Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
In the winter, the condensation output on my furnace will freeze somewhere outside of my condo, so I cut a tube sized hole in the lids of a couple of plastic cat litter buckets which I dump into the bathtub.

Well my old cat Smoke used to live for those moments and would often just straight up jump into the tub before the water could even really start draining. He would be as happy as a clam standing in like 3-4 inches of water while he drank it as it drained out of the tub. He was always obsessed by water and played with sink water, jumped in toilets (I live alone but had to keep the whole lid down or he would happily drop two feet in to drink from it), or jump onto the edge of the shower and yell at me while I was in it. He also used to paw at the fountain water. He was a strange cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Those are great until they inevitably break. They also tend to be a huge pain in the rear end to reassemble after cleaning the filter. I gave up on them entirely.

My cat is prone to struvite crystals in his urine so it's important he drinks more water than what my diet gives him, and he's dumb and prefers dry food over wet so :shrug:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We've got two of the flower water fountains going strong without any issues. We tried other designs (a ceramic and a metal one) which ended up getting nasty and had to be fiddled with sometimes. The fountains make a huge difference to how much our cats drink so I think they are worth it. Especially the older cat who needs to drink more.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We had a pet safe brand one we got for free and it was fine for awhile but it got gunky pretty quick and occassionally the pump would get so clogged up it would stop and I'd have to disassemble it to clean it out.
When Sleek was sick we got a flower to keep in the room we were keeping him isolated in he and the other guys seemed to prefer it and it's been a lot less maintenance heavy.
Donated the pet safe one to the thrift store.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Protocol7 posted:

He'll usually jump on the toilet too so I have to give him water before I do anything toilet related.

Please don't pass water onto your cat :ohdear:.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is the flower fountain you folks are talking about this thing from Catit? https://usa.catit.com/shop/flower-fountain/

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Is the flower fountain you folks are talking about this thing from Catit? https://usa.catit.com/shop/flower-fountain/

yes the one and only true flower fountain.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hello Sailor posted:

I have that fountain, although I don't use the flower.

It's a decent enough fountain and my 3 cats drink from it without any issue. The small pump will eventually burn out at some point (I think the original lasted over a year or two but I don't really recall), but it's pretty easy to just buy a replacement pump when it does go out. They sell the filters in packs of 3 for like 10 bucks iirc, which is an added expense but not too bad.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Thumposaurus posted:

We had a pet safe brand one we got for free and it was fine for awhile but it got gunky pretty quick and occassionally the pump would get so clogged up it would stop and I'd have to disassemble it to clean it out.
When Sleek was sick we got a flower to keep in the room we were keeping him isolated in he and the other guys seemed to prefer it and it's been a lot less maintenance heavy.
Donated the pet safe one to the thrift store.

Golly. I've had one of the petsafe drinkwells for almost 12 years, and it's never needed anything other than cleaning it and changing the filter cartridge despite daily use for that entire time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I've taken in a cat for a friend for a few months, which I'm super happy to do since I'm a cat person but live with someone that doesn't want a permanent cat.

This cat is ~4 years old so is still pretty energetic, and had some other cat friends in her previous home to play with. Now she definitely wants to play rough with someone. She's very good about not using claws and doing very gentle not-bites on my hands when when I'm the target, so the problem isn't that she doesn't know not to hurt people. However, feet under a sheet aren't being recognized as belonging to a person. So there's been some problems there. She does leave off as soon as I make a fuss, so it's obvious that she's a good cat but just wants something to attack.

Is there a good to do some wrasslin' play with a cat? Will a stuffed toy make a good substitute?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

If a cat is trying to play with your hand, yes, you should always substitute a toy. If they want to wrestle, I like using those catnip-infused stuffed cylinder "kitty kicker" things.

Don't wrestle them with your hands, they're not dogs - cats claw and bite as part of their play and our fur-less skin doesn't do well with that. If you do, you're training them that it's ok to bite and scratch people and they'll do it more.

If the cat is attacking your feet while you're trying to sleep... You gotta kick the cat out of the room while you're sleeping. There's no real good solution for that.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 27, 2019

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
My cat really likes to try and play with shirt and pant cuffs. Sometimes she gets a little bitey with my hands. Whenever that happens I make a big show of yelping and redirecting the cat to a toy. So far she's been getting better and biting/clawing at hands and cuffs less.

She's pretty gentle with the bites but there's a fine line between "painless play bite" and "too excited and now your hands are hamburger" so I'd really rather she not.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Klyith posted:

I've taken in a cat for a friend for a few months, which I'm super happy to do since I'm a cat person but live with someone that doesn't want a permanent cat.

This cat is ~4 years old so is still pretty energetic, and had some other cat friends in her previous home to play with. Now she definitely wants to play rough with someone. She's very good about not using claws and doing very gentle not-bites on my hands when when I'm the target, so the problem isn't that she doesn't know not to hurt people. However, feet under a sheet aren't being recognized as belonging to a person. So there's been some problems there. She does leave off as soon as I make a fuss, so it's obvious that she's a good cat but just wants something to attack.

Is there a good to do some wrasslin' play with a cat? Will a stuffed toy make a good substitute?

I've been substituting toys (Kong makes a good crinkly grab-and-kick toy) for friendly but unwanted hand play, now I just have to train my bf to do the same. I also got her some stuffed toys that I occasionally spray with catnip spray for a good tussle.

Feet under a sheet are still an issue if we want to sleep in and Katya gets frustrated with our lazy asses, we usually just yeet her off the bed and she runs off to be annoying somewhere else.

e: here she is sizing up her panther pal

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 27, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

I just have to say that both of these fuzzcats are incredibly beautiful

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I had to do a double-take, they look incredibly similar!

e: they have the same rbf for sure

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 27, 2019

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I ordered a fountain from Wish while drunk; was so paranoid that I drank from it myself first. It lasted all of four hours before Aleta got too excited and spilled water everywhere.

We also got a cat castle today. They liked the pieces individually very much; assembled, it is WORTHLESS.

oh jk Aleta literally just levitated to the top of it. It is a good place from which to attack Lunaghost.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
My cat has had a sudden unpleasant behavior change in the last month or so. He's always liked to be held, especially when I'm sitting up, like on a couch or computer chair. He'll climb over my shoulder and just kinda flop so I'll catch him. Then he'll lie there and purr and headbutt me till he is bored and jumps away, or goes to sleep. Its cute and i treasure it. We've had him for seven years, and hes basically always been like this.

For the last 5-6 weeks or so, these cuddling sessions have initiated like normal, but end when he suddenly decides to bite the poo poo out of me, twice on my face. I have gotten tiny love bites before, but not like this. When i put him down on the couch or floor after this he is bizarrely aggressive, no hissing, no growling, but full eye contact and attempting to get to my neck/face, and biting/wrestling my arm if i keep him away. This keeps up until i push him off the couch/bed or distract him for like a second, after which he's back to normal. He never gets like this unless ive been holding him for at least a minute or two.

For now my solution is just to push him off as soon as he starts wanting to be held, which sucks.

Hes eating, drinking, chasing his sister, pooping and peeing like normal. Any advice?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

Golly. I've had one of the petsafe drinkwells for almost 12 years, and it's never needed anything other than cleaning it and changing the filter cartridge despite daily use for that entire time.

Sleek would sit and stare at it and stick his front paws in it that may have added to it's need to be cleaned out more often.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

One More Fat Nerd posted:

My cat has had a sudden unpleasant behavior change in the last month or so. He's always liked to be held, especially when I'm sitting up, like on a couch or computer chair. He'll climb over my shoulder and just kinda flop so I'll catch him. Then he'll lie there and purr and headbutt me till he is bored and jumps away, or goes to sleep. Its cute and i treasure it. We've had him for seven years, and hes basically always been like this.

For the last 5-6 weeks or so, these cuddling sessions have initiated like normal, but end when he suddenly decides to bite the poo poo out of me, twice on my face. I have gotten tiny love bites before, but not like this. When i put him down on the couch or floor after this he is bizarrely aggressive, no hissing, no growling, but full eye contact and attempting to get to my neck/face, and biting/wrestling my arm if i keep him away. This keeps up until i push him off the couch/bed or distract him for like a second, after which he's back to normal. He never gets like this unless ive been holding him for at least a minute or two.

For now my solution is just to push him off as soon as he starts wanting to be held, which sucks.

Hes eating, drinking, chasing his sister, pooping and peeing like normal. Any advice?

I'd take him to the vet. Sudden behavioral changes like this, especially increased aggression in situations where he used to be comfortable, could indicate he's in pain or getting excessive stimulation, which could be any number of bad medical things happening.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We have a cat that does something similar - she'll climb all over the chair and rub against us demanding pets, but as soon as you touch her she starts snarling and biting.

The vet diagnosed arthritis and some joint problems, which meant she was probably in pain. She prescribed some gabapentin which seems to take care of the issue. Now when she gets snarly we squirt her with a dose and in a few minutes she's calmed down and lovey again.

tl;dr: take him to a vet, he's probably in pain.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

We have a cat that does something similar - she'll climb all over the chair and rub against us demanding pets, but as soon as you touch her she starts snarling and biting.

The vet diagnosed arthritis and some joint problems, which meant she was probably in pain. She prescribed some gabapentin which seems to take care of the issue. Now when she gets snarly we squirt her with a dose and in a few minutes she's calmed down and lovey again.

tl;dr: take him to a vet, he's probably in pain.

I will do that, joint pain makes sense, hes getting older and he's always been a very big cat.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As a fish owner, looking at a lot of these filter catridges on cat drinking fountains, these are pretty much the same thing. Activated carbon media, ion exchange resin media, and a scouring pad to filter out larger matter. You can get by much cheaper and in larger amounts by buying fine filter bags and filling these up yourself.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I will do that, joint pain makes sense, hes getting older and he's always been a very big cat.

Yeah, when cats get older they definitely become a lot less tolerant of certain things that may have been OK before, but are definitely *not* OK now. With bigger old cats, there's always more factors to consider - I say this as the owner of s 12-pound polydactyl female who's part Maine Coon. It's not always something that's a direct problem that can be diagnosed by a vet. Not that you shouldn't take her to the vet at the sign of a noticeable change in behavior like that - it's always the very first thing you should check, especially because diagnosing pain in cats is VERY difficult, and they will do all they can to hide it. and appear to be OK. But I think other posters have that covered.

I would like to add some other things, though. As my cat Jackie has gotten older, I've noticed she's much more apt to change her behavior towards me in order to, say, manipulate me into overfeeding her, these days. So it'd also important to be aware of other factors, such as that. Cats aren't stupid. If they realize they can get you to change your behavior by acting in certain ways, they can and will figure this out and apply it to their benefit. For instance, my cat Jackie knows I am solicitous of her, change her water bowls at least twice a day, scoop her litter box at least once a day, feed her around ~5 (she doesn't always finish each one sadly) individual 2.5-ounce portions of cat food every 24 hours, I try to play with her every day but it's more like every other day sometimes..... And she naturally does all she can to get me to overfeed her sometimes, or just find things to complain about.

Cats... they are not foolish, they KNOW how to push your buttons when they want to get you to do something. I know something is truly wrong, for instance, when Jackie is acting weird like she needs something and/or seems angry/upset, and I go down the list and have taken care of all her needs. Trusting your instincts is the best thing to do, ultimately, though.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Oh, and I very much wanted to post a pic showing off what an absolute and total beauty my Jackie is:

That's her, adorably silly claws and all, dozing peacefully beside me. She looks somewhat similar right now, and is in the same place, too! I admit I am totally biased, but does that not look like an incredibly lovely soft and beautiful cat? Right? Not bad for a 12-year-old cat.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Synthbuttrange posted:

As a fish owner, looking at a lot of these filter catridges on cat drinking fountains, these are pretty much the same thing. Activated carbon media, ion exchange resin media, and a scouring pad to filter out larger matter. You can get by much cheaper and in larger amounts by buying fine filter bags and filling these up yourself.

I'll second this! Been doing it for years, with all of the benefits that you mention. In my case, I noticed that the pump was identical to those on a certain brand of fish filters, and found that a filter pack for that filter was identical and way cheaper.

Fun, semi-correlated fact: my guys find a single flake of fish food to be an irresistible treat. I used to think they gathered at the tank because they were interested in the fish, who get lively when fed; came to realize that they were waiting for me to be sloppy and let a flake or two drop to the floor.

kaworu posted:

Oh, and I very much wanted to post a pic showing off what an absolute and total beauty my Jackie is:

That's her, adorably silly claws and all, dozing peacefully beside me. She looks somewhat similar right now, and is in the same place, too! I admit I am totally biased, but does that not look like an incredibly lovely soft and beautiful cat? Right? Not bad for a 12-year-old cat.

She is beautiful! And yes, wanna pet that thick fur and boop that nose :3:

Nazattack
Oct 21, 2008

Sefal posted:

I'm trying to play with both my of cats. but 1 of them is more shy and the other just runs up to whatever i'm playing with. wand, red light or feather, anything really.
The other shy cat will just stare and watch from afar.
The only times I get to her to play is when the other cat is out of sight.

They get along great and play with each other fine so I'm ???

I had this problem and my workaround was setup visual barriers force a break in Line of Sight for Milo. Otis will play with anything so long as it's near his Cat Log (Cat tree was to high for the little guy) he's down for whatever.

Milo has to have his dancer toy jump over 2 boxes to break line of sight twice to trigger his pounce.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
One of my favorite things is when I wake up and all 3 kitties are strategically sleeping around me on the bed. It just makes everything seem extra cozy then 🥰. My sister took the dog, my boyfriend is at the fire station for clean up, so right now we’re all snuggled up in fluffy blankets enjoying peace and quiet. This absolutely helps with the haze of depression that’s been hanging around my brain this week.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

TofuDiva posted:

I'll second this! Been doing it for years, with all of the benefits that you mention. In my case, I noticed that the pump was identical to those on a certain brand of fish filters, and found that a filter pack for that filter was identical and way cheaper.

I’m a dummy and forgot the extra cheap bit, use pantyhose for filter bags. Tie up one end, fill with media, tie up other end and cut. Just one pair will do dozens of bags. :)

Fishkeeping AND cat water fountain, it all works!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I'm fostering a litter of three rescue kittens. Tonight I noticed one of the boy kittens has paraphimosis. How much of an emergency is this? Are there any at home solutions for it since I can't take him to the vet at this time?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Anyone here have a cat flap with microchip reader? I was thinking of getting one of these but honestly the fact that they are battery driven is making me doubt. I have a bigger than normal hatred of things with batteries, I never have enough spare batteries at home or they are the wrong kind.

And worst of all I am reading many reviews of people saying their cat door just eats batteries, or starts to do so after a while. That would really drive me up the wall. So I am at the moment thinking to just get a regular, non powered one.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
How do I get my cat to stop waking me up at 2am to demand food? Should I just give her a big meal right before bedtime and refuse to feed her until I wake up at 7am until we get on a schedule?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

How do I get my cat to stop waking me up at 2am to demand food? Should I just give her a big meal right before bedtime and refuse to feed her until I wake up at 7am until we get on a schedule?

Yes, but also don't feed her as soon as you get up. Go do some of your morning routine first so she learns to associate that with imminent food rather than you getting up. If she won't quit then try an auto feeder so you aren't even the food-giver.

Are you sure its food she wants and not just attention though? 2am sounds more like wanting attention in which case you just gotta ignore until she learns it's pointless.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

Yes, but also don't feed her as soon as you get up. Go do some of your morning routine first so she learns to associate that with imminent food rather than you getting up. If she won't quit then try an auto feeder so you aren't even the food-giver.

Are you sure its food she wants and not just attention though? 2am sounds more like wanting attention in which case you just gotta ignore until she learns it's pointless.

It's definitely food. She wakes up, climbs all over me, and if that doesn't work she starts yelling by the food bowl. I give her food, she eats some, then goes back to bed quietly.

She usually is awake and active around 5:30-6am when the sun starts to come up, she'll be playing with toys and leaving me alone. Which is more manageable than 2am wakeups.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ah, yes, you have now taught her that 2am is meal time. Getting her to believe otherwise is gonna be a very uphill battle for a very long time, you might be better off getting an autofeeder if you don't want to fight it. Or maybe you could use one for a while to wean her off 2am mealtimes by gradually setting it earlier and earlier until it's a normal hour.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

His Divine Shadow posted:

Anyone here have a cat flap with microchip reader? I was thinking of getting one of these but honestly the fact that they are battery driven is making me doubt. I have a bigger than normal hatred of things with batteries, I never have enough spare batteries at home or they are the wrong kind.

And worst of all I am reading many reviews of people saying their cat door just eats batteries, or starts to do so after a while. That would really drive me up the wall. So I am at the moment thinking to just get a regular, non powered one.

We don't have a flap (don't let cats go outside :ohdear:), but we have microchip feeders that run on batteries and it works fine. Just do what we did ages ago and invest in a rechargeable setup. We have a big box of charged batteries, and we can just swap out when things die, and toss the depleted ones in a tin; once the tin fills up, we just run them through the charger one day. It's better for the environment anyway and way cheaper in the long run (just one or two recharge cycles will offset the difference between the up-front investment in the more expensive batteries and charger versus having to buy new single use sets).

Even so, the batteries last us a good month and a half on a charge, they don't use a lot of power to just passively scan for chips and run the motor for 3 seconds to open the cover to let someone eat. I imagine the flap would be similar, if not better, since I assume there's no motor opening the door to draw power, it just unlocks the flap.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

Ah, yes, you have now taught her that 2am is meal time. Getting her to believe otherwise is gonna be a very uphill battle for a very long time, you might be better off getting an autofeeder if you don't want to fight it. Or maybe you could use one for a while to wean her off 2am mealtimes by gradually setting it earlier and earlier until it's a normal hour.

Argh. This has only happened twice, I've had her for two weeks, so maybe it's not too ingrained. I'll try enforcing reasonable mealtimes for another week or two and hopefully maybe I can train her that meal time is not, in fact, 2am.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If she's at a healthy weight why not try free feeding her? Many cats do well on this method, although I would weigh her once a week or so just to be sure she isn't gaining.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

The sureflap one I had used about 4AA in a year with multiple daily uses, and gave plenty of warning before the batteries would actually die off enough not to release the latch

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Konstantin posted:

If she's at a healthy weight why not try free feeding her? Many cats do well on this method, although I would weigh her once a week or so just to be sure she isn't gaining.

She actually only eats a bit at a time, she doesn't snarf down the whole bowl at once.

When she wakes me up most of the time there's still food in her bowl, it's just breakfast time so feed me dammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I don't remember the brand but we have a cat flap with a microchip reader on an interior door (it's to give the old cat her own space) and we've never changed the batteries. It's been going about 10 months.