Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^^^ Hear, hear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

We don't have a loving clue what the real rate of inflation is because CPI is a dumb metric.

It sounds like you really don't give a poo poo about inflation then, but want to keep track of an entirely different thing? It's like getting mad at a ruler for not being able to measure the mass of things well.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

What you do is you say "actually gently caress you creditors you don't get to hold entire generations hostage for life, that poo poo is detrimental to the society I'm trying to build here and moreover I am the loving state, I have an army, come at me".

Generally a lot of debt is domestic so now you’re cancelling debt owned by your own pension funds or banks that then fail and wipe out your own savings. On a national scale it doesn’t really matter as it just shifts wealth around within the country from bondholders to taxpayers but it’s super unpopular nonetheless. Or you just cancel foreign debt and become locked out of lending markets because foreign governments also have armies and can say “No actually your debt still exists”. So now you can’t borrow and have to cut spending a.k.a. austerity. There’s a reason Argentina eventually made deals with their creditors and Greece didn’t unilaterally declare their debts didn’t exist anymore: If you can’t borrow you’re doomed to perpetual austerity.

I’m not advocating for that system but until it is destroyed it is the system we have and the reality is that you can’t cancel debt without serious repercussions.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

fishmech posted:

It sounds like you really don't give a poo poo about inflation then, but want to keep track of an entirely different thing? It's like getting mad at a ruler for not being able to measure the mass of things well.

Wut? Am I about to be fishmeched?
Is CPI also used to measure mass in Germany? That's pretty advanced.

Germany Consumer Price Index (CPI)

In Germany, the most important categories in the consumer price index are Housing, water, electricity, gas & other fuels (32 percent of the total weight), Transport (13 percent), Recreation, entertainment & culture (11 percent) and Food & non-alcoholic beverages (10 percent). The index also includes Miscellaneous goods & services (7 percent), Furniture, lighting equipment, appliances & other household equipment (5 percent), Restaurant & accommodation services (5 percent), Health (5 percent) and Clothing & footwear (5 percent). The remaining 7 percent of the index is composed by Alcoholic beverages & tobacco, Communication and Education. "

Spot the problem.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wut? Am I about to be fishmeched?
Is CPI also used to measure mass in Germany? That's pretty advanced.

Germany Consumer Price Index (CPI)

In Germany, the most important categories in the consumer price index are Housing, water, electricity, gas & other fuels (32 percent of the total weight), Transport (13 percent), Recreation, entertainment & culture (11 percent) and Food & non-alcoholic beverages (10 percent). The index also includes Miscellaneous goods & services (7 percent), Furniture, lighting equipment, appliances & other household equipment (5 percent), Restaurant & accommodation services (5 percent), Health (5 percent) and Clothing & footwear (5 percent). The remaining 7 percent of the index is composed by Alcoholic beverages & tobacco, Communication and Education. "

Spot the problem.

Yeah there's no particular problem there? You have to decide on baskets of goods in order to have any hope of tracking inflation of currency. That's what the whole concept is about.

You seem to be demanding that something else be measured since you hate the idea of tracking consumer prices when consumer prices are the inflation that's relevant.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

fishmech posted:

Yeah there's no particular problem there? You have to decide on baskets of goods in order to have any hope of tracking inflation of currency. That's what the whole concept is about.

You seem to be demanding that something else be measured since you hate the idea of tracking consumer prices when consumer prices are the inflation that's relevant.

No, I said that the cpi is a stupid metric, because it's components are weighted in ways that don't make sense, or lag the real world "weight",sometimes by years.
Housing, for example , is the big elephant in the room.
Stuff like the HICP is much better at this.
COLI is much better at dealing with te substitution problem.
Or the billion price index from MIT.

And yet we still use CPI to calculate drat near everything,from gdp to government spending .

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

No, I said that the cpi is a stupid metric, because it's components are weighted in ways that don't make sense, or lag the real world "weight",sometimes by years.
Housing, for example , is the big elephant in the room.
Stuff like the HICP is much better at this.
COLI is much better at dealing with te substitution problem.
Or the billion price index from MIT.

And yet we still use CPI to calculate drat near everything,from gdp to government spending .

So you have no problem with CPIs besides wanting minor adjustments? The HICP is just one of many many global CPIs which isn't necessarily the best for tracking inflation in one particular country. Also no, you don't use CPIs to calculate GDPs. You compare CPIs between different countries to attempt to adjust their respective GDPs to provide a purchasing power parity adjustment on the GDP values!

And you seem to be missing that the HICP is already what's being used to govern your currency as that is explicitly the ECB's CPI measure used to control Eurozone economic policy. That's also why it's not necessarily better for measuring inflation in any particular country over time over existing country-level CPIs, since it's trying to manage a still relatively heterogeneous mixture of economies.

And finally: there is extremely minimal difference in the HICP and German domestic CPI figures for inflation in Germany in particular over the past 20-odd years that arereadily visible - they're within 0.10% and 0.03% in most years from each other.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 28, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

fishmech that poster's initial gripe was exactly that cpi is a bad measure of inflation, so it does make sense that they'd prefer something that measured sort of the same thing but more precisely

to be clear i am making no statements here about the relative merits of inflation estimators

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

V. Illych L. posted:

fishmech that poster's initial gripe was exactly that cpi is a bad measure of inflation, so it does make sense that they'd prefer something that measured sort of the same thing but more precisely

to be clear i am making no statements here about the relative merits of inflation estimators

But the vaunted better measurements he lists result in very very minor changes in inflation rates - because of course they would, these are relatively refined CPI models by now. They're all going to be CPI based because measurements that only deal with prices for government or prices for business tend not to be useful for targeting monetary policy - and rawer systems like just looking at the size of the money supply can't tell you how prices or any other value metrics of the money have been affected on their own.

It looks like what he wants is really not an inflation measure at all but some sort of nebulous affordability measure - which no pure inflation metric can get you. That is instead the domain of things like tracking wages versus inflation vs employment/benefit availability rates. Or other such multifactor approaches.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Nocturtle posted:

Thanks for the replies. I find it increasingly weird that we tolerate the existence of billionaires in our society. 99.99% of people should be on-board with taxing them out of existence, it shouldn't be a fringe opinion.

It's impossible to be both a billionaire and a morally decent human being at the same time.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Let's also drop the guillotine pretense, a guillotine is far too kind, it's for killing foppish French aristocrats. The people we have now deserve something from earlier centuries.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Get into the bull, Wolfgang

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Let's also drop the guillotine pretense, a guillotine is far too kind, it's for killing foppish French aristocrats. The people we have now deserve something from earlier centuries.

Foppish wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe the brutal repression of the ancien regime tbh.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 28, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

Foppish wouldn't be the word I'd use to describe the brutal repression of the ancien regime tbh.

Yeah but even that is not on the order of "causing human extinction" or "running eugenicist pedo ring".

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

In a bit of current EU news, what with Von der Leyen now selecting her Commissioners etc. As you (probably?) know, the Greens/IFA group in parliament voted against her confirmation as EC president, mainly on the basis that they believe that she won't be active enough on climate change.

This was a bit of a pickle because there's an overall sense that because the Greens gained so many seats in the EP, they should also have at least one Commissioner from a party in the Greens group - I mean, it's literally the least they can do so they intend to do just that.

Want to guess how VDL went about finding a 'Green' commissioner? This is a really good example of how Brussels' sausage actually gets made.

quote:

Top Green MEP says Commission pick not 'green' enough

ZEHDENICK, Germany — The Greens’ complaints about EU climate policy will not be placated by the nomination of a commissioner affiliated with their group in the European Parliament, Green co-leader Ska Keller said Tuesday.

Lithuania has nominated its interim economy minister, Virginijus Sinkevičius, to become the country’s next commissioner in Ursula von der Leyen’s incoming European Commission. Sinkevičius’ Farmers and Greens Union is under the umbrella of the Greens/European Free Alliance group in the Parliament, though it is not a member of the political family, the European Greens Party.

But Keller told POLITICO that if Sinkevičius does become a commissioner, it would not be enough to address the party’s criticism that von der Leyen lacks concrete proposals for fighting climate change. Green MEPs rejected von der Leyen’s nomination as Commission president in the Parliament over such complaints.

“This does not at all satisfy our requests,” Keller said of Sinkevičius’ nomination, speaking to POLITICO in Germany ahead of an upcoming election in her home state of Brandenburg. “I don’t know [Sinkevičius] personally and I hope we’re going to meet in September. It’s great that he’s going to be there, definitely. But he’s not a member of the European Greens.”

Sinkevičius’ Farmers and Greens Union (LVŽS) has two members in Parliament and the agrarian party often pushes policies to the right of other Green groups.

Keller said the faction will convene in the Parliament the week after next to firm up its position as a round of commissioner confirmation hearings approach. National governments nominate commissioners, who are then approved individually by the Commission president. The Parliament then gives the final rubber stamp to the president’s package of commissioners.

European Council President Donald Tusk expressed support for having a Green commissioner earlier this summer, telling lawmakers he would “appeal to all my partners to involve the Greens in the nominations, even though there is still no European Council leader from this party.”

Green parties are in government in Luxembourg, Finland and Sweden, but all of these countries have nominated officials from other factions to be their commissioner for the next five-year term.

“On the commissioners, there’s only so much we can do,” said Keller.

Keller added that the Greens would continue to push for stronger climate targets under von der Leyen’s Commission, and in particular try to secure firm climate mitigating measures and better reforms of the Common Agricultural Policy — the EU’s mammoth farming subsidies scheme.

“We’ve been clear that our support will only come with content, on agriculture and climate issues,” said Keller.

So he's not a green, he's mostly a farmer (though that doesn't always, necessarily mean it can't overlap) and he votes to the right of actual greens. A nice, symbolic gesture of absolutely nothing. Now why on earth don't the Greens trust that the next round of Commissioners won't actually want to, I dunno, preserve life on earth?

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Aug 28, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

we're loving doomed

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Owling Howl posted:

Generally a lot of debt is domestic so now you’re cancelling debt owned by your own pension funds or banks that then fail and wipe out your own savings. On a national scale it doesn’t really matter as it just shifts wealth around within the country from bondholders to taxpayers but it’s super unpopular nonetheless. Or you just cancel foreign debt and become locked out of lending markets because foreign governments also have armies and can say “No actually your debt still exists”. So now you can’t borrow and have to cut spending a.k.a. austerity. There’s a reason Argentina eventually made deals with their creditors and Greece didn’t unilaterally declare their debts didn’t exist anymore: If you can’t borrow you’re doomed to perpetual austerity.

I’m not advocating for that system but until it is destroyed it is the system we have and the reality is that you can’t cancel debt without serious repercussions.

Debtors don't have savings, creditors do. So, yup, working as intended. Also I do want to point out that radical as I am, I am not advocating for the cancelling of all debt everywhere forever. What I will say is that debt is deliberately used as an instrument of capitalist rent extraction, exploitation and subjugation. Those are the debts which are clearly harmful to what I'd consider the only legitimate political goal: building a society in accordance with Rawlsian principles of distributive justice. And thus those have to go.

You're right though, the whole international monetary system and its institutions (hello there World Bank and IMF) are designed to enforce precisely this rent extraction, precisely this exploitation and precisely this subjugation by the creditors (regardless of nationality) and the states they control (almost all of them) upon the working class of the world. And if you are middle class you're being paid off with a pittance to be complicit or at the very least look the other way while billions of people are crushed. And they absolutely will use violence to keep this gravy train rolling.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 28, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

we're loving doomed

love to see the fruits of over 20 years of neoliberal discursive hegemony and complete institutional capture to the point that even with visible signs of poo poo going down wrt global warming all they manage to do is nominate some lukewarm figurehead who will be noncommittally talking about taking action while central authorities do nothing of note.

persopolis
Mar 9, 2017

Orange Devil posted:

^^^
The Netherlands has a wealth tax. You gotta be real wealthy before it amounts to anything approaching a significant amount though. You pay 416 euros on your first 100K. Then a further 12.302 euros on your first million. Then a further 16.800 euros per million above that. Each year.

A criticism of that kind of tax that my professor for fiscal law (Michel Maus) always used to bring out was the problem of how to correctly estimate someone's taxable wealth. Sure, it's easy for taxes on registered assets like property taxes or taxes on financial assets, but a lot of wealth of the super rich is also stored as valuable collections like wines, paintings, cars.
He wrote a couple of articles about it:
https://www.demorgen.be/meningen/de-praktische-bezwaren-van-een-vermogensbelasting-zijn-niet-te-overzien~b8c02e4a/

He's kind of a neolib in my experience, and while he has some really legitimate grievances about the Belgian tax-code, I think his criticism here is kinda dumb. He talks a lot about how it's difficult to create a legally speaking non-discriminatory general wealth-tax, and while I get that an ill conceived taxation scheme just leads to a bunch of legal costs, I think he unfairly dismisses the idea on principle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

persopolis posted:

A criticism of that kind of tax that my professor for fiscal law (Michel Maus) always used to bring out was the problem of how to correctly estimate someone's taxable wealth. Sure, it's easy for taxes on registered assets like property taxes or taxes on financial assets, but a lot of wealth of the super rich is also stored as valuable collections like wines, paintings, cars.
He wrote a couple of articles about it:
https://www.demorgen.be/meningen/de-praktische-bezwaren-van-een-vermogensbelasting-zijn-niet-te-overzien~b8c02e4a/

He's kind of a neolib in my experience, and while he has some really legitimate grievances about the Belgian tax-code, I think his criticism here is kinda dumb. He talks a lot about how it's difficult to create a legally speaking non-discriminatory general wealth-tax, and while I get that an ill conceived taxation scheme just leads to a bunch of legal costs, I think he unfairly dismisses the idea on principle.

I think it's a bad objection to a wealth tax. In my view the core purpose of a wealth tax, much like property tax, is not actually to redistribute wealth (thought that it does so certainly is a plus) but to enforce productive use of wealth generating assets. If land is charged a 1% tax on value every year that means it needs to generate a minimum of 1% net value per year to not run at a loss. This is good for society because it means land is used more efficiently, property does not stand as idle and money has a cost more concrete than inflation attached to rotting in safe.

Land, property, bonds and organizations are in my opinion all examples of assets that produce wealth by themselves, independent of their speculative value. Cars, painting and gold on the other hand are non-productive assets with an entirely speculative valuation. If a rich person shifts their asset portfolio from say housing, stocks and bonds to jewelry, wine and sport-boats they will in the long-run lose wealth irregardless of a wealth tax simply due to the lack of return on capital. Because the only guarantee of value, and gain in value, of a solely speculative asset is others speculating on its scarcity, it does not generate value by itself. Hoarding jewelry is a bit like hoarding bitcoins. If they were to slip under the wealth tax radar, it would not be the worst thing in the world.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
If the token Green commissioner has to be a farmer, can I nominate José Bové instead?

His credentials include going to jail repeatedly for activism, having been expelled from both Israel and the USA, and looking like Georges Brassens.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
^^ Yessss!!!

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Gotta love that European 'we have to balance everything with everything and everyone and so ensure mediocrity throughout'.

quote:

Von der Leyen looks to overhaul Commission power structure

Ursula von der Leyen is considering plans to revamp the structure of the next European Commission.

The biggest change in a draft plan being mulled by the incoming Commission president, according to several EU officials who spoke to POLITICO, would be to give greater influence to the Commission’s vice presidents. In the current structure, vice presidents have fancy job titles (and pay packets) but little in the way of real power.

The plan now under consideration would see the executive’s top vice presidents get direct access to Commission staff, which would give them more power to inform and set legislation than now.

The existing system “wasn’t well thought out,” said a Commission official speaking on condition of anonymity.

In the outgoing Commission of Jean-Claude Juncker, his former chief-of-staff Martin Selmayr, the powerful head of the Commission secretariat who was recently ousted from his job, devised a system that apportioned portfolios ranging from energy and climate to finance and digital policy to five vice presidents who were nominally supposed to oversee commissioners.

But the vice presidents didn’t have direct access to Commission staffers working on the nuts and bolts of policy. Instead, they had to rely on a smaller pool of officials from the Secretariat General, the Commission’s in-house bureaucracy.

The idea was to balance power between newer and older member states, big and small nations, and different political groupings. But it ended up creating frustration and power clashes.

That’s because vice presidents were often overshadowed by more powerful commissioners — more often than not from Western and Nordic countries — who were in direct control of policy departments. One example is what happened with Vice President for Energy Union Maroš Šefčovič, a Slovak, who was sidelined by Spanish Energy and Climate Commissioner Miguel Arias Cañete.

That’s now being rethought.

A senior Commission official grabbed a sheet of paper and sketched out what the new Commission’s organizational structure might look like.

Under an agreement on the top EU posts hashed out by the bloc’s leaders in July, Dutch Socialist Frans Timmermans and Margrethe Vestager, the Danish liberal competition commissioner, will both be given first vice president posts. Plans under consideration now would give them much more sway than the current setup, being in charge of project teams of commissioners and their policy officials.

For example, according to an official with knowledge of the matter, plans would see Timmermans put in charge of efforts to come up with a Green New Deal — something von der Leyen promised to present within her first 100 days in office.

Relevant policy areas possibly grouped under this banner would include transport, energy and research and development. Timmermans could get a policy department under his direct supervision, meaning he’d be able to direct those bureaucrats, as well as access resources of the Secretariat General.

Von der Leyen’s transition team didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Ménage à trois

However, the structure of the new Commission is still in flux, including nominating other additional vice presidents, and how much power they’ll have. Vestager could be in charge of topics such as EU industry and competition policy. Officials cautioned that both Timmermans and Vestager are keen on the climate portfolio, one of von der Leyen’s big priorities.

The reform ideas are part of a broader effort to reflect geographical and political diversity in the executive’s leadership, and to better coordinate issues that don’t fit easily into a single Commission portfolio. Climate is a good example, as it affects everything from energy to transport, agriculture, health and more.

But breaking down policy silos relies on bureaucratic infighting skills. Revamping the system will depend on “how powerful, and how convincing” the new vice presidents are in disrupting the “cottage industries” of existing portfolios, the senior official said.

The pieces of the next Commission are slowly being put together; von der Leyen this week meets candidates for commissioner posts and hopes to come up with a complete list in the next weeks.

On Monday afternoon, she met Margaritis Schinas, the Greek candidate and current chief spokesperson of the Commission. On Tuesday, she interviewed Helena Dalli, Malta’s EU affairs minister and that country’s candidate. On Wednesday, she’s set to meet other commissioner hopefuls, including Věra Jourová, the Czech who is currently justice commissioner, Kadri Simson from Estonia and Stella Kyriakides from Cyprus, as well as Timmermans.

The need to rethink how the Commission functions is a result of the political compromises that saw von der Leyen catapulted from German defense minister to nominee for Commission president in a surprise last-minute deal, edging out Timmermans and Vestager. In order to preserve the balance between her European People’s Party, Timmermans’ Socialists and Vestager’s liberals, the two defeated candidates have to be given powerful positions.

One senior EU official dubbed it the “enlightened triumvirate of presidents” — born out of political necessity to ensure majority backing for policy proposals. For now, it’s unclear how von der Leyen, Vestager and Timmermans will share power.

“You cannot have three presidents, but you need a bizarre love triangle,” the senior official said.

(I dunno if anyone finds this sausage-making stuff interesting, let me know if you don't want to read it anymore?)

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It is interesting; and also I'm glad to read that a structure devised by Selmayr is getting dismantled and rebuilt on saner bases.

In other news, BoJo is suspending the Westminster parliament from September 10 to October 14, which is pretty hilarious in a schadenfreude way. I wonder if any British MP who voted against the deal thrice is starting to have remorse or regrets. Probably not.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I find it interesting. Please keep posting.

If one doesn't pay attention to the nuts and bolts, one risks becoming one of those idiots that just repeats propaganda about $institution.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Junior G-man posted:

Gotta love that European 'we have to balance everything with everything and everyone and so ensure mediocrity throughout'.

(I dunno if anyone finds this sausage-making stuff interesting, let me know if you don't want to read it anymore?)

It's quite interesting and also makes me want to tell those fuckers to gently caress off.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

It is interesting, and I find your personal opinions interesting, so please do keep posting

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Also, you made me discover Selmayr's fate, and, frankly, made my day.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Junior G-man posted:

:justpost:

I haven't looked through her career exhaustively, but Vestager seemed to do a pretty good job of smacking around big corps on behalf of EU consumers as competion commissioner, so anything that gives her new position more teeth to keep doing stuff like that doesn't seem all-bad.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Slashrat posted:

I haven't looked through her career exhaustively, but Vestager seemed to do a pretty good job of smacking around big corps on behalf of EU consumers as competion commissioner, so anything that gives her new position more teeth to keep doing stuff like that doesn't seem all-bad.

Vestager has probably been the only good egg of the last Commission, gotta give her props.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Her tenure as head of the Social Liberals left a real mark, though, and not in a good way. When asked about the tens of thousands who'd lose unemployment benefits as a consequence of the austerity measures she enacted, her answer was, "That's just how it is."

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

She's ruthless, but at least we've got her pointed in roughly the right direction now.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I have a general aversion to Danish politicians given uhh, literally everything I hear about their policies over the last few years.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So what's happening in Italy right now? Salvini being kicked out after crashing the government was fun. What can we expect from a 5-star/Democratic Party coalition?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

I have a general aversion to Danish politicians given uhh, literally everything I hear about their policies over the last few years.

And you would be right, but within her remit at Competition Commissioner she's done a very good job and not taken poo poo from the corporate world. I don't know enough about her outside her functioning in the EC.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

So what's happening in Italy right now? Salvini being kicked out after crashing the government was fun. What can we expect from a 5-star/Democratic Party coalition?

Latest update I got was this:

quote:

Italy’s president gave the 5Star Movement his blessing Wednesday evening to form a new government with the center-left Democratic Party. President Sergio Mattarella’s spokesman Giovanni Grasso said the parties had reached a deal to reappoint Giuseppe Conte, who belongs to neither group but is very close to the 5Stars, as prime minister. Grasso said Mattarella will officially give Conte the mandate to form a new government this morning and Conte will then have a few days to choose his Cabinet.

“We told Mattarella we are available to enter a new long-term political alliance with the Democratic Party to continue the mandate 11 million voters gave us last year without running away from our responsibilities,” 5Star leader Luigi Di Maio said after a meeting with the president. His words echo those of his PD counterpart Nicola Zingaretti. “We have made it very clear to the president this would not be a continuation of the past but a very clean break from it … it would mean turning the page on the past,” Zingaretti said. The new coalition still needs approval from parliament through a vote of confidence, Silvia Sciorilli Borrelli writes from Rome.

After meeting with Mattarella, soon-to-be-sacked deputy PM Matteo Salvini, leader of the far-right League, claimed Conte’s reappointment “was decided in Biarritz [at the G7 summit] by Brussels, Berlin and Paris” — a reference to a popular (and not totally untrue) story that former PM Silvio Berlusconi had to be convinced, back in 2011, by international partners that it might be better to resign than to take up a fight against the financial markets.

GOOD MORNING: Italy’s parliament, as eager perhaps as Britain’s — more below — to not be suspended or dissolved, will be spared fresh elections following the deal. That’s not so unusual — Italy has had five governments between 2008 and the elections last year, but only two parliaments, which both served their full term. In post-war Italian history, there were about 60 governments during 18 legislative terms. What’s missing — but has been discussed between Rome and Brussels in the past few days, according to diplomats — is an Italian commissioner.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Probably for it not to last very long. M5S and PD are two very different parties with different problems, although I guess, if you boiled both of them down to the essentials, I guess my problem with both would be "not nearly left-wing enough to actually solve our real problems".

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

On the bright side the fascists are no longer in power.

On the less bright side they will now be the main opposition to what is likely to be an ineffective center-left (ish? maybe?) government.

So things are better than they were. For now. *cue ominous music*

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

EU Politics: the European Union - For now. *cue ominous music*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
The EU is the longest cliffhanger in the history of dramatic writing.