Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

BlindSite posted:

Did my first session with a belt and a set of straps. I can see why they're a thing now.

Rectal Placenta posted:

Please be careful, that's how we lost David Carradine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

I got to try out flat track for the first time yesterday. Riding in circles is surprisingly fun. Despite trying to recall my Cornerspin training, I'm still pretty slow.

More interesting were some guys who showed up with Panheads that weren't afraid to send it:

This track does these "fun days" almost every weekend. It's mostly the oval, but they open up a small TT course with a jump through the infield for about an hour, and will let you take just about any bike out. So if any New England goons want to give it a shot, check it out.

Elbow's up at least. That's something. Throttle hand clearly needs some work though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That'll end really badly if he doesn't fix his chronic lean running.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

ought ten posted:

That looks like a lot of fun. Is that your own bike or can you borrow one there?

It's my dad's bike. I saw the track does a "school" every couple of weeks, so I think they have some small bikes for that. If not, it wouldn't surprise me if someone else would just let you borrow one with some notice.

builds character posted:

Elbow's up at least. That's something. Throttle hand clearly needs some work though.

I kept getting a phantom pain of something hitting my elbow if it ever dropped.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So another thing I've treated myself to alongside the new bike recently is a camera: A Nikon Z6. I haven't been into photography since high school (always considered myself more a sound guy) but I'm loving shooting with this thing.

I've gotten a few pics of bikes so far. Not enough, but a few. Most of those linked above are from one Thursday night meetup here in Toronto.

Here are some highlights:

Now this one freaked me out. As some of you might remember, my old bike - a 1988 GSX-R400 - was stolen from me about 12 years ago. When I pulled into the meet, this was the first thing I saw, and I immediately felt an adrenaline dump, like that's my loving bike. I rolled up, wondering what I was gonna say, and then noticed the different frame and the '750' on the tail, and breathed a sigh of relief. Mine was in similar - pristine - condition. In retrospect, this was really nice to see.

I also took some shots of my new Gixxer at a local water treatment plant.

She needs a wash, I know. Most of these shots (at least, the nighttime ones of the meetup) were shot with a 50mm f/1.8 lens, which I find myself using a lot as it's great for low-light and the bokeh is crazy good for portrait-distance shooting. I feel like the DoF might be a bit too razor-thin though, as you can see in some of these shots the tails of the bikes are out of focus. The other lens, which I think I used for the Gixxer shots at the waterworks, is a 24-70mm f/2.8. If there are any other shutterbugs ITT, I'd love to hear some tips about shooting bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Guys. I’m not even 40 yet and I think I really like the Goldwing. What is happening :ohdear:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Who doesnt like the goldwing?
The warning sign is when you start liking Harley Trikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m basically treating it like another car. I load up my crap, take it places and soak up miles on the highway. I have a meeting this afternoon. Toss my laptop in the side box, hop on the bike in my work clothes and head out.

It was soooooo built for that purpose and feels great doing it.

Also today I learned it has self-cancelling turn signals which in 1986 must have been black magic voodoo level stuff

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT TOUCH THE GOLDWING'S CARBS.

Randakk makes it look super easy,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB69_2j9Y4k

But the reality is, at least 50% of the time you crack into a set of those carbs, you'll never be able to get them operational again. Less so if everything isn't in perfect shape.

mewse
May 2, 2006

He cleaned the carbs already :confused:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh poo poo there was a whole 'nother page.
Congrats!

That bike makes me really want an interstate, but I've already got 3 GL1000's I need to get rid of.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m basically treating it like another car. I load up my crap, take it places and soak up miles on the highway. I have a meeting this afternoon. Toss my laptop in the side box, hop on the bike in my work clothes and head out.

It was soooooo built for that purpose and feels great doing it.

Also today I learned it has self-cancelling turn signals which in 1986 must have been black magic voodoo level stuff

The goldwing is cool and good but it just sounds like you've discovered the joy of motorcycle luggage boxes. This is a thing I've been preaching forever.

You definitely traded up on that rad beast, though. Keep posting pics and reports.

Dare I ask why goldwing carbs specifically can't be removed for service, assuming you kept them organized and did the cleaning properly? What could go wrong?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They absolutely can come out and be cleaned. You just don’t unrack them. That goes for all carbs though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They absolutely can come out and be cleaned. You just don’t unrack them. That goes for all carbs though.

Except that in the case of the GL carbs it's not even like they're a pain in the rear end to reassemble.
It's more a matter of, "is there going to be a giant vacuum leak or not?"
Getting that plenum to seal is a giant pain in the rear end, even with 1500 grit, the straightest of edges and feelers and a lot of patience.
Don't even get me started on finding seals that actually fit and o rings that don't melt immediately.

Randakk's is really the only way to go but goddamn is it expensive, for a bunch of little rubber bits.
https://www.randakks.com/randakks-own-gl1000-master-carb-overhaul-kit.html

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What exactly does unracking carbs mean/entail? I tried googling it but didn't really see anything helpful other than people saying don't do it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MomJeans420 posted:

What exactly does unracking carbs mean/entail? I tried googling it but didn't really see anything helpful other than people saying don't do it.

Multi-cylinder motorcycle carbs are just two or more identical carb bodies "bolted" together. They use linkages between them to sync the butterflies so that they open and close precisely at the same time. "Unracking" means unbolting them, which can involve some complicated linkages on carbs like on a i4 or v4. After reassembly, they have to be re-synced.

*edit* here are two sets of carbs from a VFR750F on my bench, flipped over. You can see the linkages going between them:

Unracking means complete disassembly of the whole carb rack.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 28, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They also involve like 40 rubber o-rings that seal each connection between the carbs. Guaranteed one will crap out and when you put the carbs back together and sync them they will leak fuel or air

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I put a trunk on every bike I own. Above 40L you can fit your fill face helmet, jacket and gloves. Can't beat that utility, son

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some long exposure tests. I think I need to pick my lighting and background composition better.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Some long exposure tests. I think I need to pick my lighting and background composition better.

I've always found it helpful to park the bike so the shadow is under/behind the bike instead of in the foreground.

Sometimes (a lot of the time) the ideal lighting and ideal setting/angle don't intersect. Imgur seems to have eaten all my good bike photos but with sportbikes the front quarter angle is probably the least photogenic cause it makes the fairing look bulbous and weird.

Phone pic but you get what I'm saying:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If your camera has an HDR mode, grab a tripod and give it a shot. It’s hard to get engine stuff to not be underexposed when you’re exposing for shiny and complex bodywork. A couple exposures with high smoothing will make it not obvious that it’s HDRed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Nitrox posted:

I put a trunk on every bike I own. Above 40L you can fit your fill face helmet, jacket and gloves. Can't beat that utility, son

I never take the nerdy, ugly top case off my FZ because it provides too much utility.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not

Slavvy posted:

I've always found it helpful to park the bike so the shadow is under/behind the bike instead of in the foreground.

I agree w/r/t the angle, but there's a lot of things going on in that photo that make it better than the stuff Mister Speaker's shooting.

- Figure to ground: the blank wall behind the bike that lets it stand out from its surroundings and gives you a sense of its overall shape. (Otherwise both the bike and its background are a jumble of complex shapes that don't give the eye somewhere to land). This is probably the most important thing and what make's speaker's photos kind of meh at the moment.
- No lens distortion - the photographer's back far enough that the bike's not being warped by the width of the lens.
- Height relative to the subject - the photographer's crouched down low enough that we're viewing the bike at its level rather than below or above it, where it either looks small and pathetic or fat and ungainly.
- Enough space around the bike that it doesn't crowd the entire frame.

Mister Speaker, if you want your photos to be more better, compose them so there's nothing intersecting their outline in the background (other bikes, cars, buildings, whatever), take a couple of steps back, and crouch lower.

[edited for clarity because I'm hungover af]

prukinski fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 29, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I would do that, but I'm too addicted to the long exposure motion blur. :P

Thanks for the advice guys, cool stuff. I also noticed (and a photog friend pointed this out) that I should be shooting a little on the underexposed side; some of the background white is blown out and most of that can be adjusted for in post if I'm deliberately underexposing. Also some shot composition stuff, and use of saturation and vibrance to bring out the colour.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mister Speaker posted:

I also noticed (and a photog friend pointed this out) that I should be shooting a little on the underexposed side; some of the background white is blown out and most of that can be adjusted for in post if I'm deliberately underexposing.

I don’t mean to belabor my point, but this is exactly what onboard HDR is meant for and can keep you from having to mess with in post. I shoot on a D5100 and it’s excellent at doing that for landscapes in the evening without making it obvious. The downside is that it’s difficult to tell how well it’s working on the little screen on the camera.
If your camera doesn’t have the function, it’s moot though.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

If your camera doesn’t have the function, it’s moot though.

Couldn't you just do it the old fashioned way by bracketing your shots and compositing?

Mister Speaker posted:

Keep playing with composition in general - back away from the subject (you'll probably get more use out of that zoom lens than the 50mm prime), play with its placement in the frame, and as mentioned watch your exposure everywhere, not just the bike. We've all seen black GSX-Rs, you need to create a sense of motion or place it in a scene with visual interest. The only reason anyone will look at 6 photos of the same bike at medium distance in center frame is when they're attached to a post on Craigslist.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I looked it up and the Z6 will to in-camera HDR but oddly only if you're shooting in JPG. I think there's an option to save all the exposures as NEF/RAW so you can do it manually though. Honestly, I still don't really 'get' HDR.

Composition is something I've always sort of prided myself on, insofar as before I got this camera I'd use my phone and make sure the frame is full and the subject is 100% visible. Using a real camera for the first time since 11th grade, I'm quickly realizing there's more to it than that. I want to get the bike as big as possible in the frame but that doesn't tell much of a story, does it?

Jazzzzz posted:

The only reason anyone will look at 6 photos of the same bike at medium distance in center frame is when they're attached to a post on Craigslist.

:discourse:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They also involve like 40 rubber o-rings that seal each connection between the carbs. Guaranteed one will crap out and when you put the carbs back together and sync them they will leak fuel or air

Gorson posted:

*edit* here are two sets of carbs from a VFR750F on my bench, flipped over. You can see the linkages going between them:

OK that sounds like a huge PITA, I take it most of the work you're going to do on them doesn't involve unracking them?

Would you have the same problem on something like a 240Z with triple carbs?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

MomJeans420 posted:

OK that sounds like a huge PITA, I take it most of the work you're going to do on them doesn't involve unracking them?

Would you have the same problem on something like a 240Z with triple carbs?

Yeah, a carb "rebuild" is just taking off the float bowls and replacing those gaskets, o rings, and float needle. The jets are also there. I would guess a 240z would have a similar set up with linkages requiring a sync. On old cars most people simplify this with a more modern single carb conversion kit.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I unracked the carbs on an 86 Concours. It went fine, I don’t see what the fuss is about, just clean them and replace sketchy looking rubber as you go.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I can definitely understand some carbs having much more finicky mechanisms than others.

That said, I unracked the carbs on my XJ600 so that I could replace every rubber bit and hopefully never touch them again (it worked). Also, it was the only way to dip them in the gallon can of Berryman's I bought for the job. Re-racking them was fine. I bench synched them with ball bearings, and then finished them up with a pair of manometers (synching 1 and 2, then 3 and 4, then 2 and 3). Aside from breaking 2 out of 4 emulsion tubes, it was a pretty simple process, just tedious. They ran wonderfully for years until I sold the bike a few months ago.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I bench synched them with ball bearings,

New technique detected. What is this?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slide Hammer posted:

For an I4.

Rerack the carbs, and set them intake side down on a flat surface. Drop a ball bearing into the carb opening so it rolls to the lowest point on the butterfly. As slowly as you can, open the throttle. The goal is for all the ball bearings to drop through and hit the table simultaneously. So when the first bearing drops, you back that set screw off a little and repeat until carbs 1 and 2 drop simultaneously and then 3 and 4 drop simultaneously (because the set screws are paired 1&2, 3&4, 2&3). Then when you have 1&2 and 3&4 paired, pairing 2&3 should by extension pair 1&4 and all 4 will be opening the butterflies precisely together. If you have really steady hands, you can even catch the BBs before they hit the table and really get precise.

This gets you in the ballpark. Because of differences in valves, it's really improbable that carbs will both be synched to engine aspiration and themselves. So once you synch them all to each other, it's much easier to synch them to the cylinders rather than chasing vacuum pressures around without knowing where they started relative to each other.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RadioPassive posted:

I unracked the carbs on an 86 Concours. It went fine, I don’t see what the fuss is about, just clean them and replace sketchy looking rubber as you go.

Inline four =/= vee four.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

oh poo poo there was a whole 'nother page.
Congrats!

That bike makes me really want an interstate, but I've already got 3 GL1000's I need to get rid of.

I have a perfectly good driveway that can be used as a dumping ground. Especially if they have the Vetter boxes.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slide Hammer posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a valve. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the valve is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls into the cylinder. Carbs work the same way.

AMISH FRIED PIES fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 30, 2019

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

Imagine four balls on the edge of a valve. Say a direct copy of the ball nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of balls and takes the place of the first ball. The formerly first ball becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth falls into the cylinder. Carbs work the same way.
:perfect:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FUUUUUUUCK YOU PO

Was this stupid thing:

Really worth all this bullshit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Active aero, GSXR-1000 powered quad hill climb that keeps trying to throw the operater into a tree trunk or ditch.

:catstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbYdNyslMes