Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Magna Carta does nothing except ensure property rights for the nobility, it isn't actually an important heritage of the UK or anything. Fuckin bitch rear end made up country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Obliterati posted:

It's not untrue: the monarchy is a shitstain on our shitstain state but it's also a captive of Parliament and excepting the Duchy of Cornwall is completely financially dependent on the allowance Parliament sets them. This matters because the maintenance costs alone on their old rotting estates are crippling yet they won't give any up

E: the last time a monarch opposed Parliament was Queen Anne in the early 1700s, if you don't count Edward VII who they made abdicate for it

What makes Cornwall different?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

prefect posted:

You know how in crusader kings videogames you keep some lands for yourself even if you get beaten really badly in rebellions.

Like that.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

prefect posted:

The Duchy of Cornwall is the title covering the lands, properties and rights of the heir to the throne and as such is basically just a private business. It's concentrated in Cornwall but there's a bunch of it in Devon as well, iirc

It's nominally profitable but it's run by the wage-scalping credulous buffon called Prince Charles and doesn't make enough to maintain financial independence for the dynasty

E: as above

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

prefect posted:

the duchy of cornwall is run directly by prince charles and makes some money which goes directly into his pocket. I don't even think he pays taxes on it

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Barry Foster posted:

But that's exactly what the OP said?

Hehe nice

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Relevant Tangent posted:

how are you people willfully blind to the monarchy

What do you mean 'you people'

loving Americans

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RobattoJesus posted:

The entire country enrages me and at this point I suggest we just encase the entire island in concrete and sink to the bottom of the sea as a warning to future generations.

This place is not a place of honour, no esteemed recipes are buried here

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Private Speech posted:

You know how in crusader kings videogames you keep some lands for yourself even if you get beaten really badly in rebellions.

Like that.

I love Paradox Interactive for letting this be a point of reference in 2019

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Dravs posted:

Well we have the Magna Carter which is basically an agreement by the land barons to give overall sovereignty to a single Monarch (I mean it's a lot more than this obviously, but it's probably the closest thing we have to a constitution).

Edit: Actually that's a bit wrong, it's more to do with how laws bind all people and how everybody has to abide by them, but it's really old and confusing.

Most of the Monarchs power was devolved to parliament when Oliver Cromwell won the civil war (this is also why the Monarch is no longer allowed to step foot inside parliament). The Monarch became a figurehead that is really just there for formality.

For a Monarch to exercise power nowadays they would risk undermining parliament which would likely trigger even more devolution of power which would lead to a Republic probably.

I mean, I guess in theory the queen could just walk into parliament and stab Boris Johnson with the royal sword, not sure anybody could stop her, but then she is not a complete lunatic and Charles would be PISSED if he didn't get to have his go on the fancy chair.

who on this earth cares what charles thinks tho

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

More of a Big List then a Big Map IMO

Medieval latin and all that

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

as charters go, its great

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
Orbis Njhoosn

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Make the charter great again

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Rustybear posted:

Never understand why American's think the lack of a single unified constitution is a such a big deal.

Doggedly sticking to a document written by slave-owners in the 18th century is the outlier not the norm.

Computer, please show us if this is "lol Americans don't use the metric system" or a "lol Brits drive on the goofy side of the road" please.

*calculating* *calculating* *calculating*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_constitutions

Ah, the latter.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wonder what the world looks like right now if theresa may had won a majority in 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Attorney at Funk posted:

remoaners are going apeshit, we've got lib dems out here talking like conan the barbarian

https://twitter.com/thomasbrake/status/1166629032567459841

lmao sure you will the party that is the male anglerfish to the Tories

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Attorney at Funk posted:

I wonder what the world looks like right now if theresa may had won a majority in 2017

Well we would have left Europe and there would be a border in the Irish sea?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

more or less the same except in parts of britain

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
hi what does suspending the parliament mean for you sorry lots

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

#peoplesparliament legit disgusts me

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

The most recent Reith Lectures are UK Supreme Court Justice Jonathan Sumption arguing in part why UK Parliamentary democracy is preferable to a constitution, for anyone interested

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

It means brexit is coming

And no one can stop it!!

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Lastgirl posted:

Nothing. Nothing means anything anymore.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Martin BadClixx posted:

It means brexit is coming

And no one can stop it!!

:yossame:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
It's a shame Boris is too posh and dumb to ever recognize and feel regret anything for the pain, suffering and death he is about to cause.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

parliament gets to go on vacation rather than voting on not doing brexit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

parliament gets to go on vacation rather than voting on not doing anything about brexit

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

Also something that started out as a joke on Facebook is probably really going to happen.

A brexit festival in Holland on October 31st. French wine, Belgian and German beer and Spanish sausage on the beach. When the sun sets the plan is to play that Italian song about saying good-bye and wave good-bye.

Here is a link in dutch from a local news paper
https://m.noordhollandsdagblad.nl/cnt/dmf20190827_97802137/burgemeester-smit-van-beverwijk-trots-op-feestje-brexit-aan-zee

What I am trying to say: lmao world is a gently caress

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Martin BadClixx posted:

Also something that started out as a joke on Facebook is probably really going to happen.

A brexit festival in Holland on October 31st. French wine, Belgian and German beer and Spanish sausage on the beach. When the sun sets the plan is to play that Italian song about saying good-bye and wave good-bye.

Here is a link in dutch from a local news paper
https://m.noordhollandsdagblad.nl/cnt/dmf20190827_97802137/burgemeester-smit-van-beverwijk-trots-op-feestje-brexit-aan-zee

What I am trying to say: lmao world is a gently caress

needs a sister-event at the spanish-gibralter border

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Pretty sure the idea of proroguing parliament to get no deal through started as a crackpot brexiteer twitter theory back in March too.

Of course as everyone said May wasn't crazy enough to do that.

e: I misspelt brexiteer as brexitter but I think I actually prefer that, rhymes with quitter/shitter rather than a loving musketeer

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 13:53 on Aug 28, 2019

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

frankenfreak posted:

It's a shame Boris is too posh and dumb to ever recognize and feel regret anything for the pain, suffering and death he is about to cause.

Boris is a kid pulling the wings off a butterfly. I get the feeling he isn't motivated by anything other than "hmm what happens if I do this?"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ms Fuchi posted:

The most recent Reith Lectures are UK Supreme Court Justice Jonathan Sumption arguing in part why UK Parliamentary democracy is preferable to a constitution, for anyone interested

Well Jesus have you seen what a constitution gets you? A million gunned down kids

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

So how does this work can the Queen just say no or it is some dumb formal operation she has no real control over?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

If she says no they bring out the guillotine

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Raccooon posted:

So how does this work can the Queen just say no or it is some dumb formal operation she has no real control over?

The Queen's a rubber stamp

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Raccooon posted:

the queen refusing parliament (and by extension the PM, since he has the confidence of parliament lol) is absolutely out of the question as a matter of convention. if she did refuse it would send the whole situation spiralling even further out of control than it is already

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Raccooon posted:

To put it in American terms The Queen is our Ronald MacDonald

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RobattoJesus posted:

To put it in American terms The Queen is our Ronald MacDonald

and prince philip is colonel sanders, essentially the same but much more racist