Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Rude of the game to give me a lance tournament while Dimitri still can’t enter it

Just send Dedue. In fact, send Dedue to every tournament. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

lunar detritus posted:

Dedue is out for plot reasons so not an option

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I love that one of the first times you can talk to Lysithia she's complaining that the dining hall didn't include enough sweets for dinner

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

lunar detritus posted:

I already miss Dedue. :smith:

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

If I side with Edelgard do I get to be friends with Deathknight? Do I get to control death knight? He’s friends with Edelgard, so I want him. I better get a death knight or else I’m going to put further play throughs off until lunatic comes out.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

If I side with Edelgard do I get to be friends with Deathknight? Do I get to control death knight? He’s friends with Edelgard, so I want him. I better get a death knight or else I’m going to put further play throughs off until lunatic comes out.

Baffingly, no. He shows up to help you at the end of Part 1 as an uncontrollable NPC unit like Ladislava & Randolph but after that he's off screen, vaguely handling areas you never go to. A few characters, like Manuela, will mention speaking with him during the 5 years but otherwise he exits the game entirely. You don't even get access to the paralogue (Mercedes/Caspar) ostensibly about him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Skeleton King posted:

You do not. Although, they have said that the last DLC will contain new recruitable characters and he's probably one of the more likely to be added.

In, you know, a year when the last DLC comes out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

My Dedue still continues to get speed :toot:

up to 22 at level 25

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Andrast posted:

My Dedue still continues to get speed :toot:

up to 22 at level 25

“This will prove my loyalty!”

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Skippy McPants posted:

You do not. Although, they have said that the last DLC will contain new recruitable characters and he's probably one of the more likely to be added.

In, you know, a year when the last DLC comes out.

Death Knight, Gatekeeper, is there anyone else that players really want? I guess playable Rhea.

I want Randolph and Ladislava but there are plot reasons you can't get them sadly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God Ignatz is so loving boring

I'm watching a support that's literally just him staring at a puddle and going "wow I love this"

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Yeah. I'm actually kinda scared because Bernie's actually been hitting her str growths. (15 at level 16, which is pretty good for Bernie). But I'm afraid she's going to class change with exactly 17 str and then never see a str up after that. Stupid superstitious bs I know but still.

Also: come on Cyril let me recruit you so I can laugh at how much you suck some more.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm watching a support that's literally just him staring at a puddle and going "wow I love this"

That seems pretty great

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Just got to the Black Eagles Route Split, played a little bit of both through the big, big event that comes afterwards, and... I dunno man.

Rhea Route seems weird in the sense that there's not a lot of house lords for a game called three houses. That and Rhea seems just a little bit completely loving unhinged. Plus, losing Edelgard and Hubert are really big blows to the team since I wouldn't even know who to fill those gaps with.

On the other hand, Edelgard's route is just weird as gently caress. "Oh yeah, Flayn decided not to go with you, off screen." Okay.... and, like, the loving Death Knight shows up and is just like "so we cool now, because imma help" while Edelgard is just "yeah don't worry about those evil dudes anymore." Plus, I guess we just don't get full cutscenes anymore. Also was reading that this route is a lot shorter than the other ones by several months/stages.

My GF just hit the big events on Golden Deer and I'm going to ask her how things shook on her version of the events. But with that in mind, which BE route are people being more partial to at this point?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

El's route is very rushed sadly. It is shorter, rougher, and you can see the budget running out. On the other hand it's my favorite route in the game and El is my favorite character. Embrace your inner Daenerys and break the wheel.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

he's a good boy

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I didn't realize that after finishing the game that people would actually get paired together in the epilogue. I did the BE route and while I was happy with most of the pairings, Lysithea's was super sad with her family just fading into obscurity. I wanted her to end up with Linhardt and Caspar would end up with Petra, but for some reason Petra and Linhardt hooked up and Caspar and Lysithea stayed single.

I was working so hard to make Raphael and Bernie a thing, but she ended up marrying Hubert which is hilarious enough to work so I'm down with it.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Eimi posted:

El's route is very rushed sadly. It is shorter, rougher, and you can see the budget running out. On the other hand it's my favorite route in the game and El is my favorite character. Embrace your inner Daenerys and break the wheel.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious where and how they could have added a few extra chapters to her route to bring it up to the same length as the others, but it didn't end up happening. Even on her route it's a big game overall, though; I'd put in about 70 hours by the time I hit the end.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I didn't realize that after finishing the game that people would actually get paired together in the epilogue. I did the BE route and while I was happy with most of the pairings, Lysithea's was super sad with her family just fading into obscurity. I wanted her to end up with Linhardt and Caspar would end up with Petra, but for some reason Petra and Linhardt hooked up and Caspar and Lysithea stayed single.

I was working so hard to make Raphael and Bernie a thing, but she ended up marrying Hubert which is hilarious enough to work so I'm down with it.

They really put a ton of effort into the paired endings in this game. Not only does each pairing get its own custom-made ending, sometimes the same pairing will get wildly different endings on different routes. It's such a huge improvement over Awakening and especially Fates' mad libs endings.

The game seems to track support points even after you've reached A rank and give priority to the pairings that have the highest points, so keep that in mind for any future playthroughs when aiming for specific endings. I just circumvented the whole thing by never playing the A support conversations for any pairing that I didn't want to end up together.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 28, 2019

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Note you can see who has the most support points at any time on the unit's stat screen. It'll give a list of the 3 people with the highest support levels for every person.

The top ones will generate a paired ending. It has to be the number one person on both lists, if both Bernie and Petra have Hubert at #1 but Hubert has Edelgard who has Byleth for her top support. none of them would get a paired ending

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 28, 2019

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I was still satisfied with my big dumb muscly boy ending up with Leonie in the end. They basically ended up being Caramon and Tika Majere, except this time it's the wife who's the alcoholic.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Some pairings have the ability to gain more support points, which is the annoying part. Also support point gains have a cap. So say Ferdinand and Dorothea can gain more points after A rank than Ferdinand and Marianne, which means that no matter Dorothea will eventually overtake her. It's annoying. I hope they just bring back S ranks for everyone who can get a paired ending. I don't care if it even gets a scene, I just want the ability to lock in my ships!

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I used meals as a way to boost motivation in the late game, which no doubt messed things up since I wasn't concerned with support levels after maxing everyone out.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

"I wonder if I should ask my wife to join me here, to live out our days together at the monastery"

Why did they take the married guy and the estranged guy who gets back together with his wife 2 of M-Byleth's S rankable dudes.

S Ranks that are platonic are, like, fine in concept. & Gilbert's support line does not give you the absurd runaround that Alois' does (why can you flirt with him????). I'm pretty sure there's a few other s ranks that are platonic for both Byleths' m/f options (I mean at minimum, Gilbert & Alois for F-Byleth too). But it's like c'mon, you didn't need to pick these two in particular. And if you're going to have platonics, regardless of gender, maybe don't write the choice to point directly towards marriage specifically.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

What the gently caress, Retribution lasts for five turns :stare:

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Is Retribution actually useful? I never used it really, it kind of seemed like with Close Counter, there wasn't much uncounterable stuff happening on enemy phase. or is it to like, screw over assholes on ballistae?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

psy_wombats posted:

Is Retribution actually useful? I never used it really, it kind of seemed like with Close Counter, there wasn't much uncounterable stuff happening on enemy phase. or is it to like, screw over assholes on ballistae?

Yes. Watch melee dudes counter siege assholes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

Some pairings have the ability to gain more support points, which is the annoying part. Also support point gains have a cap. So say Ferdinand and Dorothea can gain more points after A rank than Ferdinand and Marianne, which means that no matter Dorothea will eventually overtake her. It's annoying. I hope they just bring back S ranks for everyone who can get a paired ending. I don't care if it even gets a scene, I just want the ability to lock in my ships!

Is this confirmed to be true? That's really annoying.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm going to recruit every character on this, my second playthrough, and I'm going to level all thirty-one of them (because it's Blue Lions) evenly, to increase the challenge level.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

I used meals as a way to boost motivation in the late game, which no doubt messed things up since I wasn't concerned with support levels after maxing everyone out.

I've been doing that too early game (Cause it's good for XP) just im lucky that all my preferred pairings can dine together

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Andrast posted:

Is this confirmed to be true? That's really annoying.

I can confirm that eventually people will stop getting support points with each other, even at max rank, but I can't confirm that people have higher or lower caps beyond "feels like"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

I can confirm that eventually people will stop getting support points with each other, even at max rank, but I can't confirm that people have higher or lower caps beyond "feels like"

I thought they don't show the hearts after max rank but still gain them for paired endings

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Must've been completely intentional that they made Bernie a high-priority target in the Gronder Field chapter right :smith: They know, those monsters.

At least it's Seteth that did the deed and not any of the students, but.

e: I'm sorry, Raphael :smith:

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 28, 2019

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

blizzardvizard posted:

Must've been completely intentional that they made Bernie a high-priority target in the Gronder Field chapter right :smith: They know, those monsters.

At least it's Seteth that did the deed and not any of the students, but.
The only acceptable response to getting shot is to sit there and take it, you deserve the pain for not recruiting her

e: on a different note, I just got Dancer Ferdinand, and :laffo:. Dunno whether or not I should leave him as a dancer or change him into an assassin for that sweet sweet speed/dex growth

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Aug 28, 2019

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I dunno how I’m gonna go back to other FEs and have the classes be weapon locked

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I got a BAD instruction outcome one time, and now it feels like a dream, I almost don't believe it happened.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Eimi posted:

i think it's also the case that characters who gain support points and achieve support ranks later on will take priority on the top 3 list

like in this blue lions run ashe was the first to get a B+ support and the #2 spot with girl byleth a few chapters in, but by the time the timeskip hit he had been knocked off the top 3 entirely by dimitri and dorothea (and dedue, before them)

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Watching Dedue 100% crit some fools never gets old

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sax Solo posted:

I got a BAD instruction outcome one time, and now it feels like a dream, I almost don't believe it happened.

I got one exactly once in an entire playthrough. And there's a 50/50 chance that you'll get back the motivation you spent on it anyway (or 100% if you look up the correct answer), so it's even more pointless.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Sax Solo posted:

I had it happen on Hubert and of course the bastard gains support if you admonish him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Dumb new Game + plan I came up with Yday:

Playthrough 1: Normal
Playthrough 2: Get FByleth the skills I want Plus Riding
Playthrough 3: Max out Flying/enough lances to get into falcon
Playthrough 4: Use byleths skills and tutoring to live the Bow/Dark Knight + Wyvern/Falcon Dream

I have a dream of Edelgard on a wyvern