Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Klansman 8 0.91%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 578 65.76%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 185 21.05%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 4 0.46%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 0 0%
Julian Castro, the Twin 3 0.34%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 3 0.34%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 9 1.02%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 2 0.23%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 4 0.46%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 19 2.16%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 19 2.16%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 8 0.91%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.11%
Just like in real life, nobody voted for Hickenlooper 2 0.23%
Jeffrey Epstein, the MCC Most Hated 9 1.02%
KKKillary KKKlinton 16 1.82%
Some other idiot not in this list 9 1.02%
Total: 879 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/1166783987999633410

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

State horse race polls aren't much better either. Again, outside of Vermont (where it was impossible to outperform polls), Bernie outperformed polls by at least 9 points in every state he won in 2016. Polls tell you who is viable, and a little bit about the demographics of the supporters. Not much beyond that.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

DNC Primary: You are totally correct, Three Pinocchios

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

literally everything we make fun of trump for

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Jesus. The slurring, the misidentifying what decades something occurred, and now word recall problems? I'd say he's simply old but Bernie is actually older and I've never seen a single one of these problems from him.

That sort of thing is not a natural symptom of getting old (or at least certainly not just in your 70s) unless you have dementia or something. My maternal grandmother is 92 and didn't stop being 100% sharp until developing dementia at ~90.

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1166779528888377344

I wish Beto wasn't mediocre on policy becuase there is a lot to like about him

"Laying sweet owns on Republicans/right-wingers" is the sort of thing that is only really good when it's part of a broader left-wing ideology. A lot of liberals get tricked into thinking that someone who makes fun of Republicans must share their values, when that often isn't the case.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, I'm not scared of Biden anymore. Some other centrist hack, sure, but I think Diamond Joe is dead on arrival, just like he was in every precious primary run back when he was more coherent.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, I'm not scared of Biden anymore. Some other centrist hack, sure, but I think Diamond Joe is dead on arrival, just like he was in every precious primary run back when he was more coherent.
Which is why I'm still so pissed off that just 20 minutes ago on CNN/MSNBC (it was on in the other room) the host said Biden's "wheel out my dead family to say how M4A is bad" ad was one of the best she's seen in her whole career.

Is everyone on loving crazy pills?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Ytlaya posted:

"Laying sweet owns on Republicans/right-wingers" is the sort of thing that is only really good when it's part of a broader left-wing ideology. A lot of liberals get tricked into thinking that someone who makes fun of Republicans must share their values, when that often isn't the case.
Nobody was making that case though. They were making the case that Beto Did a Good Thing. Beto laid out a very comprehensive breakdown on why omitting Breitbart from a press event was the responsible decision to make, in a way that even the most decorum-y of campaigns can adopt and use themselves.

The bad part of this is that it looks to be specific to that one event. It should be a touch more generalized as a reason to throw Breitbart out by their bowties or lapels as the case may be from all events.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

JazzFlight posted:

Which is why I'm still so pissed off that just 20 minutes ago on CNN/MSNBC (it was on in the other room) the host said Biden's "wheel out my dead family to say how M4A is bad" ad was one of the best she's seen in her whole career.

Liberal pundits talked about being moved to tears by the Hillary dem convention mini-biopic.

So, yes.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pander posted:

Nobody was making that case though. They were making the case that Beto Did a Good Thing. Beto laid out a very comprehensive breakdown on why omitting Breitbart from a press event was the responsible decision to make, in a way that even the most decorum-y of campaigns can adopt and use themselves.

The bad part of this is that it looks to be specific to that one event. It should be a touch more generalized as a reason to throw Breitbart out by their bowties or lapels as the case may be from all events.

Oh, I didn't meant to imply that the guy I was replying to was saying Beto was good overall, but a lot of liberals (including the younger version of myself) assume that if someone is making accurate attacks against Republicans that they probably have a broader coherent left-wing ideology. But it turns out that it's entirely possible for many Democrats to attack Republicans for right-wing stuff while ignoring or supporting other Democrats doing right-wing stuff.

It's a big reason why so many people have positive impressions of folks like Jon Stewart. There's (pretty understandable) tendency to assume that someone attacking your enemy must be your friend.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
You, flinching, terrified and small: People were forced to clap for Stalin! In Korea you have to stand and salute the portrait of Dear Leader! These people have no freedom

Me, wise and ascendant liberal with tears in my eyes: The greatest moment in my professional career was seeing Joe Biden knowingly lie about his son's medical care and denying such opportunity to the rest of the nation proves he's serious about leading us. These words I'm speaking are non-ideological but if you disagree with me then that is very, very ideological.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

They also cried when Trump bombed an empty airfield

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Gillibrand is out.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Gillibrand is out.

Yep.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1166826135923167234?s=20

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
:negative:

oh well not surprised, she's still a v good senator

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I guess people just weren't that interested in women's causes.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

How are u posted:

Yeah. She went after a more powerful and popular male Democrat for abusing women and it cost her dearly.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:negative:

oh well not surprised, she's still a v good senator

no she's loving not

-sincerely, someone from the congressional district she represented as the bluest blue dog in all of congress

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm happy she's gone and never want her in power but I am a little sad for her that so much of the hate she got was about her one good thing of taking Al down and not the multiple regressive policies she loved.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no she's loving not

-sincerely, someone from the congressional district she represented as the bluest blue dog in all of congress

Yeah, she's not a good senator, but I would have rather seen her rewarded by voters for taking a stand on Frankin. It seems like that will be her legacy. The question is how does she fare in the next primary.

But hey if it means we can get a real progressive in that safe blue seat then it's a win win.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

no she's loving not

I'm not sure how much of GreyjoyBastard's fondness for Gillibrand is ironic and how much is genuine. Or maybe it started as irony and gradually became genuine, like those 4chan people who say a bunch of racial slurs "ironically" and end up becoming explicit nazis.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yeah, she's not a good senator, but I would have rather seen her rewarded by voters for taking a stand on Frankin. It seems like that will be her legacy. The question is how does she fare in the next primary.

But hey if it means we can get a real progressive in that safe blue seat then it's a win win.

TBH, she's the least bad of our two Senators. gently caress Chuck, I wanna see him go.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
To this day I won't understand why Gillenbrand gets held in any regard or is given excuses or seen as a symbol when she had her own abuses in her campaign and tried to hide or suppress it rather than deal with it. She tried to jump on MeToo and didn't take it seriously other than a campaign run tactic.

If you give Gillenbrand a pass, it means you don't give a crap about women's causes or justice. And why give her a pass for going to Wall Street to be bought and funded when no one gives it to anyone else? There's some serious blinders on Gillenbrand and at this point it's probably misandry or sexism at root.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

How are u posted:

It's not that, it's just not a particularly remarkable stance to take in a crowded Dem field. It's like trying to market yourself as the pro-gun Republican in a GOP primary. People shrug their shoulders, go "okay, what else are you bringing to the table". She's shifted her own position within the overton window a lot in the last 10 years, so she doesn't really have her own base of supporters to lean on.

She shouldn't have run for president without figuring out a path to victory, something that describes about 2/3 of the 2020 field.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Now we just have to wait for De Blasio, Delaney, Bennett, Sestak, Bullock, Castro, Booker, Messam, Yang, Gabbard, Biden, and Ryan to drop out so we can finally have a proper primary.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JazzFlight posted:

bernie's "i know where i came from" is legit one of the best campaign ads ever and i don't remember it getting that treatment.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

clearly not playing with a full deck

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Gillibrand's problem is that she somehow managed to get smacked down by dementia Biden at the last debate when she went after him.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah pollsters like Nate are colluding and this guy admits it.

https://twitter.com/JohnAnzo/status/1166729666268454912?s=20

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I'm happy she's gone and never want her in power but I am a little sad for her that so much of the hate she got was about her one good thing of taking Al down and not the multiple regressive policies she loved.

Reporters will absolutely ask Franken for comment on her collapse, so his fans can celebrate.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Nate's not a pollster, dumbass.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Yeah it is pretty incredible that he'd admit to something so unethical and fundamentally biasing in public like that. Of course the reason he would is because it is common practice.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Pander posted:

Nate's not a pollster, dumbass.

Sorry about your dad Nate.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah it is pretty incredible that he'd admit to something so unethical and fundamentally biasing in public like that. Of course the reason he would is because it is common practice.

No it’s not lmao

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Sorry about your dad Nate.

You don't even understand that you're paying Nate a compliment by insisting he himself is capable of commissioning polls, rather than gathering the work others do and coming up with his own pundit-y conclusions, do you?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

No it’s not lmao

How many polling organizations have explicitly said they do not throw out data like that?

Afaik only Monmouth.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
He is a pollster dumbass however

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Luckyellow posted:

Now we just have to wait for De Blasio, Delaney, Bennett, Sestak, Bullock, Castro, Booker, Messam, Yang, Gabbard, Biden, and Ryan to drop out so we can finally have a proper primary.
I think Ryan suspended his campaign

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

How many polling organizations have explicitly said they do not throw out data like that?

Afaik only Monmouth.

Polling firms that did that would be discredited quickly. It's not something they should explicitly need to say.

Have any said that they definitely DO do that? Besides the hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pander posted:

Polling firms that did that would be discredited quickly. It's not something they should explicitly need to say.

Have any said that they definitely DO do that? Besides the hack.

How would we know?

This is a pollster for Obama, the DSCC, DGA, DCCC with glowing media reviews admitting to basically cooking his numbers.

quote:

John Anzalone has twenty-five years of polling experience helping candidates, associations, and corporations with message development and strategic planning. John has built a firm that helped elect President Barack Obama twice, U.S. Senators and dozens of Congressmen, as well as big city Mayors all over the country. In the last decade, John has helped beat more incumbent Republicans and take back more Republican seats than any other polling firm in the nation. John works regularly with the DSCC, DGA, and DCCC, and the Washington Post called him one of the “hottest” pollsters in the nation.

When he doesn't lose any status over this, we should assume it is most common than we think.

edit: yeah this polling firm just won pollster of the year

https://twitter.com/JohnAnzo/status/1114158042709463041

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 29, 2019