Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I really want to buy a pop top camper van but they're too expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

PokeJoe posted:

I really want to buy a pop top camper van but they're too expensive.

Same, though I'm sure you've seen how inexpensive it can be to fit out the interior of a regular cargo van to have a pretty comfortable home away from home. Good luck

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Hi i work from home and I think the loneliness is killing me what should I do.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

stop working
leave your home

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

keep adopting cats and dont stop until the DA forbids you from adopting anymore under the threat of jailtime.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Methanar posted:

have kids and also go to the gym daily

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Just took a 2 hour nap. I feel like death. I'm just trying to waste time indefinitely towards no particular goal.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I can't do any one particular thing for more than 20 minutes before slowly shuffling to some other distraction (slowly to maximum time spent on the transition).

A lot has happened in the last 3 months that was supposed to be good and help me, but it didn't. Now I'm faced with the spectre of the coming winter and oh boy I don't know if I'm going to survive another one of those.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Methanar posted:

Do you have a laptop? You could try working from different locales, e.g. coffee shops, libraries, even a city park on a nice day.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Do you have a laptop? You could try working from different locales, e.g. coffee shops, libraries, even a city park on a nice day.

I can't get any work done without like 3x 1440p worth of screen space.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
get a new job imo

and a pair of skis for the winter

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've left my house for maybe 2 hours in the last 12 days.

I don't have anywhere to go. I stopped even taking my walks that I was forcing myself to go on for a while and didn't really notice.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

big scary monsters posted:

get a new job imo

and a pair of skis for the winter

I just got a new job. And moved to a big city out of a small town.

Its done nothing. My kind of job doesn't exist anywhere within like, 1000km minimum anyway.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I don't know what to do. I haven't gotten any work done since I started my job new 2 months ago. and this is only going to get worse from here.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

get therapy

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i'm not being snarky either you seriously sound miserable

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

I can't possibly rationalize spending 200 dollars an hour to talk to somebody as being something that would help.

I've spent 2000 hours talking to myself in the last 3 years and that hasn't helped at all.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 28, 2019

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
oh hey I missed my first 1:1 with my boss because it was my first one and I don't know the times and didn't bother to check when I accepted the invitation. and i didn't see the outlook pop up because i haven't been able to bring myself to actually sit in front of my laptop for the last 5 hours

he didn't say anything in slack or anything. so whatever I guess.

too bad because I had a lot to talk about.

tomorrow is going to be a bad day too. i just dont want to do anything anymore.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 28, 2019

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=214

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

i dont want to talk to non computer touchers

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Methanar posted:

oh hey I missed my first 1:1 with my boss because it was my first one and I don't know the times and didn't bother to check when I accepted the invitation. and i didn't see the outlook pop up because i haven't been able to bring myself to actually sit in front of my laptop for the last 5 hours

he didn't say anything in slack or anything. so whatever I guess.

too bad because I had a lot to talk about.

tomorrow is going to be a bad day too. i just dont want to do anything anymore.

get therapy, friend

e: i also need to get therapy lol

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

get therapy, friend

e: i also need to get therapy lol

its unthinkable to me that wasting my money on that can help. At my last job I abused my 1:1s to use my boss as a therapist, it only helped for about the length of time I talked and 15 minutes after.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

money is worthless if you don't spend it on things that matter

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

money is worthless if you don't spend it on things that matter

literally nothing matters unironically.

im just intentionally deliberately wasting time to get closer to nothing. theres no future event I'm waiting for.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar posted:

im just intentionally deliberately wasting time to get closer to nothing. theres no future event I'm waiting for.

the nebulous future event i spent 2 years waiting for was getting a new job and a new place to live.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Methanar posted:

while life may have no inherent meaning, you can live a meaningful life. sounds like you need more connections with other people; maybe do some volunteering or take up a hobby

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Get a therapist, hit the gym, and lawyer up

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
there is an inherent risk in taking a new job that it will not be what you expected

also it is not wrong to be frustrated by remote work, the whole concept is largely MBA-driven

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 28, 2019

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Also the people I've come across who work remote for years on end, typically do so at home with family. Going it alone like a prisoner is rare.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Methanar posted:

I can't possibly rationalize spending 200 dollars an hour to talk to somebody as being something that would help.

I've spent 2000 hours talking to myself in the last 3 years and that hasn't helped at all.

i understand this feeling but it is entirely, easily possible for you to trap yourself in a circular loop of reasoning that is based on faulty assumptions

a therapist can help point these out, or at least try to help break you out of such a loop

also, a therapist could possibly help guide you into doing things that could lead to forming new social connections, because it sounds an awful lot like you are just completely alone where you are - not just in your home, but overall - and that is not healthy, it is obviously taking a major toll on your health.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Methanar posted:

I can't get any work done without like 3x 1440p worth of screen space.

also lol what the hell do you do

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
the above poster has good, concise advice that should be taken seriously and earnestly

the way your mind is now is not the way that it always has to be!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I'm going to rearrange my work space and move my work desk and computer stuff to a different room. I don't expect it to help much but its obviously bad where I put it.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also lol what the hell do you do

2 chrome windows on one. IDE for main work on one. Another small screen for distraction/interrupt work. Slack/email/source tree/notes on one.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
skipped a lot of boring work posts, bump

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

reminder that the goal of this thread is to wander off into the woods and never return

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

ok maybe I didn’t focus on the “never return” part at first but the solution to computer fatigue is less computer,

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

also most medical plans cover mental health. if you do not have a medical plan then wtf

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Silver Alicorn posted:

reminder that the goal of this thread is to wander off into the woods and never return

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

for real tho see a therapist and probably ask about psychiatric help. having your workstation in the bedroom is a bad idea but it’s not the root cause

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

also most medical plans cover mental health. if you do not have a medical plan then wtf

:patriot:

might ride off into the woods again this weekend

or repaint my deck :shrug: