Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't mind Palpatine being back because these movies are trash and Ian McDiarmid going ham again will at least be amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't believe Anakin thought ahead and planted a red setting on Threepio for when he inevitably desires the flesh of the living

EVERY STEP IS A NEW NIGHTMARE

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wild Horses posted:

So whats the verdict on dramatic tension being ruined because of the hyperspace jihad strike?

I myself don’t know why I should care about the empire having a big fleet when massed asteroids with jump drives could decimate every single ship the empire has, at a fraction of the cost

These movies studiously refuse any consideration of economy, social relations, or culture whatsoever

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

These movies studiously refuse any consideration of economy, social relations, or culture whatsoever

The closest thing is how the general omission of non-humans suggests that, while previous (star) wars were truly intergalactic conflicts, the current hubbub is just between different tribes of humans. Nobody else gives a poo poo.

(Except some of the Mon Cala people, but that didn't work out well for them.)

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can't believe there's been two separate attempts to make a badass from a gold scold unable to move any joint more than 15 degrees

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't believe Anakin thought ahead and planted a red setting on Threepio for when he inevitably desires the flesh of the living

EVERY STEP IS A NEW NIGHTMARE

He installed RGB leds so 3PO's eyes would always show his emotional state through color but due a bug the mood simulator algorithm is permanently stuck on 100% coward and that's why they are yellow. They try to fix it in the new movie but instead he gets set to 100% angry.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

DeimosRising posted:

Does SMG still post in these threads

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mooey Cow posted:

He installed RGB leds so 3PO's eyes would always show his emotional state through color but due a bug the mood simulator algorithm is permanently stuck on 100% coward and that's why they are yellow. They try to fix it in the new movie but instead he gets set to 100% angry.

Every time they try to fix it, a limb changes color, hence the silver leg and red arm

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Hazo posted:

The X-Wings and A-Wings are noticeably upgraded models. I’m interested to see if they’ve done that to the Bs, Ys, and Corvette. Plus there’s whatever that ship is on the right side of the screen.

Even though the B-wing was nominally classified as a bomber, the only Rebel ships actually shown bombing things were Y-wings in Rogue One.
We're bwings present during that battle?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Darth TNT posted:

Scarif? Nope.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

The closest thing is how the general omission of non-humans suggests that, while previous (star) wars were truly intergalactic conflicts, the current hubbub is just between different tribes of humans. Nobody else gives a poo poo.

(Except some of the Mon Cala people, but that didn't work out well for them.)

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo in general except perhaps the combatants themselves. This is especially true if you care enough to realize the ST's stealth assertion that coruscant, a planet with a trillion plus people living basically modern space lives, is actually still around but apparently completely ambivalent :geno:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

General Dog posted:

Why would they do that? Are they trying to trap Kylo using the old "Bugs Bunny dresses up like a sexy lady bunny" gambit?

No no no, what I initially meant was that the version of Rey shown is either some force illusion a la ESB, or it's one of the Knights of Ren that can shape shift/cast illusions on their own person that will inevitably fight one of the protagonists once everyone gets split up in the destroyed chunks of the Death Star. Because it's not Estar Guars if you don't have your main characters get split up necessitating different scene wipes/transitions.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Hazo posted:

Does SMG still post in these threads

He posts in the neon Genesis evangelion thread

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wild Horses posted:

He posts in the neon Genesis evangelion thread

And he's been posting in the Comic Book Movies thread.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUDXdyRoQH4

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Well, that explains where Darth Vader got his pun game from

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Captain Jesus posted:

Rey is angry and has no chill. She likes fighting and blowing things up. She always rushes right into a fight both in TFA and TLJ. I find that kinda endearing.

Rey's temperament makes sense for someone who grew up an orphan fending for herself in a barren hostile hell hole with no resources. She shouldn't be well adjusted. She's not a white girl from suburbia.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Both Finn and Rey should be extremely wary of people and it's a drat shame the films never bothered to follow up on the "fish out of water" they'd both experience leaving their old lives behind

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Of all the characters they’ve completely dropped the ball on, Finn is by far the most disappointing.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The virgin anakin: tries to help people, is tortured by his failures, becomes evil
The chad rey: isn't tortured since she doesn't particularly try, paragon of goodness

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait to see how Rey's reflex training against a remote helps her when fighting another Force-user

Nov 6, 2002

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Of all the characters they’ve completely dropped the ball on, Finn is by far the most disappointing.

He's pretty much turned into the comic relief, now with a love interest.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Rey's temperament makes sense for someone who grew up an orphan fending for herself in a barren hostile hell hole with no resources. She shouldn't be well adjusted. She's not a white girl from suburbia.

Jesus Christ, this.

She acts pretty close to how someone should behave growing up on Takkuoine.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Jesus Christ, this.

She acts pretty close to how someone should behave growing up on Takkuoine.

There have been long bloody wars throughout Jakkooine's history about the state of its name and eventually the tribes split the planet in two, each becoming one of the other's suns, a reminder of their history

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

He's pretty much turned into the comic relief, now with a love interest.
Now allegedly the love interest gets a promotion and isn’t on the main mission in Rise of Skywalker

I think what they failed to do with Rey is worse since she is the protagonist. In TFA they tease her potential and backstory, then it just kind of fizzles out in TLJ. I also felt like she keeps insisting on being trained by Luke but there was never a reason why she would want to do that other than plot. The whole lead-in at the end of TFA was for her to find Luke and have him come back and help, but he just goes ‘hell no’ and moped around until the last minute in TLJ and then dies.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the movies and characters within them treat her like just any other plucky YA protagonist though, that's the disconnect

she should be moody and abrasive and the idea is there with her flirting with the dark side but ultimately all that gets ignored in favor of more 'perfect chosen one' crap

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

With the parents angle and the wanting to be trained angle exhausted, there's not a lot left to rey other than the desire to murder as many first order dudes as possible. Main takeaway: if only anakin had focused more on murdering the appropriate people and less on protecting his loved ones, all this tragedy could have been avoided

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 27, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

the movies and characters within them treat her like just any other plucky YA protagonist though, that's the disconnect

she should be moody and abrasive and the idea is there with her flirting with the dark side but ultimately all that gets ignored in favor of more 'perfect chosen one' crap
They clearly wanted to make her another Luke but then I guess forgot to write her as a character, outside of some of the stuff at the beginning of TFA on Jakku when it feels like she has more of a personality

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

No Mods No Masters posted:

With the parents angle and the wanting to be trained angle exhausted, there's not a lot left to rey other than the desire to murder as many first order dudes as possible. If only anakin had focused more on murdering the appropriate people and less on protecting his loved ones, all this tragedy could have been avoided

Rey turns to the Dark Side after Darth Sidious tells her about the Histrionics of Anakin Skywalker

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Vinylshadow posted:

Rey turns to the Dark Side after Darth Sidious tells her about the Histrionics of Anakin Skywalker
I mean the Dark Side is also cooler and you get to have one of those double bladed lightsabers

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean the Dark Side is also cooler and you get to have one of those double bladed lightsabers

"Lemme tell ya a story."
"I dunno..."
"You also get to dress in black, and you can have more blades on your laser sword."
"Call me Darth Mareysue."

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

With the parents angle and the wanting to be trained angle exhausted, there's not a lot left to rey other than the desire to murder as many first order dudes as possible. Main takeaway: if only anakin had focused more on murdering the appropriate people and less on protecting his loved ones, all this tragedy could have been avoided

The Dark Side is powered by fear of loss, if you're killing people for the hell of it you're unaffected.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Perhaps I'm being too hard on rey. More charitably, her new motivation is to execute the agenda of charismatic political leader leia *

* Leia's agenda appears to consist mainly of murdering as many first order dudes as possible

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

And he's been posting in the Comic Book Movies thread.
Shame. He used to post in Star Wars threads all the time. “Star Wars fans don’t actually like Star Wars” was something he repeated often and a phrase I’ve grown to appreciate.

Darth TNT posted:

B-Wings weren’t developed until shortly before RotJ. They were designed as a utility bomber but mostly as a capital ship killer. Y-wings still did most of the bombing, which is why they were sent in first to drop proton torpedoes into the Death Star exhaust port.

Nov 6, 2002

Perhaps I'm being too hard on rey. More charitably, her new motivation is to execute the agenda of charismatic political leader leia *

* Leia's agenda appears to consist mainly of murdering as many first order dudes as possible

Well the First Order are Space Nazis who murdered a gazillion people so that's fine.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vinylshadow posted:

"Lemme tell ya a story."
"I dunno..."
"You also get to dress in black, and you can have more blades on your laser sword."
"Call me Darth Mareysue."
A Mary Sue in fiction is a character that serves as a conceited self-insert for the author. Like Corran Horn in the EU novels or Bella in Twilight. Rey may not be a well developed character but she is in no way a Mary Sue even though people keep calling her one.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hazo posted:

A Mary Sue in fiction is a character that serves as a conceited self-insert for the author. Like Corran Horn in the EU novels or Bella in Twilight. Rey may not be a well developed character but she is in no way a Mary Sue even though people keep calling her one.

Lol if you don’t think think JJ desires to be Rey.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think Rey-as-JJ is a pretty good and meta read. An infinite set of mirrors reflecting themselves indeed

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The man created Felicity he identifies strongly with beautiful brooding brunettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I feel like if that were the case he’d have fought harder to direct TLJ.