Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

GWBBQ posted:

Gene Wilder

How could you even entertain the thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

GWBBQ posted:

That said, what about Christopher Walken and Gene Wilder? I haven't heard anything bad about them and I'm afraid to look.

Christopher Walken was present at the mysterious death of Natalie Wood and definitely knows what happened and will never, ever tell

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Crispin Glover definitely is up there with wholesomeness. He can be creepy as gently caress but he's genuinely a nice dude off stage. He chose a bunch of people others would see as not fit for "normal" roles for his short film which is pretty awesome and inclusive.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

a mysterious cloak posted:

How could you even entertain the thought
The man also had good taste in sushi. met him while picking up an order a few blocks from college.

cosmo sex tip posted:

Christopher Walken was present at the mysterious death of Natalie Wood and definitely knows what happened and will never, ever tell
Well gently caress. Either he's the intense person he is on screen or he's made it his whole personality. Absolutely loves people doing impersonations of him and will laugh like a maniac before shaking your hand.

Also, Robin Williams was a perfect human being.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

GWBBQ posted:

This is quite a few pages back, but as far as celebrity predators, the majority of musicians you know and love were horrible people.

Most of the musicians I know and love are/were women. Not that women can’t be predators, of course.

Gene Wilder was by all accounts lovely, easy to work with, and pulled out all the stops for charities he was involved with. :swoon:

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Scathach posted:

Crispin Glover definitely is up there with wholesomeness. He can be creepy as gently caress but he's genuinely a nice dude off stage. He chose a bunch of people others would see as not fit for "normal" roles for his short film which is pretty awesome and inclusive.

I haven’t seen “What Is It” but from what I remember from the trailers I feel like this is an extremely generous interpretation of what he was doing. It seemed exploitative to me and I was an 18 year old complete dipshit

Edit but then again I’m posting without having seen the thing and relying on 15 year old memory so uh. Cortana delete post

A CRUNK BIRD has a new favorite as of 04:10 on Aug 27, 2019

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Wasn't Christopher Walken on the boat with Natalie Wood when she drowned suspiciously

Edit: ah gently caress someone got to it because I didn't check the next page

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Gene Wilder was by all accounts lovely, easy to work with, and pulled out all the stops for charities he was involved with. :swoon:

Sorry, no cite, but I read an article a year or so back that said dementia was Wilder's best friend; he was uncomplicatedly happy for the first time in his life, and very sweet.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

never met gene wilder in person, but christopher walken is a raging rear end in a top hat irl

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Scathach posted:

I think a bunch of snails will beg to differ.

Hauki posted:

never met gene wilder in person, but christopher walken is a raging rear end in a top hat irl
Please do tell.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Good famous people:

Terry Pratchett bought a friend of mine breakfast because he was at the convention she was working at and could see she was having a lovely morning.

Sir Patrick Stewart is a delightful human being who is very outspoken about abusive relationships.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

AlbieQuirky posted:

My undergraduate advisor went to uni with and roomed with Gene Wilder; they stayed friends long after one went on to become a professor and the other one an actor in Hollywood. My advisor had nothing but good stories to tell about Gene Wilder. They acted in amdrams together at university.
Being a person who pulled no punches and took no poo poo off anyone, (my advisor, that is), if he had good things to say about GW, it's probably safe to assume GW was a good guy all around.

He also once offered my advisor a tiny walk-on role in The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother -- 'You won't have any lines, you'll get paid minimum, but think about it, Jerry [my advisor]: Your name in lights! Tiny, tiny lights, but lights nonetheless!'

He also thought it was super cool that my advisor had become a professor.

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 12:20 on Aug 27, 2019

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Don't have idols y'all.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The problem with looking up to people is that, at the end of the day, they're people. That's why the only actor I look up to is Moose, the dog from the hit 90's television show Frasier.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

We regret to inform you that Moose was racist.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

The problem with looking up to people is that, at the end of the day, they're people. That's why the only actor I look up to is Moose, the dog from the hit 90's television show Frasier.

I hate to be that person but realtalk I’ve heard that the dog was an rear end in a top hat I’m not kidding

https://www.bravotv.com/blogs/frasier-eddie-the-dog-secrets-revealed

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Never meet your heroes, kids.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

I hate to be that person but realtalk I’ve heard that the dog was an rear end in a top hat I’m not kidding

https://www.bravotv.com/blogs/frasier-eddie-the-dog-secrets-revealed

this is seriously the most wonderful thing.

"Yes, this dog on a pretty good not-that-lovely or out of date sitcom is a safe bed"

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sarcopenia posted:

Please do tell.

nothing particularly interesting, he just acted generally like a huge petty rear end in a top hat on set and devolved into tantrums and insane fits of rage often directed at whatever random crew happened to be caught nearby

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Good famous people:

Terry Pratchett bought a friend of mine breakfast because he was at the convention she was working at and could see she was having a lovely morning.

Sir Patrick Stewart is a delightful human being who is very outspoken about abusive relationships.

After Pratchett started suffering from dementia he anonymously collaborated on an Oblivion mod which added an NPC follower who could remind the player of what they were doing/what quest they were on/lead them back out of a dungeon for the use of players who had short term memory issues like himself. He also used a lot of non-combat mods so he could hang around studying otherwise hostile NPCs like Goblins, which became the basis for Snuff (otherwise hostile horde secretly have a rich and fascinating culture ignored by the rest of the world who see them as trash mobs).

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That's why the only people I look up to are ones I either know personally or I know that they're deserving of admiration.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

darkwasthenight posted:

After Pratchett started suffering from dementia he anonymously collaborated on an Oblivion mod which added an NPC follower who could remind the player of what they were doing/what quest they were on/lead them back out of a dungeon for the use of players who had short term memory issues like himself. He also used a lot of non-combat mods so he could hang around studying otherwise hostile NPCs like Goblins, which became the basis for Snuff (otherwise hostile horde secretly have a rich and fascinating culture ignored by the rest of the world who see them as trash mobs).

I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
In the "good famous people" category, apparently Ludacris makes a habit of paying for other people's groceries & not trying to take credit for it: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xwk5v4/ludacris-whole-foods-groceries-new-york-times

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

George Michael

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

2nd hand story but; at a film festival dinner hosted at a private estate , Sean Penn was smoking the entire dinner even when asked not to. and stubbed his cigarette out in his plate of food when the chef inquired how the meal was. Just a miserable person to be around at the time, wouldn't talk to anyone and just bitched and complained the whole time

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

he's also a notorious abuser of women, so

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

That's why the only people I look up to are ones I either know personally or I know that they're deserving of admiration.

Is this Karl Willetts because gently caress yeah

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Keanu Reeves is also a safe person to be a fan of.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hauki posted:

Yeah he always acts like he's got a stick pocket watch up his rear end

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Before he was publicly a right-wing shitbag, James Woods was filming a movie here and I was sat at an adjacent table from him at a hibachi restaurant. I felt bad for him because there were stage-whispered proclamations of “Hey, it’s the ‘Ooh, piece of candy!’ guy!” all around us, as if no one had seen him live-action in anything; that has to sting for a seasoned actor. But then some maybe 8-year-old kid approached him very politely for an autograph, and he barked, “gently caress OFF YOU LITTLE rear end in a top hat I’M TRYING TO EAT.”

And when I was the metal (or “Loud Rock”) director for the local college radio station, I got to meet David Draiman of Disturbed. He refused to speak directly to me — I had to ask his security guy the questions, the security guy would look at him, then he would respond as if he were talking to the security guy, who would then turn and nod at me. It was so obnoxious and bizarre. Then one day, a couple years later, I made a stupid throwaway joke on Twitter about how Draiman always tweeted in all caps, and how I was going to break his capslock key. He namesearched, then retweeted me, instructing his fans to “teach her a lesson for being a whiny bitch.” And that is how I got my first rape and death threats! 🌈⭐️

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Busket Posket posted:

He namesearched, then retweeted me, instructing his fans to “teach her a lesson for being a whiny bitch.” And that is how I got my first rape and death threats! 🌈⭐️

:stonklol: :toot:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

For some content: an Aboriginal woman here in Australia was arrested for her own safety a little while back. If you got more than 6 words into this before realising how this worked out for her then you're not very sharp.

At present the authorities are denying her family access to the security camera footage of her time in custody. As it stands they are doing everything in their power to say that despite this sort of thing only ever happening to indigenous people it isn't racially motivated at all.

We once had a royal commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody / custody rates and in a move that will shock no one it's gotten worse. We now lock up our indigenous population at rates well above incarceration rates for African Americans over in the USA. 100% of the children in custody in the Northern Territory are indigenous kids just as an example.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Busket Posket posted:

Before he was publicly a right-wing shitbag, James Woods was filming a movie here and I was sat at an adjacent table from him at a hibachi restaurant. I felt bad for him because there were stage-whispered proclamations of “Hey, it’s the ‘Ooh, piece of candy!’ guy!” all around us, as if no one had seen him live-action in anything; that has to sting for a seasoned actor. But then some maybe 8-year-old kid approached him very politely for an autograph, and he barked, “gently caress OFF YOU LITTLE rear end in a top hat I’M TRYING TO EAT.”

what on earth was James Woods in that would make a fan out of an eight-year-old

the kids I babysat just loving hated Videodrome

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

what on earth was James Woods in that would make a fan out of an eight-year-old

the kids I babysat just loving hated Videodrome

Unfortunately, Family Guy.

Or possibly Hercules.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Concatenation posted:

Is this Karl Willetts because gently caress yeah

gently caress yeah it's Karl Willetts.

My phone case. Got another one on my car. BOLT THROWER. Karl is a good guy, went toe to toe with some neonazi scum to protect a fan they'd been harassing. Story. Highlight: German tour manager cracked a Nazi across the head with a loving bat because he was going after Karl, who had one of his shithead buddies cornered.

Only really tangentially related to the thread, but it's insane that those fucks were even allowed in. Apparently they were related to some of the security guards, so nobody was standing up to them.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Only really tangentially related to the thread, but it's insane that those fucks were even allowed in. Apparently they were related to some of the security guards, so nobody was standing up to them.

Lots of far right folks at MMA gyms. Lots of bouncers/paid security come from MMA gyms. Networking for Nazis: keep it simple, communicate through violence.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Inceltown posted:

We once had a royal commission into Aboriginal deaths in custody / custody rates and in a move that will shock no one it's gotten worse. We now lock up our indigenous population at rates well above incarceration rates for African Americans over in the USA. 100% of the children in custody in the Northern Territory are indigenous kids just as an example.
As an American I'm not sure if this is a true thing or a racial stereotype I heard - is it also accurate that Aboriginal Australians culturally have a very hard time coping with incarceration? Or is that more of a thing for those who have been raised in a traditional lifestyle?

It's horrifying in either case, but it seems exceptionally cruel if that's accurate.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

madeintaipei posted:

Lots of far right folks at MMA gyms. Lots of bouncers/paid security come from MMA gyms. Networking for Nazis: keep it simple, communicate through violence.

If violence is the only language they understand, the tour manager was just opening up a dialogue.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

pookel posted:

As an American I'm not sure if this is a true thing or a racial stereotype I heard - is it also accurate that Aboriginal Australians culturally have a very hard time coping with incarceration? Or is that more of a thing for those who have been raised in a traditional lifestyle?

It's horrifying in either case, but it seems exceptionally cruel if that's accurate.

not sure about australia, but i would argue it's very true in canada; if anything, because of how the police and rcmp treat first nations/aboriginal people.

starlight tours, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

If violence is the only language they understand, the tour manager was just opening up a dialogue.

I saw a pretty good documentary here in SA about the culture of violence in Australia (which I now can't find for the life of me). Your post reminded me of that, have you seen it? A "Hello" tattoo will fit just fine on the knuckles, lol.