Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Oh joy an online slap fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The episode dropped, it's Thomas Midglee

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

The episode dropped, it's Thomas Midglee

Oh God. I was always fascinated by that story because I kept wanting to know if he was aware of the horrible consequences of what he did and felt bad that he was demonized even in tellings of the stories in which he wasn't (I guess that that either he was aware or his bosses pressured him to keep quiet? gently caress him in either case). Dunno if I can handle that story now, especially if Dave starts going into his were all going to die spiel. I get enough of that from my own brain.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 28, 2019

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I decided to listen to it as my late night go to sleep noise and I bailed at there being an alternative to leaded gas that wasn't profitable enough. Like it would all get more painful from there.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

25 minutes in and I am having an existential crisis for completely different reasons than I expected.

"I mean...I heard vaguely about ethanol fuel but...this was...no one talks about...how...not even textbooks...HOW CAN I KNOW IF ANYTHING IS REAL?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh God. I was always fascinated by that story because I kept wanting to know if he was aware of the horrible consequences of what he did and felt bad that he was demonized even in tellings of the stories in which he wasn't (I guess that that either he was aware or his bosses pressured him to keep quiet? gently caress him in either case). Dunno if I can handle that story now, especially if Dave starts going into his were all going to die spiel. I get enough of that from my own brain.

He was aware of the effects of lead, and faked public appearances to make it look like he was inhaling it with no ill effects.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Lol he cited the main source on the main webpage.

Did he read this thread? Shoutout to the welfare queen book at the top

And they’ll read the sources at the end weee

Veskit fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 28, 2019

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Who are all the upvoters for this top quora answer?
https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-ethanol-used-more-widely-as-an-automobile-fuel

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Oh god this episode is going to make me want to blow my brains out isn’t it? I mean more than normal.

I wish there were more “guy who ships himself from Europe to Australia” or “John 3:16 psycho clown dude” episodes.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Oh god this episode is going to make me want to blow my brains out isn’t it? I mean more than normal.

I wish there were more “guy who ships himself from Europe to Australia” or “John 3:16 psycho clown dude” episodes.

They've been doing a few of those lately (Cyril the Swan and Chris "The Falcon" Boyce were the two most recent ones before Midgley; also Colonel Sanders and Mince Pie are recent-ish and both pretty great) but there was a while where it was nothing but bummer episodes (not Bummer and Lazarus). I've been going through the earlier episodes when I'm doing back-room stuff at work, and the 4-part LAPD History one was rough, but at least it got broken up by a couple smollops. They prefaced the Iraq War one with essentially "hey, this won't be very funny, and we understand if you skip this one."

I think we need more Reverse Dollops, and maybe another Ari Shaffir-like episode where a guest reads a story to their friends Dave Anthony and Gary Reynolds. But not too many - their rarity makes them that much better. Maybe I just like Dave being the one reacting rather than provoking the reactions.

Also, Dang It Bhabhi!, we should rob Loomis.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

to be fair he ends up killing himself in a hilarious fashion

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

to be fair he ends up killing himself in a hilarious fashion

OK then I'm definitely listening.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
But enough about Dave's dad.

J/k, he's only dead to Dave.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

OK then I'm definitely listening.

Thomas Midgley has one of the most karmic deaths in history. Like, I don't know who to rank above him. It would be rejected in a screenplay for being too on the nose.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Rochallor posted:

Thomas Midgley has one of the most karmic deaths in history. Like, I don't know who to rank above him. It would be rejected in a screenplay for being too on the nose.

Robespierre

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Doesn't quite work so well since the arrest removed some of the karmic irony. Namely, he was shot in the jaw and fell on several bayonets during the arrest. But Saint-Just managed to maintain maximum karmic irony for his execution.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
gregor mcgregor is an all-timer. we all know a gregor in our lives, honestly.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I was legit shocked they hadn't already done Gregor McGregor somewhere, I thought they had but it turned out that was Mike Duncan's Revolutions that did a special ep about him.

He was something special.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

absolute loving legend

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Every time a new episode comes out I think "ha ha I won't be shocked by anything THIS week" and then I am always shocked by what I hear.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
Does anyone remember which episode has the story about a woman who (I think) survives a kidnapping and walks back to her hometown through the wilderness? They call her the female Hugh Glass, if I recall.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Binowru posted:

Does anyone remember which episode has the story about a woman who (I think) survives a kidnapping and walks back to her hometown through the wilderness? They call her the female Hugh Glass, if I recall.

Isn't that literally the most recent episode? Marie Dorion.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Binowru posted:

311 - Total Badass Larcena Pennington

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The female Hugh glass one is yet another episode about a badass woman.

http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-82-smollop/

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I think I was confusing Larcena Pennington and Deborah Sampson in my head but Pennington is the one I wanted. Thanks, y'all!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
and that's when the cannibalism started

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

and that's when the cannibalism started

Wrong show

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Rise from your grave!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

https://twitter.com/thedollop/status/1174193449706369025?s=19

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This episode is perfect for Dave and Gareth to mock the subject since the Donner Party disaster was a series of impossibly stupid decisions from (late) start to finish.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I see (hear) that Dave is now reading his sources at the end of the episode, so the logical progression is people bitching about how he should put them at the beginning.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Along with people complaining that he should tell people a time skip for where they can start listening to skip the ads and the sources.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Looks like the complaining worked! Nice work everybody, only took hundreds of episodes.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

I don't understand why that was necessary was what I was getting at. He has a website he posts all his sources on and has for years. I don't expect a historian to smack me in the face with the source list and I expect it even less from a comedy podcast. Plus I think a verbalized list of sources is less valuable than the source website, since he posts clickable links to sources.

I wonder if he's going to read the source list out loud at live recordings from now on.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Pretty sure that Dave, as a guy who makes his living by writing, was probably very sympathetic to that one guy saying "oh hey that's the central story of my book Dave just used without mentioning me, sweet" and is trying to, you know, not do that. Maybe I'm crediting him with too much empathy and he really was finally broken down by the years of complaints that he usually laughs at, but I doubt it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Pretty sure that Dave, as a guy who makes his living by writing, was probably very sympathetic to that one guy saying "oh hey that's the central story of my book Dave just used without mentioning me, sweet" and is trying to, you know, not do that. Maybe I'm crediting him with too much empathy and he really was finally broken down by the years of complaints that he usually laughs at, but I doubt it.

*-it was a guy who wrote an article turned it into a book 2 years later and then made his own podcast that got ignored by everyone because dave already did it 2 years prior getting mad that dave didnt cite his original article verbally in the dollop episode

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
It's very normal for podcasts dealing with history, even comedy ones, to take 30 seconds to give a quick shout out or recommendation of a good book. Some people even like further reading recommendations. Given all the other dumb bullshit that they waste time on I don't see how it's a big deal. He's not reading the whole source list, just calling out the main ones.

And the author who complained muddled it a bit with book sale complaints, but his point was that a lot of people were still recommending Dave's welfare queen episode and treating it as if he researched it himself. Because, surprise, most people aren't going to gently caress around with going to a Squarespace subsite to look at a list of sources and figure out who really put the research together that Dave just read off. We talked it to death already, and obviously it's not Dave's fault that people are kind of lazy and care more about comedy podcasts than history articles, but a shout out costs nothing more than 30 extra seconds on a podcast that's not exactly tight anyway.

Also it looks like Dave is bothering to site Main and Other categories on the sources site, which is nice.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 19, 2019

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

*-it was a guy who wrote an article turned it into a book 2 years later and then made his own podcast that got ignored by everyone because dave already did it 2 years prior getting mad that dave didnt cite his original article verbally in the dollop episode

The Queen was a pretty good podcast series, but yeah I did have a little trouble listening to it because I kept thinking "The Dollop did an episode about her."

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It does not really matter to me whether he reads them out or not, but if people ignorant of the fact that Dave have always kept track of the sources, and only waited until episode 30 or something to start publishing them because he was struggling with the website are going to claim this as some kind of moral victory, that will be annoying.

Hopefully, if people go on about it Dave will stop reading out sources out of spite, which will be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
He's not "reading out the sources." He's highlighting the main source or two. He's also doing this on the sources website which makes it much more readable. It's also better than just vomiting out a high school bibliography on the site and not clarifying the article/book that he got 90% of the material from. It's also basically no extra work, I don't understand what's the big deal.