Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GutBomb posted:

Oh is that new? I did mine about 2 years ago and it didn’t.

Edit: I did also forget about that recent Japanese anti-modding law so mod chips might be harder to come by in Japan.

As of just nearly two years now: http://ppcenter.webou.net/devblog/article/108/crc-merge-done.html

Note that it's the Kai fork, not the original Pseudo Saturn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There's a decent amount of games that ask whether to use on-board or cart storage, and I haven't had any issues with PS Kai on my action replay. Panzer Dragoon Saga doesn't work with mine, but that doesn't seem to be that uncommon of an issue as that game's compatibility can vary based on Saturn model evidently. It's not too hard to swap trick the firmware onto the cart, but I've also heard the red pre-installed PS Kai carts work just fine if you don't want to bother with that. Eventually the Satiator might come out and maybe be another way to save games on, along with being an ODE.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Cheers for the Saturn cart advice everyone!
Apparently those new All in One carts advertise being able to function as power memory at the same time as running Pseudo which the ARs can't do (couldn't?). But after looking it up there aren't that many games that can really take advantage of it.
The mod chip route isn't a bad idea but yeah, hard to come by in Japan especially in my rural area.
I'm mostly just looking for a stop gap until Satiator and something that will continue to function as a RAM expansion after that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Really getting fed up with retro computer/console gaming sites that have poo poo house customer service.

First PSIO guys take close to six months to install a mod chip, email me that it's done and that's it. No other response, even when I send them emails.

Amigastore.eu is another. Sent the order out in July, however DHL tracking says it is still in Spain. Sent an email two weeks ago with the response from Amigastore that they are looking into it, but nothing has happened since, and no replies to my emails.

:mad:

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I was waiting over 6 months before they shipped me mine. It still has audio issues to boot. I'm not exactly a happy camper.

I just finished setting up my N64RGB board updated with Borti's firmware with In-Game-Reset and the deblur all bound to button presses. It's pretty awesome and great for Everdrive functionality!

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Pharohman777 posted:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1166469373923512321

A Russian YouTuber decided to collect famicom accessories a few months back, and he stumbled upon a special game+adapter meant for a series of educational games made for schools, unavailable in retail.

So he took both to a guy who helped dump the game and the graphics table on the adapter, so now those few games made for it can be properly emulated now.

There were 3 other games that were dumped before, but didn't display text or graphics properly since so one had access to an adapter before.

Just gonna quote this from the chat thread cause it's really cool

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Booourns posted:

Just gonna quote this from the chat thread cause it's really cool

Since it’s Konami, the games have :krad: 8-bit soundtracks too.

Also of note: the adaptor uses the VRC5 chip, which I believe is the first time it’s ever been documented.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ballz posted:

Since it’s Konami, the games have :krad: 8-bit soundtracks too.

Also of note: the adaptor uses the VRC5 chip, which I believe is the first time it’s ever been documented.

Just when you thought the NES/Famicom had no more secrets to share. That is really cool.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I like how the adapter is basically a famicom 32x with all the extra crap in it

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Booourns posted:

I like how the adapter is basically a famicom 32x with all the extra crap in it

Not really. So from what I gathered from the video is the graphics for all the text is on the adaptor with the extra ram and processor. It makes sense for it to be this way as it was for education all of that stuff would be standard from cart to cart and could use the remaining cart space for graphics and whatnot. Really it is an elegant system for the time. I am kind of surprised no one else copied it in some form. Like Square could have created something akin to it for their RPGs. Something like that on the SNES for RPGs would have been a huge thing in Japan as it would have likely drawn the price down on games somewhat. Frankly now looking at the hardware from that time I have always wondered why they didn't have a built in font system in any of the 8-16 bit systems.

It is a very interesting "What If?"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Djarum posted:

Not really. So from what I gathered from the video is the graphics for all the text is on the adaptor with the extra ram and processor. It makes sense for it to be this way as it was for education all of that stuff would be standard from cart to cart and could use the remaining cart space for graphics and whatnot. Really it is an elegant system for the time. I am kind of surprised no one else copied it in some form. Like Square could have created something akin to it for their RPGs. Something like that on the SNES for RPGs would have been a huge thing in Japan as it would have likely drawn the price down on games somewhat. Frankly now looking at the hardware from that time I have always wondered why they didn't have a built in font system in any of the 8-16 bit systems.

It is a very interesting "What If?"

The unlicensed but relatively available Aladdin Deck Enhancer for the NES was similar but with the inclusion of extra graphics ram and some mapper circuitry on the cart you kept in the NES, while the minicarts that went into it could just be loaded with with per game data at a lower manufacturing cost.

Nintendo of course got quite mad and forced it off the market with the rest of Camerica's business, making it highly unappealing for other third parties to do the same concept on the SNES/SFC.

Edit: the intellivision shipped to with built in game logic firmware and game graphics including a font for games to use. However these were fairly limited so games, particularly later ones, would skip their usage almost entirely. Was real handy the first few years when only 4 kb of cartridge rom was available though. Systems like the Famicom, designed with much larger cartridge sizes in mind from the start, skipped the costs of the onboard routines and graphics in favor of using that money for more ram, better sound/graphics, and better cpu hardware for the same budgets.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 28, 2019

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

fishmech posted:

The unlicensed but relatively available Aladdin Deck Enhancer for the NES was similar but with the inclusion of extra graphics ram and some mapper circuitry on the cart you kept in the NES, while the minicarts that went into it could just be loaded with per game data at a lower manufacturing cost.

Nintendo of course got quite mad and forced it off the market with the rest of Camerica's business, making it highly unappealing for other third parties to do the same concept on the SNES/SFC.

True but Nintendo was more upset about not paying licensing royalties, circumventing the 10NES and losing out on that manufacturing control.

I am pretty sure that a licensed third party could have just got the adaptor licensed via a 10NES chip and not run afoul of Nintendo’s wrath. Granted no third party barr Square or Enix had any real use for such a device. There weren’t any other developers making enough games with that much text to justify it. And in the US and Europe, Nintendo was mostly bringing their titles out.

Like I said an interesting “What If?”.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
The new Metal Jesus Rocks video is kind of funny. He seems to discover bandwidth limits are a thing for the first time when talking about Google Stadia, and confuses the ideas of poor server connections with input lag on retro consoles. Good stuff. :)

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Digital Eclipse breaking new ground with a collection that contains zero good games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko8ey8JCpP8

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Pegnose Pete posted:

The new Metal Jesus Rocks video is kind of funny. He seems to discover bandwidth limits are a thing for the first time when talking about Google Stadia, and confuses the ideas of poor server connections with input lag on retro consoles. Good stuff. :)

It's weird that he doesn't seem to understand this stuff, I mean his background was working at a computer company years ago...

That said, I see his appeal, he's entertaining. Maybe being technical isn't part of what gets subscribers. Anyway, he seems to be a pretty big YT star, I wonder why he doesn't have just a better internet connection to begin with? I mean, he's probably uploading videos every week right?

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

XtraSmiley posted:

It's weird that he doesn't seem to understand this stuff, I mean his background was working at a computer company years ago...

That said, I see his appeal, he's entertaining. Maybe being technical isn't part of what gets subscribers. Anyway, he seems to be a pretty big YT star, I wonder why he doesn't have just a better internet connection to begin with? I mean, he's probably uploading videos every week right?

I still watch most of his videos but I definitely don't expect any technical expertise. It is strange he hasn't gone down the rabbit hole with the technical stuff. Still good for him for making a career out of it though, more than I can say for myself.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm hopelessly late for the Deadly Premonition chat on the previous page, but whatever. I think the "so bad it's good" reputation the game has is kind of inaccurate, or at least doesn't fully convey what the game is.

Yeah, it definitely looks and plays like a budget Dreamcast game that tries to rip off Twin Peaks as hard as it legally can and is just super weird and silly in general, but that's just the surface. When you actually play the thing past the admittedly awful combat tutorial -- and find ways around the fact the tacked-on combat continues to be pretty bad throughout -- it turns out to be a genuinely charming experience with surprisingly strong writing (from the guy who later did The Witness The Missing :downs:). At least that was my experience, others might still consider the entire game a mess for its many legitimate flaws.

The only part of Deadly Premonition I truly can't stand is the annoying lumber mill section which takes forever, even if you trivialize the combat with the infinite wrench of doom that you get from an early sidequest. That place has killed many attempted playthroughs.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 5, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Metal Jesus is entertaining to watch, seems like a genuinely good dude (please no metal jesus milkshake duck :pray:) and his guests are generally good as well.

Most of the technical stuff goes right over his head though, or he chooses not to explain it, one or the other. Dont watch him for technical breakdowns, watch him because he and his friends seem like pretty fun retro gamers and get genuinely enthused about it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Djarum posted:

I am pretty sure that a licensed third party could have just got the adaptor licensed via a 10NES chip and not run afoul of Nintendo’s wrath.
Except that never happened even though it easily could. Konami could manufacture their on Famicom cartridges, which is why they had custom mapper chips. Nintendo manufacturered all licensed NES cartridges, which is why all licensed titles only used Nintendo chips.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
10NES wasn't a thing with the Famicom - it never had a lockout chip. Pretty sure the story behind it's creation was to stop the exact phenomenon that had killed the video game market in the US in the first place - anyone and everyone crapflooding the market with worthless unplayable trash games.

The Famicom version of Contra has all kinds of stuff going on that we didn't get in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FadO2Eg8Jio

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Digital Eclipse breaking new ground with a collection that contains zero good games

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Aladdin was one of my absolute favorite Genesis games. I know those versions of the songs better than the ones in the movie. Holy crap!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Were you selectively blinking for extended sessions of time while watching that video? Aladdin was a great game.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

no, they already did the snk collection

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SNES Aladdin is better

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Though according to Frank Cifaldi, they're including a "patched" version of Aladdin that fixes bugs and collision detection which is cool

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Though according to Frank Cifaldi, they're including a "patched" version of Aladdin that fixes bugs and collision detection which is cool

That's really interesting. Hopefully they'll fix the ostrich section in Lion King, too.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

azurite posted:

That's really interesting. Hopefully they'll fix the ostrich section in Lion King, too.

If I ever go back, they’ll kill meeeee

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

This take is so hot that I got sunburn from reading it

In what rear end-backwards version of reality are Genesis Aladdin and The Lion King considered bad games?

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Silhouette posted:

In what rear end-backwards version of reality are Genesis Aladdin and The Lion King considered bad games?

The normal one we are in

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Silhouette posted:

Is there something I'm missing (besides the fact that people didn't like the new Aladdin and Lion King movies) that THESE are literally the only games that people actively don't want on the Switch?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Lion King has a bad rep for being stupid bonkers hard, and Aladdin is usually considered less good than the SNES version (though it's pretty debated last I checked).

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
aladdin's cool but i don't give a eff about lion king, that game stinks

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I just hate video games. :shrug:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I like Genesis Aladdin more than SNES Aladdin (which I still love, just to be absolutely clear), but the latter's absence is still kinda dumb given how heated the dick-measuring contest between the two games still is even in TYOL 2019.

If they're limiting it to Virgin's Disney games, it's weird that The Jungle Book isn't in there, being the third Virgin Disney game and all. Plus it's weirdly wildly different between the Genesis and SNES versions (very different level designs)...

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/Nintendeal/status/1166765500891688961

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That's not a typo, the Switch is the horny console now that Sony's banned everything lewd from the PS4.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Lion King has a bad rep for being stupid bonkers hard, and Aladdin is usually considered less good than the SNES version (though it's pretty debated last I checked).

I generally hear the other way around, people like Mega Drive Aladdin a lot more

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

kirbysuperstar posted:

I generally hear the other way around, people like Mega Drive Aladdin a lot more

Yeah the Genesis version has always been a lot better regarded but the SNES version has gotten some new respect in the latter years.

The Lion King is a beautiful game ruined by stupid difficulty and awful controls.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As far as I can tell, it's like this: what's your favorite version of Aladdin? Popular consensus is the other version is better.

(Unless you just answered "the Game Gear one", in which case, wow, we did it, everyone, we found the one guy who remembers there was a third version!)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I could never get past that stampede level in the Lion King game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Djarum posted:

The Lion King is a beautiful game ruined by stupid difficulty and awful controls.

I can't imagine playing lion king on switch

I mean its pretty but did everybody forget how that game plays?