Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Javid posted:

On the opposite side of the update spectrum, I wish there was a "just install poo poo and reboot as needed" mode I could activate initially for devices installed with older media. Let it just catch everything up overnight without any manual input.

I just upgraded to 1903 (well reformatted and installed fresh) and noticed there's an option for this in Settings | Updates & Security | Windows Update | Advanced options. "Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update". I don't remember if it was on or off by default.

On that note, my install went ok, amazingly my motherboard's drivers still work (ASUS hasn't updated them since 1709), start menu works fine, and nothing has gone horribly awry. Maybe that's because I installed fresh? I only have a few comments so far about 1903 (I skipped 1809 so these might not be actually new):
- I like the dark mode! Makes me wish every website has a dark mode option.
- For whatever reason the clock app doesn't reset my timers for me after they're finished.
- I haven't noticed any cool nature/architecture/etc backgrounds on the lock screen. In 1803 there'd be a new one every day or every other day, some of them were really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ofecks posted:

- I like the dark mode! Makes me wish every website has a dark mode option.

Dark reader is a legit extension

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ofecks posted:

On that note, my install went ok, amazingly my motherboard's drivers still work (ASUS hasn't updated them since 1709), start menu works fine, and nothing has gone horribly awry. Maybe

You can install the Intel Chipset Drivers/Management Engine/Rapid Storage Driver from the Intel Download Center, if you want current versions: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
You might even get a performance boost. I've got a mobo from before win10 (think sandy bridge to give you an idea how old). The mfgr (asus) did put win10 drivers up, but all they really did was just update the .inf and whatnot, put whatever driver was current at the time in there, and that was it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Khablam posted:

Dark reader is a legit extension

Woa cool, thanks for the suggestion. It turns my highlighted quotes into a Babyshit Green color, which is pretty amusing.

Lambert posted:

You can install the Intel Chipset Drivers/Management Engine/Rapid Storage Driver from the Intel Download Center, if you want current versions: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Maybe you and others can clear up a possible misconception then - I was assuming I'd need drivers from ASUS for my specific model due to whatever unique hardware quirks it has. If that's not the case, which component(s) does that apply to? All of them? Just chipset? What about LAN and Audio?

e: I have the current ME version, Windows Update gave it to me because ASUS' version, while updated more recently than the other drivers, is out of date now as well
e2: I also installed the Spectre/Meltdown microcode patch for 1903. Seems like something so critical (or is it even?) shouldn't be an optional stand-alone thing

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 27, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Chipset includes storage drivers and most of the "system devices" type things (including usb, I think), but not lan, audio, onboard graphics etc. Each of those is separate. Tell us your mobo model # (including revision if you know it) and one of us will easily be able to tell you which ones you can update over the asus-provided ones.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

And yes, that's the latest BIOS from ASUS. When I reformatted last year to get 1803, it was recently updated but that's been the last one.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ofecks posted:

Maybe you and others can clear up a possible misconception then - I was assuming I'd need drivers from ASUS for my specific model due to whatever unique hardware quirks it has. If that's not the case, which component(s) does that apply to? All of them? Just chipset? What about LAN and Audio?

e: I have the current ME version, Windows Update gave it to me because ASUS' version, while updated more recently than the other drivers, is out of date now as well
e2: I also installed the Spectre/Meltdown microcode patch for 1903. Seems like something so critical (or is it even?) shouldn't be an optional stand-alone thing

No, graphics/chipset (Chipset INF Utility is how Intel calls them)/management engine/rapid storage drivers are the same for every motherboard. Audio tends to be customized with silly logos, but the generic drivers from Realtek (https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/pc-audio-codecs-high-definition-audio-codecs-software) will work just as well. And for LAN, you need to get the Intel Network Adapter Driver from the Intel Downloadcenter.

You never need drivers provided by the mainboard manufacturer (excluding BIOS updates), they're always older versions.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 27, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Ofecks posted:

And yes, that's the latest BIOS from ASUS. When I reformatted last year to get 1803, it was recently updated but that's been the last one.

Ok, I would get:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28991/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=80939

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29007/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-User-Interface-and-Driver?product=35125

And then the intel network thing mentioned above:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10

And that's it. The chipset and audio drivers from asus are just fine. :)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Hipster_Doofus posted:

And that's it. The chipset and audio drivers from asus are just fine. :)

Why wouldn't you get the latest Chipset driver (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28182/Chipset-INF-Utility) as well, there's absolutely no reason not to - and, in fact, potentially the greatest benefit to it.

The driver by Asus is simply an older version of the Intel Chipset driver, there's no customization going on.

With Rapid Storage, I suggest you install just the driver using Device Manager (f6flpy.zip) - there's no reason to ever have the service running as well if you're not running any RAID setup.

The latest Realtek driver doesn't hurt, either.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 27, 2019

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Because the chipset driver on asus is only 5 months old, but, I was under the impression that this mobo is pretty old, which it isn't (must have conflated Ofecks' post with some other one somewhere). So yeah do the chipset. As for audio, the latest one is scarecly any newer that asus's, but you do get a better control panel and also it may enable more functions than windows' built-in driver. So ok yeah do that too.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't loaded any chipset drivers with windows 10 in quite a while.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

So I'm just logging into Pi Hole after ages, because some domains don't resolve, and I see there's like 1400 DNS requests per 10 minutes, and they all seem to go to licensing.mp.microsoft.com.

What the gently caress now, Microsoft?

Are those requests blocked by pihole?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

MikusR posted:

Are those requests blocked by pihole?
Nope. God knows what broke. A reboot fixed it. I'd still like to know what service was responsible, and why.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Nope. God knows what broke. A reboot fixed it. I'd still like to know what service was responsible, and why.

Probably piholes dns server.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Sorry for bringing this back up: a few weeks ago I posted about my laptop's keyboard sometimes being unresponsive thinking a Window update was responsible, but I'm now fairly confident it's unrelated. Dell has offered to take it in for maintenance, but I'd rather not resort to that just yet. Is there an appropriate thread in SHSC I could ask for help?

e:And, man, the audio quality of Dell's technical support-line was awful.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 28, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MikusR posted:

Probably piholes dns server.
Tested that, nslookup returned the same addresses for the host name, from both Pi Hole and Google DNS directly.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

FRINGE posted:

but in the meanwhile use Greenshot?

Unsurprisingly (considering Greenshot uses the documented methods for capturing the screen), it doesn't work.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Any suggestions for software to mimic the ancient Active Desktop stuff? Not quite desktop gadgets from Vista/7, I just want to put a webpage on part of the desktop, without any chrome and staying on bottom of other windows.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

nielsm posted:

Any suggestions for software to mimic the ancient Active Desktop stuff? Not quite desktop gadgets from Vista/7, I just want to put a webpage on part of the desktop, without any chrome and staying on bottom of other windows.

The most widely recommended option on the internet seems to be WallpaperWebPage, for which Softpedia seems to be the official download source: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Enhancements/Other-Desktop-Enhancements/WallpaperWebPage.shtml

I also found this open source clone: https://github.com/CiaccoDavide/BackgroundPage

Both of those will display a fullscreen browser in "always on bottom" mode so desktop icons won't show through but it will remain underneath all other apps. I'd guess from the file sizes and descriptions that WallpaperWebPage uses the Internet Explorer engine and BackgroundPage uses Chromium

This one claims to display as the actual desktop wallpaper under the icons, but can not be interacted with so it's only useful to display information: https://www.aveapps.com/avedesktopsites.html

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

biznatchio posted:

Unsurprisingly (considering Greenshot uses the documented methods for capturing the screen), it doesn't work.

What about ShareX? I don't know how it captures the screen but I find it a lot more polished and easier to use than Greenshot in any case.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
On my recently resurrected tablet, pairing my Bluetooth headphones to it shits out. Like its bluetooth stack can't handle it or something, despite the headphones having Just Worked with literally every other device I have paired them to in the last 2 years I've had the things. Fully updated Windows 7, as in zero packages available, apparently the last ~decade of windows updates I spent last weekend shoving down the thing didn't include that. The only useful-looking google hit said to install a third party thing that didn't do poo poo, so I'm hoping somebody knows more than me here about windows 7 bluetooth poo poo I guess.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

biznatchio posted:

You can screenshot the Win10 app

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Warning to all the people who have done the group policy or registry flags to disable Bing web results on Cortana / start menu search: MS has hosed up again

Many people are reporting that installing update KB4512941 causes Cortana to peg the CPU if you've set those options. Here's a good write-up of the diagnosis and a fix that shows how stupid the problem is.

VVV edit: did you read the first line of the post? this only applies to people who have disabled web searches, via registry or group policy. that registry flag doesn't exist unless you've manually added it to get rid of bing results.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 2, 2019

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I dont even have that registry entry.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

OH DEAR LORD, THEY FINALLY GAVE IN!

Microsoft is going to decouple WinUI from UWP and make it directly available in Win32, without requiring this XAML Islands bullshit.

quote:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear in my post and caused misunderstandings. As we already have made public, WinUI 3 will work inside of a UWP app model (UWP) and Win32 app model (Desktop). Using your own words; we consider both platforms as first-class, and WinUI 3 will support them. WinUI 3 will adapt to the execution environment, for instance, WinUI 3 in UWP apps is using CoreWindow, and WinUI 3 in Desktop is using HWnd (and several more differences).

Besides WinUI 3 in UWP and Desktop, XAML Islands is part of the WinUI 3, as I made public too. The low-level hosting APIs (e.g., DesktopWindowXamlSource) will be lifted from the OS and include on WinUI 3. This will allow using the WinUI 3 controls in WPF, WinForms, or even MFC apps down to Win10 1703, RS2 (Although RS2 is not 100% sure yet)

We will try to add more clarity in the following weeks in the WinUI GitHub site. There are more details that we can't share yet (to avoid these misunderstandings, sorry again), and we are planning to make it public at Ignite in Nov.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/cz1edg/the_windows_xaml_platform_program_manager_at/eywt7aa/

Now I wonder if people will start using it broadly, tho.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

OH DEAR LORD, THEY FINALLY GAVE IN!

Microsoft is going to decouple WinUI from UWP and make it directly available in Win32, without requiring this XAML Islands bullshit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/cz1edg/the_windows_xaml_platform_program_manager_at/eywt7aa/

Now I wonder if people will start using it broadly, tho.
Interesting. This probably means that UWP on win32 will eventually be replacing the existing desktop version of WPF? Or at least that's what the people working on WinUI think.

mystes fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 4, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there anything useful coming out of the 1909 19H2 Update?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
So before 1903 there was a setting like "Delay updates this many days < >" which I set to around 30.

That setting is now removed from the UI in 1903 but based on how long it takes to get cumulative updates I feel like its still being enforced. Any way to check?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's supposedly a display bug - the settings should be visible in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings and apparently resetting them to 0 will cause them to reappear in Settings.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Tab8715 posted:

Is there anything useful coming out of the 1909 19H2 Update?

Hopefully, they'll finally fix "Listen to this device" that has been broken since 1903!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I would post in the "poo poo that pisses you off" thread but I might get more productive answers here. This has probably been discussed here before but the thread is getting big so I'll just ask:

Focus stealing. Is there any way to prevent it? So many apps in windows are screaming for my focus, it drives me insane. It happens at least once every day that I'll be typing an email and Visual Studio steals my focus for whatever reason and I start typing in a source file. There are many more examples but I don't want to whine too much, I'm just looking for a solution.

Searching on google, I can mostly only find people as angry as me about the problem begging Microsoft for a solution. Many sites mention playing with ForegroundLockTimeout in the registry, that does nothing for me. I don't know much about Windows programming but is there like... a program I could write that would catch "focus stealing events" (see how much I know) ?

Anyway I can't be alone in this. I need help.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Colonel J posted:

Focus stealing. Is there any way to prevent it?

Use different software, that's the only method.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
In general focus stealing has been cracked down on and shouldn't be happening. I actually have the opposite problem sometimes where a dialog window gets buried in the background without a taskbar icon so I have to go hunting for it, but I'll take that over things popping up right as I hit enter so I have no idea what just happened.

Is there a pattern to the focus stealing you're experiencing? Some specific key combo triggering things (my old SP3 would trigger screenshots if I typed fast enough with the type cover), or if you're on a laptop maybe accidental touchpad presses?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
One thing you can do that doesn't solve the problem but would make it much more obvious is using the built-in virtual desktops feature. Put VS on desktop 2, your email and whatever on 1, and if VS steals focus you'll get a big screen wipe animation.

Colonel J posted:

Many sites mention playing with ForegroundLockTimeout in the registry, that does nothing for me.

I'm pretty sure Visual Studio uses a method of forcing activation that goes around ForegroundLockTimeout.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

isndl posted:

In general focus stealing has been cracked down on and shouldn't be happening. I actually have the opposite problem sometimes where a dialog window gets buried in the background without a taskbar icon so I have to go hunting for it, but I'll take that over things popping up right as I hit enter so I have no idea what just happened.

Is there a pattern to the focus stealing you're experiencing? Some specific key combo triggering things (my old SP3 would trigger screenshots if I typed fast enough with the type cover), or if you're on a laptop maybe accidental touchpad presses?

VS does it every time the program starts after building (by using F5, build + run). It also does it everytime a breakpoint is hit (apparently this can be disabled in the options as of VS2019 but we don't support it at work yet) and everytime __debugbreak() is called.

Also many message boxes seem to do it, not sure which in particular but I've had cases where I try to press space or enter at the exact same moment a message box steals focus and that immediately closes it because Windows thinks the button press was intended to close the message box -_-

i found https://blade.sk/stay-focused/ which seems interesting but I don't dare run it on my work pc without seeing the source.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Colonel J posted:

VS does it every time the program starts after building (by using F5, build + run). It also does it everytime a breakpoint is hit (apparently this can be disabled in the options as of VS2019 but we don't support it at work yet) and everytime __debugbreak() is called.

Also many message boxes seem to do it, not sure which in particular but I've had cases where I try to press space or enter at the exact same moment a message box steals focus and that immediately closes it because Windows thinks the button press was intended to close the message box -_-

i found https://blade.sk/stay-focused/ which seems interesting but I don't dare run it on my work pc without seeing the source.

VS is doing it by design so you can't do much unless there's settings you can change. Mystery message boxes is trickier if they're not coming from VS, but it's not part of stock Windows and it'll be hard to pin down. Work comp so maybe it's something work installed, who knows? Check your running processes. :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
When deploying an SSAS solution, VS will open a modal window to ask for credentials or to show progress, but won't always bring it to the front. So you can end up with the now disabled VS main window covering the entire desktop including the window that's waiting for your input :downs:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

When deploying an SSAS solution, VS will open a modal window to ask for credentials or to show progress, but won't always bring it to the front. So you can end up with the now disabled VS main window covering the entire desktop including the window that's waiting for your input :downs:

Well I don't mind focus stealing within the program I guess, but programs stealing focus from each other is just bad form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Colonel J posted:

Well I don't mind focus stealing within the program I guess, but programs stealing focus from each other is just bad form.

What if "within the program" is actually a separate instance of the process (eg, for stability)? What if it's another exe altogether (eg, just for status/notifications)? What if it's not actually from the same vendor (eg, a plugin of some kind?). What if that process spawns another process (see prior permutations)?

Et cetera times 30 years