Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait no the huge guy is the sarjeant nm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Love our normal country right about now.

Also having a normal one myself :)

It's alllllll fine.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I'm off to the post office before it's beheaded by centrists for royalist sympathies

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Buzzfeed News actually had a good thing about the Queen’s Speech for Americans a few years ago: https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/hannahjewell/you-can-be-yeoman-of-my-guard-any-time

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Future perfect continuous

I don't know, the 'continuous' surely means it's a thing that is going on up to a point in the future - like 'I shall have been bedridden for a fortnight tomorrow'. That doesn't really seem to apply here, I think it's just a plain future perfect.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Going to do it tomorrow apparently.

Also it's not a coup, don't call it a coup, it's our lovely state structure being lovely and it will continue to be lovely until there's major reform beyond just kicking the Tories out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Wait no the huge guy is the sarjeant nm.

I hope that guy gets to stick around after parliament collapses. He looks like he drags people into his lair and eats them with gold plated cutlery.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"The last stranger (non-Member) to be brought before the Bar of the House by the Serjeant at Arms and admonished by the Speaker was Sunday Express newspaper editor John Junor on 24 January 1957, for an article published in the newspaper that cast doubt on the honour and integrity of Members over their constituency petrol allowances. Junor apologised and no further action was taken."

Further action, one assumes, would constitute bashing his head in with the queen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Necrothatcher posted:

Man, that inevitable VONC is going to be loving nail-biting.

the fpbe line seems to be that it will inevitably pass which i think is another of their confusing flights of fancy

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The queen is under arrest for murder *snaps handcuffs around the mace*

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
If someone took out the queen (person) with the queen (stick), would that count as an assisted suicide?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuc(k

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://mobile.twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1166763427269959681
Just a coincidence after all, no need to question this or look into it any further.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone had any communications from the Labour party yet? I kinda feel like I should be doing something but I'm not sure what.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hentai Jihadist posted:

the fpbe line seems to be that it will inevitably pass which i think is another of their confusing flights of fancy

This does mean that any Remainer who votes against it is likely to get fuckin' murdered, though. Small silver lining if some of those invertebrates have a bit of actual mortal terror to motivate them - not like we can rely on their strongly held principles instead.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My mum's proper disappointed at 'Er Maj for not stopping this and me and my step-dad are just like "What did you think was gonna happen :thunk:"

Also big lols, big big lols, at everything today

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

Has anyone had any communications from the Labour party yet? I kinda feel like I should be doing something but I'm not sure what.

Amusingly, "sign this petition"

quote:

Boris Johnson wants to close down Parliament and close down debate. He's trying to force through his No Deal Brexit plan.

If he gets away with it, the impact on our country and our democracy will be devastating. That's why Jeremy Corbyn met with the leaders of all the opposition parties who oppose a No Deal Brexit to agree a plan to stop him.

But we need more than politicians – we need the voices of the people of this country to be heard. We will not stand by and allow the Prime Minister to force through a No Deal Brexit that will be bad for jobs and bad for the economy.

Make your voice heard. Sign our petition demanding that the Prime Minister doesn't close down Parliament, and close down democratic debate.
Be part of the people's voice. Sign here!
Share the petition on Twitter
Share the petition on Facebook
Share the petition on WhatsApp

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Amusingly, "sign this petition"

Oh yeah, just checked now and saw that. I was hoping for a little more tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The leader's office is probably a little busy at the moment :v:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Got an email a few mins ago that refers to today's events but is otherwise "sign the petition and give money" which is a bit less than "report to your CLP to be given some hand grenades and a rifle" but there's always hope-

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lol, Owen Jones on the money

quote:

"Consider this thought experiment. Jeremy Corbyn is prime minister, despite never winning a general election. His party lacks a majority, and is dependent on the support of the Scottish National party, support he secured in exchange for bunging them a legal bribe. He wishes to impose a radical proposal which, by any objective measure, will result in a self-inflicted economic shock, damage the country’s social fabric and leave us internationally weakened. Knowing that parliament opposes such a measure, he simply suspends it. Imagine the hysteria, the cries of Venezuela, of communist tyranny. Where Johnson’s assault on democracy is normalised, if a Prime Minister Corbyn attempted it, the forces of the establishment would intervene to thwart it, whatever it took.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/28/boris-johnson-trashing-democracy-blood-ancestors-brexit

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Pistol_Pete posted:

Drive around shouting COCK PISS TORIES out the window imo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Are we doing a civil war yet?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

Wait I thought Black Rod was the huge guy or was the little old lady covering for him that day?

Isn't it like the Green Lantern? Whoever is wearing the ring is the Green Lantern.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Yeah at this point I think we're a bit past petitions even if they did sometimes work, we're at general strike. At minimum.

It's telling that Tories love to paint themselves as sensible guardians of democracy who won't upset the apple cart, and are now throwing the apple cart off a cliff by stopping Parliament doing its job at the most critical juncture in national politics in decades.

Can you imagine how we'd be acting if someone in Latin America shut down their Parliament to get his way lmao e; or yeah, if Corbyn was the one doing it lmao lmao

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

WhatEvil posted:

Isn't it like the Green Lantern? Whoever is wearing the ring is the Green Lantern.

There are multiple Green Lanterns and the rings choose who becomes one. :colbert:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's not like the US doesn't keep turning off its government whenever the big baby in charge doesn't get what he wants lol.

Functionally the reason this keeps happening is because a majority of people in government want it to happen. Because they are not prepared to do anything to stop it happening. It is indicative of a systemic failure of representative government, I think, to represent the interests of the majority of people and to maintain the political engagement of the majority of people to perform the necessary checks on the system itself.

It indicates that representative democracy produces undemocratic outcomes quite regularly, and whether you think that's by design or not I think it's a very silly idea to suggest that what we need is more tweaks to make the perfect system capable of producing good outcomes without involving any smelly people.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 28, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The thing I keep thinking about is whoever said that the British political system is held together by gentlemens agreements, and how it's all falling apart because of loopholes that we thought nobody would be shameless enough to actually use.

On the last Chapo they said something about the Epstein case where it feels like a glimpse of something bigger. Like things are moving unseen behind the scenes, and we will never get the full picture but we get these glimpses and it kind of drives you a little crazy.

Someone else said in the last thread that it feels like the billionaire class realising the writing is on the wall, like all of this is their desperate last gasp at maintaining a dying system.

I worry that the truth is somewhere between these points. That brexit is not so much a sinister plot but the sum of human greed and stupidity. Steve Bannon makes himself rich saying the unsayable and thinking the unthinkable for attention. He gets the support and attention of the super rich, who fund his bullshit, which people lap up because they don't care about the poor and disabled if it'll mean a comfortable life for them. And we all act against our interests and the beast keeps moving.

In a way it would almost be better if there was an evil mastermind behind all of this but it's not. It's greed. Stupid, human greed.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Opening and closing parliament is basically a tradition and doesn't really need to happen as evidenced by the fact that May just didn't do it. Although it does happen during an election and passing a queen's speech is basically the mechanism by which a government is cemented as it demonstrates their majority.

I mean we've tied up certain constitutional devices to parliamentary sessions - like pushing poo poo through without approval from the Lord's.

The only time I can think of where prorogation was utilized as a weapon in the political toolbox before BoJos move was in 48 when it was used to force a brief session in order to meet the requirements needed to push through the Parliament Act to limit the Lords power to delay legislation.

Or course there was that time Harper used it in Canada to avoid a VONC which is probably up there with this

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Someone else said in the last thread that it feels like the billionaire class realising the writing is on the wall, like all of this is their desperate last gasp at maintaining a dying system.

Yeah it is this sort of, but the way you've written it suggests that there will come a point where they will actually accept this and release their grasp. They won't, they'll literally hire private armies so that they can stay holed up in their luxury compounds as the world collapses around them, before they will give up an ounce of power and influence. They've already started.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/12/hurricanekatrina.usa
https://www.businessinsider.com/billionaire-tycoon-igor-kolomoisky-on-a-dangerous-collision-course-with-ukraine-government-2015-3

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The thing I keep thinking about is whoever said that the British political system is held together by gentlemens agreements, and how it's all falling apart because of loopholes that we thought nobody would be shameless enough to actually use.

On the last Chapo they said something about the Epstein case where it feels like a glimpse of something bigger. Like things are moving unseen behind the scenes, and we will never get the full picture but we get these glimpses and it kind of drives you a little crazy.

I worry that the truth is somewhere between these points. That brexit is not so much a sinister plot but the sum of human greed and stupidity. Steve Bannon makes himself rich saying the unsayable and thinking the unthinkable for attention. He gets the support and attention of the super rich, who fund his bullshit, which people lap up because they don't care about the poor and disabled if it'll mean a comfortable life for them. And we all act against our interests and the beast keeps moving.

In a way it would almost be better if there was an evil mastermind behind all of this but it's not. It's greed. Stupid, human greed.

You're almost right, your error, I would suggest, is ascribing this to either essential, immutable human nature or the personal moral failing and malice of individuals. Those two ideas are the prime protectors of the status quo because one suggests the system is fine and it's just individual people who are wrong, and the other suggests the system is bad but it's built into us, you can't change it, so don't try.

No, it's not a conspiracy, at least not in the sense of MJ12 sitting round a big evil table rubbing their hands and going "hmm yes we must conspire to do extra evil this year". It's not a conspriacy of a handful of people, not the whole thing. Sure there are conspiracies of handfuls of people, but we call those "corporate structures" not the elders of zion or whatever. The conspiracy is that we live in an environment that creates pressure towards this kind of action. The billionaires act like they do because they, too, were born into an environment where they were offered unfathomable power and luxury, complete insulation from the rest of the world, or, theoretically, they could work against that. But why would they? They have from the moment of their birth, been surrounded by people and institutions designed to push those questions away, designed by their predecessors to assuage any niggling guilt they might feel about their positions, and their children were born into those systems and they work very well, which is why none of them ever turn coat.

Capitalism itself has inertia, it shapes the minds of people within it and those people in turn shape the system, it's a feedback loop and almost exactly as unthinking as any constructive interference pattern, but like any resonance, it is not immutable, it isn't some unavoidable fact of the universe, it's a specific effect of a specific environment. It is a conspiracy absent conspirators.

Capitalism is self reinforcing until the point where it collapses, it is, in the long run, a destructive behaviour and eventually its own feedback will shatter its own structure. The fear, unfortunately, is whether any of us will live to see it, and how many deaths it'll cause before we get there. But I really don't encourage the idea that it's "just human nature" because you have never seen human nature unshaped by the dominating social force of our time. None of us have. Even history is hard to draw that knowledge from because our very understanding of it is twisted through the lens of the society we've been shaped by.

You don't know, you can't know what human nature is by looking at society, because all you will see is the echoes of that society, not the innate tendencies of all humans in all times and all places.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

kustomkarkommando posted:

Or course there was that time Harper used it in Canada to avoid a VONC which is probably up there with this

That's basically what it is. The governor general had no real room to deny Harper his prorogation, and the rules aren't substantially different here.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Petitions and protests are meaningless when you've got megalomaniacs in charge.
The only way you get their attention is by doing things that affect them or their political/financial backers personally.

Riots, basically, in nice parts of the country. Johnson won't give the slightest poo poo if Tottenham burns to the ground again, but move West a little and start burning Muswell Hill, and suddenly a lot of journalists start asking the government awkward questions like "How are you going to stop this with the smallest police force and army in modern history?"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
lol that the fbpes will leap at a return to a non completely powerless figurehead monarchy but would choose no deal Brexit over a couple of weeks of Corbyn as pm

0 surprise but lots of lol

(lots of lots of love)

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
it's really weird to me that people who have moved to Canada are saying they're glad they have when Canada is just a really poo poo version of the US and you're only prolonging your suffering by dying slightly later than the rest of us

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

kingturnip posted:

... "How are you going to stop this with the smallest police force and army in modern history?"

With a deputised far-right militia, obviously.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

kingturnip posted:

Petitions and protests are meaningless when you've got megalomaniacs in charge.
The only way you get their attention is by doing things that affect them or their political/financial backers personally.

Riots, basically, in nice parts of the country. Johnson won't give the slightest poo poo if Tottenham burns to the ground again, but move West a little and start burning Muswell Hill, and suddenly a lot of journalists start asking the government awkward questions like "How are you going to stop this with the smallest police force and army in modern history?"

Liberals will not grasp that the rules they think hold everything together only apply when those in power want them to.

But yeah, burn loving Mayfair. Burn Kensington. Burn Cockfosters and all the loving cosy little Tory enclaves and poo poo might start to change. J'approve.

seizure later posted:

it's really weird to me that people who have moved to Canada are saying they're glad they have when Canada is just a really poo poo version of the US and you're only prolonging your suffering by dying slightly later than the rest of us

Yeah I agree. I've moved to Canada but I'm not really any happier about the way things are looking like they're going here. We've got federal elections coming up which the Conservatives will probably win, for one thing.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Desiderata posted:

With a deputised far-right militia, obviously.

Yeah his response will be to mount flamethrowers on riot vans rather than water cannons.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The thread will be pleased to learn that my kipper mum is extremely pleased about this turn of events, she can't wait for no deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Boris is bluffing, the VONC should be submitted on 31st October to be debated on the first after he's bottled it overnight and had to revoke article 50.