Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"Parliamentary norms aren't real" I assure myself as I close my eyes and prorogue parliament with my lovely Governor General

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seriously, what the gently caress is it with Nazis and going to hide/die in Manitoba? :confused:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Reality Sinner posted:

Was it 2008 when Harper lost a no confidence vote but it was a rider attached to another bill so it didn't count? Parliament is a mess.

I think that was Martin 2005. Nobody wanted to actually defeat the government at that time so they just held another vote and fixed it :shobon:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
During ww2 we kept all our german POWs in camps in alberta with world war war veterans as guards. it was mainly to give them something to do because they weren't going to stop a prisoner escape. But it didn't matter because the camps were in the middle of nowhere in Alberta, where the hell were they going to go

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dreylad posted:

During ww2 we kept all our german POWs in camps in alberta with world war war veterans as guards. it was mainly to give them something to do because they weren't going to stop a prisoner escape. But it didn't matter because the camps were in the middle of nowhere in Alberta, where the hell were they going to go

Manitoba.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Nazis love Manitoba, it's like their Graceland

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

RBC posted:

A well thought out oped with this image inserted in the middle for some reason:

It's a fine old British tradition (see also: Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash):

"Billy Bragg - It Says Here" posted:

It says here that the Unions will never learn
It says here that the economy is on the upturn
And it says here we should be proud
That we are free
And our free press reflects our democracy

Those braying voices on the right of the House
Are echoed down the Street of Shame
Where politics mix with bingo and tits
In a money and numbers game

Where they offer you a feature
On stockings and suspenders
Next to a call for stiffer penalties for sex offenders

It says here that this year's prince is born
It says here do you ever wish
That you were better informed
And it says here that we can only stop the rot
With a large dose of Law and Order
And a touch of the short sharp shock

If this does not reflect you view you should understand
That those who own the papers also own this land
And they'd rather you believed
In Coronation Street capers
In the war of circulation, it sells newspapers
Could it be an infringement
Of the freedom of the press
To print pictures of women in states of undress

When you wake up to the fact
That your paper is Tory
Just remember, there are two sides to every story

tl;dr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXA8O28fso

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

There are a whole bunch of chuds that like that talking point.

Along side "I'm not a white supremacist, I didn't say whites were better, but race mixing is bad..."

It's always funny how this logic never seems to follow the line of "race mixing is bad - so we should give the Americas back to the natives and return to Europe where white people belong". Like somehow "Well obviously *I* don't have to move" is just an axiom because their stated argument absolutely does not imply that it should be the case.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

infernal machines posted:

Nazis love Manitoba, it's like their Graceland

I think all nazis should come to Manitoba, try to hide in the wilderness and die.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's always funny how this logic never seems to follow the line of "race mixing is bad - so we should give the Americas back to the natives and return to Europe where white people belong". Like somehow "Well obviously *I* don't have to move" is just an axiom because their stated argument absolutely does not imply that it should be the case.

I mean they usually assume it'll be too difficult to get all the white people out so it's impractical, but getting all the minorities? A little violence will do the trick.

It'd do the trick with white people too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This is also the logical end of "they should go back where they came from" and "immigration is bad". Like, sure, okay, gently caress off back to the Urals then broheim. Somehow the cutoff is whenever their parents or grandparents moved to Canada.

My absolute favourite is when someone says this about someone who was born in Canada and whose family may have immigrated before theirs. You know, because they're brown.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Aug 28, 2019

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The Cheshire Cat posted:

In my experience if you push them on this what you'll discover is that the fact that history is full of conquests, genocides and displacements only heightens their fear that they are the next victims in line. It's kind of like how talking about gun violence makes a liberal want to ban guns but for a conservative it emphasizes how dangerous the world is and actually increases their desire to posses firearms.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Helsing posted:

In my experience if you push them on this what you'll discover is that the fact that history is full of conquests, genocides and displacements only heightens their fear that they are the next victims in line. It's kind of like how talking about gun violence makes a liberal want to ban guns but for a conservative it emphasizes how dangerous the world is and actually increases their desire to posses firearms.

I've always heard it as:

"Well you see, the natives also had war, slavery and torture, therefore..."

Argument from "natural state of humanity" I guess? Not sure if we have a latin one for that.

Might just be whataboutism I guess.

edit: that's also usually combined with "we just happened to win".

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Butcher posted:

I've always heard it as:

Argument from "natural state of humanity" I guess? Not sure if we have a latin one for that.

The only moral injustice is my injustice.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Might makes right has a long and hallowed tradition amongst people on top who feel like they're about to lose their status

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 29, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Dreylad posted:

Might makes right has a long and hollowed tradition amongst people on top who feel like they're about to lose their status

Yeah but usually they know not to say it out loud. Usually the people who are half-way under the boot aren't so dumb as to think that the boot didn't mean to step on them too. Then again, that dumbass youtuber Destiny clip.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is it with Nazis and going to hide/die in Manitoba? :confused:

Fun fact, estate auctions in Stonewall, MB routinely include Nazi memorabilia!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Butcher posted:

I've always heard it as:

We saved them from the Spanish, we were the good guys of that period. High school history.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The Butcher posted:

I've always heard it as:

More or less yes. As with many half formed conservative ideas it reaches its ]apotheosis in Nazism where these ideas are spelled out quite explicitly:

quote:

[i[Background: This is a chapter from a 5th grade biology textbook for girls, published in the midst of the war. The first part of the book discusses genetics, spring, summer, fall, and winter in the forest, and the human body. The book then goes on to apply these principles to human beings. Given what we know was going on in 1942, when this book was printed, it is clear that textbooks, too, were a part of propaganda.

The source: Marie Harm and Hermann Wiehle, Lebenskunde für Mittelschulen. Fünfter Teil. Klasse 5 für Mädchen (Halle: Hermann Schroedel Verlag, 1942), pp. 168-173.[/i]

The Laws of Nature and Humanity

I.
We have established that all creatures, plants as well as animals, are in a constant battle for survival. Plants crowd into the area they need to grow. Every plant that fails to secure enough room and light must necessarily die. Every animal that does not secure sufficient territory and guard it against other predators, or lacks the necessary strength and speed or caution and cleverness will fall prey to its enemies. The army of plant eaters threatens the plant kingdom. Plant eaters are prey for carnivores. The battle for existence is hard and unforgiving, but is the only way to maintain life. This struggle eliminates everything that is unfit for life, and selects everything that is able to survive.

We have seen that the laws of nature are built on a struggle for survival. The slow-moving herbivores (e.g., cows) have weapons, the speedier ones (e.g., horses or rabbits) use that speed to escape predators. The rabbit instinctively conceals the traces that lead to his den. As a prey, his eyes are to the sides of his head, while a carnivore’s are to the front. The hedgehog has his needles, toads and salamanders have poisonous skins. Predators have keen senses, a powerful spring, sharp teeth, and claws. If we further consider protective coloring, camouflage, and other coloring (above all with young animals), and that each animal has different gifts in seeing and smelling that are appropriate for its needs, we can see everywhere that living creatures are well prepared for the battle for survival. (Compare offensive and defensive characteristics of the various animals!) Animals at our latitude have many characteristics that enable them to survive winter: storing food, hibernation, migration, winter pelts... The same is true for plants. Poisons of various types, irritants, thorns, and needles protect them from herbivores. (Remember the earlier examples!) Seeds that can survive the winter, roots, storage ability (Examples!), enable plants to survive the cold months. By ground leaves, growing high, pyramidal structure, leaf mosaics, climbing, winding, spreading (the dog rose), plants seek the necessary light for their leaves.

All the various habitats are heavily populated; every creature has to fight for its survival and wants to be a winner in this battle. This is summarized in the principle: Each individual wants to maintain its existence in the struggle for survival (self preservation instinct, fighting will, individuality).

Mankind, too, is subject to these natural laws, and has won its dominant position through struggle. This is obvious when we consider the prehistoric hunting age. People then had both to secure their own prey, and protect themselves against the larger carnivores. This old form of the struggle for existence does not, of course, exist in civilized nations any longer. Early man lived in hordes, we live in an ethnic state. The state takes responsibility for territory and much, much more. Nonetheless, each must win his place in his community. As Moltke said, “In the long run, only the hardworking are lucky.” True, the larger carnivores are lacking, but bacteria and other tiny carriers of disease are no small danger. Consider the enormous scientific efforts (the struggle for survival!) men have made, and continue to make, to master these enemies, to defeat diseases! Each of us must keep his body strong through exercise and healthy living habits in order to develop his capacities and use them to serve his people. Those who do not do so are unsuitable for the more refined, yet just as relentless, nature of our struggle for life and will perish. Our Führer tells us:

He who wants to live must fight, and he who does not want to fight in this world of perpetual struggle does not deserve to live!” (Mein Kampf, p. 317)

I emphasize though that I've heard more or less the same sentiments - life is a struggle between groups, we have to look out for our group because if we're not on top we'll be on the bottom - are common in a certain kind of conservative.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

What's wrong with being on the bottom? :ohdear:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

What's wrong with being on the bottom? :ohdear:

They assume that they'll be receiving the same kind of treatment that they once gave to folks considered beneath them.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
MB leaders debate cut out at the end so the final words were "remember to get out" instead of "remember to get out and vote." :lol:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Green Party leader during the debate did not look good lol. I don’t blame him though, I wouldn’t want to be speaking on tv either.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Here's a candidate for you to vote for in North Burnaby-Seymour.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 29, 2019

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

quote:

Amita Kuttner on Being a Green, Non-Binary, and Pansexual Astrophysicist and Politician

Ugggghhhh who cares. Huff your own farts harder. I'm lefty as gently caress and the headline alone is enough to get an eye roll.

quote:

Could you talk a bit about gender-inclusive policy?

I don’t want this to be the whole campaign. It’s not the only thing I care about. But it is also important that every piece of legislation has different lenses put on it at the same time.

No, it's really not. If it has anything to do with gender based social stuff, of course. But how should we apply a gendered lens to deciding which brown people exploding fighter jet is best suited to buy?

gently caress I'm turning into Rex Murphy in my 30's.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Butcher posted:

welcome, friend

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
At least they aren't a Green, Non-Binary, and Pansexual Astrologist.

It could always be worse.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

The Butcher posted:

At least they aren't a Green, Non-Binary, and Pansexual Astrologist.

It could always be worse.

Going non-binary is how kids rebel when their mom is a computer science teacher.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Butcher posted:

Ugggghhhh who cares. Huff your own farts harder. I'm lefty as gently caress and the headline alone is enough to get an eye roll.

No, it's really not. If it has anything to do with gender based social stuff, of course. But how should we apply a gendered lens to deciding which brown people exploding fighter jet is best suited to buy?

Are you being this dense on purpose or are you just being ignorant?

First off, if you really were "lefty as gently caress" you would support the LGBT community, especially in relation to politics. Just because Canada has equal marriage does not mean that systemic issues are gone. These are best addressed by people with real life experiences in being LGBT.

Friends of mine in Canada who are trans have immense difficulty with the healthcare system, both in getting a diagnosis to begin with, and with their care afterwards. Simiar with LGB issues - bullying and discrimination have not gone away. Literally last year a serial killer was arrested in Toronto who was picking off gay men. The police did not care and did not link the crimes until far too many had died.

Secondly, do you seriously think that she was talking about fighter jets when she was talking about a "gendered lens"? I can absolutely guarantee you that she was talking about healthcare, transport, public works, the welfare system, along with wider issues surrounding the wording of legislation to be more inclusive.

I'm not here to defend the Green Party of all things, but when people start flaunting their "left" qualifications while jabbing at LGBT people, I'm going to assume that they aren't left at all.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

painted into a coroner posted:

First off, if you really were "lefty as gently caress" you would support the LGBT community

No True Lefty eh? It's possible to support something generally while acknowledging that certain messaging can be absurd to the point of being harmful when it makes 99% of the population roll their eyes back so hard it hurts.

painted into a coroner posted:

Secondly, do you seriously think that she was talking about fighter jets when she was talking about a "gendered lens"? I can absolutely guarantee you that she was talking about healthcare, transport, public works, the welfare system, along with wider issues surrounding the wording of legislation to be more inclusive.

They mention in the article that their preferred pronoun is they, but let's put aside your microaggressions for now.

It's also quite rude and chauvinist to mansplain their meaning for them when they literally said "But it is also important that every piece of legislation has different lenses put on it at the same time."

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Butcher posted:

No True Lefty eh? It's possible to support something generally while acknowledging that certain messaging can be absurd to the point of being harmful when it makes 99% of the population roll their eyes back so hard it hurts.

They mention in the article that their preferred pronoun is they, but let's put aside your microaggressions for now.

It's also quite rude and chauvinist to mansplain their meaning for them when they literally said "But it is also important that every piece of legislation has different lenses put on it at the same time."

I will absolutely without a doubt question your political leaning when you belittle LGBT issues. Consider for a moment why you roll your eyes at it. LGBT people are dying every day because of poor healthcare, social biases, and systemic bigotry against us. LGBT people are pushed into poverty, excluded from their families, and consistently ignored when it comes to greater politics. The only way to resolve these issues is by having LGBT people in politics who are open and unapologetic about their identity.

Sure, they said they will apply it to everything, but cop yourself on if you think that military is the be all and end all of all politics ever. It's an important issue, but it's less than 5% of what a government actually does, and it is very obvious that they were talking about the more pressing social issues that involve the LGBT community.

Reflect on your own views, talk to actual LGBT people, and especially talk to working-class LGBT people about their experiences if you actually care about the cause.

I'm completely fed up with heterosexual leftists who consistently dismiss LGBT issues as being incompatible with leftism, because the greater population don't care (they often do because people surrounding them are LGBT, they just aren't educated) or that the working class are inherently bigoted against minorities (which again, isn't true. Many minorities fill the ranks of the working and poverty classes, due to systemic barriers against their social mobility).

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I'm bi and out you dingle.

Messaging matters.

You aren't helping.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Just because you are LGBT does not absolve you of your regressive attitude. Your identity does not provide a trump card, if anything, it should spur you on to help your own community. And, for the record, I'm both gay and out.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the messaging in the article. They are pansexual and non-binary, and they are open about using their identity to help in lawmaking. If this seriously makes you roll your eyes, you really need to look around you and realise that identity is more important now than ever. Ford was elected partly on a pledge to remove sex education which included information on same-gender relationships and said trans people existed. Same person refuses to march in Pride, now completely removed from it's radical roots and the simplest thing a politician can do to feign support, because they didn't want uniformed cops to march. The Federal Conservatives are actively debating about recognising trans identity if they come into power.

This is not an issue you get to stand away from and say "yeah, well their messaging isn't good so who cares." If you are remotely leftist you should be 100% behind the LGBT community, and if you are *in* the LGBT community you should be 110% behind it.

EDIT: Additionally, do not even come near me saying that I'm not helping. I'm actively involved with local LGBT organisations. Last month I helped with and marched in Trans Pride. I'm involved with local politicians to help advise on issues regarding LGBT people. Personally, I am out there at least trying to make a difference. You are the one rolling your eyes at people who are actually doing something.

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 29, 2019

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Where do you decide the absurdity line as a politician or strategist steering said pol?

Keeping in mind that you actually presumably want to get elected and try to make things better and not just chirp ineffectively from the sidelines.

If I truly believed and said that I'm a demi-sexual, non-binary, two spirited otherkin (Original Sonic, not that it's any of your business), who is running for the position of Minister of Parliament, and that my very specific personal and sexual identity is going to be a serious lens through which I judge my position on every piece of legislation... Who the gently caress would take that seriously?

Keep in mind the planet is dying and there are certain time limits in place.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Butcher posted:

This is a thing.

Like for sure we all want gay space communism, that is for granted here, at least I think so. But we all need to recognize that overton windows are a thing, and therefor the necessity of balancing idealism against practicality. I often run into this problem with my own pet political issue, because I'm a loud-mouthed idiot that will step up to the plate when there's no pitcher.

Being unapologetic about your sexual identity is good, prefacing with it is always a bit concerning though, regardless of what that identity is.

Know your enemy and pick your battles, IMO.

But also I'm not LGBT or anything so feel free to dismiss my perspective as ignorant.

E: If anyone ITT is opposed to gay space communism, show yourselves cowards.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Jehde posted:

E: If anyone ITT is opposed to gay space communism, show yourselves cowards.

Personally I want luxury gay space communism.

And I will fight to the death for it.

I don't want to live in crumbling commie-block space communism though.

As in all things, there are nuances.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Butcher posted:

If I truly believed and said that I'm a demi-sexual, non-binary, two spirited otherkin (Original Sonic, not that it's any of your business), who is running for the position of Minister of Parliament, and that my very specific personal and sexual identity is going to be a serious lens through which I judge my position on every piece of legislation... Who the gently caress would take that seriously?

In the space of three posts you have gone from "lefty as gently caress" who accused me of pulling a "no true lefty" to pushing out a paragraph which is word-for-word alt-right talking points, ditto with the added concern about "absurdity". You are taking a non-binary identity, which has been catalogued for over 100 years, and two-spirited, which is a First Nations form of identification, and putting that on the exact same level as people who like to think they are a videogame character.

What you told me just there is you do not care for trans people, you don't care about the sociology of First Nations people, and you don't wish to learn or understand.

You fail to understand that people can care about multiple things at one time, and that LGBT issues are going to be ridiculously more important to LGBT people because guess what, they are facing homelessness, poverty, and death every day. Many do not have to wait the 12 or so years before heat death - they can die on the streets right now.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Well now you've made me feel bad so I'm just going to have to vote PPC.

:mad:

You've brought this on yourself, lefties!

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I'm cool with Amita and they seem like a decent candidate based on tweets I've seen. I like Svend better, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Butcher posted:

Well now you've made me feel bad so I'm just going to have to vote PPC.

:mad:

You've brought this on yourself, lefties!

Haha you post a lot of incredibly stupid garbage but because you’ve shown you can roll with the punches and appealed to your sexuality we’re all clapping and slapping our knees in merriment