Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Sortitoutsi is running a Special Pre-order that includes FM20 and FM20 Touch for $43.95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FM always includes FM touch. That's a full $1 cheaper than buying it on steam directly! And I suppose supports sortitout.

Humble also has it at 10% off at the moment (for another day and a half). I think if you're a Humble Monthly subscriber you'd get another 10% on top of that which would be the current cheapest option I think.

https://isthereanydeal.com/game/footballmanagerii0ii0/info/

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

When does the beta usually go live? I assume there's no day one launch patch or anything that will break a save started in beta, right?

I'm still on my FM16 save though and doing just fine with it... maybe I won't upgrade. :v:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Drone posted:

When does the beta usually go live? I assume there's no day one launch patch or anything that will break a save started in beta, right?

I'm still on my FM16 save though and doing just fine with it... maybe I won't upgrade. :v:

October 24th.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
SI have announced some of the features they've added for this year. https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/1174673867832549377

Miles Jacobsen has been saying the main thrust of their improvements is for long career managers, so things like setting out multi-season plans and ambitions, how to manage developing players better and how to course the individual player's career better. I don't really see any of these as likely to fall down at their first implementation. The one that's likely to have issues is the "improved" back room staff: stuff like suggesting teams. rear end Mans are useless, so now they can be useless in suggesting the line up for the team. There's also improvements to the player 3D models, the manager model and stadiums.

These mostly seem like decent changes to me, subtle nudges in the game in the direction it was going already rather than massive features. I might be tempted to get it and try my edited database sugar daddy no drinking team again (I can move players from lower-ish leagues to my team, but only if they're not old enough to drink.) Then it's a case of developing them as you rise through the leagues. I'm trying it in a FM18 save and it's the personalities all demanding different stuff that's causing the problems.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Mrenda posted:

SI have announced some of the features they've added for this year. https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/1174673867832549377

Miles Jacobsen has been saying the main thrust of their improvements is for long career managers, so things like setting out multi-season plans and ambitions, how to manage developing players better and how to course the individual player's career better. I don't really see any of these as likely to fall down at their first implementation. The one that's likely to have issues is the "improved" back room staff: stuff like suggesting teams. rear end Mans are useless, so now they can be useless in suggesting the line up for the team. There's also improvements to the player 3D models, the manager model and stadiums.

These mostly seem like decent changes to me, subtle nudges in the game in the direction it was going already rather than massive features. I might be tempted to get it and try my edited database sugar daddy no drinking team again (I can move players from lower-ish leagues to my team, but only if they're not old enough to drink.) Then it's a case of developing them as you rise through the leagues. I'm trying it in a FM18 save and it's the personalities all demanding different stuff that's causing the problems.

I do like the addition of the playing time pathway for signing players, as well as the multi-season plans and goals for the manager. Those are nice touches.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I'm very excited for the improved graphics to have some sort of memory leak and require insane specs to actually run properly despite still looking worse than FIFA 94

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

:same:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i legit laughed out loud for like 20 seconds at the first screenshot of the edit manager appearance mode, it was like something from the late 90s but like a late 90s game you would find in a bin at the supermarket

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

jesus WEP posted:

i legit laughed out loud for like 20 seconds at the first screenshot of the edit manager appearance mode, it was like something from the late 90s but like a late 90s game you would find in a bin at the supermarket

I like how they forced you to use these abominations as a manager photo rather than in the past allowing you to import an actual photo if you wished.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

The Croc posted:

I like how they forced you to use these abominations as a manager photo rather than in the past allowing you to import an actual photo if you wished.

There’s a mod for that you know.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The best solution is using the weird offbrand facegen system that uses your real photo and superimposes it insanely badly onto one of the misshapen lumps of clay they use as a 3D manager model

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Bogan Krkic posted:

The best solution is using the weird offbrand facegen system that uses your real photo and superimposes it insanely badly onto one of the misshapen lumps of clay they use as a 3D manager model

My picture actually looked great on that the first version they put it in. Tried it again the next year and my head became a perfectly spherical Hitler.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mods change my username to Spherical Hitler

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Assuming a perfectly spherical Hitler in a vacuum,

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

frankenfreak posted:

Assuming a perfectly spherical Hitler in a vacuum,

imagine 4 hitler balls at the edge of a cliff

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Karl Sharks posted:

imagine 1 hitler ball at the edge of a cliff

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I think I might have a problem.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Masonity posted:

I think I might have a problem.

S Sport is a rag and everyone know it.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Miles is getting tetchy.

https://twitter.com/milessi/status/1189873658262634497?s=21

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
And of course the beta is out a few hours later (which is now.)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can't believe they released it.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
Almost every year I really enjoy the beta, then the release day patch inexplicably makes the match engine so much worse.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Stotty posted:

Almost every year I really enjoy the beta, then the release day patch inexplicably makes the match engine so much worse.
It’s a proud SI tradition

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

Fortunately it's not good to begin with this year. Hope you like

- Constant crossfield passes
- Narrow defences
- Unmakred attacking fullbacks
- No through passes
- No dribbling past players
- Offsides
- Late offside flags
- Lethal long balls

- And now the flag's gone up. Seriously taking the piss with the late offside flags.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
:(

Not quite sure why I keep buying it every year at this point - looking at my steam play times, FM2014 was the last version I really enjoyed.

They need some competition from a proper manager game, time to break out

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

sassassin posted:

Fortunately it's not good to begin with this year. Hope you like

Whats improved?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Unmarked full/wingbacks and constant surgically precise 45 yard crosses have been a thing since like 16, the rest of it sounds new though

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Stotty posted:

:(

Not quite sure why I keep buying it every year at this point - looking at my steam play times, FM2014 was the last version I really enjoyed.

They need some competition from a proper manager game, time to break out

I have that disk somewhere.

Fortunately I don't have to buy FM any more. But I still have to play it.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
That one was sat on my desk after a sudden bout of nostalgia recently, unfortunately I couldn't be bothered to jump through the hoops to get it working.

I think CM 95/96 was the first Champ Manager game I bought, the leagues were individual disks - started with the Dutch/Belgian leagues and then eventually bought the Italian one a couple months later.

96/97 had all the major leagues on one install disk as far as I can remember.

I shudder to think how many hours I've sunk into these dumb games since then

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

It's got the Welsh second division.

The dev centre feature they bragged about is just a resorted menu for stuff we already had, and hides your u23s/u18s squad screens under additional clicks unless you decide to micromanage everything.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
The code of conduct thing things looks like a nice little addition, instead of having to manage every single fine/suspension.

Unless the players still have a strop at their automated fines.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've already signed a brilliant HOYD and a current Algerian international DC as a team in the French National.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I didn't get FM19, and it was probably changed there, but the interface that comes to your inbox for playing your first team squad in underage matches is a big bad change. I liked being able to see who I had selected for my next match, and then make anyone who needed match sharpness available to the reserves. The new way doesn't seem to show that, and what it does show (via extra clicks to even see your players) isn't what's needed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mrenda posted:

I didn't get FM19, and it was probably changed there, but the interface that comes to your inbox for playing your first team squad in underage matches is a big bad change. I liked being able to see who I had selected for my next match, and then make anyone who needed match sharpness available to the reserves. The new way doesn't seem to show that, and what it does show (via extra clicks to even see your players) isn't what's needed.

I think that is new and I like that I can force my peons to select a certain player in a specific position and role. But it does get a bit awkward sometimes when the player isn't being suggested by your assistant, you have to add them manually from the squad screen and then place them.

For all the faults of the match engine I'm actually enjoying my save quite a bit. Helps to play as a lower league team of garbagemen.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah it’s always better when it’s the team you support, agreed

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've started with a team in the first division of Ireland, from near enough to me. They're predicted to come last in a division you can't be relegated from. The board expects us to come last. The board's biggest concern is the morale of the team, the bleeding hearts.

I will say, coming from FM18, they seem to have done quite well in making poo poo teams play more believably poo poo. It feels less like the match engine throwing in unbelievable mistakes amidst decent play (like chess computers playing perfectly but making two or three huge blunders as a sop to its supposed human level.) I actually believe this is a team of wastemen who couldn't kick a candy cigarette habit. This could be the match engine just being awful (including at higher levels) but to me it seems bad teams play badly in a believable manner when looking at people streaming quality teams playing well. Of course the team play puke football isn't making me too enthusiastic about the save (especially with there seeming to be no way to progress the team,) but I'll tough it out.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Am I going mad or can I not find the button to create a new scouting assignment in FM2020? It's not on the assignments screen where it was in FM19...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EvilHawk posted:

Am I going mad or can I not find the button to create a new scouting assignment in FM2020? It's not on the assignments screen where it was in FM19...

Have you set yourself to be in charge of that in Staff - Responsibilities? If you don't it helpfully hides the button for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Cardiff sacked Warnock and hired Pulis, they nailed it this year.