Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Haha I JUST played through BG1 as a Shaman, on my tablet, but don't think I can get the character from Android to PC. Maybe it is worth creating a similar shaman and experiencing it high level, if there's consensus in here it's a more fun and interesting play than a Wiz Slayer?

You can totally copy between Android and PC, currently playing bg1 on my phone using charname souped up with eekeeper and a simple xp cap remover mod. I'm using a cloud sync app to switch back and forth seamlessly. (Handy on durlags l2 with fiddly levers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What? Crazy. Cam you tell me the name of the app please?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The thing about Wizard Slayers is that they get one neat trick (and it is a good one) at the cost of basically every piece of magical equipment in the game (unless you're planning on dualing to Thief, in which case they get that one neat trick at, eventually, no downside whatsoever because Use Any Item is so gloriously broken an ability).

There's certainly some fun to be had with the class, but it never quite clicked with me.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

docbeard posted:

The thing about Wizard Slayers is that they get one neat trick (and it is a good one) at the cost of basically every piece of magical equipment in the game (unless you're planning on dualing to Thief, in which case they get that one neat trick at, eventually, no downside whatsoever because Use Any Item is so gloriously broken an ability).

There's certainly some fun to be had with the class, but it never quite clicked with me.

Wizard slayer is also quite boring to play, since like you said, you can't use 90% of the cool items in the game. I prefer the berserker, in which enrage makes you immune to 99% of the un-fun parts of the game.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm using 'autosync for onedrive - onesync' and there are similar by that dev for the other major providers.

You point to the android save folder and the cloud folder (symlinked to the bg folder on your pc if not already in the cloud)

The free version restricts it to one 'folder' which is good enough for one game at a time (seems to be happy with all included sub-save folders)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The best wizard slayer is "do Durlag's Tower and get Bala's Axe; make that the item you import into BG2".

The class itself isn't much fun; the magic resistance is never enough when you need it, and while having stacking miscast apply even when blocked by protection spells is great, you'll end up getting gibbed by a wizard before you can get the stacks up.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Also wizard slayers can't use potions other than healing ones and antidotes.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

BadAstronaut posted:

[...] Cavalier seems an interesting choice (I played the base Paladin class a lot before).

God this game is good. So replayable.

Cavalier is extremely fun. It keeps all the Paladin abilities and stacks on a bunch of extra, extremely clutch resistances. I got one up to SoD before deciding to actually try the Berserker -> Mage power train.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cavalier rules hard, and the only reason it doesn't get more attention is due to getting overshadowed by its big brother Inquisitor. The melee-only requirement hurts in the level 1-3 range of BG1, but then you get a poison-immune facesmasher coming into his own just in time to get Spider's Bane and trivialize the whole Cloakwood.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

If you're on Android you can also just plug your device in via USB and copy the files over manually. The save directory isnt hard to locate (it's in the beamdog.baldursgate folder where all your other app data is stored) but Google for it if you can't find it. If you've got the games installed on PC this also means you can edit them with EEkeeper and put them back onto your android device too.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Well considering I will be starting at Dragonspear and get to skip the low level stuff, would you say Cavalier or Berserker? Can one go Cavalier -> Mage? If not, I am going to do Berserker -> Mage. What level should we aim to switch?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Well considering I will be starting at Dragonspear and get to skip the low level stuff, would you say Cavalier or Berserker? Can one go Cavalier -> Mage? If not, I am going to do Berserker -> Mage. What level should we aim to switch?

You can't dual class Cavaliers (or any paladins).

I like 9 for dual classing fighter types to squeeze in one more proficiency point, but opinions vary.

Don't wait til 13.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Cool, Berserker to mage it is. I didntt love Shaman enough to keep on going with that class.

Any other Berserker advice?

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
go berserk! lol

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Korgan in BG2 use axes pretty exclusively, so if your berserker specializes in axes (the most berserker of weapons) you may have axe competition. Minsc has some axe proficiency but also enough other options that it's no big deal around him, but Korgan basically put all his eggs in the axe basket, so maybe don't go evil axe berserker if you want another frontliner in the party.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

Wait, China Mieville's a sexual abuser? The person who wrote a whole book about punishment for rape?

Yep. http://bidisha-online.blogspot.com/2012/12/emotional-violence-and-social-power.html The name was removed from the article after he tried to silence his abuser with legal threats, but the actual content has been repeatedly corroborated.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Is there still no way of copying saves from iOS to PC and vice versa?

I miss being able to do that.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Mzbundifund posted:

Korgan in BG2 use axes pretty exclusively, so if your berserker specializes in axes (the most berserker of weapons) you may have axe competition. Minsc has some axe proficiency but also enough other options that it's no big deal around him, but Korgan basically put all his eggs in the axe basket, so maybe don't go evil axe berserker if you want another frontliner in the party.

I made him longswords and flail, so I can get all those amazing longswords and eventually flail of ages.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The best offhand weapons in the game are a scimitar, short sword or (late SoA) a hammer, if you care about min/maxing.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Honestly I always mod weapon proficiencies to BG1 categories.

I am a grandmaster in the War Hammer!

cool, here's a mace, it too is a heavy thing with a handle.

Wh.... what is this SORCERY?!?!?!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Sorry, that sword is slightly too long/short/foreign for me to be more than an enthusiastic amateur.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wait, how long did you say this bow is? Oh sorry I thought it was 4 inches longer. No I have no idea how to use this, I guess you point it at the bad guys??

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm trying out a kensai that I am going to dual to thief. Should I just put 5 pips into quarterstaff?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

bike tory posted:

The best offhand weapons in the game are a scimitar, short sword or (late SoA) a hammer, if you care about min/maxing.

drat, ok. Guess I'll have to get by without. How many proficiency pips can one get by the end of SoA?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

BadAstronaut posted:

drat, ok. Guess I'll have to get by without. How many proficiency pips can one get by the end of SoA?

Weird question, since you can get pips from your dual class, but they can’t stack like a warrior.

You could probably hit 21 (11 pips; 4 from level 1 plus 7 from every 3 levels) by end of SoA, but you’d JUST BARELY get your fighter stats back (maybe) by the end of ToB.

Unless you’re doing something silly like leaving your computer on for days while Sarevok uses the infinite ammo crossbow to kill fire giants offscreen in Saradush (and that might be patched out.)

Dual at 9 or don’t dual at all, imo. 9 would give you grandmastery in one weapon and 2 pips in dual wielding.

(Dual wielding isn’t that great tbh. Looks cool but mechanically it’s not really worth the investment.)

E: oh, you’re dual to mage? Then 18 is the max you can dual at anyway or you’ll hit the ToB cap before getting your levels back.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 29, 2019

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The fire giant xp trick still works.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Sounds like a hassle to dual. Feels like a long time without those early skills, and then you don't get to max out in the new class either. No?

Maybe there's just too much choice! Haha. I think I'm just worried about making a mistep I'll regret too many hours down the line to want to start over...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm trying out a kensai that I am going to dual to thief. Should I just put 5 pips into quarterstaff?

It's certainly viable, and backstabs with the Staff Of Striking/Of The Ram are a good time. There are other, probably better choices though; there's probably a case to be made for every thief-specific weapon.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

BadAstronaut posted:

Sounds like a hassle to dual. Feels like a long time without those early skills, and then you don't get to max out in the new class either. No?

Maybe there's just too much choice! Haha. I think I'm just worried about making a mistep I'll regret too many hours down the line to want to start over...

Don't get too lost in the weeds; there are very, very few choices that would result in an objectively bad experience.

Dual-classing is awesome, you just really need to not leave it too long before switching classes.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If you're willing to cheese the rules a bit you can get a pretty great arc dualing berserker at 9 in bg1 and finally getting your mage powers for the final dungeon of sod. If you arent on max difficulty it isnt too bad, even a level 4 or 5 mage can contribute nicely, especially when they have beefcake health. I cant remember if you need to raise the xp cap though. I always do because its nonsense.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Its necessary if soloing, (less fiddly on phone) I hit the normal cap sometime around the bandit camp.

E: here's the link to the uncapper files that can be used on pc / android

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 29, 2019

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Dragonrah posted:

Is there still no way of copying saves from iOS to PC and vice versa?

I miss being able to do that.

Steam cloud saves work fine between the two with BG & IWD. I constantly flip between my macbook and PC.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

rocketrobot posted:

Steam cloud saves work fine between the two with BG & IWD. I constantly flip between my macbook and PC.

I meant from my iPad to PC. I use to be able to do it via ifunbox, but then they changed how it worked in iOS 10? Or was it 9? Anyway, I was hoping a work around popped up. Without jail breaking.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

FairGame posted:

(Dual wielding isn’t that great tbh. Looks cool but mechanically it’s not really worth the investment.)
Unless you’re talking about original TotSC dual wielding I will strongly disagree with this.

The only time you shouldn’t consider dual wielding in BG or IWD is when you’re building specifically for two-handed weapons. The latest patches even made life easier by allowing you to equip a two-handed weapon and/or missile launcher while still using an offhand weapon.

I find that single handed weapons provide more worthwhile defenses, passive bonuses and abilities than shields, aside from really niche ones like the shield of Balduran which you only strap on to fight Beholders anyway.

You were on point about everything else though.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dual weilding is the best what are you talking about. Even at worst it's an extra attack per round, and with haste along with Belm or Kundane in your offhand it gives you an extra 4 attacks per round. And all but one of the attacks you make per round are with your main hand so you dont even need to care overly about the proficiencies of your offhand.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
There aren't a lot of great DW weapons available early other than celestial fury. It's also annoying that you have to spend 2 pips just to make DW -not- suck. DW is great but it's quite a late game investment.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dual wielding owns as soon as you can get to trademeet or the haer'dalis quest

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
That's for the offhand, but what are you using in your main hand? And what's your pip distribution

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

As a fighter? Whatever the hell you want, your offhand weapon proficiency doesn't really matter so long as you've got GM with your mainhand and 2 pips in 2 weapon style, which you can get by level 9. Put your 8th pip into the offhand weapon style so those attacks aren't totally gimped, but the whole point of dual wielding is the extra main hand attacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
My point is that it's a heavy investment (all your points in 1 type + style) and that there aren't a lot of early great 1 handed weapon other than CF but lots of great 2 handed weapons.