Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
McGuire looks like how I would imagine Peter Parker, Holland is in the best movies and plays the best Spider-Man at that age, Garfield is terrible and so are his movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

Garfield is terrible and so are his movies.

:hmmyes:

I thought Andrew Garfield's Peter was life-endingly bad, but I didn't much care for his Spider-man, either. Yeah yeah, he quips and clowns on his enemies, but his energy is all wrong. He sounds like an overconfident bully when he does it, not like a guy trying to cover his fear or trying to annoy someone into making a mistake.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 29, 2019

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Holland is the only actor in the history of Spider-Man who was believable as a teenage boy from Queens.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Bale's Batman voice is perfect in the scene where he first meets Gordon (when he's dressed in a balaclava). A low, menacing whisper. They should have kept it as that - it fitted the ninja training idea - but instead they kept dialling it up until DKR when he's roaring unintelligibly during what should be normal conversations.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Reeves is obviously the Superman GOAT but I thought Cavill could've been great if he hadn't been wasted so terribly by Snyder.

It sucks watching him be so charming and fun in the Man from U.N.C.L.E., then to watch him be directed to mope through 3 grimdark movies snapping necks and shouting about Martha.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yeah Cavill is perfect and the movies don’t use him well at all. I’m a big fan of Routh’s performance too. Everything wrong with that is also the movies fault.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Routh and Cavill are all right Supermen if you divorce them from the horrible movies they're in, but even with a great director they couldn't touch Reeves' Clark Kent.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Karloff posted:

Bale's Batman voice is perfect in the scene where he first meets Gordon (when he's dressed in a balaclava). A low, menacing whisper. They should have kept it as that - it fitted the ninja training idea - but instead they kept dialling it up until DKR when he's roaring unintelligibly during what should be normal conversations.

Watch the scene where Joker's hanging upside down at the end of Dark Knight and just watch Bales mouth move. It looks like when you slap a fat guys stomach. It's so bad.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Something I've just realised. With all of the Batman adaptations/movies/TV shows, we're yet to get a definitive, great Batman. Each one brings something to the table, but when I watch Superman I can look at Christopher Reeve and say 'thats the guy from the comics, that's perfect'. Same with Tom Holland's Spider-man, or Downey's Iron Man. I can't think of a single Batman performance that captures the character in the same way (outside of animation anyway). It's such a weird oversight, but probably comes from him having such interesting villains. Half the adaptations about Batman don't really give a poo poo about Batman himself.

Are we talking pure physicality and performance or are we including writing? Because if so Tom Holland's Spider-Man is nowhere near definitive.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

site posted:

maybe nolan was afraid bale would throw one of his infamous tantrums if he told him to quit it

"Nobody cared who I was until I wore the mask."

"OH GOOD FOR YOUUUUU!!"

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Affleck/Irons Batman/Alfred fuckin ruled but were wasted in poo poo movies

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cavill's really great for that 5 minutes of JL where they actually let him be Superman

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Retro Futurist posted:

Cavill's really great for that 5 minutes of JL where they actually let him be Superman

That's the worst Superman performance in the entire series. He's actually good in the other ones. In JL hea an uninteresting parody of what people think Superman is

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He's actually good in the other ones.

I’m not saying he was good in Justice League, but his natural charm and charisma are absolutely wasted in the Snyder films. He’s muted and flat. He may as well have been played by a marble statue.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Oh yeah and Zachary Levi is Shazam to me, he did a great job.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He was a good Shazam in a bottle but I did think his performance was nothing like Billy Batson, who was also good. it was hard to buy them as the same character but that may have more been the script

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

He was a good Shazam in a bottle but I did think his performance was nothing like Billy Batson, who was also good. it was hard to buy them as the same character but that may have more been the script

Yeah. He is a fun Shazam but does not feel like Billy in the slightest

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah, The one of the biggest problems of with Man of Steel and Batman v Superman was simply that the role called for a high degree of physical acting that actors like Ryan Gosling, Keanu Reeves and Nicolas Cage (in his own exaggerated way) excel at and Cavil just didn't have the chops. That's not a dis towards the actor but after the MoS they really should have realized that Cavil didn't have the chops and just rewrote the role with more dialog, maybe include Jimmy Olson in a way that allows him to interact with him and have way more dialog.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I think Cavill has shown he’s a very capable physical actor, it’s just that Man of Steel and Batman v Superman don’t have many moments that really capitalize on it the way that, say, the “cocking his guns” moment in Mission: Impossible does. The only one I can think of is when Batman blocks Superman’s punch and he’s all “Say wha-a-a-a-at?!?”

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Mission Impossible shows that Caville is very good at playing a smug sociopath...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Another problem is Superman is fundamentally built up on his relationship with Lois, and Cavill and Adams were the antithesis of chemistry. You could point out any scene they shared in any of the movies, and if you told me that when it was filmed that was the first time the two of them had met, I'd believe you. They had no chemistry together.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
thor 4 looking good

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
My favorite Superman moment was in BvS when the bomb went off at the capital and Superman is just standing there like someone just crop dusted him.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

Another problem is Superman is fundamentally built up on his relationship with Lois, and Cavill and Adams were the antithesis of chemistry. You could point out any scene they shared in any of the movies, and if you told me that when it was filmed that was the first time the two of them had met, I'd believe you. They had no chemistry together.

They had chemistry, it was just incredibly creepy chemistry. Intentionally or not, Man of Steel very obviously positions Lois as a stand-in for Martha, giving their relationship a really uncomfortably Oedipal tone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

site posted:

thor 4 looking good

I want to believe.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
My favorite Cavill Superman moment is in Justice League too. When he and Cyborg do the thing to the mcguffin and get blown back. Superman throws out "Ok, starting to miss being dead" or something like that. Actually made him sound endearing. Maybe I just liked the movie openly embracing comic book nonsense.

EDIT: Though my favorite scene of terrible DCEU Superman will forever be when the kryptonite wears off and he starts no selling Batman's punches. Only his mouth is visible, but Affleck does a tremendous "Aw gently caress" and Cavill does a tiny nod of "Yeah."

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 30, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Superman vs Batman fight actually has a lot of extremely good body language from both actors. Like just from a visual standpoint it hits all the marks, it's mostly the clunky dialogue that drags it down. If you put it on mute and just watch the fight it comes across a lot better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
someone in here was saing endgame really doesnt work on a second/third viewing or what have you, i thin they're sorta right. infinity war works as a film on its own, but endgame doesnt work unless you watch iw immediately proceeding it at the very least. like, ones a movie with a sequel if you choose, but the other is a 6 hour movie

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I just watched Endgame on a 5 hour flight back home, and nah, it holds up pretty well.

The only thing really missing is the audience energy: when I saw Endgame in theaters opening weekend, people were losing their loving minds. There's nothing in the home viewing experience that can really match the collective gasp of a hundred people when Thor's hammer flies past him into Cap's hand.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ImpAtom posted:

The Superman vs Batman fight actually has a lot of extremely good body language from both actors. Like just from a visual standpoint it hits all the marks, it's mostly the clunky dialogue that drags it down. If you put it on mute and just watch the fight it comes across a lot better.

Realtalk, I stand by "Snyder is a great director but a terrible writer", because slo-mo aside, you can mute a lot of his work and still follow the emotional stakes just from how he runs a set and the little physical tics he brings out of a cast. There's a lot of that in all of his films.

It's just not really a selling point to go "This 2+ hour film makes a fantastic silent film."

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I think the structure and pacing really save Infinity War on repeat viewings, while Endgame’s a real mess in both areas.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

END ME SCOOB posted:

Realtalk, I stand by "Snyder is a great director but a terrible writer", because slo-mo aside, you can mute a lot of his work and still follow the emotional stakes just from how he runs a set and the little physical tics he brings out of a cast. There's a lot of that in all of his films.

It's just not really a selling point to go "This 2+ hour film makes a fantastic silent film."

Snyder is fantastic at art direction and scene comp, but can't get it together to make a movie actually work.

I'd say he also keeps getting saddled with work he doesn't "get." Like he'd be great with any of those off 90's extreme characters or (sorta) the Punisher, but giving him light-hearted characters like Superman was a huge mistake. He's said in interviews that he doesn't get those type of characters, and it shows.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Affleck/Irons Batman/Alfred fuckin ruled but were wasted in poo poo movies

Hell drat yeah. BvS is an objectively bad movie but I've still seen it like 5 times or so, mostly the extended edition, and find it immensely watchable because I absolutely love both of those people in those roles (and I love The Dark Knight Returns*).

I hate Batguns and MAAAAAARTHA and probably most of the other stuff that the average watcher of it does too, but drat they got a great middle aged Bats and formidable-appearing but still kind-hearted-dad Alfred who had good chemistry together.

*how's the animated version, I've never seen it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

thor 4 looking good

That’s not Jane, though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I thought Affleck was just awful as Batman. Then again, I can't think of any performance of his that I've ever liked. He seems to just sleepwalk through most roles.

Soul Glo posted:

*how's the animated version, I've never seen it?

I didn't care for it. For me, in the comic, a whole lot of the story is told through the caption boxes, which work as the characters' inner thoughts. So much of the story is dependent on those, and the cartoon, which could've done them as voice overs/narration, completely eliminates them.

But, other people disagree with me and think that they were superfluous.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 30, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite, stupidest Affleck film is Paycheck

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Paycheck and Armageddon alone are stronger than most actor's oeuvres.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Paycheck feels like they studied 90s action thrillers and made a bingo card of what elements belong in those movies, and then just put a token on every square.

Honestly I wish Schwarzenegger had made it about 5 years earlier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
All jokes aside I really liked The Town and possibly to his credit he's the only director I've seen get some decent acting out of Blake "not quite so" Lively.