Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Whoops

Turns out I already got the Daeva and Mekhet clan books when a local game shop was putting WOD on clearance (to make room for MORE Warhams).

Carthians is a great book too, really helps move them away from the "good guy" covenant.

My only real complaint about the clanbooks, as great as they are, is that they're very light on crunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are they gonna be playable or npc only?

Pretty much all of the 'worse than usual by a lot' variations in these books have had playable rule sets, so the Tremere who have been playable since 1e are unlikely to be NPC only. The werewolf variants from Shunned by the Moon being outlined in F&F all have power sets for player use.

I mean, the Tremere are still going to be horrifying, deluded soul-eating monsters, but they'll have rules that are costed like Mage powers, I imagine.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As long as it's considered an extension of a core character type, any rules for a thing tend to be at least technically player-accessible.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

juggalo baby coffin posted:

are they gonna be playable or npc only?

Playable. The only mage subtype that have rules (including unpublished ones) that aren't playable are Scelesti. And even then first-initiation Scelesti who've essentially got an addiction to paradox but still have a Wisdom trait, Path, etc are playable. It's Nasnasi, Shedim, Autarchs, abd especially Baalim and Qliphoth that aren't

You could even play a Banisher or Rapt, but other than a one-off the nature of their hosed-upness would make them very boring pcs.

Tremere in the upcoming Night Horrors book are so playable they even have their Order splat pages done in the corebook's style for the Pentacle and Seers. Have fun playing a soul-eating monster!

EDIT TO ADD - and even for the Scelesti, it's not moral concerns making them unplayable. The abyss is as fictional as souls. It more got to the point where we couldn't make Joined Scelesti's powers both tempting and balanced without toning them down.

The main balance to being Tremere or Scelesti, of course, is that everyone hates you and mage society changes from "polite standoff between walking wmds" to "thousands of walking wmds will get mad props from their peers for murdering you".

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 27, 2019

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Enjoy the Bad Romance, as well.

Now I'm thinking of Lady Gaga in Requiem for Rome.

I don't like Latin, you don't like Latin, you and me would make bad Romans.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soonmot posted:

Carthians is a great book too, really helps move them away from the "good guy" covenant.

Is it there that Greg Stolze said Carthians don't see humans as the proletariat but instead the means of production? Because that's genius and really helps to lock down that they aren't the 'nice' ones. The Carthian book also has this really awesome list of favors your fellow Carthians could want from you because that's how they trade for things not being the most resource-heavy Covenant.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 27, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking of. That show degradation from humans as comrades into humans as resources to be shared with comrades.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
The Carthans were always open to allow fascists in their turfs, so gently caress them, go with the Crones or the Transhuman Vampires or something if you don't wanna be a dick!

Spoiler Alert: all vampires are awful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm gonna stay with the Ordo Dracul and eat this Third Umbilical Cord before shooting myself up with Old Blood.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking of. That show degradation from humans as comrades into humans as resources to be shared with comrades.

And the occasional Carthian who is horrified by all of this clear creation of a pseudo-petty blood bourgeois and immediately start working on overthrowing them.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The Nomenklatura seems like they'd be a Carthian Bloodline.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Aug 28, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EdithUpwards posted:

The Nomenklatura seems like it'd be a Carthian Bloodline.
RETARGETING... RETARGETING... ACCESSING TWITTER DOT COM...

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

oh cool at least it didn't post fifteen times
e:That's a reply to "OGAS was Infrastructure, the angel is out and now it's come to harvest the flesh of partocrats, fifty years too late" isn't it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EdithUpwards posted:

oh cool at least it didn't post fifteen times
e:That's a reply to "OGAS was Infrastructure, the angel is out and now it's come to harvest the flesh of partocrats, fifty years too late" isn't it?
Yeah, I guess the God-Machine threw a rod. Fortunately puppeteers don't have to listen to some bullshit living in the basement of the Wendy's.

I didn't see the OGAS part though, just the part to the effect of "a demon who came out to hunt the nomenklatura, got bricked up since the 70s, and is now FREE AT LAST" while resembling Robbie the Robot.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are there any WoD real-play podcasts that are focused on comedy?

I've tried a couple but they're all just full of overwrought drama.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Inzombiac posted:

Are there any WoD real-play podcasts that are focused on comedy?

I've tried a couple but they're all just full of overwrought drama.

:thunk:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I need some help with my chronicle. I introduced the Nuwisha into my W:tF as part of a debt collection scam side quest two of the characters were investigating. I crimped a bit from changeling when designing the broad strokes, the Coyote shifters are all about Bargains, and can impose bad luck on those who break their word to them. They also cannot lie, so you get to have fun talking in circles and leaving out key bits of information or context.

I know that my players are going to go back to them again, after their last Bargain, so I have two questions: What are some good ideas for trickster themed gifts, and What are some fun grifts I can have the Nuwisha pull on my players?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Soonmot posted:

I need some help with my chronicle. I introduced the Nuwisha into my W:tF as part of a debt collection scam side quest two of the characters were investigating. I crimped a bit from changeling when designing the broad strokes, the Coyote shifters are all about Bargains, and can impose bad luck on those who break their word to them. They also cannot lie, so you get to have fun talking in circles and leaving out key bits of information or context.

I know that my players are going to go back to them again, after their last Bargain, so I have two questions: What are some good ideas for trickster themed gifts, and What are some fun grifts I can have the Nuwisha pull on my players?

The classic: an unknown relative died and left an haunted mansion to the pack in their will. They have to spend the night there to collect.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
For the record, the factions in old vampire were also all lovely assholes. Anarchs are slightly better than the others, but are still hypocrites who willfully enslave and feed of people for the sake of a cause. A cause that is rooted in a reading of the Communist Manifesto while super drunk and most of the pages are ripped out and replaced with atlas shrugged or some bullshit.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TheNamedSavior posted:

For the record, the factions in old vampire were also all lovely assholes. Anarchs are slightly better than the others, but are still hypocrites who willfully enslave and feed of people for the sake of a cause. A cause that is rooted in a reading of the Communist Manifesto while super drunk and most of the pages are ripped out and replaced with atlas shrugged or some bullshit.

I think the thing about Old World, at least in the earliest days, is that it framed one of the primary conflicts as 'disenfranchise neonates versus entrenched assholes out to get you' and while that is and probably always should be a core theme of all the Vampire games, it was originally made literal in the Anarch/Camarilla conflict. This became less pronounced once the Sabbat become less mysterious but was a big part of the 'Gothic Punk' nomenclature.

That was always part of the game's skeleton. I think it's actually better that we've moved away from, 'some vampires are good, actually' and instead makes 'being good' an option for any vampire that just happens to be very difficult.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah yeah, I know but all the games I've run have been more funny than horrifying and I'd like some more of that.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Mendrian posted:

I think the thing about Old World, at least in the earliest days, is that it framed one of the primary conflicts as 'disenfranchise neonates versus entrenched assholes out to get you' and while that is and probably always should be a core theme of all the Vampire games, it was originally made literal in the Anarch/Camarilla conflict. This became less pronounced once the Sabbat become less mysterious but was a big part of the 'Gothic Punk' nomenclature.

That was always part of the game's skeleton. I think it's actually better that we've moved away from, 'some vampires are good, actually' and instead makes 'being good' an option for any vampire that just happens to be very difficult.

In turn, the baked in Anarch-Camarilla feud becomes a great commentary on how supposedly anti-establishmentarian movements routinely utilize the same tools and methods as their opponents and it requires a fundamental break in the underlying philosophies and epistemologies in order to escape that cycle, and that without that reform, any proposal to reform, tear down, and rebuild the system will inevitably succumb to the same abuses sooner or later.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Soonmot posted:

Glad to hear your game is going well.

When it comes to powers now I often look in earlier editions. There's not that much for Tricksters in WtF as far as I know. But you might look at the Scheherazade's Gift from Signs of the Moon, it's a kind of Trickster/Storyteller gift. For Oaths, you might take a look at Judge's Moon Gifts, from Lore of the Forsaken, though the only 'We have a deal now, supernaturally enhanced' is in 2e's Half-Moon Gift.

Also you might go back and convert some of the Nuwisha abilities over. I did something similar when making Raven hosts, taking some stuff from the Corax, as well as the Death lore from Demon the Fallen.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I've been talking about Void Leviathans and the idea that Luna is Gaia's jailer with a friend. And we've realized Shunned by the Moon has all you need to play Neon Genesis Evangelion but you're Uratha. Lunes are NERV, the souls of humanity/our missing spirits are bits of Gaia, and Void Leviathans/the Moon-Shunned/the Pure Firstborn are trying to wake Grandmother Gaia up.

Also, Void Leviathans are werewolf dungeon crawls made of meat that falls from space. That's good no matter what goofy anime plot, or serious primal horror game, you want to run.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Joe Slowboat posted:

I've been talking about Void Leviathans and the idea that Luna is Gaia's jailer with a friend. And we've realized Shunned by the Moon has all you need to play Neon Genesis Evangelion but you're Uratha. Lunes are NERV, the souls of humanity/our missing spirits are bits of Gaia, and Void Leviathans/the Moon-Shunned/the Pure Firstborn are trying to wake Grandmother Gaia up.

Also, Void Leviathans are werewolf dungeon crawls made of meat that falls from space. That's good no matter what goofy anime plot, or serious primal horror game, you want to run.

One of the stories in the fiction anthology (Amy Veeres' I think) had an idigam spawning Angels very inspired by NGE.

I like that the planetary angels will just sit there and corrupt a spot until its like it was on their planet.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Is this all Shunned by the Moon chat? Just so I know what books to go out and immediately start scouring for inspiration.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Is this all Shunned by the Moon chat? Just so I know what books to go out and immediately start scouring for inspiration.

Just Joe Slowboat's post and my response. People used to ask, 'What about spirits from outer space? Are they the same spirits as those called from beyond the void?' And the answer was yes, and then Shunned by the Moon explained the three main kinds with some examples, including the Skybreaker. 'It’s not called the Skybreaker, of course, not yet. Such names mean nothing in the void. When it falls to earth, though, they’ll call it Skybreaker then — a vast leviathan of darkness, a hole in the firmament above.'

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dawgstar posted:

Is it there that Greg Stolze said Carthians don't see humans as the proletariat but instead the means of production? Because that's genius and really helps to lock down that they aren't the 'nice' ones. The Carthian book also has this really awesome list of favors your fellow Carthians could want from you because that's how they trade for things not being the most resource-heavy Covenant.

From what I recall, the 1e books mentioned that some of them see them as similar individuals struggling (but they're gonna use as a political resource) to seize the means of production and some see them as the means itself (in which case they're food). Of course, this divide can lead to a revolution to overthrow the revolution when one side or another gets their way. I'm guessing the divide can primarily be divided by what humanity rating a person is at. Or failing that how much of an rear end in a top hat they were in life.

The Carthian covenant book has a fantastic write up describing how "alternative political ideologies inspired by/outright stolen from humanity" can also be a really bad thing in one of their Carthian associated clan write ups. The clan in question was started by a Ventrue neonate who is a literal skinhead (To the point where the Ordo Dracul literally just threw their hands up in the air out of exasperation and kicked him out of their group over his insistence that his supremacist views about the Ventrue (Previously it was about white people.) were right without evidence. Mind you, they didn't even bother to kill him. He was that annoying.) and basically diablerized his way into starting a bloodline of Ventrue supremacists that can gently caress with the flaws of the other clans and force them on people to justify his beliefs.

The primary covenants are such wide ranging things that you can have a good vampire in at least a few of them, albeit with a gently caress ton of grief and trouble involved. They're basically catch all ideologies that can range from elitism, to egalitarianism, to some variant of Christianity, to some variant of old religions, to a burning desire to engage in some fuckin' :science: of one type or another. And barring a few exceptions all that stuff can apply to just about any of the major clans.

There was this also one 1e book, Danse Macabre, that had a bunch of optional smaller covenants. Kind of like how the hunter conspiracies are international and how tier 2 groups and below tend to be more local or national. The write ups came with their own unique "covenant equivalent" power set like the big covenants get.

It really got into how varied vampiric views could be, ranging from "The reason we're so hosed up is because we're basically bargain bin Abyssal exalt's that periodically accrue resonance and need to find a way to bleed it off." to "Hey, I found a hedge gate! Let's go through, set up shop on the other side in a True Fae's domain, and start worshiping the nightmarishly sociopathic entities there. Nothing can go wrong with this idea at all!", to some sort of crazy capitalist pyramid scheme meets scientology style cult where people can literally trade out their personalities like they're a fresh set of clothes, to even one covenant where humans and ghouls were basically equal or greater players in the average political games that go on.

Basically, vampires in Requiem are kinda loving rad once you get past the bland generalized political alignment stuff.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Aug 29, 2019

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

nofather posted:

One of the stories in the fiction anthology (Amy Veeres' I think) had an idigam spawning Angels very inspired by NGE.

I like that the planetary angels will just sit there and corrupt a spot until its like it was on their planet.

Yep that'd be her work.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rita Repulsa is the strongest of the idigam.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For those wondering why Robert Weinberg's two trilogies are widely panned (they do have some fun elements and they're extremely 90s), let me tell you how one of the main characters of one escapes a squad of four HIT Mark Vs. He goes down a steep hill. That's... That's it. He goes down a hill, and they can't follow because 'it might cause our destruction'.

It's a hill. These are the Technocracy's greatest covert deployable weapons system and platform, built in the shape and capacities of a man, plus a bunch of neat extra poo poo. They can be defeated by going downhill. Really sells the menace, don't it? It's like escaping a dalek by going upstairs because you've forgotten it can just blow the entire house apart.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Should have sent the Cyber-Tooth Tigers. :smugbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Hmm, is there a Bloodline of vampires going Lovecraftian/Bloodborne-esque? It seems like an obvious take thinking about it now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hmm, is there a Bloodline of vampires going Lovecraftian/Bloodborne-esque? It seems like an obvious take thinking about it now.

Do the Holy Engineers count?

Or the Pijavica?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

*frantically gestures at the tsimizce*

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Do the Holy Engineers count?

Or the Pijavica?

Oh certainly. A quick search through the wki has given quite a few Bloodlines I could work with. Now all I need is a game.

Shrecknet posted:

*frantically gestures at the tsimizce*

Masquerade has quite a few options, aside from the Tsimizce.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
mekhet throwback bloodline

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If I remember correctly all Requiem vampires are implicitly in the process of becoming something else, albeit through a circuitous and non-guaranteed route. poo poo gets really weird at high Blood Potency levels.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If I remember correctly all Requiem vampires are implicitly in the process of becoming something else, albeit through a circuitous and non-guaranteed route. poo poo gets really weird at high Blood Potency levels.
I want to say that the only splat whose Power Stat increasing doesn't get weird and bad for them is Mages, but that's because everything around them is probably weird and bad already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

There was a Legacy in Silver Ladde rimplied to be tainted by some otherworldly entity.

There was also the Merovingians Proximi family.