Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm still getting local labour emails despite cancelling my direct debit a million years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

I'm still getting local labour emails despite cancelling my direct debit a million years ago

Yeah, that's what they do

And trust me you can't unsubscribe, all you can do is set up countless rules to send them all direct to the bin

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Kill Bristol posted:

Why are they so opposed to Corbyn being PM for a couple months while the caretaker government holds elections? It’s not like he can enact sweeping policy changes with him being on only by a razor thin margin, one contingent on him agreeing to be only a caretaker, can he?

Because the images of Corbyn as PM being all statesmanlike and responsible all over the news media torpedoes the image they're trying to cultivate of him.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Nocturtle posted:

Wouldn't the LibDems voting against a VONC be against even their own self-interest? Especially in the event of a no-deal Brexit their supporters are going to remember they torpedoed the last chance to avoid the worst possible outcome. It's really hard to understand their position except that they're bluffing. Is there a chance Corbyn pushes for a VONC and dares them to vote against it?

They'll vote for the VONC itself, but there's a difference between the that and what comes after. In order for it to have any effect, it needs to be followed by Corbyn becoming caretaker PM and the possibility of a general election that Corbyn could win. That's what they can't vote for, because shy Tories gonna Tory.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah, that's what they do

And trust me you can't unsubscribe, all you can do is set up countless rules to send them all direct to the bin

It's okay it makes me feel like a spy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They don't get a choice, they have to either vote Boris back in or a GE is automatic.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
also loving lmao at two corbyn usernames discussing not being in labour any more

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're all counterrevolutionaries.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I'm double revolutionary

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
When I get paid I'm changing my username to Continuity RCP

I'm currently drinking the last pint of my previous payday

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Revolutionary Corbynist Tendency

e: ^^ splitter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless you literally can't afford the fee you should be in the labour party because that gives you internal votes.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
how’d da protest

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Guavanaut posted:

Revolutionary Corbynist Tendency

e: ^^ splitter

I've got a copy of the RCTs first publication

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
buy my newspaper

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

also loving lmao at two corbyn usernames discussing not being in labour any more

lol

actually I resubscribed a few weeks ago and in fact, next week I'm going to my first labour event: a vindaloo with john mcdonnell!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

bump_fn posted:

how’d da protest

I dunno how'd da protest with you?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

seems like cheating to use two where one’s already derived from the other

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

It'll be some poor local arm-twisted-into-doing-it branch secretary using their own email system (because frankly the Organize system is not working properly even if you've got access to it - it is very buggy at the moment) who may be not very skilled with IT and just reusing the same email addresses over again without ever downloading a fresh list from members net and will have no idea you've stopped paying / quit the party. At least My Friend a branch secretary downloads a fresh list from members net every month and also manually removes email addresses where asked by local members (and deletes deceased members if anyone bothers to tell her).

Source: A Friend.

Labour Party office administration - especially Welsh Labour - is abysmal. You have 1 or 2 people at national level servicing half a million members. At CLP and branch level everything is done by volunteers who may or may not have much technical skill.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 28, 2019

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I've got a copy of the RCTs first publication

Publication 1 looks too intense for me

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Mate if you think the Irish government have a loving clue what they are doing I've got some bad news for you.

This is the government that let apple off the hook on their tax bill until the EU stepped in.

Also the government who sent untrained teachers put in positions of power in gov to negotiate deals with the EU

We also let companies off their tax bill and run literal tax havens overseas where we're the government and refuse to do anything about it. We also appointed honest to god circus clowns to negotiate with the EU, one of who escaped from the circus afterwards and somehow ended up as prime minster, so.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Publication 1 looks too intense for me

Much, much more boring than it looks

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Oh, well then, I want to go on something more thrilling than Publication 1

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Oh, well then, I want to go on something more thrilling than Publication 1

I hear good things about #2

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

WhatEvil posted:

I dunno, Lib Dem supporters currently don't seem to be remembering all the dumb poo poo they did in coalition so...

More seriously recent polling showed something like 70% of LD supporters want them to support Corbyn's plan so actually you're probably right.

I'd be interested to see this polling if you know where you saw it?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Off topic - any of you computer touchers on here recommend a GUI for MySQL. I used to use MS Access 97. I've tried Libre Base but it just crashes constantly and is Very Annoying.
I was thinking maybe time to go on MySQL but a GUI would be nice. (PS Windows 10)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Unless you literally can't afford the fee you should be in the labour party because that gives you internal votes.
Listen, until Corbyn nationalises Blizzard, I have bills to pay.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Wasted opportunity to call it Ching Kong, IMO

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Okay, I renewed. I have no will of my own

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I was going to type out a big effort post in response to jobchat as well as touching on Diktator Bojo, but I found out this afternoon that it looks like I’m going to be a father.

We’re going to try and get confirmation due to the minute chance of a false positive before we tell family and friends.

I didn’t realise it was possible to be so thrilled and at the same time completely terrified.

I had the exact Same feeling three years ago. My wife and I had our final Lamaze class on Election Day 2016 and we came home as results stateside were coming in. The orange Buffoon somehow squeezed enough swing states to win and our world view shattered. My wife cried so much about the world we going to be raising our daughter into and I grew numb. I had no idea what to do...

My daughter was born a few months later and a fire built up inside of me. Holding her in my arms made me swear never let crap like this happen again without a fight. I owed her that much. A year and a half later I found myself on the ballot for local politics I failed but hey for a first time going in blind a close 4th with 3 spots open on the ballot isn’t bad! and a current precinct chair for my area. Things are still poo poo and very well still could be after 2020 elections here but after I held my daughter in my arms I knew I couldn’t sit there and take it. When your kid is born and the passion I’ve seen from posters on this sub forum I’m certain you will be amazing for your kid and do whatever it takes to give them the best life. If you ever need to chat about things my inbox is open.

Hang in there bud. :glomp:

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Pochoclo posted:

Wasted opportunity to call it Ching Kong, IMO

Say it out loud.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1166784476552335365

If we do (peacefully) invade Ireland can we nationalise ISF to replace the BBC please?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Bojo is really making GBS threads it, isn't he :laugh:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Off topic - any of you computer touchers on here recommend a GUI for MySQL. I used to use MS Access 97. I've tried Libre Base but it just crashes constantly and is Very Annoying.
I was thinking maybe time to go on MySQL but a GUI would be nice. (PS Windows 10)

I've had mostly good experiences with Navicat. I use it on MacOS, but can't imagine the Windows version would be much different.

Only crashes I've experienced lately have been the occasional one when I try to terminate the app anyway with multiple unsaved query tabs open.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I feel like a Marxist-Jezzinist should really be a currently paid up member tbqh

Edit: oh you did. Good job comrade!

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 28, 2019

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What do you actually want to do a) with the database and b) with the UI?

If you want something to help you manage and visualise the database MySQL Workbench is the default reply but it suffers from FOSS Disease in assuming you're already a power user and presenting you with a billion very powerful and useful tools and no loving indication of which one might be useful.

If you're talking about a UI slapped over a database to handle the queries then you've got about a billion choices.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

feedmegin posted:

I feel like a Marxist-Jezzinist should really be a currently paid up member tbqh

Edit: oh you did. Good job comrade!

I'm not a labourist but I'm very suggestible

E: this username has been troublesome

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

On the train home I saw someone had left a copy of the Evening Standard so I had a flick through and saw their political cartoon. I love the way they have such hope when a new PM comes in. Wasn't May supposed to crush the saboteurs and take control while giving the EU a good smacking? That went well. Wonder how long it will be before Bojo lets everyone down in their eyes.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

crispix posted:

Bojo is really making GBS threads it, isn't he :laugh:

According to Ttump hes doing great! :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Uncle Wemus posted:

According to Ttump hes doing great! :patriot:

Surest sign yet that he is making GBS threads it hard.