Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

so i'm switched to them automatically, but am i forced to use them or can i bounce between classes like they were any other?

just checking if i should stop wasting time raising riding or whatever

It's not a waste to level Riding anyway, since it gives you Move +1.

Generally the house leaders' personal classes are extremely good so there isn't much reason to switch them after they get their new classes, though making Edelgard a Wyvern Lord does kick rear end. You're free to make them any class, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also going forward I really hope they ditch all the lovely skills you need to make using weapons worthwhile and just roll them back into a passive bonus from weapon rank. Having to use 2-3 of your 5 open skill slots on everyone to give them poo poo like 'makes your weapons actually function' or 'battallions can do damage' is really awful feeling and makes almost everyone just beeline for the same best 2 extra skills.

Like at endgame almost everyone I fielded was just rocking

Primary Weapon skill
Authority Skill
Fiendish/Death Blow
Close Counter/Breaker skill
Vantage/Rally/Secondary weapon skill/whatever

Rallybots and Dancers subbed out the last two for Rally skills or Sword Avo+20 and Special Dance.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 28, 2019

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

You can't savescum it. The game rolls it weekly so you need to wait another week to try again (or reload from a previous week).

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The pass/fail roll for all class certifications is done when the day starts, not when you take the test, so if you want to save scum then you need to reload from the previous week.

Lame and bad but thanks a billion and 66

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Also going forward I really hope they ditch all the lovely skills you need to make using weapons worthwhile and just roll them back into a passive bonus from weapon rank. Having to use 2-3 of your 5 open skill slots on everyone to give them poo poo like 'makes your weapons actually hit' or 'battallions can do damage' is really awful feeling and makes almost everyone just beeline for the same best 2 extra skills.

Primary Weapon skill
Authority Skill
Fiendish/Death Blow
Vantage/Rally/whatever

Rallybots and Dancers subbed out the last two for Rally skills or Sword Avo+20 and Special Dance.

Generally I find "number goes up" skills pretty boring so I'd like it if they made skills more varied and powerful but maybe didn't let you equip as many so each one can be more impactful. In previous games you had skills like Sol and Astra and stuff but that kind of thing seems like it'll be in combat arts going forward, so skills are going to need something new to keep them interesting.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Zore posted:

Also going forward I really hope they ditch all the lovely skills you need to make using weapons worthwhile and just roll them back into a passive bonus from weapon rank. Having to use 2-3 of your 5 open skill slots on everyone to give them poo poo like 'makes your weapons actually function' or 'battallions can do damage' is really awful feeling and makes almost everyone just beeline for the same best 2 extra skills.

Primary Weapon skill
Authority Skill
Fiendish/Death Blow
Vantage/Rally/Secondary weapon skill/whatever

Basically, I like non-damaging battalions as I don't need to have the authority skill then :D Depending on playstyle, fiendish/death blow is also not that good. Range/Movement/Faire for offence are better, and Alert Stance/Aegis/Pavis for defence are really good too. Vantage/Wrath/Quick Ripose should also not be under estimated.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I hope these chapters start to have less talky bits soon then cause i'm on chapter eight and will soon run out of leisure gaming time

are you dying

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arkeus posted:

Basically, I like non-damaging battalions as I don't need to have the authority skill then :D Depending on playstyle, fiendish/death blow is also not that good. Range/Movement/Faire for offence are better, and Alert Stance/Aegis/Pavis for defence are really good too. Vantage/Wrath/Quick Ripose should also not be under estimated.

Faires are free with every Advanced/Master classes and don't count towards your personal limit. Plus you need to get to S+ for them if you want to put them in another class which is at the rear end end of the game if you hit it at all. Ditto for range and movement. Aegis and Pavise are also free with a bunch of classes and item.

And while there are a lot of good non-damaging battalions having authority lets you trivialize every giant monster fight and boss in the game with damaging ones.

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 28, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

To be fair just saving battalions for shield breaks alone trivializes monsters. since no armor monsters take a ton of damage I mean more damage is great and all but it's not as necessary.

Also I must admit when it comes to El's personal class I prefer keeping her in armored lord because I love her outfit there and the emperor outfit isn't as cool. :ohdear:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Eimi posted:

Also I must admit when it comes to El's personal class I prefer keeping her in armored lord because I love her outfit there and the emperor outfit isn't as cool. :ohdear:

Yeah, Armored Lord is way better for Fashion Emblem.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Skills for mastering master classes might as well not exist since they are either super endgame or ng+ fodder. Same with S+ skills.

The blow skills on the other hand are super early and easy to master

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Josuke Higashikata posted:

guess i think the 66% chance of passing an exam when you nearly have the stats might be a lie

my evidence is that i've tried to turn hubert into a warlock 25 times on a "66% chance" and failed every time.

:xcom:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope that if battalions come back next time, they're more interesting. I'd like to see smaller stat bonuses and more varied gambit effects. It'd be cool if there were battalions that made sense for Thief/Assassin units, too, like guerrilla fighters instead of a bunch of knights/cavaliers/mages.

Mainly I want to see the standard gambit effect split up so it isn't AoE damage + debuff + immobilize all in one. Have different gambits have different effects and maybe they can be a more interesting part of combat and have more interesting choices associated with them. Right now they're extraordinarily powerful "oh poo poo" buttons when you aren't fighting monsters, and "the only way to make monsters not tedious" when you are.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Weird I thought someone was saying they were able to recruit Catherine in like chapter four. She just tells me my lvl is too low :(

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Tabletops posted:

Weird I thought someone was saying they were able to recruit Catherine in like chapter four. She just tells me my lvl is too low :(

You need level 15 iirc, but like all recruit requirements, that is lowered when you build support with her, so you can apparently get her earlier.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HenryEx posted:

You need level 15 iirc, but like all recruit requirements, that is lowered when you build support with her, so you can apparently get her earlier.

With C support it's level 12, with B it's 6

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Harrow posted:

It'd be cool if there were battalions that made sense for Thief/Assassin units, too, like guerrilla fighters instead of a bunch of knights/cavaliers/mages.

There are, actually, they're just all low-level trash battalions. There are both Bandit and Thief battalions, IIRC (Bandit for 100% certain, I'd have to check on Thief).

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Andrast posted:

With C support it's level 12, with B it's 6

Ah drat, is it even possible to get b rank that early? How would that be done?

I'm guessing it's the same with Cyril?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tabletops posted:

Ah drat, is it even possible to get b rank that early? How would that be done?

I'm guessing it's the same with Cyril?

In NG+ you can buy support ranks you unlocked in your previous run using renown, that's the easiest way to do it.

Yeah but Cyril's base is level 10. Which I feel is almost impossible not to hit by Chapter 4 anyways.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Zore posted:

In NG+ you can buy support ranks you unlocked in your previous run using renown, that's the easiest way to do it.

Yeah but Cyril's base is level 10. Which I feel is almost impossible not to hit by Chapter 4 anyways.

Cyril is chapter 5

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wish there was any reason for any of the house leaders to use a sword because the Lord class's sword animations are hilarious and I love them.

Zurai posted:

There are, actually, they're just all low-level trash battalions. There are both Bandit and Thief battalions, IIRC (Bandit for 100% certain, I'd have to check on Thief).

Oh yeah, I forget about those.

I guess I mean I also want them to have more "thief" or "assassin" style effects, like traps or smoke screens or stuff like that. Actually a smoke screen gambit that causes a temporary localized fog of war that only affects enemies would be sweet, I can already think of ways to use that to protect squishy units in bad positions and stuff.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 28, 2019

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Harrow posted:

I wish there was any reason for any of the house leaders to use a sword because the Lord class's sword animations are hilarious and I love them.

Oh yeah, I forget about those.

I guess I mean I also want them to have more "thief" or "assassin" style effects, like traps or smoke screens or stuff like that. Actually a smoke screen gambit that causes a temporary localized fog of war that only affects enemies would be sweet, I can already think of ways to use that to protect squishy units in bad positions and stuff.

They are really good. Kinda stylized fencing animations. I love them.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/ic21_desu/status/1166710769079087104

https://twitter.com/ScruffyTurtles/status/1166575972709273600

https://twitter.com/jivke/status/1165379081346531328

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I now really want to see a meet up between Hubert, Tharja, and Henry.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Zore posted:

Faires are free with every Advanced/Master classes and don't count towards your personal limit. Plus you need to get to S+ for them if you want to put them in another class which is at the rear end end of the game if you hit it at all. Ditto for range and movement. Aegis and Pavise are also free with a bunch of classes and item.

And while there are a lot of good non-damaging battalions having authority lets you trivialize every giant monster fight and boss in the game with damaging ones.

I am pretty sure Faires stack? Range/Movement are also S/A+, which is actually before timeskip on some characters. What class has Aegis and Pavise for free?

Monster fights don't really seem like the dangerous fights to me, though they are a pain with mages.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The golems in the later half of Eagles are pretty scary compared to normal beasts maybe Crest beasts just have bad scaling?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah the robots and mechs generally did high double digit damage to my Edelgard, an armored lord with high enough speed to get everyone but Petra.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The golem enemies are pretty nasty, yeah. They can be a serious threat when there's more than one of them or they're surrounded by other units.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The robots have high damage and more importantly have decent crit, which is scary.

The golems have high magic damage and very high hit which is also a pain. They also have 3 range so you can't cheese them too much until you get S rank magic skill / Thyrsus / Caduceus / Bowknights / Longbows, and even then they have anti-mag barrier.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Tae posted:

Yeah the robots and mechs generally did high double digit damage to my Edelgard, an armored lord with high enough speed to get everyone but Petra.

To be fair, the golems all do magic damage. Granted Edelgard is no slouch when it comes to res either, but still.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

As you get toward the end of Golden Deer there's a merchant NPC who's super excited for Claude's regime change only because it will bring deregulation and more money for him

it's really funny to me for some reason

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Carlosologist posted:

As you get toward the end of Golden Deer there's a merchant NPC who's super excited for Claude's regime change only because it will bring deregulation and more money for him

I think he says something similar in BL, but IIRC, in Black Eagles, he's like "aw man, I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay taxes"

but yeah, I could totally see Claude/Byleth running the country on the founding principles of "hey don't be racist" and not knowing how the gently caress to regulate the economy at all

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

This guy owns, I am enthralled with this merchant's merchant drama
In Blue Lions he just gave me this whole spiel on taxes

There's another NPC that same month who talks about how Firdyiad was kind ofa poo poo hole with ramapnt disease and Cornelia was all "hey, public works are important" so I'm guessing the merchant's just taking the piss here.

Though there seems to be the implication that she was responsible for the disease since they just "miraculously" disappeared once she came to town and she's part of the slithers so I think the assumption is she really did spike taxes and using it to be a poo poo.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

a unified fodlan would presumably mean no tariffs on trade between the three former countries come to think of it

of course someone has to maintain the roads and get merchants to give back to the society making them rich, though i believe in the leicester alliance merchants wield bigger clout than they do in the other countries; it's no accident that two of the commoners in the golden deer class are from merchant families

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 29, 2019

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it makes a broader point that a guy like that is so memorable for worldbuilding purposes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if bringing back the old-school "rescue" command would help bridge the gap between mounted/flying units and infantry in the late-game. If a flier or mounted unit could pick up an infantry unit and deposit them somewhere else it might help mitigate the gap in cross-map mobility.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Harrow posted:

I wonder if bringing back the old-school "rescue" command would help bridge the gap between mounted/flying units and infantry in the late-game. If a flier or mounted unit could pick up an infantry unit and deposit them somewhere else it might help mitigate the gap in cross-map mobility.
On the one hand, I kinda appreciated being able to do that, on the other, warping dedue or felix or whoever into the middle of an army and letting them counterattack everything to death is already broken, do you want to give fliers, the most OP unit in the game, that ability by default

rannum posted:

Let cavs rescue people so they have a more distinct niche
okay that's fair, that would make up for the speed growth penalty

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 29, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Let cavs rescue people so they have a more distinct niche

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

also when you rescue people as cavs they should show up in battle sitting behind you on the horse

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Right now I am staring at the Wyvern Lord/Great Knight gain modifiers in utter disbelief.

Great Knight has the advantage in:
HP: +5
Mag: +5

Wyvern Lord has the advantage in:
Str: +5
Speed: +20 (wtf)
Res: +5

Great Knights don't even has a str growth advantage over Falcon Knights.

internal screaming intensifies

There is no practical reason to be a Great Knight unless you are deathly afraid of bows or maybe if a character has a disadvantage in the flying skill. And even then no.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i guess caspar can fill the punchman slot while dedue is still out

also i'm literally about to do his and mercedes' paralogue