Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Flying_Crab posted:

Or NYS indicts him as he’s walking back into Trump Tower after the inauguration.

Or he goes on to live a comfortable life knowing he has tens of millions of adoring fans who backed him regardless of senility, policy outcomes, or general dementia.

What about the history of the US presidency makes you hopeful about any sort of personal accountability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

SimonCat posted:

Possible test balloon for a Primary challenge?

It's image rehabilitation. He's checking off all the boxes so he won't end up like every other Trump political appointee and get blacklisted from every future administration for all eternity.

He can come back as NSA, DNI, etc. since he was seen as the one reasonable man in the room.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Like he's going to willingly give up power. He'll start shrieking about voter fraud and how it's all rigged some time next year if not sooner.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

Like he's going to willingly give up power. He'll start shrieking about voter fraud and how it's all rigged some time next year if not sooner.

he was screaming about voter fraud last week

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

SimonCat posted:

Possible test balloon for a Primary challenge?

God I hope not. Military Generals seem to have had a rough go of it post Ike.

Vasudus posted:

It's image rehabilitation. He's checking off all the boxes so he won't end up like every other Trump political appointee and get blacklisted from every future administration for all eternity.

He can come back as NSA, DNI, etc. since he was seen as the one reasonable man in the room.

And he’s probably the one that I’d have a the least problem with serving in a future capacity. Too bad Haley and Pence are probably going to avoid being ostracized like the rest of the Trump team after this administration ends.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Didn't his own administration disband the agency that oversees that?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There was an article I read a few months ago about how the Trump administration is basically committing career suicide for the GOP political body that typically fills all the ~10,000 political gigs in an administration. Not the cabinet level people, but the underlings. It's all filled to the brim with Trump supporters since they're doing obscene purity tests and screenings to get the people in who are largely insanely unqualified. But down the road that means two things:

First that there's no continuation of the previous GOP machine from Bush 43's days, which in itself were from Bush 41, so you have people who might have been like a principal deputy or something but since they aren't serving in this administration in the roles they were expected to graduate to, there's a career experience gap.

Second is that because this administration is so toxic and filled with these underqualified rubes, they'll never be able to integrate into the main GOP political machine.

The end result is that for the next GOP administration, you won't have nearly the same pool of qualified political appointees for mid and senior level positions.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Speaking of filling positions way back when i remember there was a silly amount of positions unfilled compared to other admins. Is that still the case?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

It shows me the OP on tweets for me so I usually just post the reply so you can see both

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
this thread has been trying to rehabilitate Mattis's image since he was nominated

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TalKopan/status/1166763230703837187?s=20

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Maybe I can get a job under President Bernie when I graduate.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

:psypop:

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Wow, and I assume you can't enroll your new child in DEERS without a SSN. Which you can't get until they're a citizen.

I guess gently caress you if you're still in, deployed overseas with your family and have a kid.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

1. "Natural" *coughclimatechangecough* disaster happens
2. Make an appearance, chuck some brawny
3. Give a no-bid contract to your buddy for island reconstruction
4. Profit
5. When nothing is reconstructed because you pocketed the cash, blame it on the victims

I want to grab him by the penis, and pull really hard.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

like holy loving poo poo what the gently caress

quote:

A U.S. citizen may have automatically acquired U.S. citizenship based on birth in the United States, but never actually resided in the United States. This U.S. citizen will not have established residence in the United States, and may be unable to transmit U.S. citizenship to his or her own children.

For example, if the U.S. citizen, still having never resided in the United States, subsequently marries another U.S. citizen who never resided in the United States, and they give birth to a child outside the United States, the child will not acquire citizenship at birth under INA 301(c) because neither U.S. citizen parent can show the requisite residence in the United States.

quote:

A U.S. citizen who was born in the United States generally meets the residence requirement as long as he or she can present evidence to demonstrate that his or her mother was not merely transiting through or visiting the United States at the time of his or her birth. For example, a long form birth certificate is sufficient evidence if it shows a U.S. address listed as the mother’s residence at the time of the U.S. citizen’s birth.

If a U.S. citizen’s birth certificate indicates that his or her mother’s address was outside of the United States at the time of the birth, USCIS may find that the U.S. citizen does not meet the residence requirement unless the U.S. citizen can prove U.S. residence.

I am absolutely livid what the absolute loving christ, whoever wrote these regulations deserves to have the foulest violence to be committed on their person

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Stravag posted:

Speaking of filling positions way back when i remember there was a silly amount of positions unfilled compared to other admins. Is that still the case?

This post made me look up who the current Secretary of Defense is and I was honestly surprised that it is a currently filled position.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

sooooo like john mccain

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

sooooo like john mccain

So if the parents are citizens your children will not be if born overseas?

Ooooh no so if you are a GS or military with just a green card but not a citizen over seas your kids are boned.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 28, 2019

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Yo this is some goddamn poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

sooooo like john mccain

Insular acts are confusing as gently caress but I think the Panama Canal Zone counted?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It looks like there's a footnote.

quote:

Instead, the U.S. citizen parent of such a child may apply for naturalization on the child’s behalf under INA 322.

So I guess you have some paperwork to do instead of being automatic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Madurai posted:

So I guess you have some paperwork to do instead of being automatic.

Doesn't make it much better. They are trying to make excuses for getting rid of birthright citizenship.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Doesn't make it much better. They are trying to make excuses for getting rid of birthright citizenship.

Oh absolutely this is putting up barriers for the sake of it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Luckily, all of our children will live in a post apocalyptic remnant of our lovely country so citizenship won't mean poo poo.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I really want who ever wins to declare every person on the planet a us citizen and that automatically transfers down their children until the line dies off just to watch half of congress die from rage induced embolisms or heart attacks

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
How did we miss these beauts?!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1166711516701347842
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1166711517536030720
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1166712943196680193

I reallly hope this turns into a chud Night of the Long Knives.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Stravag posted:

It's mostly cronies of whoever is the Secretary, with some exceptions. HHS is mostly filled with Pence's people trying to undermine women's health. Most of the empty positions are in departments Republicans hate so much that it's career poison even if it's a demo job.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Hurricane Dorian is expected to be a major hurricane when it lands in central FL Monday-ish. If you’re down here, keep an eye on nhc.noaa.gov. Current cone extends from Miami to the south end of GA, but that’ll focus down once Maria Dorian passes through Puerto Rico.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Icon Of Sin posted:

Hurricane Dorian is expected to be a major hurricane when it lands in central FL Monday-ish. If you’re down here, keep an eye on nhc.noaa.gov. Current cone extends from Miami to the south end of GA, but that’ll focus down once Maria Dorian passes through Puerto Rico.

Yeah it's gonna be a biggie.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

LingcodKilla posted:

Ooooh no so if you are a GS or military with just a green card but not a citizen over seas your kids are boned.

No, even if you're a citizen by birth and a Fed employee or military menber, your kid will have to apply for naturalized citizenship. Used to be it was automatic and considered by birth. Which then means your kid could have their citizenship revoked and deported if they gently caress up later in life.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BigDave posted:

Yeah it's gonna be a biggie.

wheres mar a lago

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Evil SpongeBob posted:

No, even if you're a citizen by birth and a Fed employee or military menber, your kid will have to apply for naturalized citizenship. Used to be it was automatic and considered by birth. Which then means your kid could have their citizenship revoked and deported if they gently caress up later in life.

You get one guess what color of skin people have who will find themselves with "paper work errors" and deported/relocated/disappeared.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wheres mar a lago

South of the projected point of landfall, closer to where the Bahamas are (those are those islands just off the east of FL, near where the peninsula coastline starts hooking back inward at the bottom)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

wheres mar a lago

Just outside the cone on the south :argh:

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

South of the projected point of landfall, closer to where the Bahamas are (those are those islands just off the east of FL, near where the peninsula coastline starts hooking back inward at the bottom)

It's a pretty broad probability cone that far out, so bets are still on.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Kinda bizarre (for any other presidency) to make gov and mil family life even harder to balance.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

We should file a legitimacy suit against Ted Cruz now lol

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

It's hard not to look at Boris the Clown and wonder how any opposition party in the UK wouldn't be absolutely trouncing the Tories at every opportunity.

And then you look at Corbyn and realize he's a useless old ideologue who has no idea what decade it is, who couldn't win a popularity contest against a wet paper bag outside his own cult of personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
That's a very misleading tweet.
This change doesn't apply to children born to a US citizen parent.*

It applies to this case:
A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a citizen of the United States when all of the following conditions have been fulfilled:
(1) At least one parent of the child is a citizen of the United States, whether by birth or naturalization.
(2) The child is under the age of eighteen years.
(3) The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence.

the change is that the statutory "residing in the Unites States" requirement had been expanded by policy guidance to include "residing with US citizens working overseas for the government/military." This policy rescinds the prior policy expansion.
(But people knocked out of that section can still apply under a different statute)

*There are some minor changes that clarify the difference between visiting and residing that could apply to some edge edge cases.

Yes, they are restricting citizenship, and it's dumb, but it's not the apocalypse the tweet tries to make it.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Wow, and I assume you can't enroll your new child in DEERS without a SSN. Which you can't get until they're a citizen.

I guess gently caress you if you're still in, deployed overseas with your family and have a kid.
Thankfully, no

Acebuckeye13 posted:

like holy loving poo poo what the gently caress

I am absolutely livid what the absolute loving christ, whoever wrote these regulations deserves to have the foulest violence to be committed on their person
Thankfully, no

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

sooooo like john mccain
My first thought. "So Donnie wants to disinter and deport John McCain..."

LingcodKilla posted:

No more boned than before.

CommieGIR posted:

Thankfully, no.

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Thankfully, no

Madurai posted:

Oh absolutely this is putting up barriers for the sake of it.
Unfortunately, yes.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 28, 2019