Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

spectralent posted:

Basically it's South Park's fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

spectralent posted:

Basically it's South Park's fault.

And we're back to the great man history model.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd like to propose my Mediocre Men Theory of history and how they affect change for the worse.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

moths posted:

I'd like to propose my Mediocre Men Theory of history and how they affect change for the worse.

I don´t quite remember where it was from, but I do remember reading a historical theory about how everything is getting worse constantly, and only societal pressure upon the ill elements is keeping the decay from collapsing the system, but the strain to do so to the individual is increasing every time, until at one point or another, the system inevitably collapses. By that idea, we´ll continue to see lovely behaviour until the pushback has become itself lovely behaviour and everything will regress. Damnit, where the f**** did I read this?...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Thranguy posted:

And we're back to the great man history model.
Well it's kind of true, in the sense that South Park is kind of a model for a lot of this stuff. Viz. "South Park Republican" and so on. If the South Park guys hadn't been hired to do South Park, or if they had farted their own butts out, there would have probably been something broadly similar -- but it is not impossible that specific elements that they advocated and pushed would not have been so prominent.

It is very likely there would have been some gross manbaby cartoon character; but there was no fundamental need for it to be Cartman.

Anyway, nothing in particular will stop the bad-faith actors from acting in bad faith, other than defeat. I would say one way you could deal with it is to have some kind of metric on how much bandwidth, so to speak, you should give to them in the rhetorical space. (i.e. if you are spending more than X% of your time thinking about the chud response to a certain course of action, probably do less of that.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I'm with Nessus, I suspect negating the existence of South Park wouldn't have prevented "U Mad Bro" from coming into being as the death knell of compassion and intellectual honesty it is. There were a lot of actors moving in the same direction with a similar message in that particular time period, one of them would probably have stepped in to fill the gap for petulent entitled shitheads.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

South Park once had more cultural cachet than maybe any other show on the entire planet. For about a year you couldn't walk past any knick knack shop without seeing knockoff South Park merch. Obviously that popularity faded but I think saying anyone with a platform that massive had a hand in shaping the culture isn't so much the great man theory of history as understanding the power of mass media to influence politics.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Lurdiak posted:

South Park once had more cultural cachet than maybe any other show on the entire planet. For about a year you couldn't walk past any knick knack shop without seeing knockoff South Park merch. Obviously that popularity faded but I think saying anyone with a platform that massive had a hand in shaping the culture isn't so much the great man theory of history as understanding the power of mass media to influence politics.

I’m not entirely blaming it on them, but you can pretty much laser pinpoint the rise of “ironic” verbal racism to the first few seasons of South Park, especially anti Semitic jokes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Loomis passing is still just such a cringe for posterity considering all he pulled off even if he managed to hang in there a fair while---exactly how many of the formative pioneers are even left at this point? A dozen or so tops?

There might be a dozen people left who played proto-D&D with Gygax or Arneson.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I’m not entirely blaming it on them, but you can pretty much laser pinpoint the rise of “ironic” verbal racism to the first few seasons of South Park, especially anti Semitic jokes.

It was pretty drat fun being Jewish at that time, let me tell you. Had to slap a few friends, fortunately most of them came around.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

They literally imported bullying gingers into the US, that wasn't even a specific thing here when I was a kid and then South Park does an episode and suddenly kids are identifying that as something to bully each other with.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Loomis passing is still just such a cringe for posterity considering all he pulled off even if he managed to hang in there a fair while---exactly how many of the formative pioneers are even left at this point? A dozen or so tops?

I’m on the road so just heard about it. Sucks, but if you have cancer and go to the ICU it rarely has a positive outcome.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Bruceski posted:

It was pretty drat fun being Jewish at that time, let me tell you. Had to slap a few friends, fortunately most of them came around.

Yeah, I grew up in a small rural town with literally zero Jews: antisemetism wasn’t even a thing, not because people weren’t bigots, but because it was so far off everyone’s radar that it didn’t come up. And then a couple of years after South Park, all the little teenage shitheads were “don’t be a Jew” this and that.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Actually, I would attribute this more to teenage boys being inherently lovely rather than South Park. Part of me is less thinking it's inherent shittiness and more of a general lack of appreciation or awareness of boundaries/limits, though - and that's not something that's new to the world since South Park was invented.

Regardless - even though South Park existed, it never spread anti-semitic shittiness faster than the educational video "To Jew Is Not A Verb" that they showed us in 8th grade. Up until then, we didn't even know it was a derogatory slur (it's synonymous with 'to gyp' which tells you how European the term is). But once kids in my grade heard it, it entered the lexicon.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Yeah, I grew up in a small rural town with literally zero Jews: antisemetism wasn’t even a thing, not because people weren’t bigots, but because it was so far off everyone’s radar that it didn’t come up. And then a couple of years after South Park, all the little teenage shitheads were “don’t be a Jew” this and that.
I had the opposite experience. My class in the Chicago suburbs was probably 15-20% Jewish and I didn't even realize antisemitism was a thing until we studied nazis, and then I only thought it was a dead historical thing that stopped existing as of WW2.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

I had the opposite experience. My class in the Chicago suburbs was probably 15-20% Jewish and I didn't even realize antisemitism was a thing until we studied nazis, and then I only thought it was a dead historical thing that stopped existing as of WW2.

Yeah, the American history class basically made Nazis into a sort of mythical creature that once existed but now America got rid of all of them and they don't exist any more and antisemitism has been solved.

I firmly believe that this greatly helped the current Nazis get to their current position in America.

e: like, even my friends only started to understand why I had such an aversion to Nazi villains played for comedy in our RPG stuff in, like, the very end of the 2016 election cycle.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah, the American history class basically made Nazis into a sort of mythical creature that once existed but now America got rid of all of them and they don't exist any more and antisemitism has been solved.
I forgot to note that I am An Old, and South Park wasn't even a thing until I was, I think, in college - back when people were passing around bootleg VHS copies of The Spirit of Christmas. High school was basically '90-'93 for me.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

South Park didn't arise from nothing, but it also didn't speak to nothing. I think it's frankly weird to dilute the specific forms of its blatantly demonstrated bigotry that were absolutely mirrored by its audience as "well teenagers were going to do that anyway." Yes, some form of antisemitism is pretty much always popular, but I never heard "to Jew" nearly as much until South Park blew up, and I never heard about soulless gingers at all. South Park wasn't a singular cause of bigotry, but it definitely had a huge cultural impact, as much on "acceptable" and thus more widespread forms of bigotry and petulant nihilism as viewership numbers at Comedy Central.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

LuiCypher posted:

Actually, I would attribute this more to teenage boys being inherently lovely rather than South Park. Part of me is less thinking it's inherent shittiness and more of a general lack of appreciation or awareness of boundaries/limits, though - and that's not something that's new to the world since South Park was invented.

Regardless - even though South Park existed, it never spread anti-semitic shittiness faster than the educational video "To Jew Is Not A Verb" that they showed us in 8th grade. Up until then, we didn't even know it was a derogatory slur (it's synonymous with 'to gyp' which tells you how European the term is). But once kids in my grade heard it, it entered the lexicon.

Yeah, I deal with a lot of teenage boys and they're shitheads for the most part. South Park just gave (or gives) them something to use to be horrible to other people.

Also there's a bit of anti-semetic comments in Family Guy too. Along with the other garbage in that show.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rhandhali posted:

I’m on the road so just heard about it. Sucks, but if you have cancer and go to the ICU it rarely has a positive outcome.

Who's Loomis?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Arivia posted:

Who's Loomis?

Rick Loomis, one of the founders of Flying Buffalo Games, who publish Tunnels and Trolls. He's also the one who made Grimtooth's Traps, plus a bunch of other stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

senrath posted:

Rick Loomis, one of the founders of Flying Buffalo Games, who publish Tunnels and Trolls. He's also the one who made Grimtooth's Traps, plus a bunch of other stuff.

Oh, that's a shame. RIP dude. :smith:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

LuiCypher posted:

I learned all my curse words in first grade, when classmates shared what their Sunday school had told them not to say.

Mors Rattus posted:

The Civil War happened, and it was very sad, and then slavery was Ended Forever.
The Great Depression happened, and it was very sad, and then poverty was Ended Forever.
The Holocaust happened, and it was very sad, and then fascism was Ended Forever.
The Civil Rights Movement happened, and it was very sad, and then racism was Ended Forever.

I sometimes wonder how I would have seen the world differently if our high school history teachers weren't where they shoved the sports coaches and instead had people with something to say. I mean, Mr Montano was great and did a good job of showing these things as more than single-issue conflicts (I think all I learned from my other history teacher was various geography puns), but they'd still get wrapped up with a tidy bow at the end of the segment.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Bruceski posted:

The Civil War happened, and it was very sad, and then slavery was Ended Forever.
The Great Depression happened, and it was very sad, and then poverty was Ended Forever.
The Holocaust happened, and it was very sad, and then fascism was Ended Forever.
The Civil Rights Movement happened, and it was very sad, and then racism was Ended Forever.

Pretty sure the only reason they teach it this way is that they WANT people to continue being fascists for the next generation of white people.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

TheNamedSavior posted:

Pretty sure the only reason they teach it this way is that they WANT people to continue being fascists for the next generation of white people.

I think that affords a level of self-awareness and intent that the US as a culture has amply demonstrated it does not possess.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Ah, the James Gunn Effect which did not exactly work out for ol' Crazy Mikey C as he had hoped.

What happened here? I hadn't heard anything beyond 'James Gunn got fired'.

Bruceski posted:

I sometimes wonder how I would have seen the world differently if our high school history teachers weren't where they shoved the sports coaches and instead had people with something to say. I mean, Mr Montano was great and did a good job of showing these things as more than single-issue conflicts (I think all I learned from my other history teacher was various geography puns), but they'd still get wrapped up with a tidy bow at the end of the segment.

My last year of High School got me a gym coach history teacher who basically was like "Okay so... I don't have any training in this, so let's learn together." and he was one of my favorite teachers.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kchama posted:

What happened here? I hadn't heard anything beyond 'James Gunn got fired'.

He got rehired. That's about all there is to it, because no one besides the right-wing trying to make a scapegoat out of him gave a poo poo in the first place.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It also underscored that maybe, just maybe these guys aren't actually all into free speech. Not that it mattered, since it's obvious to everyone.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arivia posted:

He got rehired. That's about all there is to it, because no one besides the right-wing trying to make a scapegoat out of him gave a poo poo in the first place.

Not only did Gunn get rehired to work for Marvel, he also got to direct a big budget picture for DC with Suicide Squad. And was probably never really let go in the first place. So he got, like, double hired.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Not only did Gunn get rehired to work for Marvel, he also got to direct a big budget picture for DC with Suicide Squad. And was probably never really let go in the first place. So he got, like, double hired.

Specifically the upcoming Suicide Squad, not the one that came out only a couple years ago.

The next Suicide Squad might be good!

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

This sure is a bad look.

it loving funded

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
loving

gently caress

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Was there ever a question? The grift goes on.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Specifically the upcoming Suicide Squad, not the one that came out only a couple years ago.
The next Suicide Squad might be good!

Yeah, The Suicide Squad, not Suicide Squad.

I'm not holding my breath.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

S.D. posted:

it loving funded

Of course it did. There are many Matt McFarlands out there who need to convince themselves they are not as bad as Matt McFarland, even Matt McFarland.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

:siren: IF ANY DEV GOONS HAVE ANY SHITE STORED AT KRAKEN PRINT, GET THAT SHITE RIGHT loving NOW, AS THEIR LEASE ISN'T PAID AND THEY WILL SELL YOUR CRAP IF YOU DON'T CLAIM IT! :siren:

https://twitter.com/Iron_Spike/status/1169454959684968449

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So my shite is safe, but my crap is in danger?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
So to make a long story short Pathfinder Organized Play was amply aware Bill Web was an issue and decided to continue supporting a convention. This culminated with one of Bill Webb's employees at the convention whining about how it's unfair the treatment Zak got you know for raping someone. And the scary part is that this means that Bill Webb is potentially being babysat by a guy who still supports Zak.
Edit:
Also, said employee supports a neo Nazi.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 11, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MadScientistWorking posted:

So to make a long story short Pathfinder Organized Play was amply aware Bill Web was an issue and decided to continue supporting a convention. This culminated with one of Bill Webb's employees at the convention whining about how it's unfair the treatment Zak got you know for raping someone. And the scary part is that this means that Bill Webb is potentially being babysat by a guy who still supports Zak.
Edit:
Also, said employee supports a neo Nazi.

Got any links on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Toshimo posted:

Got any links on this?
Not the organized play part. I am loving pissed off at how we handled this situation. The sheer loving arrogance of however that situation got handled is staggering. And I don't loving know why they choose this way. I was skeptical at the time too and said it might backfire horrendously but I didn't loving want that.

And their are so many unanswered questions. People wondered if Paizo didn't like the situation and refused to send a guest. And their there are other harassment issues at play which supposedly Paizo investigated but I doubt it.

And just as an addendum I am only doing this because I care about this part of the community. I'll post the neonazi stuff later because I'm not at a computer but the Nazi stuff is Macris