Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Rey's temperament makes sense for someone who grew up an orphan fending for herself in a barren hostile hell hole with no resources. She shouldn't be well adjusted. She's not a white girl from suburbia.

I don't disagree with this and this reading makes sense, but Rey is pretty normal when you put aside her temperament issues. She is somehow a fan of the rebellion, knows things about the galactic history (who Han Solo and Luke are, heard about the Kessel run) and knows about the resistance. So she kinda is a white girl from suburbia who has action figures in her room and dreams about becoming a pilot. The characterization is muddled.

It's even worse with Finn, because the movie first wants him to be a former soldier with PTSD who participated in atrocities, but also wants him to be a goofy guy, so it backtracks midway through and makes him a space janitor who never did anything wrong. He still somehow knows everything about First Order's facilities, spaceships and military equipment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hazo posted:

A Mary Sue in fiction is a character that serves as a conceited self-insert for the author. Like Corran Horn in the EU novels or Bella in Twilight. Rey may not be a well developed character but she is in no way a Mary Sue even though people keep calling her one.

I'm aware - my apologies if my sarcasm wasn't detectable in textual form

I look forward to the resurgence of that subset of the Star Wars fandom, because they're great if you're ever feeling down

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Captain Jesus posted:

I don't disagree with this and this reading makes sense, but Rey is pretty normal when you put aside her temperament issues. She is somehow a fan of the rebellion, knows things about the galactic history (who Han Solo and Luke are, heard about the Kessel run) and knows about the resistance. So she kinda is a white girl from suburbia who has action figures in her room and dreams about becoming a pilot. The characterization is muddled.

I don't have a problem with her knowing some of these things. Even in the middle ages peasants knew stories and legends of knights and battles, and Rey is essentially a space peasant. What doesn't particularly make sense for her is her selflessness and her desire to join the rebellion. Someone like her should be primarily concerned with looking out for number one.

Finn, yeah, he's just a hot mess of contradictions and walk backs.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I agree on Finn - in more ways than Rey them not really doing much with him in the ST is a problem. His character literally forgets everything he learned in the first few minutes of TLJ and tries running again. Then, he spends the whole movie following other people, being lectured at by Rose or DJ. He doesn’t move any of the plot on his own, rather the more two dimensional Poe does, who they try to cram some ill-fitting growth into. (It doesn’t really work, you *want* Poe to be the impulsive, rash rogue, that’s what anyone likes about him). Finn basically takes a movie off despite being awake the entire time.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Vinylshadow posted:

I'm aware - my apologies if my sarcasm wasn't detectable in textual form

I look forward to the resurgence of that subset of the Star Wars fandom, because they're great if you're ever feeling down
I apologize then. The line between sarcasm and sincerity in Star Wars opinions is blurred beyond recognition at this point. I hate that subset of “fans” as well and I’ve taken great delight in trolling them on social media.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So, where exactly is the New Republic in this fight with the First Order? I'm really confused as to where their fleet is and why the First Order just seems to be rolling over an extant galactic wide government. The "resistance" was just supposed to be a proxy war between the First Order and the New Republic?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

So, where exactly is the New Republic in this fight with the First Order? I'm really confused as to where their fleet is and why the First Order just seems to be rolling over an extant galactic wide government. The "resistance" was just supposed to be a proxy war between the First Order and the New Republic?

Their fleet got destroyed in TFA

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

kidkissinger posted:

JJ’s incisive commentary on the USA’s overreliance on carriers for force projection.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The new republic was conquered and ceased to exist between TFA and TLJ. I'm aware of how stupid that sounds but this is literally the first thing the opening crawl asserts

Nov 6, 2002

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's so dumb that we have to ask these kind of questions. They tried so hard to avoid the boring political talk of the prequels that they leaned waaaay too hard in the other direction.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

Didn't the new Republic have like 5 main battle fleets each assigned to a sector of the galaxy and then one roaming fleet to handle hot spots? Or am I thinking of legends New Republic. Like surely the entire new republic fleet wasn't docked at the three worlds that got blasted.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

Didn't the new Republic have like 5 main battle fleets each assigned to a sector of the galaxy and then one roaming fleet to handle hot spots? Or am I thinking of legends New Republic. Like surely the entire new republic fleet wasn't docked at the three worlds that got blasted.

I think that they were all docked at Coruscant tbh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

There was a big scene in TFA were the republic was blown up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I swear they show like 5 ships getting blown up by Starkiller Base in TFA and we are supposed to believe that is the whole fleet I guess?

Nov 6, 2002

The majority of the fleet was docked around the Hosnian system planets, which Starkiller destroyed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes. The movie is speaking to you using visual language.

Someone also says it. So that is hearing language too. If you can’t see and hear maybe you missed it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

I think that they were all docked at Coruscant tbh

I don't think that planet was destroyed

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

"The Republic" is short for "The Republic of Five Planets", and the First Order blew up all five of them.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They need to hurry up and decanonize the prequels so that the scale of the "galaxy" implicit in the sequels can be even remotely sensical

Nov 6, 2002

pospysyl posted:

"The Republic" is short for "The Republic of Five Planets", and the First Order blew up all five of them.

No. It's a galactic republic.

e: you were probably being sarcastic, nvm

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

euphronius posted:

Yes. The movie is speaking to you using visual language.

Someone also says it. So that is hearing language too. If you can’t see and hear maybe you missed it.

Yeah but what if the visual is stupid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The movies are pretty stupid yeah.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I don't have a problem with her knowing some of these things. Even in the middle ages peasants knew stories and legends of knights and battles, and Rey is essentially a space peasant. What doesn't particularly make sense for her is her selflessness and her desire to join the rebellion. Someone like her should be primarily concerned with looking out for number one.

She's driven to join the rebellion resistance to help BB-8. And BB-8 is cute af. You can't not help that pudgy little ball of joy. You just can't. It's in the rules.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

The new republic was conquered and ceased to exist between TFA and TLJ. I'm aware of how stupid that sounds but this is literally the first thing the opening crawl asserts

I took ""The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy." To mean that the first order was now pushing out after their sneak attack on the new republic.

Like there were literally days (hours?) between the end of between the end of TFA and TLJ since Finn just woke up from his treatment and Ray's meeting picks up from the scene we left off at.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Presumably "reigns" should be taken to mean "reigns". I agree with you it's very very stupid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s a dumb space opera serial like Flash Gordon or whatever. This stuff didn’t actually happen and it’s not like thought through as a simulation. There is enough background story to inform the story in the screen which centers on the characters

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mike N Eich posted:

His character literally forgets everything he learned in the first few minutes of TLJ and tries running again.

I don't think Finn's plot in TLJ is very good, but I think this particular criticism (which I've seen a lot) is off base. Finn isn't trying to run away at the beginning out of self-preservation; he's trying to run away so that he can warn Rey that the fleet is under attack so she doesn't walk into a hornets' nest when she comes back from her mission. While it's not especially interesting, Finn has a complete arc- he finds his own ideology and reasons for being a part of the resistance, rather than it just being there for Rey.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

euphronius posted:

It’s a dumb space opera serial like Flash Gordon or whatever. This stuff didn’t actually happen and it’s not like thought through as a simulation. There is enough background story to inform the story in the screen which centers on the characters

There was some semblance of logic to the conflict in the OT and the PT. You had enough that you could fill in the gaps. The gaps can't be filled in for the ST; it's nonsensical. Everything we're told and shown about the First Order makes them seem like a) a pretty marginal faction within the galaxy as a whole and b)incompetent buffoons (Hux, Kylo, Snoke, Phasma, all of them), and yet we're to believe that they conquer the galaxy basically overnight.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
While the First Order was working on the Starkiller base the New Republic was hard at work on their greatest tool: the galaxy's largest white flag

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

Presumably "reigns" should be taken to mean "reigns". I agree with you it's very very stupid

Moreover, I feel like this is the only interpretation actually consistent with the later events of TLJ. Presumably if the new republic still existed in any way shape or form, leia would at least try to contact them instead of just her vague outer rim "allies"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They honestly could have framed this entire thing as a local conflict that the Republic just refused to get involved with, and nothing would have changed. If the personal stakes are truly enough to carry the movies, then why bother even bother with contriving a reason that any of this imperils the entire galaxy?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nitrousoxide posted:

I took ""The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy." To mean that the first order was now pushing out after their sneak attack on the new republic.

Like there were literally days (hours?) between the end of between the end of TFA and TLJ since Finn just woke up from his treatment and Ray's meeting picks up from the scene we left off at.
It’s hours, because we see the New Order fleet destroying the Resistance base where they launched the attack on Starkiller

So within hours the Order has already won?

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

General Dog posted:

They honestly could have framed this entire thing as a local conflict that the Republic just refused to get involved with, and nothing would have changed. If the personal stakes are truly enough to carry the movies, then why bother even bother with contriving a reason that any of this imperils the entire galaxy?

Eh, we don't want to see the main Star Wars downgrade their stakes.

Nov 6, 2002

CharlestonJew posted:

While the First Order was working on the Starkiller base the New Republic was hard at work on their greatest tool: the galaxy's largest white flag

With the amount of enthusiasm the old senate greeting the creation of the empire I assume most of the galaxy are big fans of fascism.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s hours, because we see the New Order fleet destroying the Resistance base where they launched the attack on Starkiller

So within hours the Order has already won?

I guess the "decimation" of the Republic refers to the Starkiller attack, and when it says that Snoke has deployed his legions to seize control of the galaxy, it means that they literally just left.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

General Dog posted:

This is something I agree with and, IIRC there's some deleted Leia dialogue in Force Awakens that is basically to that effect. That the First Order is building up to be a threat, but they go from that to being a massive force insanely fast. I feel like one of the first two ST movies needed at time jump of a couple of years or something if they really wanted that to work.

Also have to agree that pulpy serial or not, there's enough tissue to how the world works in the OT and PT that yeah, obviously it's not a simulation or an account of real events or whatever, but they don't quite as "off" about this like the two ST movies so far do to me.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Dangling and jiggling a palpatine toy in front of you, as a distraction of an infant* hey, forget about all that stuff please

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do1Fw2rLPcY

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

it’s a real problem when your serious villains are all such bumbling comic relief that it’s impossible to understand how they’ve seized control

also hard to understand what exactly our heroes are fighting for when the movie flat out tells us nobody but the people in the room we’re seeing care about this

like remove everything else and look at it in a vacuum, even episode 1 at least gave us enough of a coherent explanation of why the trade federation is bad. they immediately try to kill the Jedi diplomats after luring them in on pretense of negotiation, they’re blockading a world we know is chill and peaceful cause we spend a lot of time on it, the world has no real army or defenses to repel the droid occupiers so they’re a legit threat. and we understand why the Republic hasn’t acted because of bureaucratic gridlock and red tape. all the players and the scope of the conflict are clearly defined.

in the ST we’re two movies in and nobody even has a clear understanding of whether there’s a Republic or not or who’s in charge or what anyone even wants

seems like they should’ve written some sort of outline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I feel like I've said it multiple times before, but it's not like the writers of The Force Awakens had jam their story into some existing chronology. They had carte blanche to come up with whatever political reality they wanted, and had a 35 year runway from the events of Return of the Jedi to get there, and for some reason this is what they decided on- a stable Republic, an ostensibly small, incompetent group of right-wing terrorists, and a Death Star x1000 that would have taken presumably all the money in the known universe to build that serves as a magic reset switch for everything.