Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1166464209275760640

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

it's because the ability to demand respect is a function of the power and position they hold

being able to criticize and insult whoever they want while simultaneously demanding respect and decorum isn't just a weird custom they have, it's an assertion of their power and influence. we're expected to respect them because, as employees of a prestigious nationally-famous media company they sit above us on the social and class ladders

if we disrespect them, we're threatening their perception of their position in the social order. and thus they reach out to our bosses - our direct superiors in the class system - to have us disciplined, confident in the knowledge that the bosses we see every day will bow to the word of an angry upper-class professional with media ties

if one of us emailed the university because we were offended by a professor's tweets, they sure wouldn't offer us an invitation to give a public on-campus speech about our complaints. that's special treatment that Bret got because of his position, rather than because of the content of his complaint. and although he didn't get the firing he wanted, he'll probably be mostly satisfied with this acknowledgement that he's a special superior person whose complaints are more influential than those of the probes and plebes

okay but remember: democracy dies in darkness

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
how can a person in tyool 2019 take a random twitter insult seriously? does brett stevens have an inner life? i feel like this is an argument for the existence of philosophical zombies. to paraphrase Sam Kinnison, JULIAN JAYNES HAD THE RIGHT IDEA. HE JUST DIDN'T GO FAR ENOUGH!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
smdh. that’s Bill Hicks

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Vomik posted:

smdh. that’s Bill Hicks

wow. i am ashamed. im also emailing your employer

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
🅱️ret ste🅱️ens is a sociopath and i feel bad for his kid who will 100% grow up to hate him

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1166551774431498247

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

no loving way

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

drat this is actually real

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lmao that bret stephens will die being remembered as bedbug stephens b/c he melted down over the lamest insult

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

comedyblissoption posted:

lmao that bret stephens will die being remembered as bedbug stephens b/c he melted down over the lamest insult

lmao all he had to do was ignore a tweet nobody even saw

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

imo one of the big upsides to social media is that it's reduced elite media opinion down to the level of posting, and now they're being judged with the same consideration you'd give a demented reddit post.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The only good thing about Twitter is that I can tell the chattering class to go gently caress themselves and there's not much that they can do about it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

imo one of the big upsides to social media is that it's reduced elite media opinion down to the level of posting, and now they're being judged with the same consideration you'd give a demented reddit post.

Can't wait for the NYT to give an op-ed gig to lady_anarchia

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

hahahahahahaha

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

he may be a smooth-brained proto-fascist who is going to impoverish us all before killing us, but his twitter game is still :discourse:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao no way

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's real.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

How is there a new national embarrassment at this paper like, every loving week

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

holy poo poo....

loving :lol:

maybe brett will finally turn on trump

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
it seems sad to me that Bret hasn't realised his role in life is to be a bad right-wing columnist. if you're the Times, what you want in a token right-wing columnist is someone your centre-left liberal audience can read, think "now I've listened to both sides, but turns out I was correct to begin with", and come out the other side as centre-left liberals. if he was a persuasive and competent opinion writer, he'd be replaced by someone who wasn't.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Heavy_D posted:

if you're the Times, what you want in a token right-wing columnist is someone your centre-left liberal audience can read, think "now I've listened to both sides, but turns out I was correct to begin with", and come out the other side as centre-left liberals.

you think THAT'S what the Times is trying to do when they hire dipshits like bret?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sodomy Hussein posted:

How is there a new national embarrassment at this paper like, every loving week

liberalism is incapable of resolving its own crisis, and recreates it indefinitely

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

holy moly

i didn't think there was any way Bret Stephens would end up being any more humiliated than usual as a result of the bedbug thing, but I guess I was wrong

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Mr Interweb posted:

you think THAT'S what the Times is trying to do when they hire dipshits like bret?

do you want the likely explanation, or the one that humiliates bret the most?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Mr Interweb posted:

well, i could see it for certain values of "center-left"

mainly the "manhattan middle class" version of it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Heavy_D posted:

if he was a persuasive and competent opinion writer, he'd be replaced by someone who wasn't.

IUCN status: no sightings since 1990, presumed extinct

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

i dunno, i guess i feel that the nyt hiring dumbass right-wingers to make liberals seem smarter gives the nyt more credit than they deserve

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

Mr Interweb posted:

i dunno, i guess i feel that the nyt hiring dumbass right-wingers to make liberals seem smarter gives the nyt more credit than they deserve

getting rewarded for making the right choice for all the wrong reasons? that's the magic of the free market baby!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

nevertrumpers get the tweet too

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

maybe brett will finally turn on trump

stephens has been anti-trump from the beginning. one of the big jokes of the times hiring him is that they put both him and weiss on the editorial page as anti-trump republicans (in addition to douthat and friedman and brooks and im sure others im forgetting) despite the fact that "anti-trump republican" describes statistically nobody in the united states

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shear Modulus posted:

stephens has been anti-trump from the beginning. one of the big jokes of the times hiring him is that they put both him and weiss on the editorial page as anti-trump republicans (in addition to douthat and friedman and brooks and im sure others im forgetting) despite the fact that "anti-trump republican" describes statistically nobody in the united states

yeah whatever, like you're going to write off the entire staff of the weekly standard and their readership

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus posted:

look, just because they believe all the same things and harbor all the same values as MAGA CHUDs doesn't mean they can't be part of the Resistance

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

What was your original intention with the bedbug metaphor?

The reasoning there is every time Bret Stephens writes an article, my Twitter feed explodes with people who find the article annoying, find it wrong, and keep talking about how you just can’t get rid of Bret Stephens.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Heavy_D posted:

it seems sad to me that Bret hasn't realised his role in life is to be a bad right-wing columnist. if you're the Times, what you want in a token right-wing columnist is someone your centre-left liberal audience can read, think "now I've listened to both sides, but turns out I was correct to begin with", and come out the other side as centre-left liberals. if he was a persuasive and competent opinion writer, he'd be replaced by someone who wasn't.
I don't think it's necessarily a "bad columnist" thing. Liberals just want to their main boogeyman de-centered, which is why they've been obsessed with Never Trumpers.

MSNBC propped up right wingers who bucked GOP orthodoxy during the Bush years with Tucker and Buchanan, and the GOP only moved to their direction since.

Liberal influencers understand the importance of not wanting to be de-centered, which is why they also hate platforming leftists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

21st century fascism is following a strongman who promises to ban all the trolls.

Finally, a bipartisan proposal that can get conservatives and liberals together

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I kind of admire the psychotic need of the commentariat class to be respected at all times.

If Twitter has taught me anything, it's that the opinion-column writing classes are universally petty, thin-skinned and not actually particularly clever or well-informed (although they're usually well-connected to the people who hand out the journalism jobs).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Finally, a bipartisan proposal that can get conservatives and liberals together

The problem, comrades, is not the trolls, but the troll‐feeders.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

holy moly

i didn't think there was any way Bret Stephens would end up being any more humiliated than usual as a result of the bedbug thing, but I guess I was wrong

nah now that trump has dissed him he'll become an even more favored "balanced" never trump opinion-haver for centrist outlets and in six months it will be unquestionable in public discourse that bedbug is a racial slur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Pistol_Pete posted:

If Twitter has taught me anything, it's that the opinion-column writing classes are universally petty, thin-skinned and not actually particularly clever or well-informed (although they're usually well-connected to the people who hand out the journalism jobs).

Journalism of all kinds has basically been a jobs program for opinionated failsons for decades now.