Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Oh dear me posted:

I don't know, the 'continuous' surely means it's a thing that is going on up to a point in the future - like 'I shall have been bedridden for a fortnight tomorrow'. That doesn't really seem to apply here, I think it's just a plain future perfect.

Okay, everyone here's ballsed this up this explanation so let me put this grammar question to bed once and for all.

• The future perfect continuous tense uses the present participle form of the verb ("I will have been doing"), whereas the future perfect simple tense uses the past participle ("I will have done").
  • Under normal circumstances, the perfect continuous aspect is used to denote actions that will be uncompleted at a future time (e.g. "by this time tomorrow, I will have been writing this report for 2 weeks") whereas the perfect simple aspect is used to denote completed actions (e.g. "by this time tomorrow, I will have written the report")
  • The original quote was "She'll have been forced to do it" which is syntactically an example of the future perfect simple tense in passive voice.
  • BUT: in Britain, uniquely (so far as I know) in anglophone countries, "will" is used as a modal verb to denote confident speculation or deduction in place of "must" (e.g. "Where's John?" - "Oh he will / must be at the doctor's, he mentioned it yesterday").
  • By affixing modal verbs with the perfect aspect (the auxiliary verb "have") they become past tense.
  • Thus, "She'll have been forced to do it" means the same as "She must have been told to do it" which means "I strongly believe that she was told to do it". It is a means of speculating about past actions, not (despite the use of "will") a means of talking about the future.

Thanks. gently caress the queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

kingturnip posted:

Petitions and protests are meaningless when you've got megalomaniacs in charge.
The only way you get their attention is by doing things that affect them or their political/financial backers personally.

Riots, basically, in nice parts of the country. Johnson won't give the slightest poo poo if Tottenham burns to the ground again, but move West a little and start burning Muswell Hill, and suddenly a lot of journalists start asking the government awkward questions like "How are you going to stop this with the smallest police force and army in modern history?"

I was talking about something similar with my mum and stepdad the week before last, and my stepdad insists that the politicians didn't really start to freak out about the IRA until they started targeting the banks, stock exchanges et al. Other people may dispute this, but it is true that most politicians (certainly Conservatives these days) care more about wealth than about human life, so if you want to do a riot, go to the City and throw bricks there. Though, if the police are reading my posts (lol if you read my posts) they should know I'm a huge wimp with anxiety about crowds and loud noises, so don't plan on rioting myself. But I'm not going to get out of my chair to stop anyone else.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Blurred posted:

Okay, everyone here's ballsed this up this explanation so let me put this grammar question to bed once and for all.

• The future perfect continuous tense uses the present participle form of the verb ("I will have been doing"), whereas the future perfect simple tense uses the past participle ("I will have done").
  • Under normal circumstances, the perfect continuous aspect is used to denote actions that will be uncompleted at a future time (e.g. "by this time tomorrow, I will have been writing this report for 2 weeks") whereas the perfect simple aspect is used to denote completed actions (e.g. "by this time tomorrow, I will have written the report")
  • The original quote was "She'll have been forced to do it" which is syntactically an example of the future perfect simple tense in passive voice.
  • BUT: in Britain, uniquely (so far as I know) in anglophone countries, "will" is used as a modal verb to denote confident speculation or deduction in place of "must" (e.g. "Where's John?" - "Oh he will / must be at the doctor's, he mentioned it yesterday").
  • By affixing modal verbs with the perfect aspect (the auxiliary verb "have") they become past tense.
  • Thus, "She'll have been forced to do it" means the same as "She must have been told to do it" which means "I strongly believe that she was told to do it". It is a means of speculating about past actions, not (despite the use of "will") a means of talking about the future.

loving hell, I did not expect FBPE insanity to lead to a lucid and edifying breakdown of English grammar

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't gently caress the queen, that's how monarchies sustain themselves!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CyberPingu posted:

Mate if you think the Irish government have a loving clue what they are doing I've got some bad news for you.

This is the government that let apple off the hook on their tax bill until the EU stepped in.

Also the government who sent untrained teachers put in positions of power in gov to negotiate deals with the EU

Yeah we are powerfully poo poo, but the regular kind of poo poo that has been dooming the planet for the last century. Not this special kind of Brexit-turbo-on-fire-poo poo

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

OwlFancier posted:

Don't gently caress the queen, that's how monarchies sustain themselves!

I think we all know that the royals are monotremes.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah we are powerfully poo poo, but the regular kind of poo poo that has been dooming the planet for the last century. Not this special kind of Brexit-turbo-on-fire-poo poo

Fair.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Junior G-man posted:

I think we all know that the royals are monotremes.

Diana might have been, but I'm pretty sure Liz, Phillip, Charlie, and their other nonce offspring are pure Reptilians. Am pretty sure she blinked her nictitating membrane at Trump to shame him.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The queen definitely has at least two and probably three decks and sets of oars.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I was going to type out a big effort post in response to jobchat as well as touching on Diktator Bojo, but I found out this afternoon that it looks like I’m going to be a father.

We’re going to try and get confirmation due to the minute chance of a false positive before we tell family and friends.

I didn’t realise it was possible to be so thrilled and at the same time completely terrified.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Hey congrats! And fingers crossed! :)

OwlFancier posted:

The queen definitely has at least two and probably three decks and sets of oars.

Think you might be confusing her with Queenie McQueenface 2.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

quote:

Jo Swinson, the new leader of the Liberal Democrats, said the party would back Kenneth Clarke or Harriet Harman as prime minister of an anti-no-deal Brexit coalition government. The idea of this new coalition came from Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and would include Green, SNP, and rebel Tory MPs. Swinson said that Corbyn would not get sufficient support from all sides of parliament, while Clarke or Harman are unifying names.

Wait what. Why the gently caress would corbyn agree to a blairite being PM instead of him

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ doesn't sound like he did, just that he said we gotta form a coalition and swinson's all MY HOUSE MY RULES

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I was going to type out a big effort post in response to jobchat as well as touching on Diktator Bojo, but I found out this afternoon that it looks like I’m going to be a father.

We’re going to try and get confirmation due to the minute chance of a false positive before we tell family and friends.

I didn’t realise it was possible to be so thrilled and at the same time completely terrified.

:nice:

post/av combo

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 28, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Hey friend, congrats first of all, but let me say I've been there. I'm an American goon that found out my wife was pregnant the day of Trump's inauguration. So after the initial excitement wore off I think I stared off into space for an eternity thinking "what have I done?". (Hey at least it doesn't cost $10,000 to have a baby over there!)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mila kunis posted:

Wait what. Why the gently caress would corbyn agree to a blairite being PM instead of him

The paragraph you quoted very carefully avoids saying that corbyn suggested someone else should be PM.

It says he supported the idea of a coalition and that the liberal democrats want it to be clarke or harman, and that they are "unifying names" and very studiously avoids saying anything else.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Blurred posted:

[grammar lesson]

Thank you! And let the queen have been hosed.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mila kunis posted:

the original plan was for Corbyn to lead the caretaker goverment, you know, because he's the Leader of the Opposition

the Libs then threw a massive shitfit and declared that they wouldn't support Corbyn but would support Yvette Cooper or Ken Clarke or one of the hundred other fuckups currently on either side's back benches

they're trying to get Corbyn to stand aside immediately because if he holds a vote seeking to install him as caretaker PM the Libs will vote against him and therefore be on the record as voting for No Deal, which is a pretty good way to turbofuck their current popularity based on them being the ~*~Party of Remain~*~

e: whoever called them Meat Loaf Remainers was dead loving on

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 28, 2019

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
can the lib dems just gently caress off forever? just gently caress off

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYOtKdtmRaA&t=2816s

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

can the lib dems just gently caress off forever? just gently caress off

With their current actions, it looks like they're gonna gently caress themselves into oblivion...again. Hopefully loving finally, too.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pesky Splinter posted:

With their current actions, it looks like they're gonna gently caress themselves into oblivion...again. Hopefully loving finally, too.

They'll come back again when some new, totally improbable bullshit impacts the lives of the bourgeois

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

they're trying to get Corbyn to stand aside immediately because if he holds a vote seeking to install him as caretaker PM the Libs will vote against him and therefore be on the record as voting for No Deal, which is a pretty good way to turbofuck their current popularity based on them being the ~*~Party of Remain~*~

e: whoever called them Meat Loaf Remainers was dead loving on

Liberals are terrible everywhere and IMO British politicians are generally more craven than average, but the Liberal Democrats are really something else.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Lord Ludikrous posted:

:toot: congratulations!

Also everyone who's gonna be a parent is terrified out of their wits. It's cool and normal.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Why are they so opposed to Corbyn being PM for a couple months while the caretaker government holds elections? It’s not like he can enact sweeping policy changes with him being on only by a razor thin margin, one contingent on him agreeing to be only a caretaker, can he?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

They'll come back again when some new, totally improbable bullshit impacts the lives of the bourgeois

Bourgy-hydra - every new head that grows after being severed demands an extra 5p on bags before working with the Tories.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Kill Bristol posted:

Why are they so opposed to Corbyn being PM for a couple months while the caretaker government holds elections? It’s not like he can enact sweeping policy changes with him being on only by a razor thin margin, one contingent on him agreeing to be only a caretaker, can he?

I think it's because if he keeps his word then they can't scare people by saying he is a spooky old communist spy who wants to take all the housepricepensionssavings from hardworkingtaxpayerfamilies.

Like I think that's part of it. Part of it is probably that they just plain couldn't stomach seeing him in the office of PM even under those conditions

crispix fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 28, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because they don't give the faintest poo poo about anything but themselves and the labour party getting anywhere near government risks giving us inertia to enact our own political project that is a direct threat to their chances of holding power and prestige.

They will burn the country and kill as many people as it takes to keep themselves in the papers and to uphold liberal economics.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kill Bristol posted:

Some combination of them believing it would give Labour an advantage in a GE + smelling an opportunity to damage his credibility if they can get him to stand aside

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Here's a really cool youtube channel to watch while drunk and hopeless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?henders007?videos

Just an old guy showing you his collection of random poo poo

Very relaxing and wholesome and nice. Highly recommended to anyone who's also fed up and depressed and drunk

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kill Bristol posted:

because he might start doing dangerously authoritarian things like, oh I don't know, dissolving Parliament to prevent MPs from opposing him

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The point is far less about any coherent political agenda though they absolutely do hate the labour one, but because politics for liberals is twitter and the point is maximum attention for yourself at all times.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Krypton is doomed. Act accordingly.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Wouldn't the LibDems voting against a VONC be against even their own self-interest? Especially in the event of a no-deal Brexit their supporters are going to remember they torpedoed the last chance to avoid the worst possible outcome. It's really hard to understand their position except that they're bluffing. Is there a chance Corbyn pushes for a VONC and dares them to vote against it?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Nocturtle posted:

Wouldn't the LibDems voting against a VONC be against even their own self-interest? Especially in the event of a no-deal Brexit their supporters are going to remember they torpedoed the last chance to avoid the worst possible outcome. It's really hard to understand their position except that they're bluffing. Is there a chance Corbyn pushes for a VONC and dares them to vote against it?

I dunno, Lib Dem supporters currently don't seem to be remembering all the dumb poo poo they did in coalition so...

More seriously recent polling showed something like 70% of LD supporters want them to support Corbyn's plan so actually you're probably right.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Lib Dem supporters should theoretically remember the lies and betrayal of the coalition but here we are

E:fb

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yes it would, and yes IMO he's absolutely going to

the LDs voting against a VONC and/or a Corbyn caretaker government would be in direct contradiction to what is literally their single only current policy, it absolutely would not go unnoticed

in the last 3 GEs the LDs went from 57 seats to 8 to 12, just because the fubpees on Twitter have memory-holed the coalition years doesn't mean everyone has

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

StarkingBarfish posted:

https://twitter.com/JohnnyMercerUK/status/1166778132248092672

Apparently compassionate conservatism involves protecting state-sanctioned murderers and this is what is needed in these trying times

i thought this was a joke tweet

also in other news my epstein brain and brexit brain have collided like two merging hurricanes and now im spraying brexit froth at everyone i know but they seem to be doing the same too

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

AceClown posted:

Hmmmm, just had an email, at 22:00 today of an emergency CLP meeting tomorrow at 6pm.

No agenda set, nothing from above about why but they are asking for all members to attend.

Think this might have to be my first CLP meeting lads, something is afoot.

Has the revolution started yet?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The best thing about conservatism is that you need to put "compassionate" in front of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1166783870450225152

Topical.