Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Gruden, dare i say it, competent at this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
He really seems to loving hate both backup QBs and I'm surprised he doesn't bring someone else in at this point.

Or Gruden is really learning from Tom Moore:

https://twitter.com/pff_sam/status/197235934272552960?lang=en

If the backup needs to take real snaps, just call it a loving season.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

There is a pretty recent and relevant counterexample to that Tom Moore quote! Though I'm not gonna sit here and say the 2019 Raiders minus Carr are remotely on the same level as the Super Bowl Eagles were with Foles.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Docjowles posted:

There is a pretty recent and relevant counterexample to that Tom Moore quote! Though I'm not gonna sit here and say the 2019 Raiders minus Carr are remotely on the same level as the Super Bowl Eagles were with Foles.

Are we comparing Nick Foles to Peyton Manning now? The better counter-example is all of Brady's backups. You would think Tom Brady going down would doom a team, but Bill just plugs in some random dude from the street and they'll still win 75% of their games.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is Gruden, dare i say it, competent at this?

Let's see him end a season with a winning record before we get carried away here.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Well the comparison would be Wentz, not Foles, as he is the starter. And he’s not Manning but he was on pace for the MVP that year before he died.

Also Foles has Manning and everyone else beat in the only stat that matters :colbert:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Penis size?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

LabyaMynora posted:

Let's see him end a season with a winning record before we get carried away here.

He's entertaining, you gotta give him that.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I still dont feel that Gruden is worthwhile. Again, seems like a cool dude that I'd wanna hang out with but as a coach? Ehhhhhh...

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Compared to Philbin I’d take a bullet for Gruden

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Gruden fuckin owns and the playcalling has vastly improved

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Gruden has never been a bad coach. He got run from Tampa because of his disdain for developing young players. The ideal Gruden guy is in his 30s and the ideal Gruden quarterback is a 35 year old career backup. He deems normal now, but next year when Raiders have Drew Stanton or Kellen Clemens starting it will make sense why his contract is such a joke

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Gruden got run out of Tampa because his good defensive coordinator left mid-season causing a collapse

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

everything I've read points to Gruden being handed a free superbowl via having a ready made playoff team thanks to Tony Dungy and the raiders being too dumb to change signals and poo poo from the previous season when he was their coach so he knew what they were doing

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fat Jesus posted:

everything I've read points to Gruden being handed a free superbowl via having a ready made playoff team thanks to Tony Dungy and the raiders being too dumb to change signals and poo poo from the previous season when he was their coach so he knew what they were doing

This is 100% accurate, still won the Super Bowl tho.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I mean, I still think it's impressive that his formerly coached team made it to the super bowl using his offense despite noted moron Bill Callahan

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Blitz7x posted:

I mean, I still think it's impressive that his formerly coached team made it to the super bowl using his offense despite noted moron Bill Callahan

Funny thing about Callahan (well, one of) is that he’s one of the most respected OL coaches of all time. Peter principle in action

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Living in Tampa, and not being a Bucs fan, I always though Gruden was massively overrated. This was only backed up when I started listening to the local AM station that had a former Bucs player as cohost who constantly mentioned how none of the former players liked Gruden.

But he hooked me with the opening speech about Nightmares and I’ve really changed my opinion on him. He’s definitely the best coach of a Hard Knocks team that I’ve seen (I haven’t seen either Ravens season).

As much as I used to discount his ring, I think it’s tough to give Dungy credit for the Bucs while not giving Gruden credit for his old team being there. I still think the Bucs win if Gruden is coaching the Raiders in that game but it wouldn’t have been the cakewalk it turned in to.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

TheBizzness posted:

He’s definitely the best coach of a Hard Knocks team that I’ve seen.

Damning with faint praise.

Are any of the former Hard Knocks head coaches still head coaches?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LabyaMynora posted:

Are any of the former Hard Knocks head coaches still head coaches?

Bill O'Brien.

You asked this slightly too late to have two time Hard Knocks coach Marvin Lewis be an answer. I think BoB is the only one?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

BOB

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gruden is likeable and seems to build good rapport with his players.

But I don't think he really seems to be all too good at actual gameplans besides poo poo like "we gotta be prepared and physical and tough and punch them in the mouth" and poo poo like that.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

we've seen jack poo poo on the tv show about anything having to do with gameplans or plays

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

hifi posted:

we've seen jack poo poo on the tv show about anything having to do with gameplans or plays

Yeah but you have his entire coaching career and broadcast career to have figured that out.

Unless you think Spider Y 2 Banana is the best play of all time.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Hard Knocks was explicitly banned from the most coaches and qb meetings. There are some brief moments like when Gruden was mulling over when to bring in Glennon/Peterman in the Arizona game but that's about it

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Wasn’t the legend of Gruden that his offense is too complex for young rookies and that’s why he prefers vets?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Nystral posted:

Wasn’t the legend of Gruden that his offense is too complex for young rookies and that’s why he prefers vets?

I don't think it's so much that the offense is complex, it's just expansive and rookies either don't know how much studying is required in the NFL or haven't physically had the time to learn all of it.

Cup half fu here is now that Carr is in his second year with the same OC (he's 4 OCs in 5 years) he can spend less time learning and more time teaching/practicing

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

TheBizzness posted:

He’s definitely the best coach of a Hard Knocks team that I’ve seen (I haven’t seen either Ravens season).

Hard Knocks Rex Ryan is the best.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
That’s true. That season was awesome I forgot about Rex starting a fight between his own players so Gholston might finally wake up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sadly all I remember was Rex on a treadmill.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
That's the last time I watched more than 1 episode of the show, too. Coincidence?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm just happy to have something to watch on Tuesdays.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Anyone else not seeing tonight’s episode on HBO Now?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

John Brown posted:

Anyone else not seeing tonight’s episode on HBO Now?

I haven't watched any episodes immediately on air time this season but in past seasons HBO wasn't a prompt with uploading as their prestige shows.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
It's up now (for me).

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Jon Gruden continues to suck so much and AB continues to be cool as poo poo: The 2019 Oakland Raiders

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Gruden's totally going to talk himself into Peterman over Glennon. And then later in the season he's going to convince himself to put in Peterman over Carr.

Not only is Peterman one of the worst quarterbacks to ever start a game, he also has this very passive, submissive demeanor that's, like, the opposite of what you want for the leader of your offense. It actually says a lot about what Gruden wants in a quarterback.

Also - just lol at Gruden's son ever being a UFC fighter. It reminds me though, doesn't Gruden have another son named Deuce who is all roided out who works under him on the Raiders? Funny how he is never mentioned on Hard Knocks...

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

LabyaMynora posted:

Also - just lol at Gruden's son ever being a UFC fighter. It reminds me though, doesn't Gruden have another son named Deuce who is all roided out who works under him on the Raiders? Funny how he is never mentioned on Hard Knocks...

Saw a pretty amusing thing on a youtube program similar to hard knocks but for the Bucs. Bruce Arians' failson, introduced as Jake Arians, President and CEO of the Arians Family Foundation (I wonder if he got that job on merit :thunk: ?). Him and his girlfriend/wife also had these hideous orange shirts on with graphics on them meant to evoke Arians mustaches and headset and I was struck by how strange that all was

I'd be interested to learn more about Gruden's failson(s?)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m really mad Deuce hasn’t been a storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The Dave posted:

I’m really mad Deuce hasn’t been a storyline.

Gruden has to be hiding him. :tinfoil: