Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

luxury handset posted:

the only effective way to test to see if someone will be a good mod before they're given a star is to make them an ik. this isn't viable if you need a whole subforum mod asap. the pool of potential mods is also small as many refuse when offered - i've been asked before and i said no because i thought i would be a bad mod and at the time i had offsite weirdos tracking my posts

moderation is not run like a government or business, it is run by volunteers on an ad hoc basis which means that you end up with bad calls sometimes because there cannot nor really should be accountability for metamod decisions. admins don't really scrutinize mod choices and shouldn't really be expected to

Something that's maybe not getting stressed enough in all this is that reporting is the most meaningful window we have on forums problems as a whole.

Every report is seen by an admin, because they are the only ones who can process them. The mod decides what to do, the admin does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FactsAreUseless posted:

When was this?

I think the support bot account was radium but my memory is a sieve

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Didn't we have a friendly coder between radium and ZDR? I think he was here long enough to get his own custom emote.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

I think the support bot account was radium but my memory is a sieve
Oh right, yeah.

A Moose posted:

Didn't we have a friendly coder between radium and ZDR? I think he was here long enough to get his own custom emote.
Choochakako or w/e, named after an Achewood ref if someone wants to check the spelling.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

VanSandman posted:

Is it the code that drives men mad or do only madmen attempt to gently caress with the code?

That abyss stares back hard

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A Moose posted:

Yeah but he was only here because Lowtax was paying him to be here, and presumably that didn’t last long because this place is already a money pit. Well it might not be a money pit anymore, but the rest of Lowtax’s life sure seems to be so I doubt we’ll be seeing another Choochacacko (?) anytime soon.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It's also worth noting a bunch of 'the bad mods' weren't always bad, just combinations of culture shifts in the forums or their own growth/descent into madness left them a poor fit eventually.
Abe's mod challenges really were fun and most of the users liked them for some time.
As much as everyone loves dunking on hendron now, 'mr mouth eat the egg' was pretty funny in the moment and I had friends drive down to see the actual event when it happened.
I think it makes sense for folks to step down or flame out or whatever eventually. It's also okay for y'all to look back at stuff from 10-15 years ago and cringe, it's probably good we're not still 'ironically' using slurs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I propose two year terms for all mods.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

after which they can be hurled into the volcano

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Wait

Groverhaus is in loving Norfolk?

I live across the tunnel from it. Wtf

How did I never know that

it's gotten even more hilarious as it sticks out like a huge sore thumb in the neighborhood that sprouted up around it

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

does grover still live in the haus

Do you really think anyone else would buy it? kids in the neighborhood probably dare each other to walk past it on halloween. Legend goes the tormented ghost of the county building inspector appears on foggy nights trying to warn people away. The neighbors call it "the building in-spectre"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

cock hero flux posted:

it could be useful in determining why people continue to become mods despite having obvious red flags and then remain mods for extended periods of time despite being universally hated

like, I dunno, it seems wrong that the people responsible for choosing mods have no idea of when, why, or how people were chosen, or by who. like if I found some kind of hidden radium button that let me make myself a mod realistically none of you would ever know that that is what happened and that I wasn't supposed to be one

It's probably the excellent pay and outstanding benefits; to say nothing of the title as a resume builder. Like most jobs of this caliber, it comes down to knowing somebody.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

it's gotten even more hilarious as it sticks out like a huge sore thumb in the neighborhood that sprouted up around it

This phrasing makes it sound like its the focal point of the community. Like a 19th-century railroad line or a company town coal mine. People travelling through just saw the haus, dropped their bags and settled down.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

Is it the code that drives men mad or do only madmen attempt to gently caress with the code?

You have to be pretty crazy to go into software development in any capacity in the first place. Even if you aren't our stupid meaty ape brains are bad at the kind of logic being a programmer needs so you end up forcing your hardware to do poo poo it was never designed to. I don't think it's possible to do that sort of thing for any significant period of time and come out sane.

Internet poo poo in particular is...well let's just say you might as well just summon Cthulhu and pledge your eternal souls to the Old Ones right when you start to get it over with.

Source: I'm a software developer. The most true sentence ever typed in the English language is "all code is bad."

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

My Shoes posted:

Yeh. Me too? Please give me money. Ill eat cold spaghetti. whatever.

Don't steal my gimmick

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i just think spreadsheets are neat

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

VanSandman posted:

it's php, so yes.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

When this site finally dies, Lowtax should donate its code to science to study. Mostly because I want software engineers to suffer.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

When was this?

back in 08-09, I believe it was literally GENERIC ADMIN as the name and he tried to play himself off as a woman to hide himself when he posted.

Edit, also best SA forums saga was when someone managed to probate Support bot and welp it does extremely bad things to the forums

UCS Hellmaker has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Aug 28, 2019

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Didn't windows 98 get a second chance with a fake mod account where he poorly concealed his identity only to go mad with power? Also it's kinda neat to see just how often the whole "well that was overly dramatic and a bad idea, let's give you another chance with a secret identity" hasn't worked out with the various front page writers, admins, and mods but we keep trying it.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
BW was one of my favorite E/N posters, she would patiently explain things to people using techniques from her social worker background and was spot on about 90% of the time.

Once she was modded, she would do this hilarious thing where she would gently try to correct someone in the wrong 3-5 times, then give up and just dunk all over them.

I love it, one of my favorite mods ever, but I also see how that style doesn't work with people who are actual abusers and shouldn't have been given more than a second chance.

I see it more as a sign of the times: When she showed up there weren't actively horrible people confessing to bullshit on E/N. For every LLkjsilk there were 50 threads about having boyfriend troubles, or brain troubles, or job troubles, so a funny, light, sassy mod was in place. Now that it's like, mods need to actively involve the police on shitheads, yeah, funny-light-and-sassy doesn't work anymore

Drunk Nerds has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Aug 28, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Drunk Nerds posted:

BW was one of my favorite E/N posters, she would patiently explain things to people using techniques from her social worker background and was spot on about 90% of the time.

Once she was modded, she would do this hilarious thing where she would gently try to correct someone in the wrong 3-5 times, then give up and just dunk all over them.

I love it, one of my favorite mods ever, but I also see how that style doesn't work with people who are actual abusers and shouldn't have been given more than a second chance.

I see it more as a sign of the times: When she showed up there weren't actively horrible people confessing to bullshit on E/N so a funny, light, sassy mod was in place. Now that it's like, mods need to actively involve the police on shitheads, yeah, funny-light-and-sassy doesn't work anymore

If she had a social worker background then it's even more damning.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If she had a social worker background then it's even more damning.

She doesn't.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

xcheopis posted:

She doesn't.

Yeah, I just found a relevant post:

Mocking Bird posted:

Det Mo asked me to mod with her because of being hella pregnant at the time, and I was, shall we say, vocal with my opinions at an inopportune moment during the mod crisis. Neither of us recommended Bobbie.

I'm a licensed clinical social worker with a masters degree and work in child protective services. Bobbie is an eligibility worker who assessed people for programs and services, which is usually a bachelors level position in social services. Social work is a very diverse spectrum, and doesn't always imply advanced education or a therapy license.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm done. I just want to be the one to post it in this thread.

e: that last bit was a joke but frankly it sounds off anyway

FactsAreUseless has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Aug 28, 2019

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If you read the QCS thread, it seems this isn't the first time she hosed up.

Edit: ^ I had just considered quoting you stepping down, but it didn't seem right. I think you're being hard on yourself, but burn out sucks and you have to take care of yourself.

Araenna has a new favorite as of 06:21 on Aug 28, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the sass gloves are off

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Araenna posted:

If you read the QCS thread, it seems this isn't the first time she hosed up.

Edit: ^ I had just considered quoting you stepping down, but it didn't seem right. I think you're being hard on yourself, but burn out sucks and you have to take care of yourself.
I'm just being honest. I want to be able to keep posting here, and that means knowing when it's time to step down. I love these forums. I've just reached the limits of what I can contribute positively as an admin versus a user.

Ghostlight posted:

the sass gloves are off
I've honestly always wondered how many angry titles people have been waiting to buy me.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm done. I just want to be the one to post it in this thread.

e: that last bit was a joke but frankly it sounds off anyway

I appreciate the work you've done, and if stepping down as admin lets you stay on as a poster, godspeed.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Thank you Smythe for permabanning Bobbie Wickham. Also for the record, I do think you're being too hard on yourself FAU but glad you're sticking around as a normal poster at least.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Can we end this conversation? Let me go on the record saying i appreciate BW - personally shes been nice to me so why shouldnt i? and FAU and the other mods.. whatever the gently caress they do isnt really my business.. im here to post not loving judge what mods do. idgaf. who should give a gently caress. drat.. seems obvious thy're doing a service. loving enjoy what we have here and who gives a gently caress what mods do when. idk maybe its just me. but gently caress... chill.. just sayin. we're here to post not judge volunteers who keep this poo poo alive for us. drat. shits getting crazy. post. chill. stay out of business that has nothing to do with you and find something relevant to say.

My Shoes has a new favorite as of 07:06 on Aug 28, 2019

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

My Shoes posted:

Can we end this conversation? Let me go on the record saying i appreciate BW. and FAU and the other mods.. whatever the gently caress they do isnt really my business.. im here to post not loving judge what mods do. idgaf. who should give a gently caress. drat.. seems obvious thy're doing a service. loving enjoy what we have here and who gives a gently caress what mods do when. idk maybe its just me. but gently caress... chill.. just sayin. we're here to post not judge volunteers who keep this poo poo alive for us. drat. shits getting crazy. post. chill. stay out of business that has nothing to do with you and find something relevant to say.

Lmfao

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

all this drama is pissing me off. got enough irl. i just dont care about this poo poo. :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You're in the wrong thread for that, friend. SA's great sagas almost always are dramatic as hell.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Peak centrism in the something awful mod and child abuse conflict

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You're in the wrong thread for that, friend. SA's great sagas almost always are dramatic as hell.

:yeah:

The ones who say that they don't like drama are usually the ones who end up causing the most :thunk:

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

ok: unsubscribe

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
welcome to my block list, troll

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I think it's a bit weird to try and quality control the mods. People on this forum are bizarrely obsessed with them.

Mods, it's time for all of you to choose a Kardashian name, cuz you are apparently worshipped and damned with equal fervor, and also you all have nice big butts!!

E:

Turtlicious posted:

welcome to my block list, troll

I love the block function, no shame. Not only does it keep crazy fuckers away from my eyes, but it was a source of great hilarity during the most recent Zaurg drama.

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 07:28 on Aug 28, 2019

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think it's a bit weird to try and quality control the mods. People on this forum are bizarrely obsessed with them.

Mods, it's time for all of you to choose a Kardashian name, cuz you are apparently worshipped and damned with equal fervor, and also you all have nice big butts!!

E:

I love the block function, no shame. Not only does it keep crazy fuckers away from my eyes, but it was a source of great hilarity during the most recent Zaurg drama.

what about those of us that just dont give a drat? although... interested in the butts. :)

liked your post tho. as always Fleta :love:

My Shoes has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

E:

There are a lot of good mods, but they don't generate as much attention. A spectacular meltdown like El Spider's brief run on GBS is more memorable than long periods of good moderation.