Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Hunter x Hunter slows to a crawl once it hits the Chimera Ant arc though. Like I love it, it's probably my favorite shonen series, but "super well paced" it is not.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I ended up skipping that arc after a while, now that you remind me, because it took too long to get anywhere. I still kind of recommend it because up to that arc and afterwards it's great, but definitely a big asterisk now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah once you get to north korea the arc'll get your hooks in you and you'll start watching ten plus episodes a day

MMania
May 7, 2008
Another is my favorite mystery/thriller, but it does have a bunch of slow burn moments in between all of the gruesome deaths. I think that's normal for the genre so maybe it's decently well paced in that context? Shiki is the only similar anime I can think of, and it's a much slower series.

LoGH is sort of all over the place, there are huge space battles that are absolutely gripping but there are long stretches of political stuff that I remember kind of zoning out during. Not that I don't think every anime fan should absolutely watch it!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Erased is pretty okay too although your mileage may vary on the ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish more people would've read the manga for Erased because it was far better paced (8 volumes vs. 12 episodes) and certainly didn't rush its ending nearly as much.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

chimera ant's pacing is fine if you binge the entire arc across a week with no breaks

This

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Greed Island is the real enthusiasm killer in HxH.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If there was an edit that removed 90% of the narration and shortened the scenes that are extended solely for the narration Chimera Ant would be decently paced

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 28, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It was the last arc I actually read but I remember liking Greed Island a lot in the manga, I wonder if it was better paced there.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

If there was an edit that removed 90% of the narration and shortened the scenes that are extended solely for the narration Chimera Ant would be decently paced

The epic narration is half of what makes Chimera Ant so awesome.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nate RFB posted:

It was the last arc I actually read but I remember liking Greed Island a lot in the manga, I wonder if it was better paced there.

I remember the pacing being good in the manga too. Went pretty smoothly from bumbling around like a bunch of noobs to eventually just metagaming the gently caress out of everything.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Coincidentally, I’m in the middle of a HxH rewatch and am in the middle of the Chimera Ant Arc. Pretty much everything everyone above said is spot on. There are a lot of points where you could tell the author had an idea that never really materialized, like when they spend half an episode narrating the NGL crime boss’ back story and nothing really comes of it. He also spends too much time on the dynamics of the colony trying to set up the internal conflicts when it isn’t really necessary. He got the same level of characterization out of the Phantom Troupe without all the fluff. (And Yorknew is still my favorite arc.)

Also, Palm is the most useless character, and I will never understand her purpose.

The arc did give us Knuckle and Morel though. :v:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the internal conflicts/politicking of the chimera ants is the best part of the arc imo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The chimera ants part isn't great but the king arc is super good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu posted:

The chimera ants part isn't great but the king arc is super good

That's kind of my take. After the King is born and all the Royal Guard are fully introduced, the conflicts re: the first generation Ants become super low stakes. And tying up those loose ends take a bunch of time that I feel is just wasted. A couple neat things come from keeping them around, but overall, it becomes kind of a slog mucking down the conflict with Meruem and his arc with Komugi and Pitou.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

the internal conflicts/politicking of the chimera ants is the best part of the arc imo
They were but there was a failure of writing in how much time it took for those conflicts to be explained.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
idk chimera ant could definitely be improved but i ate up 50 episodes of it and got less bored than i have watching 26 episodes of any season of any other long-running shounen so i'll consider it successful

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Chimera Ant is epic all the way thru

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I did not say chimera ant was bad

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Looking for recommendations!

I just binge-watched/read Houseki no Kuni, and it's left me craving something similar to it in terms of intensity. I love how the story is propelled by its characters making high-stakes decisions that are affected by their deepest desires and drives, and how the decisions they make tend towards self-destruction.

Some things I can think of that give me a similar feeling:

Chimera Ant arc of HxH
Made in Abyss
Madoka
Fate/Stay Night
Nier & Nier: Automata
Eva
Utena
Bokura no

I'll take anime, manga, or even video game recommendations. Thanks!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
drakengard 3
the revolutionary girl utena video game on the sega saturn
fate/hollow ataraxia
koudelka/shadow hearts/shadow hearts: covenant

there's a lot of video games like this lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
For video games, I would definitely throw Xenogears into that pile.

I'm more hard pressed on anime, but what comes to mind would be akin to
Promised Neverland
Monster
Paranoia Agent
...sighs Attack on Titan
Maybe Eureka 7?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Cephas posted:

I just binge-watched/read Houseki no Kuni, and it's left me craving something similar to it in terms of intensity. I love how the story is propelled by its characters making high-stakes decisions that are affected by their deepest desires and drives, and how the decisions they make tend towards self-destruction.

Chimera Ant arc of HxH
Made in Abyss
Madoka
Fate/Stay Night
Eva
Utena
Bokura no

you would probably enjoy the Rahxephon manga.

It's almost completely different from the anime and only 3 volumes long. It's pretty intense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Julias posted:

For video games, I would definitely throw Xenogears into that pile.

I'm more hard pressed on anime, but what comes to mind would be akin to
Promised Neverland
Monster
Paranoia Agent
...sighs Attack on Titan
Maybe Eureka 7?

Just go with me on this, but you try to watch Violet Evergarden if you have Netflix. You will feel intense things after an episode of that show.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
<comes in whisting Devilman Crybaby's OP>

But really, Devilman Crybaby if you wanna feel existential despair and see poo poo slowly get worse and worse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

Chimera Ant arc of HxH
Made in Abyss
Madoka
Fate/Stay Night
Eva
Utena
Bokura no

wixoss

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Can second s1 and 2 of Wixoss. No idea how s3 and 4 are though.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Maybe try this season’s Granbelm?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf i wouldnt really call them 's3 and s4,' characters recur but there's no involvement from the writer of s1 and s2 and they start out with a different cast, and s2 of wixoss ends pretty conclusively. The more recent stuff isn't bad, but as someone who wasn't super into it I'd mostly describe it as like, a spinoff or something. An AU.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Qualia the Purple is quite short and fits the bill.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Kaiji

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this is basically just a bunch of my favorite shows in disguise, but all the same:

Mirai Nikki (manga ending. the show technically covers the manga ending in an OVA but it adds a really weird filler arc RIGHT at the end which isn't offensively bad or anything but screws up the pacing. also, probably the most controversial pick on this list, so start with one of the others)

i more or less agree with this analysis, but i feel like the reason why this is the case is (if not exactly important) a fun note. whoever decided to end the TV anime where they did is a complete trolling rear end in a top hat and i love it

for anyone who's not aware and doesn't wanna go watch for themselves, essentially: imagine you're watching a series that's spending a whole lot of time and effort on getting you invested in its main couple. when you're specifically on board with them or not on board with them is gonna vary, but regardless, the series desperately wants you to feel empathy for them and want a happy ending for them, and the varying plot twists seem to be specifically leading up to something like that.

and then the female lead abruptly stabs herself in the gut with maybe 5 minutes to go in the last episode. and the protagonist then literally spends eternity in a horrible depression about it. THE END, MOTHERFUCKER, NO MORAL, HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE SHOW

this is, if you haven't figured it out yet, not quite where the manga ends, and is in fact the manga's fake-out ending before the pendulum swings back the other way. the only hint as to this in the anime whatsoever is a brief stinger of the protagonist's future-prediction-phone-thingy changing that's actually kind of easy to miss.

the OVA only needed to be an OVA, and only needed to have that padding, because whoever directed the anime was a complete amazing jackass.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Yak of Wrath posted:

Qualia the Purple is quite short and fits the bill.

i've never felt my brain crash like this before lol, great manga

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah qualia the purple is fantastic. It does so much crazy poo poo in just 18 chapters.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So I found out that a bunch of my coworkers are all basically nerds and formerly weebs, and I was thinking of arranging movie evenings centered around environmentalist movies. We already have some American / English movies to watch, but I'm curious if there are any anime movies with heavy themes related to the environment / environmental sustainability? I have Princess Mononoke on my list already.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Princess Mononoke's predecessor, Nausicaa!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I found out that a bunch of my coworkers are all basically nerds and formerly weebs, and I was thinking of arranging movie evenings centered around environmentalist movies. We already have some American / English movies to watch, but I'm curious if there are any anime movies with heavy themes related to the environment / environmental sustainability? I have Princess Mononoke on my list already.

origin: spirits of the past
pom poko

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Davincie posted:

origin: spirits of the past

Fair warning; The opening credits track is a hell of an earworm that will never leave you.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Legend of the Forest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fist of the North Star (1986)