Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I haven’t really kept up with DC comics in a long while but I found final crisis digging around in my garage and got sucked back in, only to find out that continuity was reset twice in the past ten years, smh

What’s the best DC stuff of the last decade? I tend to like Batman-as-detective, stories that focus on B and C listers like Question/Starman, more off beat stuff like Swamp Thing, and deconstruction takes like Animal Man, though I don’t expect Watchmen II to have been handled deftly.

You should definitely check out the New 52 Animal Man and Swamp Thing.
For offbeat stuff try China Mieville's Dial H and the Young Animal titles curated by Gerard Way. Shade The Changing Girl was my favourite one of those.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’ll check those out, thanks guys

radlum
May 13, 2013
Besides the short Ellis run, is the modern Moon Knight stuff any good? I remember dropping the title as soon as Ellis left, but the Disney+ TV show made me interested in checking the more recent stuff

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

radlum posted:

Besides the short Ellis run, is the modern Moon Knight stuff any good? I remember dropping the title as soon as Ellis left, but the Disney+ TV show made me interested in checking the more recent stuff

Rename this thread to 'Jeff Lemire Recommendations': https://www.comixology.com/Moon-Knight-2016-2017/comics-series/69152
Dunno about the Wood and Bunn stuff between them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Lemire stuff is really good, handles the mental health stuff really well, and has Stokoe art of fighting werewolves on the moon

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lemire's run is probably one of the best runs of Moon Knight and also probably my favorite thing he's written for either DC or Marvel. But really everything from the Ellis run on has been good to great.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Help me out with finding new stuff to read.

I''m not a big comic book guy so I haven't really read much of anything from Marvel or DC of all the big names.

I really like Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing but haven't ventured further than that. Are the later runs in the same style?
The Jamie Delano run of Hellblazer is another favourite. Again, haven't ventured further either. Any good runs?
I have all of Hellboy and BPRD and love them.

So things in a similar style to those, I guess, is what I'm looking for.

I have been thinking about getting into Fantastic Four because I've heard good things about Jonathan Hickman's work on the series but it looks pretty daunting with two titles. Are there any big compilations that put everything in order?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd say Sandman would be worth a look at.

Something more modern: This East of West.

There are two big omnibus collections that put that FF run in order. I think there's some big TPB collections that also do so, but am not certain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MrBling posted:

I''m not a big comic book guy so I haven't really read much of anything from Marvel or DC of all the big names.

I really like Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing but haven't ventured further than that. Are the later runs in the same style?
The Jamie Delano run of Hellblazer is another favourite. Again, haven't ventured further either. Any good runs?

I have been thinking about getting into Fantastic Four because I've heard good things about Jonathan Hickman's work on the series but it looks pretty daunting with two titles. Are there any big compilations that put everything in order?

All of the first 300 issues of Hellblazer is a recommendation, I think they were put out in order in trades in the last few years.

There's omnibuses of Hickman's F4/FF that puts it in the right order, but it's mostly straight forward. It's Fantastic Four up until Johnny Storm dies and then it's Future Foundation until Johnny Storm comes back and they switch off where you need to read both for like 12 issues and then they become separate series and if you like one you'll like the other but reading order doesn't matter.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

MrBling posted:

It sounds like you'd like other Vertigo books. You could do a lot worse than picking up the first TPB for any of their series that strikes your fancy, e.g. Sandman, Preacher, 100 Bullets, Transmetroplitan, Fables, Invisibles, Lucifer, Animal Man, Doom Patrol.

Plus Monstress.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

Give Starman by James Robinson a try. It's a superhero book, but from a much less "bust skulls to get poo poo done" perspective.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Give Starman by James Robinson a try. It's a superhero book, but from a much less "bust skulls to get poo poo done" perspective.

I was going to post this too. It’s my favourite comic ever.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hadji murad posted:

I was going to post this too. It’s my favourite comic ever.

Mine as well. It's a real product of the '90s, but I think it has aged extremely well.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MrBling posted:

For more recent stuff, you might want to look at The Wicked + the Divine. Kieron Gillen's new series Die is supposed to be pretty good too, although I haven't read it yet.

Terry Moore's Rachel Rising is a fun horror/supernatural comic too.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Selachian posted:

Terry Moore's Rachel Rising is a fun horror/supernatural comic too.

I'll guess I'll anti-recommend because I read to around issue 30 and remember it massively spinning its wheels with exceptionally idiot characters.

MrBling posted:

There's a lot of Hellblazer with varying quality but if you made it through Delano's run you should be at Ennis' run which is excellent.

Really you've said you like two highly critically acclaimed runs and one very good very Vertigo book so I guess I'd recommend The Sandman? Everyone likes Sandman and it would fit in with what you listed. Then read Lucifer.

It's like you walked into a movie rental place and said "I liked Casablanca and Indiana Jones and The Exorcist, what are good movies?". The list is enormous. I'd basically suggest looking at this list:

https://www.npr.org/2017/07/12/533862948/lets-get-graphic-100-favorite-comics-and-graphic-novels

and picking whatever looks or sounds good (and ask here if you want details or reasons to help narrow it down). I doubt anyone will consider it to be a perfect list but it'll probably be for different reasons (IMO it's missing a lot of classic and more modern Moore, and some other more "challenging" books), and it's a very safe start.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
And if you like Sandman I highly recommend Unwritten and Lucifer, written by Carey and drawn by Gross that carries a lot of similar themes to Sandman.
Also thirding or fourthing Starman which feels like very much a product of it's time but timeless at the same time.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Jack's fashion is what dates Starman the most.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hadji murad posted:

Jack's fashion is what dates Starman the most.

Yeah but he loves old stuff so it sort of fits with the character

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Throwing out a recommendation for Spider-Man: Life Story. It's a pretty great self-contained miniseries.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Thanks for all the recommendations. Starman is looking a bit hard to source here in Europe, but it looks doable.

I guess I should mention that I have read (and liked) the Matt Fraction Hawkeye omnibus, the Fraction Immortal Iron Fist run as well as the two Invincible Iron Man omnibuses by Fraction. So I guess what I'm saying is that I like Matt Fraction, if that helps to inform any future recommendations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MrBling posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations. Starman is looking a bit hard to source here in Europe, but it looks doable.

I guess I should mention that I have read (and liked) the Matt Fraction Hawkeye omnibus, the Fraction Immortal Iron Fist run as well as the two Invincible Iron Man omnibuses by Fraction. So I guess what I'm saying is that I like Matt Fraction, if that helps to inform any future recommendations.

Well, then you should definitely read his Casanova and his Sex Criminals.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

MrBling posted:

Like I said, Starman is my favorite series ever, and I also loved Fraction's Hawkeye, Immortal Iron Fist, and most of his Invincible Iron Man. My other favorite Fraction works are Sex Criminals and FF (the one with Mike Allred drawing Ant-Man, She-Hulk, Medusa, and Miss Thing, which ran concurrently to Fraction's Fantastic Four series). I read the first TPB of his Casanova over a decade ago and couldn't get into it, but you can't win them all.

If you liked Immortal Iron Fist, try getting into Ed Brubaker, who co-wrote it with Fraction. He specializes in crime/noir/espionage/street-level superheroics, and he loves unhappy endings. He's one of my favorite writers in comics. Check out:
Sleeper (and the prequel series Point Blank)
Criminal
Incognito
Fatale (which I didn't enjoy as much after Volume 1)
The Fade-Out (a Hollywood noir set in the '50s)
Velvet (imagine Miss Moneypenny being the real James Bond-esque superspy)
Catwoman (there are three in-print TPBs collecting his excellent run)
Captain America (he introduced Bucky as the Winter Soldier, so his run was extremely influential on the MCU)
Daredevil (his run immediately follows and builds on Brian Michael Bendis' run that precedes it; I greatly preferred Bendis' Daredevil, but Brubaker's DD starts out great, falls a bit, and ends in one of the darkest places I've ever seen a superhero comic go)

If you liked Fraction's Hawkeye, I recently read the two runs that followed it: Jeff Lemire's All-New Hawkeye (starring Clint and Kate) and then Kelly Thompson's Hawkeye (a Kate solo book).

Other recent Marvel series I suspect fellow Fraction Hawkeye fans would enjoy (light and fun street-level books with humor):
Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber's Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Nick Spencer's Astonishing Ant-Man
Charles Soule's She-Hulk (just 12 issues)
Dennis "Hopeless" Hallum's Spider-Woman (gets good with #5; #1-4 are just a Spider-Verse crossover)

I think you'll also like Chew, an Image Comics series by John Layman and Rob Guillory. It's a high-concept book that combines action, crime, horror, comedy, and sci-fi, about people with food-related super powers. It's one of my favorites, and it inspired me to start a food blog.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 30, 2019

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MrBling posted:

SEX CRIMINALS

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
anything in comics to satisfy that weird fiction itch? Like the annihilation series or scp type poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There are actually a ton of indie series about people investigating otherworldly horrors (if that's what you're looking for) Gideon Falls, Nameless (check out the protective runes on the space suits), Injection

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 1, 2019

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just blazed through volumes 1 and 2 Paper Girls in a night, it's very good and a super easy read. Art is on point too. Hopefully volume 3 comes out soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Volume 3 hardcover? I'm pretty sure that will complete the series, and they will have to put out the final trade first.

I wish I had waited for hardcovers.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

I read all of Gideon Falls at work today and really really loved it.

Since it is Spooktober, what are some good horror comics with beautiful art and spooky stuff? I don't really read comics except the few that caught my eye.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
30 Days Of Night. I'm not sure if it's the kind of beautiful you want, but I love it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Through the woods be Emily Carroll is great. Also check out Infidel

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not a big horror guy, but I liked:
Wytches by Scott Snyder and Jock
Redlands is interesting, but I'm only a few issues in
Wormwood is fun!
Pixu has great art
Hellboy, obvs

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Richard Corben’s Lovecraft stuff, Snyder’s Wytches and Severed, Flinch, whatever Tales from the Cypriot/EC stuff you can find

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

anything by Bernie Wrightson

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

All of these look really good. I'm gonna start Infidel asap.

Where do I start with Hellboy?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Eat The Rich posted:

All of these look really good. I'm gonna start Infidel asap.

Where do I start with Hellboy?

http://www.multiversitycomics.com/annotations/hellboy-reading-order-2019/

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Locke and Key by Joe Hill/Gabriel Rodriguez

Animal Man by Jeff Lemire/Travel Foreman

House of Penance by Peter Tomasi/Ian Bertram

Nameless by Grant Morrison/Chris Burnham

and believe it or not, the current Hulk series is a legitimately great horror comic.
The Immortal Hulk by Al Ewing/Joe Bennett

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 6, 2019

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm gonna try to check out all of them. I'm on the last bit of Infidel and it's real good.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
My 4.5 year old is obsessed with the My Little Pony comics. We have all the omnibuses and read them every night. Are there any other good comics out there targeted for the 4-8 audience but not necessarily superhero? Want to foster her enjoyment of stories more complex than Clifford.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Bone.

Also check out the comics of Jason Brubaker. He comes from DreamWorks animation, and his comics have that good-for-all-ages-epic feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Lumberjanes is probably in that age range.

I got my niece Ghosts from the lady who wrote Smile. She seemed to like that.

I've been meaning to get Princeless for them for a while.

I've heard good things about the Mr. Wolf's Class books, but haven't read them.

Edit: I'm probably on toward the upper end of the 4-8 age range...

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 11, 2019