Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
My second fort is cursed. I saw a evil mountain next to a good forest and decided that would be fun, but now wagons just immediately explode on entering the map (but drop all their junk) and I have three barons from people who inherited it from other sites. The loathesome slime rain doesn't seem to actually hurt the dwarves at all, but it does make them get horrorified randomly later and make them think they're injured from time to time.

I think I am going to, uh, pocket that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

My favorite fort I ever made was a shoreline volcano where I built my fort on the sea and made obsidian islands by pouring lava into the sea. I wish there was an easy way to find weird embarks like that.

I also miss random surface lava pools.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I almost only exclusively make forts on sites straddling good and evil biomes

gotta have that variety

but sometimes I just go for a good ol' Terrifying glacier

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Sankis posted:

My favorite fort I ever made was a shoreline volcano where I built my fort on the sea and made obsidian islands by pouring lava into the sea. I wish there was an easy way to find weird embarks like that.

I also miss random surface lava pools.

They're still around if you really hunt hard for them.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I miss the old chasms, pits and volcanoes. Much easier to find interesting embarks when those were on the map.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv9fh18wfewc3zk/cool%20volcano%20pillar%20backup.zip?dl=0 here's a cool surfaceish lava tube embark. Also the world it's on is kinda nuts and the metals on the map are fun.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I really wish Toady would spend a few minutes making volcanos / lava tubes not perfectly straight cylinders carved into the ground with no concern for the surrounding terrain.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

oh now you've done it, now toady is researching and implementing the entirety of tectonic shifting into the game

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sankis posted:

I wish there was an easy way to find weird embarks like that.
Can the embark-assistant in DFHack mix enough flags together that you could require a volcano and ocean biome in the same 4x4 area or something?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The secret to getting volcanoes in geologically improbable locations is to go into the Volcanism Mesh Size settings and make it so that the game only generates minimum and maximum volcanic zones.

Screenshot since it's hard to describe exactly what I'm talking about otherwise:

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does that have the same effect for savagery?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want an evil volcano next to a serene beach with a waterfall and river running into the sea

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Shibawanko posted:

I want an evil volcano next to a serene beach with a waterfall and river running into the sea

ah yes, the 'winter heating the room with my CPU' embark

That does sound rad, though. Mermaids and Sunshine and Fire Imps and Syndrome Rain. Refreshing.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

ah yes, the 'winter heating the room with my CPU' embark

That does sound rad, though. Mermaids and Sunshine and Fire Imps and Syndrome Rain. Refreshing.

Magma Mermen

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

Does that have the same effect for savagery?

I don't think it works quite as cleanly as volcanoes, at least. I still got areas that were marked "Wilderness" when I tried it, so I assume there's some kind of blending or recalculating that applies to savagery but not to actual magma tubes / volcanoes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

you'll get a gently caress ton of rejections and a fair amount of your volcanos will be spent up in the middle of mountain ranges, unfortunately.

still gets you a bunch, but you'll have to take a while before you get a working one

savagery will probably get you more rejections as civs don't like appearing in savage areas.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Anyone found a cenote in-game? I might jump in again to test out my new machine and I'm looking for something scenic to build my fort around.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I mean that's basically a cavern

you can search for extreme cliffs but outside of caverns I don't think anything spawns in with a "roof" overhead and stuff like that

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cenotes don't have roofs because they collapsed. I don't think there's anything like that naturally in DF, but you can find a lake in a cavern and strip mine everything above it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Xand_Man posted:

Anyone found a cenote in-game? I might jump in again to test out my new machine and I'm looking for something scenic to build my fort around.

I get the impression that erosion softens the edges of whatever holes it makes. You can however mess with the cave generation settings enough that you have a nice big hole, like, one layer below the ground. I've been surprised with how quickly I've bumped into stuff like that after tweaking with some knobs.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

For some reason I keep getting clothed, sentient, mountain goats as scholars and such.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Probably related to the bug that kept giving me horse soldiers during human invasions.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Please crosspost that to the game glitches thread.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Goats are people too ya know!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

horse soldiers

did they have weapons?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Angry Diplomat posted:

Please crosspost that to the game glitches thread.

Linkie? Didn't know there was one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jazerus posted:

did they have weapons?

Nope. They had soldier-like AI and weren't mounts, but they didn't have weapons or uniforms.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Have you been modding? This looks like the typical effect of duplicated RAWs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Yes to modding, but I also check my error logs whenever something weird happens and per that article duplicated creature raws always throw an error at startup; the only error I had in that save was a missing reference to Giant Cave Spider egg materials.

Overnight Blaze
Mar 7, 2017

Yooper posted:

Linkie? Didn't know there was one.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3493510&perpage=40

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Speaking of goats - Is anyone having issues with animal persons as citizens? My mountain goat man keeps going into starvation and hardly ever seems to eat for whatever reason.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dante posted:

Speaking of goats - Is anyone having issues with animal persons as citizens? My mountain goat man keeps going into starvation and hardly ever seems to eat for whatever reason.

Gotta give them a pasture, something green to look forward too

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Yooper posted:

For some reason I keep getting clothed, sentient, mountain goats as scholars and such.

I kept reading that and failing to understand what was strange about it because animal people can do all that. So it's literally a mountain goat, not a mountain goat person?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Can you get plump helmet men scholars visiting your tavern to drink plump helmet beer.

I always picture plump helmet men as the mushroom guys from Secret of Mana

Has anyone here ever managed to capture ocean creatures and use them for stuff? I've never really seriously tried a seaside embark. Is it possible to somehow capture sea creatures alive and then use them in, say, a shark pool for your prisoners?

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Aug 30, 2019

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yes, but IIRC it's extremely annoying. The infamous Mermaid Bone Harvesting Operation involved having to specifically get the mermaids over a cagetrap, but not in too deep of water, without managing to air-drown them, which was a not insignificant engineering challenge. Slightly easier would be to use amphibious creatures for it, saltwater crocodiles, giant crabs, etc, because you could at least theoretically catch them on land.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I kept reading that and failing to understand what was strange about it because animal people can do all that. So it's literally a mountain goat, not a mountain goat person?

It was just a mountain goat, not a mountain goat man. Had it been a mountain goat man I'd have named him William.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Yooper posted:

It was just a mountain goat, not a mountain goat man. Had it been a mountain goat man I'd have named him William.

Well, people always joked that the AI would become sentient at some point. Guess starting with philosopher-scientist mountain goat's is as good a place as any.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hey all. I've got a couple questions if that's okay. I've got very little personal experience with DF outside of Boatmurdered and a couple other retellings of the goings-on(and Gnomoria, the abandoned, extremely basic knockoff of DF), and was recently recommended Kruggsmash on youtube who has excellent DF LP's that he expertly edits and includes really great drawings of the goings-on, artifacts, characters, etc. I just finished up the Monsterkiller playthrough, and wanted to ask even if it destroys the illusion(since the final episode is largely done in drawings and has a "unique" ending since I at least know the fortress doesn't really work the way he set it up to work in the storyline he had), is there a clearly-defined reason for the fall of his fortress? It seemed like things were going very well and then abruptly everyone started getting depressed/sad/enraged and he couldn't seem to do anything to fix it? Was there a specific reason for the collapse or is it eventually just simply impossible to keep the dwarfs happy? I THINK the trigger point might've been when he forgot to turn off the Ballista Crew and wound up obliterating half a dozen dwarves who were cleaning up the recent goblin siege with ballista bolts or maybe the one he suggested it might be, keeping that giant fire-breathing skinless bat Forgotten Beast in a big room with a viewing window that dwarves could see it from, not sure if that would actually cause it or not though. He already had a "pet" Giant Weevil Forgotten Beast in a cell smack dab in the middle of the fortress and it didn't seem to cause any stress.

Also, another question, have they given any indication of a release date for the steam version of DF? That looks intriguing, I didn't even know it was a thing until the other day. Will they be adding like, mouse UI at all or will it just be the same keyboard-only stuff just with a fresh visual coat of paint?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

I THINK the trigger point might've been when he forgot to turn off the Ballista Crew and wound up obliterating half a dozen dwarves who were cleaning up the recent goblin siege with ballista bolts

it was probably this

dwarves who lose friends and relatives can become very stressed very rapidly. a dwarf who is very stressed can sometimes flip out and start fights and break things. if a dwarf who is a legendary warrior that has dedicated themselves to the art of combat flips out and starts a fight with someone who is fat and makes cheese for a living(or vice versa), the cheesemaker tends to die violently, as well as anyone who comes to the cheesemaker's aid. Now all the people who were friends or relatives of the cheeseman are now also incredibly upset and can also begin starting fights with people, some of whom may die and set off EVEN MORE people. Now everyone is fighting everyone else.This is called a Tantrum Spiral, and is a fairly standard end for a fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey all. I've got a couple questions if that's okay. I've got very little personal experience with DF outside of Boatmurdered and a couple other retellings of the goings-on(and Gnomoria, the abandoned, extremely basic knockoff of DF), and was recently recommended Kruggsmash on youtube who has excellent DF LP's that he expertly edits and includes really great drawings of the goings-on, artifacts, characters, etc. I just finished up the Monsterkiller playthrough, and wanted to ask even if it destroys the illusion(since the final episode is largely done in drawings and has a "unique" ending since I at least know the fortress doesn't really work the way he set it up to work in the storyline he had), is there a clearly-defined reason for the fall of his fortress? It seemed like things were going very well and then abruptly everyone started getting depressed/sad/enraged and he couldn't seem to do anything to fix it? Was there a specific reason for the collapse or is it eventually just simply impossible to keep the dwarfs happy? I THINK the trigger point might've been when he forgot to turn off the Ballista Crew and wound up obliterating half a dozen dwarves who were cleaning up the recent goblin siege with ballista bolts or maybe the one he suggested it might be, keeping that giant fire-breathing skinless bat Forgotten Beast in a big room with a viewing window that dwarves could see it from, not sure if that would actually cause it or not though. He already had a "pet" Giant Weevil Forgotten Beast in a cell smack dab in the middle of the fortress and it didn't seem to cause any stress.

Also, another question, have they given any indication of a release date for the steam version of DF? That looks intriguing, I didn't even know it was a thing until the other day. Will they be adding like, mouse UI at all or will it just be the same keyboard-only stuff just with a fresh visual coat of paint?

One bad thing leads to the next. Rarely is the giant or the siege the cause of my fortress death but that terrible spiral into everyone tantruming. Now they won't clean up corpses, cook, help the wounded, so one by one my fort is slipping into depression and madness. Temples and libraries really have helped but if anything it's just prolonging the inevitable.