Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

MiddleOne posted:

Funny story, Germany actually can't. The German auto industry is the best in the world at building not only fossil fuel cars, but the technological systems particular to fossil fuel cars. In moving to EV, Germany would lose a lot of the competitive advantages that has made its auto industry as dominant as it is. It would have to start from scratch with other auto economies already far into the game.

Thus the aggressive stalling by both German political and economical interests to obstruct the switch to EVs.

Randler posted:

And EU state aid rules make it extremely difficult to only help the domestic manufacturing industry instead of all their competition from abroad. Which is part of the reason why the latest incentives for electronic vehicles as well as the new depreciation scheme for newly constructed housing were deliberately limited in scope as to not require EU approval.

The idea that German automakers can't, and won't, make electric vehicles is nonsense. All of the major German brands have got electric vehicles either on the market already, or soon to be.

It wouldn't need to only be specifically focused on the domestic manufacturing industry (ie against EU state aid rules), just give the grant for all EV vehicles. Sure, some of the money would go to foreign brands, but a large chunk of the money would go to German brands too. BMW/Audi/VW/Mercedes/Opel/Porsche combined had approx 48% of the vehicle sales in Germany in Q1 of this year.

And the pollution benefits accrue locally (and globally) regardless of which brand is on the electric vehicle that sells. So the green selling point remains important.

My broader point wasn't that an EV incentive scrappage scheme is some panacea, though. It was just the first example that came to mind as a way of spending money that would have a variety of positive economic and environmental benefits. I'm sure leading politicians and civil servants could come up with more, if they actually wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Blut posted:

12 of the 16 German states have unemployment rates over 5%. Construction is an industry with a very short lead in time for training, comparatively. "labour shortages" are pretty much entirely only in the handful of most economically successful states. Thats also not accounting for the ability to import construction workers from elsewhere in the EU, where unemployment is much higher. This seems a very poor argument against increased infrastructure spending.

But even if someone wants to run with that: given the German manufacturing sector is suffering the most at present , how about introducing a wide-scale government scrappage scheme to encourage Germans to trade in their polluting older/diesel cars for new electric ones? That would help the manufacturing sector, utilize labour where there is currently spare capacity, and help the environment.

The idea that "theres just nowhere we can spend the money!!" is a neo-liberal talking point, aimed at preventing governments from spending more money because BIG GOVERNMENT BAD. There are plenty of ways to use government spending to improve the country currently.

Full employment is generally considered to be between 4-6% unemployment. And the places that do have large unemployment are not the same places that need construction workers. I don't know what else to tell you except that billions of EUR in federal grands(for broadbands expansion, school renovations, road construction, etc.)have been sitting around for years going unclaimed because cities don't have the capacity to plan and manage more projects or due to backlogged construction industry. It's just a fact.

I don't disagree with you on spending. We need a massive increase in education and science spending(Germany is way behind the OECD average) and the federal government needs to get involved in public housing again ASAP. We also need enormous investments into rail infrastructure and local public transport.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Opferwurst posted:

Full employment is generally considered to be between 4-6% unemployment.

By neoliberals, yes. They need their reserve army of labour to keep wages down after all.

Both Norway and the Netherlands ran sustained sub 4%, even sub 3% unemployment rates and nothing bad happened, thus disproving this poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A diesel scrappage grant is not going to do that much so it's probably not the best way to spend money. Cities are already banning Euro 1-5 cars and Euro 6 cars are too new to retire and still worth a shitton of money. You gonna scrap a shitton of Euro 1-5 cars without improving NO emmisions in cities

The market for electric cars is very limited right now due to the lack of a charging infrastructure so you need to develop that first which brings us back to how hosed infrastructure projects are right now in Germany.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

I want to make two more points.

One could argue that the experience with hyperinflation was the reason the Weimar government went with austerity during the Great Depression. The capitalist classes had not taken the brunt of the hit through the hyperinflation, but they had certainly taken some hits. Austerity ofcourse is designed specifically to protect the rich. Hence also why during "the Great Recession" we simultaneously saw the number of millionaires and billionaires and their average wealth as well as multinational profits reach record highs. So in that sense I guess you could draw a line from hyperinflation to Nazi's, it just goes through "capitalism is so goddamn loving evil for real" on its way there.

Then there's also that Germany in the early 20s was actually in that mythical situation that governments love to warn about, where they just had way too goddamn much debt. Ofcourse we've already known the solution to way too goddamn much debt for like, 6.000 years. It's real easy: you cancel the debt. It's in the bible for fucks sakes. It's on the Rosetta stone. What you do is you say "actually gently caress you creditors you don't get to hold entire generations hostage for life, that poo poo is detrimental to the society I'm trying to build here and moreover I am the loving state, I have an army, come at me". In effect the US forced the UK and France to do this through the Dawes plan. Any sane US government would do this to student and healthcare loans immediately. Don't even use government money to pay that poo poo off, just cancel it with the stroke of a pen and gently caress the creditors. In conclusion, Thomas Sankara was absolutely right:

"The debt cannot be paid back, firstly because, if we don't pay, our debitors won't starve to death. Be sure of that. But if we pay, we will starve to death. Be sure of that as well."

And they loving murdered him for it.

Reading your posts here. I'm generally pretty ignorant on economic issues and all this stuff is fascinating. That's a perfect quote. Thank you.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

By neoliberals, yes. They need their reserve army of labour to keep wages down after all.

Both Norway and the Netherlands ran sustained sub 4%, even sub 3% unemployment rates and nothing bad happened, thus disproving this poo poo.

The full employment rate is not some universal constant and depends on many factors like the quality of the local welfare system or cultural factors like labor participation rates for parents or women. Ultimately it just means that everyone who wants to work under existing socio-economic conditions has a job.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Reading your posts here. I'm generally pretty ignorant on economic issues and all this stuff is fascinating. That's a perfect quote. Thank you.

Listen to the man himself, please!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCBgJVA5js

He was murdered 3 months later.

Edit: replaced the link with a better, longer link, including the part where he predicts he's about to get assasinated for saying this poo poo.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 27, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Orange Devil posted:

Such as:

Nationalize health care.

Nationalize public transport.

Nationalize power and water infrastructure.

Nationalize the loving banks.

Abolish Hartz IV and replace it with a system not literally written by steel and auto executives which aims at providing a decent standard of living rather than keeping labour costs low.

end private ownership of the means of production

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

We don't have a loving clue what the real rate of inflation is because CPI is a dumb metric.

We might look at gdp, but this is also a stupid metric.

We're at the end of the monetary toolbox here guys.we need fiscal policy.that means tax the loving rich,and then spend it through the only sure fire way to grow a economy.if only we had a impending situation that requires a complete mobilization of the economy and society to be dealt with.

Even giving money back to the boomers so that they stash it again in saving accounts would at least create some velocity in the money supply.

Instead we'll have QE2: electric bugaloo, can't wait for more stock buybacks and increased corporate debt.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Any sane US government would do this to student and healthcare loans immediately. Don't even use government money to pay that poo poo off, just cancel it with the stroke of a pen and gently caress the creditors.

It’s kind of off topic but the vast majority of student loan debt in the US is owed directly to the Federal government. This makes student loan debt forgiveness the functional equivalent of a tax cut more than anything else. It’s also a tax cut that favors high income, well educated professionals, as few construction workers or tomato pickers have loans. It’s not the most regressive tax cut we could imagine but probably the US should be taxing more, rather than less, imo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Squalid posted:

It’s kind of off topic but the vast majority of student loan debt in the US is owed directly to the Federal government. This makes student loan debt forgiveness the functional equivalent of a tax cut more than anything else. It’s also a tax cut that favors high income, well educated professionals, as few construction workers or tomato pickers have loans. It’s not the most regressive tax cut we could imagine but probably the US should be taxing more, rather than less, imo.

Having a giant debt millstone around your neck before you even enter employment is going to make workers:

a) easier to exploit, prevent from organizing and bury under long hours so they don't have the time or energy to engage with politics

or

b) ofcourse the answer is loving a) and the debt should be cancelled.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Squalid posted:

Then replace student loans with higher income tax at the top bands rather than disproportionately loving people over if they stop having a high income for whatever reason.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

suck my woke dick posted:

Then replace student loans with higher income tax at the top bands rather than disproportionately loving people over if they stop having a high income for whatever reason.

Minimum payments on Federal loans are capped depending on circumstances at 10-15% of discretionary income. This in effect makes student loan repayment a progressive tax. If you haven’t paid it back after 20-25 years it can be completely forgiven.

There are a lot of problems with student loans especially private loans, but they are more like people getting scammed into taking out debt for worthless unaccredited programs. I’m not really sure what is gained socially or fiscally by rearranging people’s tax obligations as you suggest.. It will just result in people being mad at the new tax instead of the debt they owe the state.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Squalid posted:

Minimum payments on Federal loans are capped depending on circumstances at 10-15% of discretionary income. This in effect makes student loan repayment a progressive tax. If you haven’t paid it back after 20-25 years it can be completely forgiven.

There are a lot of problems with student loans especially private loans, but they are more like people getting scammed into taking out debt for worthless unaccredited programs. I’m not really sure what is gained socially or fiscally by rearranging people’s tax obligations as you suggest.. It will just result in people being mad at the new tax instead of the debt they owe the state.

it's politically really convenient, though

kill the student debt and you win basically a whole generation's worth of at least flirtation with the left

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

it's politically really convenient, though

kill the student debt and you win basically a whole generation's worth of at least flirtation with the left

The big issue, is you are cutting taxes on middle class professionals while doing nothing for the most vulnerable like illegal immigrants or elderly pensioners. They provide only a little relief to the kind of working class people who leftists need to win over like firefighters or plumbers because they have very little student loan debt. Of course cutting taxes is popular, but how do you convert that into new leftist policy? Now you have to sell the same people on tax increases of a similar magnitude. Of course the rich need to be taxed much more, but that’s true even before you do anything to student loans.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Squalid posted:

The big issue, is you are cutting taxes on middle class professionals while doing nothing for the most vulnerable like illegal immigrants or elderly pensioners. They provide only a little relief to the kind of working class people who leftists need to win over like firefighters or plumbers because they have very little student loan debt. Of course cutting taxes is popular, but how do you convert that into new leftist policy? Now you have to sell the same people on tax increases of a similar magnitude. Of course the rich need to be taxed much more, but that’s true even before you do anything to student loans.

Of course the rich need to be taxed more, and since you're doing tax hikes anyway you might as well cut student loans at the same time.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Of course the rich need to be taxed more, and since you're doing tax hikes anyway you might as well cut student loans at the same time.

But it’s like. . . If you just want to stimulate the economy and help the working class it would be much more efficient to just give €10,000 each to the bottom two income quartiles. Then you aren’t wasting the 50-60% of the debt forgiveness that would go to doctors and lawyers and computer scientists. It would be dramatically more progressive

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Education should be free

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Squalid posted:

you're building a movement. if these people have voted for, and received, something very important to them, you can probably leverage that into a more general left-wing direction - it's a group which is a necessary component of a left-wing coalition, and they're swing voters

tbh i doubt that full relief is going to happen (or should happen, even), but one should at least make noises about it and give them something. we do need them, and it's a pretty easy policy to have

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Andrast posted:

Education should be free

as a part of a more general decommodisation of education, i do agree that student loans etc should see a lot of reform. in isolation, it's not an awfully progressive policy, but it is a very popular one among a key constituency

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I am confused as to the relevance of American federal student loans to European politics.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Squalid posted:

But it’s like. . . If you just want to stimulate the economy and help the working class it would be much more efficient to just give €10,000 each to the bottom two income quartiles. Then you aren’t wasting the 50-60% of the debt forgiveness that would go to doctors and lawyers and computer scientists. It would be dramatically more progressive
No, you're not, because you're already raising taxes on high earners and if you're really anal about not letting doctors and lawyers and computer grognards have free stuff you can bump the top bracket tax rate up another few points to pay for student loan forgiveness.

Also, if you don't believe that

Andrast posted:

Education should be free
you're not being very progressive, and should show yourself to the wall. People should be able to receive advanced education for reasons other than getting rich, and making it free allows poors to take advantage of this. If people decide to study whatever increases their salary most they will subsidise English majors and historians via their taxes.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
education does need pretty fundamental reform though, for real

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I am confused as to the relevance of American federal student loans to European politics.

Grate Britane is part of Europe (for now, until Boris Johnson personally hires Nige as a consultant who finds a contractor to attach giant engines to Albion to sail into the middle of the Pacific). Grate Britane is doing its best to reach US levels of idiocy wrt student loans, and the average student is now officially not expected to ever pay that poo poo off leading to massive holes in the budget.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I think income taxes are generally high enough in Europe already, so tax policy should be more focussed in restricting base shifting undertaken by corporations.

Now, if we want to tax the rich where it hurts, we have to stop focussing on income and start finding ways to effectively tax the fortunes itself, i.e. property taxes, inheritances taxes, etc.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I was trying to go for an easy example.

A more important example is poor African countries' debts to European and American countries should be immediately cancelled. Especially if those countries just got a democratically elected government after deposing a dictator. Why the gently caress should the people be held indebted for the actions of a despot?

Randler posted:

I think income taxes are generally high enough in Europe already, so tax policy should be more focussed in restricting base shifting undertaken by corporations.

Now, if we want to tax the rich where it hurts, we have to stop focussing on income and start finding ways to effectively tax the fortunes itself, i.e. property taxes, inheritances taxes, etc.

100% inheritance tax. 105% top marginal income tax rate. Income from dividends treated the same as income from labour. Financial transaction tax. Luxury tax. Carbon tax, hell just loving tax the poo poo out of damaging externalities in general.

Tax these motherfuckers so much they won't believe it, then tax them some more.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 27, 2019

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

I was trying to go for an easy example.

A more important example is poor African countries' debts to European and American countries should be immediately cancelled. Especially if those countries just got a democratically elected government after deposing a dictator. Why the gently caress should the people be held indebted for the actions of a despot?

Because the internationally recognised government took out these loans and the new government has to honour previous commitments it's not a dictatorship if they aren't commies our creditors want to get paid our creditors want to pretend they'll ever get paid for accounting reasons.

Duh.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Randler posted:

Off-topic, but I'm wondering are there any reasons for states not to implement a general wealth tax. Why do we only tax someone's estate when they die? Are there practical reasons why implementing one wouldn't work?

IMO for a hypothetical total wealth tax the marginal tax rate should be 100% for estates worth more than ~$10 million, with some limited exceptions for primary residence etc. We shouldn't tolerate mega-millionaires, much less billionaires at all.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

^^^
The Netherlands has a wealth tax. You gotta be real wealthy before it amounts to anything approaching a significant amount though. You pay 416 euros on your first 100K. Then a further 12.302 euros on your first million. Then a further 16.800 euros per million above that. Each year.

Because the internationally recognised government took out these loans and the new government has to honour previous commitments it's not a dictatorship if they aren't commies our creditors want to get paid our creditors want to pretend they'll ever get paid for accounting reasons.

Duh.

Forcing people to continue making payments on the weapon systems their deposed tyrant bought to slaughter them is exactly the same as making people pay for their own train tickets to the death camps.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 27, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Orange Devil posted:

^^^
The Netherlands has a wealth tax. You gotta be real wealthy before it amounts to anything approaching a significant amount though. You pay 416 euros on your first 100K. Then a further 12.302 euros on your first million. Then a further 16.800 euros per million above that. Each year.

Forcing people to continue making payments on the weapon systems their deposed tyrant bought to slaughter them is exactly the same as making people pay for their own train tickets to the death camps.

Tell me where I'm wrong.

well what's your alternative, just giving the tyrant those weapons

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Nocturtle posted:

Off-topic, but I'm wondering are there any reasons for states not to implement a general wealth tax. Why do we only tax someone's estate when they die? Are there practical reasons why implementing one wouldn't work?

IMO for a hypothetical total wealth tax the marginal tax rate should be 100% for estates worth more than ~$10 million, with some limited exceptions for primary residence etc. We shouldn't tolerate mega-millionaires, much less billionaires at all.

A relative of mine was a government tax person. He said the wealth tax was eventually scrapped because its enforcement exceeded the income generated. One could argue that the amount of wealth redistribution and stable careers created would easily justify a tax that isn't 100% profitable. Or you might question whether the tax would really be as unprofitable at feared. I mean, seems to be pretty straightforward in the Netherlands. But it's been more than 20 years now, and only the "unelectables" have ever dared bringing it back up.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

Because rich people would get angry and we can't have that. Also, depending on your level of liberal brain rot, you might think it's unfair.

Orange Devil posted:

Tell me where I'm wrong.

I don't think you "get" capitalism or international relations.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Lord Stimperor posted:

A relative of mine was a government tax person. He said the wealth tax was eventually scrapped because its enforcement exceeded the income generated. One could argue that the amount of wealth redistribution and stable careers created would easily justify a tax that isn't 100% profitable. Or you might question whether the tax would really be as unprofitable at feared. I mean, seems to be pretty straightforward in the Netherlands. But it's been more than 20 years now, and only the "unelectables" have ever dared bringing it back up.

it's funny how this argument is only ever used when it concerns rich people

if it's not bringing in money, increase the loving thing. squeeze the money out of them like water from a sponge

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

it's funny how this argument is only ever used when it concerns rich people

if it's not bringing in money, increase the loving thing. squeeze the money out of them like water from a sponge
Property/wealth taxes should be thought of as paying the government for running society in a way that lets you have things rather than get beset by a mob bearing torches and pitchforks.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Thanks for the replies. I find it increasingly weird that we tolerate the existence of billionaires in our society. 99.99% of people should be on-board with taxing them out of existence, it shouldn't be a fringe opinion.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Nocturtle posted:

Thanks for the replies. I find it increasingly weird that we tolerate the existence of billionaires in our society. 99.99% of people should be on-board with taxing them out of existence, it shouldn't be a fringe opinion.

But what if you become a billionaire? Would you want lazy civil servants and poors to waste your hard earned money???

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I reckon I'd like not getting guillotined, yeah

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Kassad posted:

I reckon I'd like not getting guillotined, yeah

Long term thinking detected, does not compute

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Grate Britane is part of Europe (for now, until Boris Johnson personally hires Nige as a consultant who finds a contractor to attach giant engines to Albion to sail into the middle of the Pacific). Grate Britane is doing its best to reach US levels of idiocy wrt student loans, and the average student is now officially not expected to ever pay that poo poo off leading to massive holes in the budget.

I mean thats fine but we don't need to involve the yanks in that case, abolishing that poo poo was in the 2017 Labour manifesto and afaik remains party policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Can I just briefly say that this thread has gotten so much nicer and more informative when the fascists were booted out so we don't have to go round and round about 'why austerity is secretly good!' anymore.