I worry that the feeling will drop off as the population dies down or spreads out to more manageable levels, but for at least one day, it really felt like an MMO again- the kind where everyone's in it together and it's about the journey, not the destination. There wasn't a single bullshit store or survival mechanic in sight.

So yeah I absolutely get why Lethality would hate it.

So weird that none of them were clipping through anything or dying on stairs. I guess Blizzard was way ahead on that server-side OCS technology! They probably bought some of their physics code off of Chris.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'm the lone wolf dropping mines in space

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

I would be considering the source of the sandwich. Now, try spending $300 a chef Nobu's place down at Disney and coming away with a stolen credit card _and_ food poisoning.

Yeah, I'm fancy.
I would only do that if it was Disney in Tokyo. At least then I could have a marginally more exotic variant of food poisoning.

shrach posted:

It's like some slezy cabaret club out of the Yakuza games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

This guy lives near me. I thought you had to work out of the frankfurt office.