Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

The prequels were way too boring to achieve transformers level stupidity. Only JJ is fit to deliver us to a final brain death

edit: With an assist from the screenwriter of batman v superman and justice league, just to seal the deal

BvS rules though, and it's the only part that gives me hope that ep9 won't be a shitshow of lunar proportions (except it will because of JJ and meddling disney suits)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
kylo is the only guy doing the right thing. maybe it didn't occur to you but the new republic doesn't deserve to exist.

The people have spoken, they want Another Empire

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Also, rule of 2 sith died out with Sidious and Vader. So Snoke can just be starting a new line of dark side force uses who call themselves Sith

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

I really wonder what movie people watch sometimes. Kylo Ren literally worships on front of Sith relics, refers to himself as Sith. Etc etc. snoke even uses lightening. The movie is telling you these dudes are Sith. They act 100% like Sith.

Actually they are not Sith Lords, they are Ren Knights. It's completely different. Much like this desert planet which is completely different from Tatooine, spherical planet-killer weapon completely different from a Death Star, etc. etc.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Mooey Cow posted:

Actually they are not Sith Lords, they are Ren Knights. It's completely different. Much like this desert planet which is completely different from Tatooine, spherical planet-killer weapon completely different from a Death Star, etc. etc.

If they are confused we will give it a mohawk and a wheelchair!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If they are confused we will give it a mohawk and a wheelchair!

I appreciate this more than you can imagine

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
On a meta-level I can appreciate that Disney views what Kylo Ren proposes to Rey: an ending of hostilities, an end to the Jedi and Sith...an end to the Star Wars, is about the worst thing Disney can imagine. It needs no more elaboration. These Star Wars Must Continue.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 28, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
drat shame the made-up space movies can only have one single type of antagonists.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

it is really strange that they inserted that meta "kill the past" stuff that's clearly a commentary on the direction of the franchise more so than the plotline

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If they had slipped a line in about how the New Republic was some highly limited "Articles of Confederation" type government that barely had any authority or resources it would have explained so much.

But if that were the case, then the military should have been heavily decentralized. Prior to the Clone Wars and Palpatine, there was seemingly no “Army of the Republic” at all, the systems seemingly just all had their own armies and fleets. Even supposedly peaceful Naboo had a few fighters laying around.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

it is really strange that they inserted that meta "kill the past" stuff that's clearly a commentary on the direction of the franchise more so than the plotline

It makes some business sense since they want to get out of characters and settings that they need to pay George residuals for.

General Dog posted:

But if that were the case, then the military should have been heavily decentralized. Prior to the Clone Wars and Palpatine, there was seemingly no “Army of the Republic” at all, the systems seemingly just all had their own armies and fleets. Even supposedly peaceful Naboo had a few fighters laying around.

It still doesn't make sense. Who's doing trade route patrols and piracy suppression if the entire fleet is sitting docked at the capitol.

I mean their equivalent to the coast guard might only have anti-fighter and small cruisers level equipment since that's what they'd tend to deal with.

But they should have tons of that stuff all over the republic. Either that or the member planets handle it.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 28, 2019

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

It makes some business sense since they want to get out of characters and settings that they need to pay George residuals for.

this is definitely not how the licensing works for star wars

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

kidkissinger posted:

Disney is allergic to all the old aliens, allergic to old settings and so on. it makes sense.
I Think its just pride though

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

it makes total business sense it's just not subtle at all. like, Ren all but turned to the camera and said this to the audience

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

I read somewhere that George gets something from these movies and Disney didn't buy out all future revenues from the use of his original IP.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Nitrousoxide posted:

It still doesn't make sense.

And it never will because Star Wars fans have spent more time thinking critically about the plot of these movies in the last two hours than anyone at Disney ever has.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Nitrousoxide posted:

I read somewhere that George gets something from these movies and Disney didn't buy out all future revenues from the use of his original IP.

It's almost certainly not true

The actual issue is that if they're going to keep telling the same stories, they have to at least tell them in different settings. Unfortunately if you want to do location shooting, there are only so many biomes you can choose from.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 28, 2019

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
the residuals thing would explain a lot: jakku, hosnian prime, etc. etc.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

That’s the first I’ve ever heard that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

euphronius posted:

That’s the first I’ve ever heard that.

Yeah, looking into it, looks like that the article I read was wrong and he sold his royalties along with the company.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I think it's more about oversensitivity to prequel backlash. "This will begin to make things right."

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YzDEQuN6I

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Rival theory: they focus tested the hosnian planet being coruscant and test audiences immediately started falling asleep, so associated is coruscant with boredom in the popular psyche

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

I am so impossibly turgid right now.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
While conspiracies about royalties and such are fun it probably is just the Occam's Razor answer of they wanted to keep selling things that took place on or that included Coruscant and so switched the names during filming.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

either explanation is pretty embarrassing and creatively bankrupt. like talk about wanting to have your cake and eat it too

Edit: just because there’s only so many biomes isn’t any excuse. Utapau, Naboo, Kamino, and Mustafar were different. Geonosis was a desert but it didn’t feel anything like Tatooine.

Mandrel fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 28, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah well it’s JJ Abrams. Doing his patented soft reboot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Cross-Section posted:

Who said they're in mothballs? They're crewed:

So I guess these guys were the inspiration for the First Order troopers, since they predate them by a good two decades or so

Or are the FO ST uniforms actually red and just painted white?

Was Finn's helmet at the start of TFA still wet and the dying trooper wiped the paint away, revealing the true color underneath?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BRING ME THEIR FLESH, WAIT WHAT THE FU.......

I was just about to post this. Those guys deserve all the moneys.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Bad guy motivations never seem to make much sense if you stop and actually think about it. When Lucas made the prequels, he made Anakin's motivations even more nonsensical. Okay, so Vader supports the Empire and wants to kill Palpatine. Okay, but why is he loyal to a regime that grew out on a conflict he now knows was fake and manufactured? He knows Palpatine played him and the galaxy, there's no reason he has to stick by his side as a dog on a leash. "Oh, well I'm evil now, guess I just have to bide my time until I can try to kill my boss?" Except he saves Palpatine's life multiple times, but then also wants Luke to join him so they can kill the Emperor. Well, what is it Vader? Do you want to end the destructive conflict or just constantly perpetuate all the manufactured poo poo the Empire does to stay in power?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Teek posted:

Bad guy motivations never seem to make much sense if you stop and actually think about it. When Lucas made the prequels, he made Anakin's motivations even more nonsensical. Okay, so Vader supports the Empire and wants to kill Palpatine. Okay, but why is he loyal to a regime that grew out on a conflict he now knows was fake and manufactured? He knows Palpatine played him and the galaxy, there's no reason he has to stick by his side as a dog on a leash. "Oh, well I'm evil now, guess I just have to bide my time until I can try to kill my boss?" Except he saves Palpatine's life multiple times, but then also wants Luke to join him so they can kill the Emperor. Well, what is it Vader? Do you want to end the destructive conflict or just constantly perpetuate all the manufactured poo poo the Empire does to stay in power?

When he's Anakin he clearly states that he thinks democracy is a joke and fascism is the wave of the future. Just because he knows Palpatine played him doesn't mean his opinion on everything else changes.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Teek posted:

The dark side of the Force is super loving evil and corrupts people, and Palpatine is a powerful sorcerer, OP.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Also, the sith are constantly trying to play each other. A) they're evil, and B) the rule of two basically sets them up to off their masters. the emperor killed his master, for example. did you ever hear the tragedy of darth plagueis the wise?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
It's gonna be time travel, just like Red Letter Media guessed...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Also, the sith are constantly trying to play each other. A) they're evil, and B) the rule of two basically sets them up to off their masters. the emperor killed his master, for example. did you ever hear the tragedy of darth plagueis the wise?
Yes, and I think it’s also still canon that Vader had a secret apprentice he was training to use to go after the Emperor (Force Unleashed game).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, and I think it’s also still canon that Vader had a secret apprentice he was training to use to go after the Emperor (Force Unleashed game).

Also Luke from the movies.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

TFU wasn't canon when it came out, and it's super not canon after the Disney buyout

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

TFU wasn't canon when it came out, and it's super not canon after the Disney buyout

What IS Canon are Vader's Inquisitors who were force sensitive and flew around by spinning their lightsabers like helicopter blades.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I readily except faster than light travel but someone please explain the aerodynamic concepts that make that possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

High Lord Elbow posted:

I readily except faster than light travel but someone please explain the aerodynamic concepts that make that possible.

Aerodynamics don't play into space travel too much