Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm just glad the stans can't vote because they're all 14.

https://twitter.com/charlie_rxx14/status/1166648693501677568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TinTower posted:

I mean, "cancel culture" is flawed because people like Alec Holowka will just walk into another game studio but…

Holy loving poo poo that reply. :stonk:

I'm afraid to ask because I absolutely adore Night in the Woods, but what did they do?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Raped at least three women.

https://twitter.com/unburntwitch/status/1166212005629325313?s=21

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
What a garbage person. gently caress that guy.

Edit: Oh and the replies to her are super disgusting. Professional victim who wants to kick off gamer gate 2.0, because the first went over so well for her.

Goddamn are gamers terrible

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 11:43 on Aug 28, 2019

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

TinTower posted:

- Hey! Mister priminister! Andy!

- All right, mates. What's the good word?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dang, guy had big hands in two indie games I really liked. You'd think it'd be easy to not be a complete garbage person, but somehow these people continue to disappoint.

I was recently part of a small game community where the lead dev/admin had a real issue with constantly creeping on any female users, especially ones he knew were underage. As did his inner circle of friends. Anyone who took issue with this would get publicly banned for the smallest infraction, to the point where even posting about posts those people made was an insta-ban. Even after cutting my losses and bailing I still occasionally get a friend or two DMing me about how it's getting worse, somehow. Nerds in positions of power over other people are the worst.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

TinTower posted:

k-pop fans have some of the most profoundly broken brains I have ever seen on the internet and that is saying something

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like you’re saying a member of BTS would do a worse job than Cameron, May, or Boris. An inanimate object would do a better job than that trio.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zoe Quinn is the unluckiest person in the gaming industry.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I came across claims that she's trying to "start a new Gamergate."

Because you know the last one turned out so well for her.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Mak0rz posted:

I came across claims that she's trying to "start a new Gamergate."

Because you know the last one turned out so well for her.

Fragile-rear end manbabies who can't handle :females: in their hobby

Imagine being that much of a pathetic failson

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Fragile-rear end manbabies who can't handle :females: in their hobby

Semi-related question:

Who do people who identify as "gamers" hate more: :females: with the audacity to play video games, or guys like me who play very casually, and don't care sufficiently about the games to yell racial slurs if we are getting beaten?

Because both groups are disrespecting and belittling their "culture".

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

Semi-related question:

Who do people who identify as "gamers" hate more: :females: with the audacity to play video games, or guys like me who play very casually, and don't care sufficiently about the games to yell racial slurs if we are getting beaten?

Do you really have to ask? It's women.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

subpar anachronism posted:

Do you really have to ask? It's women.

They hate women almost as much as they hate themselves

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Semi-related question:

It's very definitely the former.

Don't try to edge in on other people's oppression, it's not a good look.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ratoslov posted:

Zoe Quinn is the unluckiest person in the gaming industry.

I worry that she's the norm and most never speak out because one million incel gamers will devote 40 hours a week to ruining your life.

https://mobile.twitter.com/abeaujon/status/1166710775173517312
Congratulations to Bret Stevens on his new position

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

wizzardstaff posted:

That's because it was never about gamer "culture", it's about fragile incel losers who blame women for their own pathetic lives. They want women, believe they are owed sex and affection, but they also hate and fear them. Women "intruding" on nerd hobbies just serves as a reminder to them of how they have been rejected, so they lash out.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

zoux posted:

I worry that she's the norm and most never speak out because one million incel gamers will devote 40 hours a week to ruining your life.

It's not just a problem with sexual assault and other forms of abuse. It's incredibly hard to speak out about basically anything in gaming centric circles because capital-G Gamers will melt the gently caress down over the most minute criticisms. Even if it's something as simple as "Can we maybe stop trying to pressure literal children into purchasing micro transactions for this game." There is no molehill too small for them to line up to die on, especially if it means defending a corporate entity from someone on the internet saying things might be cooler if they were different. So it reaches a point where having an opinion on literally anything can get you death threats and abusive messages spamming your inbox from the reddit chud crowd, I can only imagine the fresh hell it is to actually speak up about something like sexual assault and directly name the prolific creator who did it, and I can't really blame other people for not wanting to deal with that next level garbage fire in their lives, either.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Semi-related question:

How many casual guy players do you see get rape threats hurled at them?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Gamers do get mad at casual players, but there's nobody they hate quite as much as they hate women.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Gamers do get mad at casual players, but there's nobody they hate quite as much as they hate women.

They also hate trans people a lot.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Gamers get mad at casual players when they perceive that the casuals are getting in their way of enjoying the game.

Gamers get mad at women just for existing, and sometimes for not existing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

wizzardstaff posted:

Fair enough. And I'm sorry if it appeared like I was trying to like a victim of gamer "oppression". Or indeed belittle the actual vile harrassment these fuckwads throw at women online.

I just thought that the kind of arsehole who gets mad about girls invading his super special treehouse, is the same kind of arsehole that gets super mad about someone liking the same thing he likes, but liking it wrong/not enough.

But all the responses make sense. Because girls are icky, and exist only to be hated and feared.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
"The only reason women don't like me is because everyone knows girls don't play games and they hate gamers. That's it, and no other reason." is no longer a functioning excuse for someone who places a shitload of their self worth into sex and their lack of it.

All those nasty Chads and Stacys and MOMS play games too now, which is where I think the whole 'filthy casuals' thing actually becomes relevant, because if they're not playing real games unlike real gamers, then the excuse still holds up. But of course casuals are killing the industry or whatever.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Also, Zoe didn't start Gamergate. It happened in reaction to her. Well, as much as a general reactionary anti-woman movement could be said to be started by the actions of one person.

More idiots on social media! One where both members are dolts.

Samovar has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not your personal army (unless you're a woman then we totally are).

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
I like how "casual gaming" means anything that isn't Super Nerd Approved. Madden? Casual for jocks. Sims? Casual for chicks. Splatoon? Casual for kids. Smash Bros? TOTALLY HARDCORE.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/petridishes/status/1166740441770991616

Even Mark Trail has to deal with trolls

wizzardstaff posted:

Gamers get mad at women just for existing, and sometimes for not existing.

Listen here bud, my ideal woman exists in a quantum superposition of all possibilities and I am NOT going to disrespect my queen by observing her wave function and collapsing it

zoux has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Aug 28, 2019

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

hyperhazard posted:

I like how "casual gaming" means anything that isn't Super Nerd Approved. Madden? Casual for jocks. Sims? Casual for chicks. Splatoon? Casual for kids. Smash Bros? TOTALLY HARDCORE.

Have a job/career and play games for fun? Sorry you can't be a gamer. You need a Twitch.TV stream with sponsorship and playing games 8-10 hours a day if you want to be a gamer. If you can only play a few hours a week and not dedicating your paycheck to supporting your lifestyle, then get the gently caress out you casual piece poo poo.

When someone told me that the training for martial arts competitions could easily be compared to Smash Bros competition preparations , I laughed in his face.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

When someone told me that the training for martial arts competitions could easily be compared to Smash Bros competition preparations , I laughed in his face.

It is similar. Only difference is that for a martial arts competition you train hard and eat well. For Smash Bros competition you stay up all night browsing alt-right forums looking for the latest racist memes to yell at your opponent.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Nuebot posted:

They also hate trans people a lot.

trans women ARE women

they don't know what trans men are

bhangraton
Aug 20, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

trans women ARE women

they don't know what trans men are

uh ok

also yea they do, they're very mad about "females" becoming sexually inaccessible (read: undesirable) to them for any reason

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/DrewMoeDee/status/1166749739527917569

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

How do these "gamer is an oppressed minority" people exist when gaming is several times bigger than movies as a business?

eSports is regularly shown on national TV broadcasts. Gaming is huge.

Are they willingly saying that "gaming is more mainstream than tv and movies combined, but being a sexist racist is a minority"?

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

lobsterminator posted:

How do these "gamer is an oppressed minority" people exist when gaming is several times bigger than movies as a business?

eSports is regularly shown on national TV broadcasts. Gaming is huge.

Are they willingly saying that "gaming is more mainstream than tv and movies combined, but being a sexist racist is a minority"?

Yes, they are saying that “gamers” as a subset of “people who play video games” is a minority. They are the true gamers, the stewards of the hobby, the gatekeepers.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheManWithNoName posted:

Yes, they are saying that “gamers” as a subset of “people who play video games” is a minority. They are the true gamers, the stewards of the hobby, the gatekeepers.

I'm sure at least some of them think that black people using the "gamer word" is cultural appropriation, given the whole "big bang theory is nerd black face" thing that went around

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

TheManWithNoName posted:

Like all fascists, they believe that newcomers are suspect, not full members of the group they attempted to join.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Oh, so all men are toxic then?

and all women. all children to. humanity itself is toxic.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nasboat3000/status/1166577832627249152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JohnAnzo/status/1166729666268454912?s=19