Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The worst part about Quiet is when you can finally unlock an outfit for her that isn't so skeezy, well you're at the end game and even then she leaves a few missions before the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

Quiet would be my favorite Metal Gear character if it weren't for how skeevy they get with her. She's really neat and complex, but because of the multiple elephants in the room with her design they all kinda get dismissed as being as dumb as the dumbest parts of her.

She basically just hates nearly everyone on every side of every conflict in the game personally, and for good reason, hence her being hilariously petty about random poo poo. I'd love that for a Metal Gear character, but it comes off poorly.

I mean, just put her in something besides "as little as we can get away with" and she seems rad as hell, she seems like she has a good character starting point so far and she snipes a fighter jet pilot from the chopper he's currently attacking for god's sake

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
the real problem is that The End didn't show any rear end.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Cleretic posted:

Quiet would be my favorite Metal Gear character if it weren't for how skeevy they get with her. She's really neat and complex, but because of the multiple elephants in the room with her design they all kinda get dismissed as being as dumb as the dumbest parts of her.

She basically just hates nearly everyone on every side of every conflict in the game personally, and for good reason, hence her being hilariously petty about random poo poo. I'd love that for a Metal Gear character, but it comes off poorly.

There's absolutely nothing complex about Quiet and between the awful depiction of the B&B squad in MGS4, perving on a 16 yo girl in Peace Walker and Quiet it's clear Kojima's brain broke after MGS3.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I subbed for a month of wow since everyone I know is playing WoW classic.

I played vanilla wow in highschool and didn't enjoy it so I'm not sure why I thought it would be different this time.

Sure tooling around in discord with voice chat as a group was enjoyable but the quest design was all so incredibly bad. And I couldn't remember which npc gave me this poo poo so I had to go to Google to look stuff up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Terminally Bored posted:

There's absolutely nothing complex about Quiet and between the awful depiction of the B&B squad in MGS4, perving on a 16 yo girl in Peace Walker and Quiet it's clear Kojima's brain broke after MGS3.

I guess that is correct (about Quiet at least, I can't speak to how cohesive Kojima's brain is). I think the reason she feels more complex is because she straight-up just doesn't communicate, so all the insight you get into her as a character is through other people's interpretations and interactions. In the world of Metal Gear, where everything's overexplained as hell, Quiet's an interesting different element in that world in that, while the answers might be easy, she's not giving them to you and all you're getting from other people is incomplete guesswork.

Metal Gear's a world that states its themes, story and historical details, and character arcs at length and at full volume for about 95% of the entire series. Quiet is most of that other 5%, though, and that little island of 'you figure it out' stands out pretty strongly if you're willing to look past the boobs, which I admit is a big ask.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Len posted:

I subbed for a month of wow since everyone I know is playing WoW classic.

I played vanilla wow in highschool and didn't enjoy it so I'm not sure why I thought it would be different this time.

Sure tooling around in discord with voice chat as a group was enjoyable but the quest design was all so incredibly bad. And I couldn't remember which npc gave me this poo poo so I had to go to Google to look stuff up.

Yeah I don't know who the game is for. Kids who were too young when it first came out won't appreciate the vintage because they have no nostalgia for it and adults who remember it fondly no longer have the free time to put up with it's quirks. I don't think a lot of people remember how far MMOs have come since WoW launched and all the iterations of updates it's been through.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Is WoW classic literally as it was on release, or does it include pre-expansion balance/etc'... updates? I just remember when I was playing Warlock was kinda weak, but then some time before the first expansion (and shortly after I stopped playing) it received such a huge buff that it gets a nod in the first expansion's trailer.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I don't know who the game is for. Kids who were too young when it first came out won't appreciate the vintage because they have no nostalgia for it and adults who remember it fondly no longer have the free time to put up with it's quirks. I don't think a lot of people remember how far MMOs have come since WoW launched and all the iterations of updates it's been through.

One of the snags with MMOs in general is that people are realizing the good times mostly game from playing the game with your friends rather than the horrid grinding that most of them end up requiring.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My favorite WoW classic reactions have been from friends who either never actually played vanilla WoW, or only played the content on private servers so they're getting their poo poo handed to them by wolves, can't find any copper and after a full day of playing couldn't even reach level 20.

They seem to think the game is broken, and I get to laugh at them.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

One of the snags with MMOs in general is that people are realizing the good times mostly game from playing the game with your friends rather than the horrid grinding that most of them end up requiring.

Yeah I had to swear off MMOs because of the time sink (other than Destiny, but I'm not sure if that really counts). I've just got too much poo poo going on with a wife and kid. I still find time to game, but it has to be something I can put down at the drop of a hat to deal with stuff around the house. gently caress blocking off 5+ hours for a loving raid. Are you kidding me? I'm 35, I've got poo poo to do.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

New Leaf posted:

I'm 35, I've got poo poo to do.

Like watching Dragonball.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Is WoW classic literally as it was on release, or does it include pre-expansion balance/etc'... updates? I just remember when I was playing Warlock was kinda weak, but then some time before the first expansion (and shortly after I stopped playing) it received such a huge buff that it gets a nod in the first expansion's trailer.

It's based on 1.12 which was the last big vanilla patch before the pre-BC stuff.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Player movement speed in Destiny 2 is laughably slow.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I haven't played MGSV past the intro hospital level, but is Quiet the lady that gets soaked in alcohol and lit on fire in the intro? I imagine the reason she doesn't talk is because she would sound like someone's 80 year old, pack-an-hour granny (actually, that sounds absolutely hilarious and now I'm pissed Kojima didn't do that).

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

New Leaf posted:

Yeah I had to swear off MMOs because of the time sink (other than Destiny, but I'm not sure if that really counts). I've just got too much poo poo going on with a wife and kid. I still find time to game, but it has to be something I can put down at the drop of a hat to deal with stuff around the house. gently caress blocking off 5+ hours for a loving raid. Are you kidding me? I'm 35, I've got poo poo to do.

Yeah, I've played a few MMOs in my day but I've never understood the appeal of a game that basically becomes a second job. EVE was the only one I played for any appreciable amount of time because, well, first off I played Goons in Space instead of EVE and mostly did poo poo that didn't require specific time frames. I mostly just manufactured poo poo and got up to economic shenanigans. Mostly was just playing with spreadsheets. EVE was pretty forgiving as far as time commitments go but even that could start demanding way more time than anybody should spend on a video game.

Except for poo poo like...well Mittens was apparently retired and financially stable enough to just go "gently caress it, I play EVE all day now."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Player movement speed in Destiny 2 is laughably slow.

Not if you play as one specific class and use one specific highly impractical glitch to move just slightly faster than the rest of your team mates doing bunny hops!

Randalor posted:

I haven't played MGSV past the intro hospital level, but is Quiet the lady that gets soaked in alcohol and lit on fire in the intro? I imagine the reason she doesn't talk is because she would sound like someone's 80 year old, pack-an-hour granny (actually, that sounds absolutely hilarious and now I'm pissed Kojima didn't do that).

Yes, but that's not why she doesn't talk.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Randalor posted:

she doesn't talk because she's been infested with a primordial larynx-based parasite that will induce a virulent plague if exposed to glottal vibrations unique to the english language

if you made it to the end of that sentence without a nosebleed, well done!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Randalor posted:

Yes, and while it's not really a spoiler since you see her face, it was at least only really obvious to me when you do the second run of the hospital at the end of the game, because it's a pretty long time between when you get a look at her face in the intro and when you see her as Quiet, and you don't really know she's important enough to pay attention to in the intro, but by the time I got to the second run I'd committed her face to memory.

The explanation as to why she's silent is only tangentially related (late-game spoilers). When they saved her with the photosynthetic parasite they took from The End's body, they also injected her with the English strain of the vocal cord parasites, which would mature, hatch and kill the host if they feel the host making vocalizations that match English. They injected her with those as a plan for killing off Diamond Dogs--they all speak English, so if they take her in for interrogation then she infects them and they all die. They didn't count on her being so loving stubborn that she'd refuse to speak, at all.

She doesn't write anything instead because gently caress you, that's why. I'm not even making a joke here, really, she really is just keeping silent out of spite. She hates Cipher for turning her into Quiet, but she also hates Diamond Dogs for giving them the opportunity. So gently caress everybody, she's getting taken in by Diamond Dogs and not giving them anything, nobody is happy.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Aug 28, 2019

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

idk im pretty happy on those helicopter rides

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Cleretic posted:

She doesn't write anything instead because gently caress you, that's why. I'm not even making a joke here, really, she really is just keeping silent out of spite.

I'm pretty sure I remember either hearing on cassette / reading in a log somewhere in-game that writing makes vocal cords move as if you were talking, just not as intense. Which would explain her refusal to write english. Unless I'm misremembering, which is possible.

Something bringing down the endgame of MGS5: Snake gets incapacitated in one of the last missions, and Quiet has to speak on the radio to save him since she's fallen for him. At one point, she tries speaking in Navajo, which is the one language that no parasites are activated by, but the only person on base who speaks it isn't available. Despite him knowing she can speak it and is infected. And this all happening on a mission where Snake is trying to rescue her, so it'd make sense to have him on hand in case she needs to communicate something.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

JackSplater posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember either hearing on cassette / reading in a log somewhere in-game that writing makes vocal cords move as if you were talking, just not as intense. Which would explain her refusal to write english. Unless I'm misremembering, which is possible.

Honestly, MGSV has a bit of a thing here where all of its talking about any given subject gets blended in with both itself and people in real life discussing it, so I genuinely don't know; it might be that Code Talker said this, but it might also be possible that someone said this while talking about Code Talker, or even independently of MGSV entirely, and we're just conflating it. I don't remember any of it clearly enough to know for sure.

Basically the only tape about the vocal cord parasites that I definitely remember is Code Talker explaining how it's possible for the parasites to evolve to instead be triggered by a different, similar language to the ones they were initially trained on. And I only remember that because he used Spanish and Portugese as examples, and the way he says 'Portugese' has been stuck in my head ever since.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hamburgers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Copulation

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Wolbachia

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The metallic archaea

Code Talker's voice acting is the best part of all of MGSV.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Like watching Dragonball.

My wife and kid like it too, so it's "family time"! :)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

she doesn't talk because she's been infested with a primordial larynx-based parasite that will induce a virulent plague if exposed to glottal vibrations unique to the english language

if you made it to the end of that sentence without a nosebleed, well done!

I seriously love this as a plot point. Screw "keep politics out of videogames", Kojima takes (very basic) ideas on politics and plays them to the loving hilt. Language is a tool of imperialism and colonialism - shall we analyse how oppressors deploy their language? Nah, let's stab language in the face :black101:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I appreciate that the inclusion of politics is such a non-issue in Metal Gear that we have plot-points where Gulf War veterans all have Big Boss DNA grafted onto them and there was a giant-robot involved in the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I seriously love this as a plot point. Screw "keep politics out of videogames", Kojima takes (very basic) ideas on politics and plays them to the loving hilt. Language is a tool of imperialism and colonialism - shall we analyse how oppressors deploy their language? Nah, let's stab language in the face :black101:

that's skull face's master plan in a nutshell, he actually has very reasonable goals but tries to enact them in the most ludicrous way possible

i especially liked that, in keeping with the XOF concept, they're also the polar opposite of what big boss and the philosophers set out to accomplish

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Plus, he's another in the cavalcade of people going "Now, this is what the Boss wanted all along!", with a completely different plan than everybody else.

Skull Face is such a dumb villain. James Horan does a bang-up job, but GOD is it stupid.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Thing dragging MGS down as a series is that it didn't end after 3.

MGR was a pretty big consolation prize but everything other than that after 3 just felt so unnecessary.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Doom 2016 is dimly lit, and it is hard to see where to go sometimes.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Turn the gamma up? Doom 16 takes place in bright-red Mars and bright-orange Hell.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Terminally Bored posted:

Having played Snatcher and Policenauts before, I can authoritatively say lol nah that’s just Kojima.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kojima likes looking at boobs and butts and I’ll be honest so do i

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yeah, if you're going to do modern politics, it's best to do it in the MGR cheesy-as-hell "JUST LIKE THE GOOD OLE DAYS AFTER NINE ELEVEN!" fashion. small related gripe: its obvious that when activision says that the upcoming Modern Warfare will not be political, they meant that it won't have any real-life politics reflected in it.

oldpainless posted:

Japanese developers are a godsend in this regard

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

oldpainless posted:

:hai:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I'm certain he's bisexual and I think Death Stranding was mostly an excuse to hang out with men he has a crush on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Kojima loves the Lord Humungus.

Just sayin...