Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

pixaal posted:

You hit the max value, you are going to need to start a new save.

Nah, I'm just gonna declare victory on this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pelao
Apr 21, 2010

pixaal posted:

You hit the max value, you are going to need to start a new save.

Fortunately, he has implemented a wipe save button!

Typically, it didn't work for me.

E: My save at floor 63 didnt have the NaN issue.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
And as has been typical, they have created a whole new level of bugs with calculations. Level 2500 is several hundred PP1. Level 9000 is....35

I was wondering why progress seemed to have just halted for the last couple hours.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Evolve just got an update, the queue gives time estimates.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Slickdrac posted:

And as has been typical, they have created a whole new level of bugs with calculations. Level 2500 is several hundred PP1. Level 9000 is....35

I was wondering why progress seemed to have just halted for the last couple hours.

quote:

- Rewrote the prestige points calculation. It should slow down between layers (but not too much), not speed up.

Not too much indeed.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Started Incremental Adventures. Currently on 3 heroes, two DPS and one armor tank. I'm stalling at floor 16, but the next unlock is at 20. Am I just supposed to keep restarting it at floor 1 for XP until I can prestige? Or should I hoard prestige points? This seems kinda boring.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Evolve just got an update, the queue gives time estimates.

Oh neat, is there any way to know there is an update without waiting for someone to mention it? I had no idea because I just keep the game running on my PC that there even was an update.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

explosivo posted:

Oh neat, is there any way to know there is an update without waiting for someone to mention it? I had no idea because I just keep the game running on my PC that there even was an update.

You can check the discord channel for updates, which will also let you know what’s changed. Or the normal way of turning off your computer at night, but that’s not always an option ofc.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chakan posted:

Or the normal way of turning off your computer at night, but that’s not always an option ofc.

I've got idle games to not play, I can't afford to turn my computer off!

Appreciate it, I'll hop on their Discord for updates.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

explosivo posted:

Click the version number in the top right, it shows the patch notes, do this every day or every week read the notes if you want the update grab it, if not keep running the old version.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Merijn posted:

Started Incremental Adventures. Currently on 3 heroes, two DPS and one armor tank. I'm stalling at floor 16, but the next unlock is at 20. Am I just supposed to keep restarting it at floor 1 for XP until I can prestige? Or should I hoard prestige points? This seems kinda boring.

Yes, you should only aim for XP which leads to prestige and is therefore the most important metric. The floor unlocks aren't a huge deal.
It's certainly very hands-off, you won't be any more involved at any point, you just unlock layers of prestige that work the same as the old layers. So if you're bored, you'll stay bored.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
For idle game updates, I just join their discord server, mute all categories and channels that aren't the one announcement or update channel, and then throw them all in one folder and ignore them all unless the white mark appears. Most idle games have have larger discords with an update channel like that so it seems to work pretty well.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Garfu posted:

For idle game updates, I just join their discord server, mute all categories and channels that aren't the one announcement or update channel, and then throw them all in one folder and ignore them all unless the white mark appears. Most idle games have have larger discords with an update channel like that so it seems to work pretty well.

THIS GUY IDLES

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I know most of you NGU players are well past this point, but I wanted to point out how insane the energy bonuses on the 2d set are compared to everything you get before.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Fool posted:

I know most of you NGU players are well past this point, but I wanted to point out how insane the energy bonuses on the 2d set are compared to everything you get before.

For sure, there's a couple of those sets you get along the way that are just so much better than what you have before, sometimes even at level 1. It's always a good feeling getting to that next tier up and having everything open up a bit again.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Toshimo posted:

THIS GUY IDLES

So fuckin' meta. It's an incremental game except the numbers that go up are version numbers.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Idle Game Idle Adventure

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Goon project idea:

Idle meta: An idle game that is more a collection of scripts that you unlock additional features in and idles other classic idle games and has them in a grid on the screen and you can see all 20 or so running at the same time.

These would need to be complete games since updating all the scripts would be a massive pain in the rear end. Get so many cookies in cookie clicker? You can now warp automatically in swarm sim! I'm not sure if the goal of this is to quickly expose new idle players to a bunch of old idle games they really should experience, some of which may not really be worth playing manually anymore. Or if the goal is for a way for idle vets to relive the glory days in a distilled format.

This came from attempting to figure out what exactly idling idle games was. There's probably too many legal issues unless all the games are open source for this to actually happen though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

something posted:

yo, you better join the discord so you can get into the SUPER COOL GOON CHANNEL :colbert:

More stuff to do instead of working. I'm in as FatSamurai.

I have just upgraded the forest pendant, by the way. I'm guessing I'm not supposed to be merging more of them to upgrade this one, right? Right?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

More stuff to do instead of working. I'm in as FatSamurai.

I have just upgraded the forest pendant, by the way. I'm guessing I'm not supposed to be merging more of them to upgrade this one, right? Right?

you are, you are never going to take that thing off. You did get them from sky and not forest right? Because the drop rate in forest is really low they keep dropping in later zones and titans, you never really go out and farm them they are pretty passive, just don't trash can them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

pixaal posted:

you are, you are never going to take that thing off. You did get them from sky and not forest right? Because the drop rate in forest is really low they keep dropping in later zones and titans, you never really go out and farm them they are pretty passive, just don't trash can them.

Forest and cave, while leveling up the other stuff. The drop rate seemed low, yeah.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

I took mine off but am still leveling it up.

The accessories from 2d and GRB are far more powerful than the pendant for me right now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

You do want to keep leveling it, each version is good for something and every time I take mine off and think I'm free it goes right back on next time it goes to the next rank.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

pixaal posted:

You do want to keep leveling it, each version is good for something and every time I take mine off and think I'm free it goes right back on next time it goes to the next rank.

I wore it until I think maybe a2 or 3, and then didn't again until the current latest one. It always lagged behind drops from zones by the time you got it leveled and boosted imo

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Might need a deop rate buff, it's been pretty much the best item in the game every time a new tier of it came out. I assume just higher levels on the earlier titans would do the job nicely

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Anybody remember the Sorority Life idle game on facebook, practically old as farmville

I liked the little wheres waldo style find-it minigames (click-based "scavenger hunts")

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I not only wear my multiply-ascended pendant but also a separate one of every lower tier as well, like a deranged pendant bandit.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I started NGU a few weeks ago, got bored, played a little bit again today. So I've got like 15 days on, and I'm still in the forest:

I understand literally nothing, and am not really seeing what I should be doing at this point, besides getting my basic training energy requirements lower.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

KittyEmpress posted:

I started NGU a few weeks ago, got bored, played a little bit again today. So I've got like 15 days on, and I'm still in the forest:

I understand literally nothing, and am not really seeing what I should be doing at this point, besides getting my basic training energy requirements lower.

You are somewhat limited in the early game. If you are in the Forest then you should be doing these:

- Dropping equipment pieces from Adventure and getting them to Level 100; one entire Set will give you a nice bonus(you can hover over an item in the Item List to see what they are)

- Rebirthing every 30 min or 60 min depending on how active you are; this will boost your Energy Cap and lower your Basic Training requirements

- Spend Exp on your Energy Power for the Augments and enough on Speed to get you to 50 with your Equipment bonus. You won't have Speed bonus forever but by that point you'll have enough Exp to reach 50 naturally.

- After you've made some progress, consider some of the more significant - and costlier - purchases: Auto Merge and Basic Loot Filter are a good start.

There are more helpful players in the Goon's Channel on the Discord if you want to chat up with people directly.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So for those in Evolve playing in the Hell Dimension and cussing out the demons always destroying your fortress, well the math isn't in your favour at least initially. A siege chance will start with an initial value of 999 and compare it against a random number between 0 and it. If it isn't 0, it decrements chance by 1 and tries again in the next Hell Dimension tick. If it is 0, a siege starts.

The calculus for the fortress fight is as follows:
- Divide the current threat value by 2 then use it as the maximum bound for the generated random number that will start a siege; statistically, this will average out to a quarter of the current threat
- Divide the fortress defense rating by 35 or use 1 if it less than that. This gives the number of demons killed per round as a range from [1, defend + 1]
- For every round, roll to kill demons (additionally subtract them from the current threat) and remove 1 percent from the wall while the siege is still going
- If the wall strength hits 0%, everyone on your side dies

The first two bits are why it's so difficult to succeed initially. I had 4 patrols of 15 fiery-backed gene-boosted antids pushing down the threat to around 1100-1200 and 10 stationed in the fortress giving me a defense rating of 256 (also one laser turret). The maximum number in their siege would be 600 but I would only be dealing 1-8 damage per round; it would be like bringing a water pistol to a fight against a flamethrower. I would only be able to deal with, on average, a siege of <500. Changing that to stationing 70 gets me a rating of 2219 against 10000 threat: 33.5 avg damage against an average 2500 siege means I'll likely win the first one (in ~73 rounds) but the wall won't regenerate enough for the second. However, playing around with it while writing this post I have 60 stationed + a patrol of 15 keeping the threat down to under 3000. At the biggest siege, I'll hold in ~53 rounds on average. Thus my recommendation is dumping the majority of your army into the fortress and maintain a patrol just large enough to keep casualties lower than your training speed.

Whatever the case, in order to get Infernite you have to be patrolling; the equation is set up so that a surveyor is instantly killed if you have no one manning your fortress. Once I get into war droids this will definitely become easier, the laser turrets don't appear to be very useful in the face of numbers since they require significant power.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Also, Dark Matter doesn't do anything yet, but you can still earn it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sage Grimm posted:

So for those in Evolve playing in the Hell Dimension

I'm, uh, currently plugging away at this game and don't recognize a goddamn thing in this entire post so I'm extremely curious to see how the game I'm playing now turns into this!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

explosivo posted:

I'm, uh, currently plugging away at this game and don't recognize a goddamn thing in this entire post so I'm extremely curious to see how the game I'm playing now turns into this!

It's not as exciting as it sounds, it's just a new ticker you watch, have a few extra "buildings" to effect the demon strength, and a chance for your civilians assigned to work in the job associated with the Hell Dimension to die and replenish. The only notable impact it adds, other than just an incredible grind increase for those stupid soul gems, is screwing your over while dumping stuff into the Black Hole for the Black Hole reset because Infernite is a high mass item and your income fluctuates periodically as civilians die and replenish.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The True Idle Experience is reading an entire post full of detailed explanation of what sounds like completely made up gibberish but that makes perfect sense to whoever is playing at the same spot.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Samuringa posted:

The True Idle Experience is reading an entire post full of detailed explanation of what sounds like completely made up gibberish but that makes perfect sense to whoever is playing at the same spot.

This is more or less what my dad told me listening to me talk to friends about wow

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

something posted:

hey just fyi I applied for steam finally and got the paperwork stuff done so now i spend the next couple months figuring out how to hook up all the Steam SDK stuff woooooo

PS: decided that steam release will also be Sadistic difficulty update. Expect a couple zones, bunch of sadistic only perks/quirks/wishes, and maybe a new titan.

Catching up from a long week-end and busy week-beginning. Awesome, dude! I'll be there, buying more Stupid Newbie packs.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I have also been enjoying Idle Wizard, after bouncing off it about a year ago. It's now easily my second favorite "has lots of levers to play with" idle game behind NGU.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Samuringa posted:

I have this constantly whenever people here talk about anything NGU beyond early game, where I lost interest. Still waiting for the first goon to post a wall of text with completely made-up gibberish, and me believing it.

GrossMurpel posted:

Yes, you should only aim for XP which leads to prestige and is therefore the most important metric. The floor unlocks aren't a huge deal.
It's certainly very hands-off, you won't be any more involved at any point, you just unlock layers of prestige that work the same as the old layers. So if you're bored, you'll stay bored.

I left the tab open overnight and prestiged for 43 points. I'm good now. :allears:

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 28, 2019

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

pixaal posted:

you are never going to take that thing off.

Huh?

The only one worth wearing is the Ascended x6 one, all the other variants are way outpaced by the other gear you have by the time you are able to get some more levels on your newest pendant.
And the only reason Ax6 is worth wearing is at that stage of the game you no longer need NGU speed from accessories

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The drop chance is nice when you're trying to snipe titans or max out some gear, but they definetely stop being an all-the-time thing pretty quickly.