Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

) were more set off by anything with the weight out in front of my center of gravity.

I was listening to the stronger by science pod cast and they mentioned that that’s how most back injuries happen and often not even at the gym.

You can DL 500lbs but gently caress your back up picking up a box of books while moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Let's not forget the classic "hurt yourself sleeping" maneuver

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

MarcusSA posted:

I was listening to the stronger by science pod cast and they mentioned that that’s how most back injuries happen and often not even at the gym.

You can DL 500lbs but gently caress your back up picking up a box of books while moving.

IIRC one of the most common back injuries is caused by picking up a toddler who is on a step lower than you.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

IIRC one of the most common back injuries is caused by picking up a toddler who is on a step lower than you.

Is this why people do deficit deadlifts?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Having children is catabolic

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

bomb posted:

Is this why people do deficit deadlifts?

Deficit SLDL would be more specific

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Goons my bff wants to do free weights. He's been doing machines forever, but nothing really heavy. What's a nice beginner program for a guy? I can show him the mechanics but I'm clueless on what would work best for him.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
More for strength or hypertrophy or both?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Bench forever

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Sweet As Sin posted:

Goons my bff wants to do free weights. He's been doing machines forever, but nothing really heavy. What's a nice beginner program for a guy? I can show him the mechanics but I'm clueless on what would work best for him.

GZCLP

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

turd in my singlet posted:

Deficit SLDL would be more specific

It's dead funny watching people at my work reach down to use the water cooler, because without fail they will bend up to 90 degrees from the waist before bending their knees a millimeter

Meanwhile I squat down to reach like a true Slav king (I am not Slavic)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Is your water cooler on a bottom step or something?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've been dropping weight for about ten weeks now, down a total of 39lbs this morning. Vacation starts in two days and I Can. Not. Wait. to eat like a salami god all week

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is your water cooler on a bottom step or something?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Omnikin posted:

I've been dropping weight for about ten weeks now, down a total of 39lbs this morning. Vacation starts in two days and I Can. Not. Wait. to eat like a salami god all week

congrats on the progress and intentional backsliding

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sweet As Sin posted:

Starting Strength is the go-to beginner program in YLLS. There's thread with a lot of info.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Fall/Winter are the best, if you stay consistent everyone else gets chubby/fat

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Fitzy Fitz posted:

congrats on the progress and intentional backsliding

Already planning my few months of work behind vacation and can't wait to up the intensity plus better carb management. Goal is to keep sliding down before getting the chubby bulk on this winter

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Planning ahead is a surefire way to pick up an unforeseen injury.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Well I tweaked something small in my quad last night kneeling down to put my 8month old 20lb kid in the tub. Didn't even make it to the post-vacation part

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

"Bomb's Parenting Conditioning with Kettlebells"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

bomb posted:

Trap Bar is way more comfy anyway

I've always felt more like a barbell but ok

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Omnikin posted:

. Goal is to keep sliding down before getting the chubby bulk on this winter

Congratulations on your loss! That’s a pretty significant weight to drop but this is a terrible idea to get into your head if you are being serious.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

The part that feels weird is that the deadlift is usually considered a posterior chain exercise but I pretty much never really feel it in my legs. Today for example, my legs are completely fine but my lower back erector muscles are sore as hell. Obviously I'm not good morning it up and my legs are usually a bit wobbly after sets but it never feels like I'm really hitting them much
I used to rarely feel it in my legs or rear end and would get so tight/sore in my lower back I felt like I was walking funny for a few minutes after doing them.

Eventually I started making a mental note to really stick my rear end back like I was trying to touch the wall behind me with my butt without moving my feet and I also started setting my low back before the pull by thinking about pressing my belly into the insides of my thighs. Now deadlifts torch my rear end and hamstrings and I never feel particularly sore in my low back.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yo-yo dieting doesn't suddenly become cool and good because you lift weights a few times a week

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Just let one go on the leg press machine. Playing it off as slick as I can. namaste

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Helios Grime posted:

More for strength or hypertrophy or both?

He's only in it for aesthethic reasons so far. He can definitely do the work, he's just clueless on what is actually effective. Even people I know who have been a long time into working out have no idea on how to actually sculpt a body. It's wild. I'm trying to get my boyfriend to follow an actual program, but he's resisting it.

ultrafilter posted:

Starting Strength is the go-to beginner program in YLLS. There's thread with a lot of info.

Thank you! I started lifting with SS ages ago, but I think he'll like GZCLP more. We already covered nutrition but he needs a lot of guidance, it's exciting to finally have someone to nerd out with about weights.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sweet As Sin posted:

it's exciting to finally have someone to nerd out with about weights.

Absolutely no joke but #relationshipgoals

I workout with quite a few couples and it’s always nice to see how they work together.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pulled 425 today for a PR. 500 by the end of the year.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Pulled 425 today for a PR. 500 by the end of the year.

Nice work, I'm currently on the PR gravy train since I've started to be more smart about food and lifting, and hitting PRs every other week is noice. However I'll be on vacation for 3 weeks and while that doesn't sap my strenght or anything it will suck to get back into it afterwards while I'm on a run right now.
Being able to consistently squat 3 plates after being so bad with squats is so nice. Gonna do a hypertrophy cycle though right after I'm back to put some more muscle on my frame want to reach that lean muscled 220lbs.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

MarcusSA posted:

Congratulations on your loss! That’s a pretty significant weight to drop but this is a terrible idea to get into your head if you are being serious.

Not being serious, I have a lot of weight left to lose but I am looking forward to eventually adding some calories back in and trying to build up some vanity muscles.

feelix posted:

Yo-yo dieting doesn't suddenly become cool and good because you lift weights a few times a week

I don't know that I'd call 9 weeks of hitting calorie targets every day with a few days of relaxed eating at the end yo-yo dieting. I am definitely looking forward to eating a calorie bomb or two this upcoming week- there's something called a peanut butter brownie pancake surprise at a local diner that I can't wait to murder- but I am keeping an eye towards the future to keep myself in check. Plus I'm still going to do my daily cardio, a couple weekly lifting sessions plus yoga on the balcony overlooking the ocean. It's all gravy

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Pull 450 today, feels good

Do ya'll every feel completely wiped/sleepy after PR on DL?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

bomb posted:

I feel sleepy but can't sleep

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s your fight or flight response.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

bomb posted:

100%. It's weird cause it's like brain tired not muscle tired.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
deadlifts trigger my fight or shitpost instincts and well...i don't do any kind of mma training

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

I feel wiped and sleepy after 210x2 paused bench since its soooooo tough.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

itskage posted:

Paused Bench Press
- 95 lb x 3 reps
- 135 lb x 6 reps
- 135 lb x 6 reps (PR)
- 135 lb x 4 reps

:tutbutt:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

bomb posted:

I schedule my deadlifts so that I don't have to get up at any particular time the next day. Very important, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress it, bought a trap bar.