Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

See also: Gunpowder.

If you mix up grams and grains on that one you'll need the laudnum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Mustached Demon posted:

At my previous job, at a wood mill, a dude lost half his fingers+thumb in a planarizer. He turned it off, locked it out, but did not let the spinning wheel of death that planarizes the wood stop. Hand went in, a lot didn't come out.

Planarizer? Did you work in the office at that job? Planarizing?

I hope you weren't workerizing with wood at that job. Sefetemetazy is criticomessasary.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

shame on an IGA posted:

Found the full vid on youtube, lower right leg is definitely bent in the straight places.
The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA: definitely bent in the straight places

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Yawgmoth posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Main > General Bullshit > OSHA: definitely bent in the straight places

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Another thing that lusts for death is swimming pools

quote:

A young girl is now in a coma after she was sucked into a swimming pool pump during a trip to Turkey.

https://www.heart.co.uk/lifestyle/girl-12-coma-hand-stuck-swimming-pool-pump-holiday/

The article's a bit old because she died today :smith:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Does OSHA cover land speed record attempts?

https://twitter.com/RoadandTrack/status/1166720706199076864

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

drat that's a bummer.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Kind of a tangent but why does she need an oxygen mask?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Kind of a tangent but why does she need an oxygen mask?

Rocket and jet-propelled land speed record cars are essentially ground-based aircraft. You get oxygen in your regular car from the atmosphere entering the passenger compartment, which isn't very comfortable when you're traveling 700+ MPH, so I'm guessing the cockpit is sealed off from the outside and you just breathe through the mask.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Larch posted:

Planarizer? Did you work in the office at that job? Planarizing?

I hope you weren't workerizing with wood at that job. Sefetemetazy is criticomessasary.

https://www.adeon.nl/partners/46-en/brushing-equipment/131-planarizer-model-650

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Rocket and jet-propelled land speed record cars are essentially ground-based aircraft. You get oxygen in your regular car from the atmosphere entering the passenger compartment, which isn't very comfortable when you're traveling 700+ MPH, so I'm guessing the cockpit is sealed off from the outside and you just breathe through the mask.

Hers especially :stare:

quote:

Her goal was to pilot the car (built from a decommissioned fighter jet) beyond 512 mph, the record for Fastest Woman on Earth, set in 1976 by Kitty O'Neil.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember a pilot of I think a KC-135 whose canopy broke off in flight. Even going just above stall speed (about 200+ MPH), he compared breathing to “trying to drink from a firehose.”

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Do they actually keep separate records for "Fastest Man" and "Fastest Woman".

Seems kinda antiquated for anything outside of sports.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
theres mens and womens chess.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yawgmoth posted:

We’ve had the current title for 8 months. Time for a change?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So with the impending doom falling upon central FL in the form of wind, water, and enraged skies, I'm reminded of a transformer catching fire during hurricane Florence last year just outside of a friend's house. She said that there were green plasma balls being thrown every which way, fire, and the smell of wood smoke during the torrential downpours in Wilmington (just inland from where Florence made landfall). So I went to look for other videos of transformers doing the same, and came back with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8EQPx-ptKk

Electricity follows the path of least resistance, don't become that path.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

violent sex idiot posted:

theres mens and womens chess.

I’d love to see that get defended.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

Bunch of prudes I tell ya!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember a pilot of I think a KC-135 whose canopy broke off in flight. Even going just above stall speed (about 200+ MPH), he compared breathing to “trying to drink from a firehose.”

Another fun one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

An improperly secured window panel popped off and the pilot was sucked into the opening. The flight crew physically held him in place while the copilot landed, he recovered and returned to work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chomp8645 posted:

Do they actually keep separate records for "Fastest Man" and "Fastest Woman".

Seems kinda antiquated for anything outside of sports.

It's just so more people can have records. There will probably be a fastest transman and fastest transwoman so everyone can fit themselves into a special category and be the fastest one of those. Like being the first transphobic, wheelchair bound, Alaskan, Somali pirate to climb Everest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Probably (hopefully?) done to try to get more women into the game. Or to get schools some sweet Title IX credit.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Aaah makes sense now. I work in a sawmill that cuts mostly softwood structural lumber. After the wood is cut and dried it goes through a machine called a planer which planes everything down to its final rectangular width and thickness

I am guessing you guys did hardwood stuff? Or finished wood for like trim or furniture?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

CommieGIR posted:

You do not gently caress with lathes. Its the one tool that really needs multiple emergency shutoff buttons.

Foot operated deadman switch.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

My Spirit Otter posted:

deadman operated foot switch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The hope is that the deadman falls off the switch. If he continues to operate it, then there's a problem.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I'm sure there's been at least one case where a leg remains on the switch, even though the rest of the body is elsewhere.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

chitoryu12 posted:

It's pretty simple. To take USCF as an example (FIDE I think is similar for worldwide):

Here are the top 100 Overall players for August 2019:
http://www.uschess.org/component/option,com_top_players/Itemid,371?op=list&month=1908&f=usa&l=R:Top%20Overall.&h=Overall

Here are the top 100 Women:
http://www.uschess.org/component/option,com_top_players/Itemid,371?op=list&month=1908&f=usa&l=R:Top%20Women.&h=Top%20Women

Only 2 of the top 100 Women are in the top 100 Overall. Put another way, the top 100 Overall is 98% male. I strongly suspect that reflects more of the talent pool / player base than anything else (which is only 14.7% female), and won't change unless there's a deeper female player roster.

So unless you want all US chess publicity to be 100% male, which I'm sure would not help get more women into the game, you need separate rankings.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a whole lot of people trying to explain with :biotruths: but it seems that's simply that, until very recently, not many people were training their young daughters to play chess. It's more popular now, but still not by a lot.

Because the field of women's players is narrower, they have their own divisions and title qualifications, which makes perfect sense. Women can and do enter the men's tournaments.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

There's a whole lot of people trying to explain with :biotruths: but it seems that's simply that, until very recently, not many people were training their young daughters to play chess. It's more popular now, but still not by a lot.

Because the field of women's players is narrower, they have their own divisions and title qualifications, which makes perfect sense. Women can and do enter the men's tournaments.

Also, I don't know if it applies to chess specifically, but it's not uncommon for a woman entering a male dominated competitive field to receive a lot of harassment and abuse.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Cojawfee posted:

It's just so more people can have records. There will probably be a fastest transman and fastest transwoman so everyone can fit themselves into a special category and be the fastest one of those. Like being the first transphobic, wheelchair bound, Alaskan, Somali pirate to climb Everest.

this post makes me uncomfortable

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

aardvaard posted:

this post makes me uncomfortable

It’s okay, they don’t care if you’re white or black or green or purple!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Jazz hands!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Does it still count if you're out of the car when you break the speed record?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

ponzicar posted:

I'm sure there's been at least one case where a leg remains on the switch, even though the rest of the body is elsewhere.

Boomlifts have them, but the main cause of death with those is crush-related. Usually with lathes, its rotating away from you, pulling you off of the switch.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

My Spirit Otter posted:

Boomlifts have them, but the main cause of death with those is crush-related. Usually with lathes, its rotating away from you, pulling you off of the switch.

Huh? In general, I believe that most lathes can turn either direction, but I think that you want the chuck and the work spinning toward you so the tool bit cuts efficiently into the work. Also, I think that some metal lathe chucks thread on in a particular direction, so you want them spinning so as to keep them tight (usually spinning counter clockwise to tighten a standard threaded part) instead of loosening the chuck.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Please tell me it read “headed to the hospital” in some form or another.

"hair today? Gone tomorrow."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Wp8I4fxCk

The problem here is that the car didn’t have a high‐vis paintjob.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ulmont posted:

So unless you want all US chess publicity to be 100% male, which I'm sure would not help get more women into the game, you need separate rankings.

Doesn't explain Academy Awards being given for Best Actor and Best Actress. "So more people can get awards" is sometimes the case.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Yawgmoth posted:

Any objection to me emailing the mods and asking for a title change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Willfrey posted:

I used to work at a machine shop.

Lathes are widowmakers. Have seen pics of fatalities in the biz, not a pretty way to go.

I manage a small machine shop(soon to own it) and my oldest son works for me.

I showed him this gif the day before he started and told him that all of the machines will eat him if he doesn't show them respect.