Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Needs a current safety before I can get a plate for it :[

Incidentally, tomorrow's "what did you do to your ride today" update should be "plated it" followed by "rode it" :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Razzled posted:

drat you guys have to get your bikes safety examined? i guess in america they just consider that a self-correcting problem so we don't have to get anything inspected

and it rules

mewse
May 2, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Incidentally, tomorrow's "what did you do to your ride today" update should be "plated it" followed by "rode it" :cool:

Did it pass the safety?

e: ah maybe I should learn to read, looks like you've got it tomorrow. Good luck goon. My ninja 250 just passed in Manitoba while wearing aliexpress brake lines

mewse fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 28, 2019

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Razzled posted:

drat you guys have to get your bikes safety examined? i guess in america they just consider that a self-correcting problem so we don't have to get anything inspected
Depends on the state, in the US. PA has inspections for bikes (but nobody does them).

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

We don't even have emissions testing for bikes in :ca:, which is weird if you know the state. It still doesn't make sense that we're one of the few (only?) states that allows lane splitting.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I will vote anyone into office who makes lane splitting a federal mandate. You legalize lane splitting AND cancel daylight savings? Buddy, I’ll take a bullet for you.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
NY has inspections. You get your plate first and then get inspected. It's supposed to cover brakes, tires, horn, lights, etc, and it's supposed to be a flat $6. I take my bike to a guy who is kind of a dick and charges $10. But he passed a bike I hadn't noticed had a cracked side case because somebody dropped it on a rock and was slowly leaking oil so...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Martytoof posted:

I replaced most of the wiring harness because wires were literally held together with hot glue

:psypop:

Jesus wept, who owned that poor bike before you, Mengele?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Elviscat posted:

:psypop:

Jesus wept, who owned that poor bike before you, Mengele?

All signs point to "kid who loved aftermarket garbage whose concept of splicing wires was 'well they're touching so it's fine'"

In other news:

Martytoof posted:

My dumb ugly baby passed! I got home with the plates a little late so final tally is:

Safetied it, plated it, rode it

Mechanic did mention the backfiring but didn't give me any specific suggestions, but also noted the same thing I noticed -- that there's a ticking in the engine that could be CCT or valves. I'll have a valve clearance inspection done "soon" and I will try resetting the CCT one of these weekends, and when I'm bored this winter I'll probably repaint the tank BUUUT right now I am just effin excited to get out and follow this advice:

Razzled posted:

stop fuckin with the bike just ride it, if it feels off or does weird things THEN fix it

!!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I know you were bitching about not being satisfied with the paintjob (did you rattlecan it? Can't remember) but silver is a good look! Your bike looks rad

Now go riiiiiide

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

Mechanic did mention the backfiring but didn't give me any specific suggestions, but also noted the same thing I noticed -- that there's a ticking in the engine that could be CCT or valves. I'll have a valve clearance inspection done "soon" and I will try resetting the CCT one of these weekends

Do the valves yourself, they aren't that hard after the first time. Those engines tick like a typewriter when the valves are well in spec, fyi. That's almost certainly what you hear.

Backfiring is because you have a huge slipon can.

Silver looks awesome. Freakin go ride it!!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the awesome response all!

Renaissance Robot posted:

I know you were bitching about not being satisfied with the paintjob (did you rattlecan it? Can't remember) but silver is a good look! Your bike looks rad

Now go riiiiiide

Rattlecan'd it and clear'd it with crappy 1x clear because I wasted the expensive 2K in a failed experiment. Decided to do zero more paint work and focus on getting on the bike instead :)

I'm fixing up my old fairings and I'll rattlecan them as well to have a spare set because -- well, you gotta be doing SOMETHING when you're not riding :haw:

Coydog posted:

Do the valves yourself, they aren't that hard after the first time. Those engines tick like a typewriter when the valves are well in spec, fyi. That's almost certainly what you hear.

Backfiring is because you have a huge slipon can.

Silver looks awesome. Freakin go ride it!!!

Interesting. I'm certainly in no danger of doing the valves before I store it for the winter, but at that point my garage is pretty cramped and I imagine it'll be a real pain in the rear end to do. Maybe a spring job, but I'm worried about botching something and then not having a bike until I can doo-dad some new parts. Anyway, I'll start with the CCT when I get a chance since that seems dead simple to reset.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 30, 2019

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fifty Three posted:

Depends on the state, in the US. PA has inspections for bikes (but nobody does them).

I live in PA and I actually had some dude freak out and not buy my bike because it wasn’t inspected. I was like ummmmmmm

Content:

Yoshimura Alpha slip-on for the Duke

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Are the PA inspections not mandatory for registration?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

MomJeans420 posted:

Are the PA inspections not mandatory for registration?

Nope. You pay your registration fee of $20/year and the inspection is a totally separate process. The stickers are put on the forks generally tucked up under the body work so it’s not like it’s visible at speed.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I live in PA and I actually had some dude freak out and not buy my bike because it wasn’t inspected. I was like ummmmmmm
Hah, well, I can't say I really blame them. I told the PO of my bike that the tires wouldn't pass inspection and he knocked it down. :v:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Fifty Three posted:

Hah, well, I can't say I really blame them. I told the PO of my bike that the tires wouldn't pass inspection and he knocked it down. :v:

He didn’t even come look at it because it wasn’t inspected. Brand new Pirellis on it, fresh fork rebuild, new brakes etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Next used bike I buy isn't getting a sniff without a safety certificate in hand. Just my experience with this bike souring things :q:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Congrats on the safety Marty. Ride to Wpg and we can be a Ninja 250 posse :bustem:

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Inspected (mandatory in tx), titled, registered & plated

Getting rid of the ugly rear blinker/plate holder hugger thing this weekend. Assuming the flasher relay comes in.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

Not what I did, but the shop tuned the carbs on the '78 GS750.
Also turns out I need a new sprocket and chain (the chain wasn't too surprising). Hopefully be done next week.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

CheddarGoblin posted:

Inspected (mandatory in tx), titled, registered & plated

Getting rid of the ugly rear blinker/plate holder hugger thing this weekend. Assuming the flasher relay comes in.

The Vitpilen looks so loving good.

Can any KTM dealer work on Huskys?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yoshimura Alpha slip-on for the Duke

Two unbelievably good looking sides of the same coin. Every time I look at a picture of them I think they are the 690/701 size. Need more pics of both in here on the regs, please.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Coydog posted:

Two unbelievably good looking sides of the same coin. Every time I look at a picture of them I think they are the 690/701 size. Need more pics of both in here on the regs, please.

From when I first got it:

With the rest of the crew:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What’s the green bike? I LOVE the aesthetic

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Faired Buell XB9? Firebolt?

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 31, 2019

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
XB9R that's been plasti-dipped

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Martytoof posted:

What’s the green bike? I LOVE the aesthetic

It’s actually a dark gold with black frame and wheels. Firebolt XB9R

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I moved the gauge on my XSR to ‘the right place’ using a JvB bracket.

I also tried installing a tail tidy, but it’s bent. Hoping for a replacement soon as my plate light is gone since I backed the bike up too far the other week.

And I ran a SAE plug through the handlebar wiring so I can connect a USB socket.

Next up: heated grips, an windscreen, and bark busters in prep for winter.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't anything about these bikes (why is the front rotor so large yet so small?), but I really like this color scheme.

Is there no rear brake?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I used to hate the look but I’ve since come around. Other than the weird beady lights I think this is sexy as hell.

What did I do today? I fuckin RODE it! The 250 is noisy as poo poo and there’s no way that the backfiring is supposed to be that pronounced, there HAS to be something else going on. Literally every time I roll off the throttle it’s like there’s a 21 cannon salute to my deceleration. I sugru’d my motorrads mount to my helmet today so maybe I can get some video of it tomorrow if the sugru cures enough to hold my GoPro.

Anyway I’m fuckin HYPE, this was so much fun.

What do I plan to do in the next week?
- order a ram phone mount
- drill a hole in the cluster cowling to route my 5v USB charger. Have all the electrics done under the hood, just forgot to actually mount the charger :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 31, 2019

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't anything about these bikes (why is the front rotor so large yet so small?), but I really like this color scheme.

Is there no rear brake?

Erik Buell liked to fix engineering questions no one was asking.

ZTL braking system up front.
The final drive in this side of the foto is about the same size as the rear brake.

The fuel is in the frame spars you can see, and the oil on some models was also in another section of the frame.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Skreemer posted:

Erik Buell liked to fix engineering questions no one was asking.

ZTL braking system up front.
The final drive in this side of the foto is about the same size as the rear brake.

The fuel is in the frame spars you can see, and the oil on some models was also in another section of the frame.

The fuel is in the black frame under the “tank” which is actually the airbox, and the oil is in the swingarm.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also the engine exhausts directly onto the rear wheel to keep the tire nice and warm and sticky.

e: before we get into another big discussion about ZTL brakes: they are designed like that because (in Erik's mind) the larger surface area of the rotor means it can absorb more heat, which means that you can use a single rotor to produce the same braking force as a smaller dual setup, which reduces unsprung weight. Mounting the caliper inside out also makes a radial setup marginally simpler.

In reality, because the rotor is much larger and heavier than usual, the whole thing approaches the weight of a conventional dual setup and has basically the same performance, and there are plenty of ways to build a radial setup that isn't inside out. The simplified maintenance you get is offset by having to buy special parts because your brakes are inside out. Lots of manufacturers have tried moving the fuel and oil around and use centrally-located exhausts, but Buell is still the only company that uses those brakes.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 1, 2019

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Got my intake adapter made, eBay FCR cleaned and mounted, and then took a heat gun to my tank until it all fit. Pilot circuit is perfect, easiest bike I've ever kickstarted. Gotta check the AP squirt timing tomorrow.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Also the engine exhausts directly onto the rear wheel to keep the tire nice and warm and sticky.

e: before we get into another big discussion about ZTL brakes: they are designed like that because (in Erik's mind) the larger surface area of the rotor means it can absorb more heat, which means that you can use a single rotor to produce the same braking force as a smaller dual setup, which reduces unsprung weight. Mounting the caliper inside out also makes a radial setup marginally simpler.

In reality, because the rotor is much larger and heavier than usual, the whole thing approaches the weight of a conventional dual setup and has basically the same performance, and there are plenty of ways to build a radial setup that isn't inside out. The simplified maintenance you get is offset by having to buy special parts because your brakes are inside out. Lots of manufacturers have tried moving the fuel and oil around and use centrally-located exhausts, but Buell is still the only company that uses those brakes.

ZTL brakes fit in the same category as telelever forks and goofy poo poo like that. They may be better in some respect, but as an overall package they are at best “as good” as the normal thing that everyone else uses, and even then they often aren’t

Just look at the top levels of motorcycle racing, they use conventional twin discs and USD forks. If ZTL and telelever provided even a fraction of a second of improvement, they would use them

Yerok posted:

Got my intake adapter made, eBay FCR cleaned and mounted, and then took a heat gun to my tank until it all fit. Pilot circuit is perfect, easiest bike I've ever kickstarted. Gotta check the AP squirt timing tomorrow.

Nice! The FCR is gods own carburetor

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

ZTL brakes fit in the same category as telelever forks and goofy poo poo like that. They may be better in some respect, but as an overall package they are at best “as good” as the normal thing that everyone else uses, and even then they often aren’t

Just look at the top levels of motorcycle racing, they use conventional twin discs and USD forks. If ZTL and telelever provided even a fraction of a second of improvement, they would use them

Actually if they were significantly better they'd most likely be banned after one season. :rice:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Martytoof posted:

The 250 is noisy as poo poo and there’s no way that the backfiring is supposed to be that pronounced, there HAS to be something else going on. Literally every time I roll off the throttle it’s like there’s a 21 cannon salute to my deceleration.

I'm telling you, this is normal. The DR650 does it too if you have a stupid FMF can on it or whatever. The ex250 is really obnoxious with a can, because you sit at high rpm all the time, and you are going to get crazy decel pops. Maybe look for a DB killer plug for your exhaust or, better, put a stock exhaust back on it.

Either way, make sure you wear earplugs when you ride.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lol that’s so bad... ok, well I guess I’ll just live with it. Next bike I definitely want quieter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

GP at least requires forks up front after the Cambrian Explosion of weird front ends in the 80s and 90s. Not sure about WSB/WSS, I assume that if anyone were willing to homologate it it would be legit, but who's going to buy a sports bike with a funny front end nowadays?

Also didn't Buell have an abortive WSB run - with conventional discs?