Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
get an mba

i leave it to you, dear reader, to determine just how ironic i am in that statement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

mba is the new psychology undergrad

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

what should i use my gi bill for? i own my own company in a field where degrees dont matter. give me fun unconventional ideas or else its just going to sit there wasting away. also i hate school so if it involves like actual real schoolwork ehhh

GIS.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

mba is the new psychology undergrad

Sociology, even.

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

ahaha i was a 35G in the army and then worked for NGA. i guess not a terrible idea to do something easy that i know, and kinda miss sometimes. but i dont do GIS or anything remotely similar these days

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

ahaha i was a 35G in the army and then worked for NGA. i guess not a terrible idea to do something easy that i know, and kinda miss sometimes. but i dont do GIS or anything remotely similar these days

Well, my second idea was glass-blowing, so I dunno. College courses aren't usually for funsies.

I did always wanna take a full-on baking course. If I had even a shred of GIB time left after the MBA, I probably will. Just take every Tuesday off from work for the one at the local CC. They usually have all kinds of odd vocational stuff it would pay for (they have watch repair, truck driving and mortician classes at the one here)

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

nah you right you right i should just take something easy that i know and collect free money. havent touched arcgis since 2013 tho

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

what should i use my gi bill for? i own my own company in a field where degrees dont matter. give me fun unconventional ideas or else its just going to sit there wasting away. also i hate school so if it involves like actual real schoolwork ehhh

The most excited teachers and students I've met have all been geology related fields.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

nah you right you right i should just take something easy that i know and collect free money. havent touched arcgis since 2013 tho

If you do, let me know. There's some site selection stuff I'll need to get into in the next few months for a class and I could use some pointers.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not trying to patronize anyone here, and not sure it’s regional thing or just depends on your rep?

But when it comes to using the GI bill, you generally have to have a strict degree plan, and cannot just be taking random classes, or redo them etc. They generally have to be related towards your major

Again, not patronizing, just that they’ve continually made it harder and harder to use the GI bill for fun buxs

NAPALM STICKS TO
Jun 22, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Not trying to patronize anyone here, and not sure it’s regional thing or just depends on your rep?

But when it comes to using the GI bill, you generally have to have a strict degree plan, and cannot just be taking random classes, or redo them etc. They generally have to be related towards your major

Again, not patronizing, just that they’ve continually made it harder and harder to use the GI bill for fun buxs

i honestly dont know, ive never used it. i signed up for some classes once but then dropped them cause i went back to contracting in the stan. i just figured right now its sitting around idle, and idk if the 10 year rule is still in effect but if it is my gi bill is up in 2021. so better try to use it

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The most excited teachers and students I've met have all been geology related fields.

The geology episode of From the Earth to the Moon is the most excited I've ever seen people about rocks.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

EBB posted:

The geology episode of From the Earth to the Moon is the most excited I've ever seen people about rocks.

Space rock people are really, really into rocks. I took a class from a dude who really liked space rocks and goddamn did he love his work.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sometimes geology students are too excited about rocks, or their stories about field camp.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You might be able to use it to get a pilots license or something.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I got to look at a bunch of space rocks in thin section + some thin sections and hand samples brought back by Apollo missions this year and they were some of the raddest rocks I've ever seen

My hands were shaking like a leaf taking the thin sections out of the case. I've never held something so priceless and precious in my whole life

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

iirc some folks are getting space rock and dinosaur bone bedazzled on their wedding bands and such

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The dipshit undergrad intern I was placed in charge of actually got some decent protein crystals! Amazing!

We now harvest them tomorrow for SLAC time. As the PI says said intern has to harvest their own stuff; I loving pray dipshit pays attention and does not break these crystals.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You could use your gi bill towards welding certificates and such at your local community college and learn some more trade skills.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
100% rated?

Sign up for an MBA at WGU and plan to use all 24 months to obtain your masters. Spend 1-2 hours a week working on the tasks and collect $19k in BAH and a masters from an accredited school.

If you live in an expensive area you may be able to find somewhere local that does mostly online with one in-class sitting a week/month but you'll likely be expected to put more time in with stricter deadlines.

That's not to talk bad about the University; I really like their business model and think more colleges should go in that direction. But it is intended to be accelerated and completed in less than a year if you put and effort into it. Streching the program out to the maximum time they allow is borderline comical and you'll have to intentionally slow yourself down.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Aug 5, 2019

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah finding a hybrid program with one night class a week was perfect: all the BAH

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

The dipshit undergrad intern I was placed in charge of actually got some decent protein crystals! Amazing!

We now harvest them tomorrow for SLAC time. As the PI says said intern has to harvest their own stuff; I loving pray dipshit pays attention and does not break these crystals.

SLAC like...the accelerator lab? Huh?

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

NAPALM STICKS TO posted:

i honestly dont know, ive never used it. i signed up for some classes once but then dropped them cause i went back to contracting in the stan. i just figured right now its sitting around idle, and idk if the 10 year rule is still in effect but if it is my gi bill is up in 2021. so better try to use it

I’m pretty sure under the forever GI Bill the expiration of benefits is no longer a thing.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mr. Nice! posted:

You could use your gi bill towards welding certificates and such at your local community college and learn some more trade skills.

Yeah, welding, electrical, machining, poo poo even HVAC wouldn't be a bad way to collect that money, and you'd actually use it at some point

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Electrical is cool for messing around in your garage building radios or something but be very aware of what you're doing. If you want to do stuff like wiring up homes, even your own, you have to have certs for that and can get in a world of poo poo if something happens and you don't have those pieces of paper to legally cover your rear end.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

EBB posted:

SLAC like...the accelerator lab? Huh?

Yeah the one at Stanford. Our in-house x-ray crystallography instrument doesn't get us the resolution we need (<2.8 Angstrom) so we ship a bunch of frozen crystals to Stanford for remote data collection.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

Yeah the one at Stanford. Our in-house x-ray crystallography instrument doesn't get us the resolution we need (<2.8 Angstrom) so we ship a bunch of frozen crystals to Stanford for remote data collection.

Hah, I drive past that all the time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
One of two grades in for my first semester back. I got an A. Feeling good about the other class, too.

E: 4.0 for the semester!

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 6, 2019

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
How exactly do you receive BAH as a veteran in school? I applied for the GI Bill a year ago but I do not recall providing my banking information. Is it the last account you had on record? In that case I need to get it updated.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You can update it on benefits.va.gov or something like that. If you get paid VA disability it goes there by default.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I've been out of school for two years now. I used ch. 31 (voc rehab) while in school. Since leaving, I've moved to a new area. Do I need inform my previous counselor to get my case tranfered in case I need any further services?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Got an email from one of my professors for the new term starting in two weeks. Included his retired rank in below his name. I realize he also teaches some of the Military Social Work courses but just seems like something a bit much.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

I've been out of school for two years now. I used ch. 31 (voc rehab) while in school. Since leaving, I've moved to a new area. Do I need inform my previous counselor to get my case tranfered in case I need any further services?

Informing your new one should be enough. It's on them to get it sent.

If you wanna grease the skids by telling the old one, it couldn't hurt.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

My last week of classes is next week.

I hate how it comes to an end.

Time to really look for jobs. Visiting a recruiting agency today with school. Hope I impress. My professor seems to think so.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Soulex posted:

My last week of classes is next week.

I hate how it comes to an end.

Time to really look for jobs. Visiting a recruiting agency today with school. Hope I impress. My professor seems to think so.

:feelsgood: :hf:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

First semester as a student vet started this week. Hooray for being a 31-year old Junior

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Internet Wizard posted:

First semester as a student vet started this week. Hooray for being a 31-year old Junior

I'm 35 in grad school again. I'm older than some phds I'm assisting this semester. The prof I'm assigned to as a research assistant is already trying to get me to stick around for another 4 years for a phd.

Most of my classmates came directly from undergrad. The next oldest person to me is a former minor league ball player that turned 30. All but one or two other people are under 24.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

37 by the time I finish my undergrad next year, you're in good shape.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Gray Matter posted:

37 by the time I finish my undergrad next year, you're in good shape.

What're you studying?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I'm going to be 31 two months after I graduate in December, so it's not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Mr. Nice! posted:

What're you studying?
Computer science cause I'm a great big nerd