Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

2014 me: let's get a KTM LC4 it'll be easy to work on.

2015 me: holy poo poo a full day for an oil change and filters and I needed to build a filling tool to get the oil into the frame.

It leaks so much by now in arguing if I should just forego oil changes for total loss refill.

Also there's a 50/50 chance the main leak is the outer kick starter shaft seal which is nasty to pry out or the shifter shaft o-rings which require splitting the engine. Fun times.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Simply lay bike on side to fill oil filter housing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Admittedly I've only worked on the S1000XR, but the R motor platform isn't bad, and the Boxers seem okay for most stuff except gently caress doing a clutch ever. Or final drives. But shaft drives are banned from the eyes of god so whatever.

I'm pretty curious though about what you don't like about KTMs - in all the ones I've worked on, they've definitely got some weird poo poo (why so many filters? DURPKAR) and the early LC4 oil change procedure is absurd due to the dry sump setup, but everything 1190/later architecture seems fine and the 950/990 motors are stout as poo poo with a couple of known maintenance items. Besides that, their dirtbikes are amazing to work on because there's an expectation you have to fix it on the side of the desert unaided, and I've never been unhappy about working on any of the 690s.

lol gently caress boxer clutches.

Yeah no poo poo. They come apart logically and without hassle. Jetting adjustments on the dr/drz drove me almost to rage. Ye olde 950? four minutes. Minor service, 20-30 mins. Major service ~4 hours. Includes retorquing heads as I've not bothered with the updated head nuts, nor really give a poo poo. lol 3 oil filters. yea drz has em too, except one you can't get at, and the other gets ignored unless it blows up. I check the screens at the major service, it's not needed otherwise. The major service is cathartic for me and I get to dig around for potential problems.

Unplanned failures? stator failure(58,804mi), Chinesium fuel pump courtesy of the PO. The FP failed in Death Valley, less than a mile from where my husband's DR650 swallowed a valve 3 years prior. pulled the pump, topped the tank off and made it to Pahrump using gravity feed where a temporary generic pump was spliced in. There's not any factory KTM things that stand out in memory that continually cause hassles, like the drz did with cheese grade hardware, stators and final drive parts.

I've created some of my own hassles and deal with some POthings like the hosed up countershaft that I'm not ever gonna bother fixing properly. This bike has too many miles for me to give a poo poo about splitting cases. When it blows up I'll fix the issue by spooning a 990 into the frame.

Maybe mine is a fluke. it is a first year model from ktm's dark ages that was built with whatever was laying on the shop floor that day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Admittedly I've only worked on the S1000XR, but the R motor platform isn't bad, and the Boxers seem okay for most stuff except gently caress doing a clutch ever. Or final drives. But shaft drives are banned from the eyes of god so whatever.

I'm pretty curious though about what you don't like about KTMs - in all the ones I've worked on, they've definitely got some weird poo poo (why so many filters? DURPKAR) and the early LC4 oil change procedure is absurd due to the dry sump setup, but everything 1190/later architecture seems fine and the 950/990 motors are stout as poo poo with a couple of known maintenance items. Besides that, their dirtbikes are amazing to work on because there's an expectation you have to fix it on the side of the desert unaided, and I've never been unhappy about working on any of the 690s.

690's are ridiculously fragile and hilariously overcomplicated for a single cylinder, I've had to so much dumb poo poo with those bikes I don't even want to start. Plus they have that absolutely infuriating bathtub shaped cat you have to take off every time you change the oil so you don't get like half a liter pooling on top of the exhaust. I've never worked on the newer style v-twins, but the older lc8 can stuck my balls as it is also overly complicated and fragile and tends to leak, all for an engine that makes horrible noises and only feels more powerful than a sv1000/vtr1000 when you're riding the SD version. Not to mention it's often married to an absolutely stupid bike layout.

On their dirt bikes none of this dumb poo poo matters as much but I'd dispute them being fixable on the trail when you need a special tool to get the axle out ffs.

BMW s1000? Really not so bad except for the idiotic chain tensioner and the fact that you can't reset the oil change light without a $400 tool or a BMW dealer. Oh and the coolant reservoir being 2" from the exhaust header, that's a masterstroke.

E: while I'm here: the s1k bikes are simple and pleasant to work on, they're enormously successful in racing, and they're laid out just like a Japanese bike and seem to have nothing in common with every other model. These are not coincidences, but rather the result of them wanting to win races and realising there was no point reinventing a wheel the Japanese invented twenty years ago. We know very well what works and what doesn't and even the most special flower brands always cave in and build something Japan-esque when they get serious about winning.

All the rotax single cylinder models are flaming garbage and can gently caress off. I've very little experience with boxers, but what I do have gave me the impression of pointless complexity and disturbingly car-like architecture, which may not matter that much but triggers me really hard. The old laying-down i3/i4 bikes are pieces of poo poo too. In general all the old man BMW's seem to have engines that can demolish the miles no problems surrounded by electrical systems made of instant noodles and everything else made of insane proprietary designs for no discernible reason. And final drive replacement as a maintenance item.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 20, 2019

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

On their dirt bikes none of this dumb poo poo matters as much but I'd dispute them being fixable on the trail when you need a special tool to get the axle out ffs.

...The large wrench that comes with the bike? It's two pinch clamps and a cap on the front and a big nut on the back, just like every single other bike I've ever owned, I have two sets of wheels and swapping them over (including speedo magnet replacement and caliper shimming, because my dirt wheels are set up for Brembo brakes not Magura) takes 20 minutes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

...The large wrench that comes with the bike? It's two pinch clamps and a cap on the front and a big nut on the back, just like every single other bike I've ever owned, I have two sets of wheels and swapping them over (including speedo magnet replacement and caliper shimming, because my dirt wheels are set up for Brembo brakes not Magura) takes 20 minutes.

I'm talking about the front axle specifically. They must've improved things because every KTM I've seen has had a bolt on one end and a hollow nothing on the other so you have to drive the axle out with a drift or buy a farkle that lets you pull it out by hand. Like there's no way of grasping the axle once you take the cap bolt off.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Maybe part of the s1000 being good has to do with the main engineering involving throwing a blueprint of a yamaha r6 engine into the copy machine and selecting a 10/6 scale factor.

I joke, the s1000 is the one European bike I really really want aside from the ducati 848 which I know is gonna haunt me later.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

Maybe part of the s1000 being good has to do with the main engineering involving throwing a blueprint of a yamaha r6 engine into the copy machine and selecting a 10/6 scale factor.

I joke, the s1000 is the one European bike I really really want aside from the ducati 848 which I know is gonna haunt me later.

It was a cbr1000rr engine and frame dumped on the engineers' desks but you are otherwise correct.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mounted painted fairings on my bike. Very underwhelmed. Paint came out good but it’s no pro job and is already scratching in places despite clear coat.

gently caress it, I’m living with it. If I ever paint my bike again I’ll just do army green flat rattlecan, that way it’s easy to touch up.

...... and now I have to figure out why my rear brake doesn’t illuminate the tail light. Hopefully I just futzed the connector, but I pre-emptively ordered a new switch just in case, since I have a week until I take it in for safety, and it was really cheap.

And dang it, I keep forgetting to take pics.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

put new brake fluid in the 1290 before heading to Banff in under two weeks! riding over to Nashville a week after that as well. I Am Prepared :D

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Banff is awesome, I was there with family and not on a bike, but I kept on seeing people on bikes and it looked like a lot of fun. Except for the being unable to plan for the weather, as it changed every 30 mins. Lot of couples on BMWs wearing Aerostitch.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Well, why the gently caress not.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Banff is awesome, I was there with family and not on a bike, but I kept on seeing people on bikes and it looked like a lot of fun. Except for the being unable to plan for the weather, as it changed every 30 mins. Lot of couples on BMWs wearing Aerostitch.

lol yeah that'll be my dad for sure

I love that the campsites up there tell you smoking weed is legal specifically within your site. travelling over to nashville will be not as fun being unable to legally burn one right before bed :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Where you going in Banff? I'm bored with it (unlike Kananaskis) but I only ever stick to the slab there cause a. I haven't properly rode gravel in a long time and b. the 1A inside the park needs a park pass and gets super crowded around Johnston Canyon

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Phy posted:

Where you going in Banff? I'm bored with it (unlike Kananaskis) but I only ever stick to the slab there cause a. I haven't properly rode gravel in a long time and b. the 1A inside the park needs a park pass and gets super crowded around Johnston Canyon

everywhere in banff and jasper really! we only have a couple nights booked at campgrounds (lake louise and pocahontas) and are gonna walk up to the rest. we're there for a little over a week and a half. so lots of hiking and possibly some back country stuff. really tried not to plan too terribly much stuff as I find travel is not as fun when you're stuck to a rigid itinerary, but we do have a few walk up sites we'd like to hit up on a tentative list

most of our offroad / gravel stuff will be out in gifford pinchot as we're taking a very scenic route. that and idaho will have a lot of doubletrack wide enough for my dad on his Dad Bike

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jasper has a place called Downstream Restaurant and Lounge, which to be honest had a bit too much of a hip / loungey feel to it, but they do have a burger named the Ken D.P. Challenge that's ridiculous . It's a burger with a beef patty, topped with a chicken breast, smoked duck, double bacon, cheddar, and mozzarella, which is served in an oversized martini glass with a double order of poutine. If you finish it, you get a free dessert. We had a guy in our group who's known for eating ridiculous amounts of meat try to do it, he ate the whole burger but gave up on the poutine.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Finished dad-biking my dad bike by installing an EZCan piggyback CANbus controller, Squadron Pro aux lights (these are WAY too loving bright, holy poo poo), an aux LED tail/brake light, and one of those mini compressor horns.

The EZCan is pretty dope, but they need to include something a little thicker than 22 gauge wire on the pigtails they supply. Screw splicing that to 16 or 14 gauge wire. Bought some compatible connectors and crimped them onto the power leads I made instead.

I thought Americans had the monopoly on eating like pigs. drat.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

MomJeans420 posted:

Jasper has a place called Downstream Restaurant and Lounge, which to be honest had a bit too much of a hip / loungey feel to it, but they do have a burger named the Ken D.P. Challenge that's ridiculous . It's a burger with a beef patty, topped with a chicken breast, smoked duck, double bacon, cheddar, and mozzarella, which is served in an oversized martini glass with a double order of poutine. If you finish it, you get a free dessert. We had a guy in our group who's known for eating ridiculous amounts of meat try to do it, he ate the whole burger but gave up on the poutine.

lol rad. I could never pull it off, but I do enjoy poutine :D

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Fixed it!

Lately i've been seeing some FZ1 dash freakouts when I come to a stop, needles dancing and lights blinking. Suspected something 'lectric, as it'd go away with a rev or two.

Last night the dash completely died and the lights started dimming so I got back in the driveway with 50 feet to spare before the battery gave up.

Freaked out and ordered a stator - but then I poked around some.

aaaaaaaaand

R/R harness smoked. That's the ground line. I shined it up with a needle file, cut most of the burned poo poo off and re-pinched the female to clamp onto the spade a bit better and saw charging volts again.

Going to the store in a bit to buy some butt crimps and i'll just bypass that pin with some AWG 10 i have lying around.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Fixed it!

Lately i've been seeing some FZ1 dash freakouts when I come to a stop, needles dancing and lights blinking. Suspected something 'lectric, as it'd go away with a rev or two.

Last night the dash completely died and the lights started dimming so I got back in the driveway with 50 feet to spare before the battery gave up.

Freaked out and ordered a stator - but then I poked around some.

aaaaaaaaand

R/R harness smoked. That's the ground line. I shined it up with a needle file, cut most of the burned poo poo off and re-pinched the female to clamp onto the spade a bit better and saw charging volts again.

Going to the store in a bit to buy some butt crimps and i'll just bypass that pin with some AWG 10 i have lying around.

If the RR is anything like the R1 ones, you'll need one shortly.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Exact same connector, exact same issues, from what I'm reading. Thinking of getting ahead of the poo poo and just hard splicing all five and ordering a RR for hot spare.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Exact same connector, exact same issues, from what I'm reading. Thinking of getting ahead of the poo poo and just hard splicing all five and ordering a RR for hot spare.

In that case I'd suggest investigating the stator rotor disintegration thing they sometimes so, afaik there is a permanent fix for it nowadays.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Quick googling - looks like the magnets come unglued and go destroy everything ferrous in the engine...yeesh.

that being said it appears as though '02's dodged it, most posts are saying 06+ fz1.

Thanks for the callout though, i'll investigate further

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

Quick googling - looks like the magnets come unglued and go destroy everything ferrous in the engine...yeesh.

that being said it appears as though '02's dodged it, most posts are saying 06+ fz1.

Thanks for the callout though, i'll investigate further

I've done a couple on r1's, the resulting carnage is pretty overstated. All the chunks just harmlessly fall directly down through a hole and into the sump, so if it happens you just need to take the exhaust and sump off, clean everything out and change the oil. It's one of those weird moments when Yamaha decided to think German and design a tiny, overdriven stacked stator so as to make the engine a couple of inches narrower.

If your stator is on the end of the crank you don't need to worry.

DB Pooper
Mar 27, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I would eat it if it was served on a plate

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Some chain adjustment for like the third time this week (had to order that straightedge tool that clamps on the sprocket to get a good idea of its alignment, I haven't missed adjusting the my chain....)

Also put on the Chic Design fairing I ordered from Japan like 2-3 months ago. Easy install, looks really good, haven't had a chance to test it yet at highway speeds but I'll be going on a ride later today.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Picked up a screw in the rear tire of the GL1000. Was irritated because I just bought these tires this summer!! Look at my odometer, oh that was still 5,000 miles ago. This was at work, one city over, and I already used my Roadside’s one free tow for the week (my Trooper broke a throttle cable) so I had to actually plug and patch the tire. I’ll wait until the morning to see how it holds.
Garbage set of tires anyways 🤷🏼‍♂️

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm having trouble adjusting my chain too. I just can't get it to ride straight. I don't know if my front sprocket is different than the one I had on previously (I went back to JT 14 tooth vs mystery 15 tooth the PO put on the bike), dimensionally, but the chain seems to bend inward and no amount of fiddling seems to get it running in a direct straight line. I'll ask the guys at the shop to do it for me on Thursday since I'm apparently an incapable baby, but it's a little demoralizing.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

ADINSX posted:

Some chain adjustment for like the third time this week (had to order that straightedge tool that clamps on the sprocket to get a good idea of its alignment, I haven't missed adjusting the my chain....)

Also put on the Chic Design fairing I ordered from Japan like 2-3 months ago. Easy install, looks really good, haven't had a chance to test it yet at highway speeds but I'll be going on a ride later today.

This bike is absolutely gorgeous. I don't see the need to pony up for the cafe considering how many nice aftermarket fairings there are for the 900rs, unless you just really like the green. I'd go root beer + half fairing.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

I'm having trouble adjusting my chain too. I just can't get it to ride straight. I don't know if my front sprocket is different than the one I had on previously (I went back to JT 14 tooth vs mystery 15 tooth the PO put on the bike), dimensionally, but the chain seems to bend inward and no amount of fiddling seems to get it running in a direct straight line. I'll ask the guys at the shop to do it for me on Thursday since I'm apparently an incapable baby, but it's a little demoralizing.

You have a ninja250 right? Mine sucked to adjust the chain on and get the axle tight enough on. Really, most bikes suck to adjust the chain on.

It can help to adjust all the way in to a set stop point on both sides, then obsessively count an equal number of turns for each side to tighten.

When you are getting the axle tight on the rear, put all your weight on the tire to hold it forward against the stops you set. Otherwise, it likes misalign itself.

And tighten the rear axle further than you think (or to torque spec). I thought it was tight on my ex 250 and it kept yanking out of alignment when I'd put load on the brake or chain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Awesome info, thanks. Yeah, this is what I'm fighting with. The adjustment system is just so sloppy :[

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Gorson posted:

This bike is absolutely gorgeous. I don't see the need to pony up for the cafe considering how many nice aftermarket fairings there are for the 900rs, unless you just really like the green. I'd go root beer + half fairing.

If Yamaha had made something this good looking with the XSR900 I would've paid the premium for it instead of buying a leftover FZ. I wish Kawi had gone with a triple as a "revival".

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

You can get a chain alignment tool for cheap, I bought one but haven't used it yet because shortly after buying it I realized my bike has marks that make it easy to ensure both sides are adjusted the same amount.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Awesome info, thanks. Yeah, this is what I'm fighting with. The adjustment system is just so sloppy :[

The trick with those sorts of adjusters is to get the chain mostly adjusted, then do the axle up like 90% tight, then do the last bit of adjustment, tighten the axle then nip up the adjusters fully.. That way the adjuster nuts end up in tension against the axle and nothing can slacken. If you overtighten you can't just loosen it off and push the axle forward cause you lose tension, gotta start from scratch.

Also are you obsessing over the chain itself being straight or is the bike not riding straight? If you can take your hands off the bars and it rides straight, job done, doesn't matter what the chain itself looks like. Often if a chain is old and tired it can look bent in the middle.

If the bike is pulling to one side, check your head bearings for notchiness as this can give nearly identical symptoms.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, also maybe check to see if your forks are turned a bit. It's easy to tweak them in a drop, and my ex250 came to me that way. If it rides straight with your hands off the bars but the bars are cockeyed, this is it. It's an easy fix if so.

But I gather what you are feeling is the back walking a bit, which is easy to notice. Don't take it to someone to fix. Follow our instructions and learn it correctly, because you will be doing it often in the coming years.

And don't feel bad. I literally came in here complaining of the same trouble like four years ago with my EX250.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Slavvy posted:

The trick with those sorts of adjusters is to get the chain mostly adjusted, then do the axle up like 90% tight, then do the last bit of adjustment, tighten the axle then nip up the adjusters fully.. That way the adjuster nuts end up in tension against the axle and nothing can slacken. If you overtighten you can't just loosen it off and push the axle forward cause you lose tension, gotta start from scratch.

Also are you obsessing over the chain itself being straight or is the bike not riding straight? If you can take your hands off the bars and it rides straight, job done, doesn't matter what the chain itself looks like. Often if a chain is old and tired it can look bent in the middle.

If the bike is pulling to one side, check your head bearings for notchiness as this can give nearly identical symptoms.

Coydog posted:

Oh yeah, also maybe check to see if your forks are turned a bit. It's easy to tweak them in a drop, and my ex250 came to me that way. If it rides straight with your hands off the bars but the bars are cockeyed, this is it. It's an easy fix if so.

But I gather what you are feeling is the back walking a bit, which is easy to notice. Don't take it to someone to fix. Follow our instructions and learn it correctly, because you will be doing it often in the coming years.

And don't feel bad. I literally came in here complaining of the same trouble like four years ago with my EX250.

I have to stress that I've owned the 250, my first bike, for only a month and a half now, and it's not registered or safetied so I'm technically not allowed to ride it, thus haven't actually been out on the road with it yet. All my obsessing is coming from watching how-to's on youtube and what I think the definition of "straight" should be. I'm taking it in for it's official safety inspection tomorrow morning so after that I should be able to head to the licensing office to get it plated and out for its maiden voyage at which point I should be in a better place to determine if it's acting how you guys suggest I check. Assuming I'm not too hung up or scared of my first official ride to do so ;)

It's hard to describe what I see the chain doing -- it's one of these:

RS--------.__FS

where it rides mostly straight but then takes a weird dip toward the inside when it approaches the front sprocket. It's a brand new chain so I don't think it should have a lot of walk, but I'm also not experienced enough to tell if that's the case :)

I'll try one more time to do the adjustment (thanks for the great tip slavvy) tonight but in the end I'll just ask them to double-check the alignment tomorrow regardless of whether I'll be doing it myself for years to come -- it'll either be good or won't, I don't suspect it'll take them hours of labour to fix that for me.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
stop fuckin with the bike just ride it, if it feels off or does weird things THEN fix it

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
So, my trick for messing with the adjusters is to jam a rag between the chain and the rear sprocket to take up any slack and force the wheel against the adjuster blocks when tightening up the axle.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Razzled posted:

stop fuckin with the bike just ride it, if it feels off or does weird things THEN fix it

I can't ride it until tomorrow earliest. To date I think almost everything I've done is either safety or in service of getting it road-worthy in Ontario.

I replaced the chain because it was rusty. I'd also rather not gently caress up a $90 chain so I'm trying to get it right. The rear sprockets were super worn too so I replaced that.
I'm replacing the rear tire because it was comically oversized and worn out
I'm replacing the front rim because it has an ugly curb ding that will likely not pass safety
I replaced most of the wiring harness because wires were literally held together with hot glue
I replaced the under tail because it would never have passed safety
I replaced the brake lines because there was a giant gouge in the hose

I think the only thing I actually did 'just because' was to get new fairings :q:

Brigdh posted:

So, my trick for messing with the adjusters is to jam a rag between the chain and the rear sprocket to take up any slack and force the wheel against the adjuster blocks when tightening up the axle.

I think I tried to jam a screwdriver in there per some YouTube channel but I was kind of frustrated at that point so I'm not sure I did it right. Will have to try again eventually :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
drat you guys have to get your bikes safety examined? i guess in america they just consider that a self-correcting problem so we don't have to get anything inspected