Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Italian one has both DAB, the European standard for digital radio, and VHF which I’m sure in that iteration will cover the regular FM band. So all they’re doing is admitting theirs has less features than the one on sale already, ordered from the same Chinese supplier undoubtedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I don't know why anyone would want these things in the first place. Everything else aside it's a really stupid gimmick and probably doesn't perform well as an actual record player.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Okay, so here's a question I probably should have asked years ago but didn't think to: why are so many high quality turntables belt drive? Wouldn't a belt be subject to temperature variation, to say nothing of how it would eventually stretch and fail? What makes belt drive an improvement over direct drive?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

hexwren posted:

Okay, so here's a question I probably should have asked years ago but didn't think to: why are so many high quality turntables belt drive? Wouldn't a belt be subject to temperature variation, to say nothing of how it would eventually stretch and fail? What makes belt drive an improvement over direct drive?

Direct drive is noisier than belt drive, in theory, because the motor is under the platter. They're better for DJs (because you move the platter freely without damaging anything and they get up to speed instantly).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

RE: Fluance, I got the RT82 and love it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hexwren posted:

Okay, so here's a question I probably should have asked years ago but didn't think to: why are so many high quality turntables belt drive?

Literally none of them are. They're easy and cheap* to make and have the support of the crazies (which includes the entire audio press) so you can sell them for insane mark-ups.

*) The drive assembly, that is. Of course you need to use all sorts of exotic or at least exotic-sounding materials and stupid complex mechanisms for the rest of the player to make it seem high-quality.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Strap in for some more high-concept craziness:

quote:

The Residents are pleased to sponsor the release of nine 45 rpm demo songs recorded in the mid 1970s by long lost bluesman, Alvin Snow, aka Dyin’ Dog. Brought to their attention in 2016 by musician and colleague, Roland Sheehan, the group was amazed by the quality and intensity of these previously unheard recordings. Compelled by the passion of Snow’s performance, the band persuaded us at Psychofon Records to release all nine demos in a deluxe boxset and let Dyin’ Dog speak for himself.

With the support of Psychofon Records, on Sept 28, 2019, The Residents are sponsoring the release of a boxed set containing the long lost Dyin’ Dog Demos. In addition, the band is already hard at work re-creating their own versions of Alvin Snow’s songs for their next album, Metal, Meat & Bone – The Songs of Dyin’ Dog – to be released in February of 2020.
Tracklist –

Record 1
A – Bury my Bones
B – River Runs Dry

Record 2
A – Die! Die! Die!
B – Pass for White

Record 3
A – Hungry Hound
B – The Dog’s Dream

Record 4
A – I Know
B – Tell Me

Record 5
A – Mamma don’t go
B – Blank

Now, Listening to the one song that's been posted it's obvious to me that it's a Residents recording, so my train of thought is they've created a fake blues musician whole-cloth in order to record a straight-forward Blues album and then are going back and re-recording them Residents-style for a companion album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

Audiophiles are stupid.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Direct drive is noisier than belt drive, in theory, because the motor is under the platter. They're better for DJs (because you move the platter freely without damaging anything and they get up to speed instantly).

Isn't this just a bunch of bullshit that people buy into like gold plated wall sockets and those little stands that keep your speaker cable from touching the floor? I can at least see the logic behind it but it seems like one of those things where if the difference is even audible it's so miniscule it's barely perceptible if at all.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Photex posted:

I think I finally determined what TT I wanted to go for to upgrade from my AT60 and was looking for some opinions $350 budget and needs at least auto-stop as i'm pretty forgetful:

1st Choice: Fluance RT82 (But what preamp?)

2nd Choice: Fluance RT81

3rd Choice: Denon DP-300F

I think the RT82 here is the clear winner but it definitely hits pretty high on my budget and has no pre-amp

i have an RT82 i just recently bought under the same conditions as you. its really sleek looking and sounds pretty drat good. i'd recommend it if you're planning on buying new. the rubber slip mat it comes with is nice as well.

one thing to note since you're going from the AT60 is that adjusting that needle will be a motherfucker the first go round and some records (lovely ones) you have that were playing on the AT60 might actually have issues once you've successfully aligned your tone arm. the AT60 is very heavy compared to a properly calibrated set up. rip my death from above album thats apparently warped and i never noticed.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Isn't this just a bunch of bullshit that people buy into like gold plated wall sockets and those little stands that keep your speaker cable from touching the floor? I can at least see the logic behind it but it seems like one of those things where if the difference is even audible it's so miniscule it's barely perceptible if at all.
I'm sure I wouldn't hear it in a blind (:v:) test, but I do hear the very slightest rumble when I listen to unprocessed vinyl rips done on my direct drive table. Even then pretty much only when I specifically listen for it. I guess if you have super good speakers/hearing it might actually be intrusive.

I'm kinda sick of looking at spines in my Kallax. I want a display bin. Thing is no one seems to sell them in my country. Anyone know more about that "record bin from single sheet of plywood" how-to you see floating around on the internet? Sounds too good to be true. Other ideas, furniture hacks etc. welcome.

Also apparently Ariel Pink is reissuing a ton of stuff from his earlier days on vinyl? You can preorder a whole 10 LP staggered release. Certainly motor rumble vs. belt inconsistencies won't be a factor.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Sigur Ros Valtari (which is out of print) is on sale at Turntable Lab for $14.95.

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/sigur-ros-valtari-free-mp3-2lp?fbclid=IwAR1qs1YyJu59zpc-DRoxpLq9pB8RRFqV1QrxP_F2dKQTenZN7MCPc5WsbO8

With shipping and an additional 12% off code (bts2019) it comes out to $19.15 total.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Sigur Ros Valtari (which is out of print) is on sale at Turntable Lab for $14.95.

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/sigur-ros-valtari-free-mp3-2lp?fbclid=IwAR1qs1YyJu59zpc-DRoxpLq9pB8RRFqV1QrxP_F2dKQTenZN7MCPc5WsbO8

With shipping and an additional 12% off code (bts2019) it comes out to $19.15 total.

Oooh good album!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm sure I wouldn't hear it in a blind (:v:) test, but I do hear the very slightest rumble when I listen to unprocessed vinyl rips done on my direct drive table. Even then pretty much only when I specifically listen for it. I guess if you have super good speakers/hearing it might actually be intrusive.

I'm kinda sick of looking at spines in my Kallax. I want a display bin. Thing is no one seems to sell them in my country. Anyone know more about that "record bin from single sheet of plywood" how-to you see floating around on the internet? Sounds too good to be true. Other ideas, furniture hacks etc. welcome.

Also apparently Ariel Pink is reissuing a ton of stuff from his earlier days on vinyl? You can preorder a whole 10 LP staggered release. Certainly motor rumble vs. belt inconsistencies won't be a factor.

I gave up on alphabetizing my records a very long time ago so they're all just on a shelf in no particular order. Thankfully I ahve beep boop sperg brain (which is probably the exact reason I got into this stupid bullshit in the first place) and for the most part I either remember where they are or when I bought them and what they were with so I can find them based on that. Occasionally I do still spend 5-10 minutes looking at all the spines and yelling though. I have a lot of records.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
One thing I did for my kallax out of sheer necessity due to getting a puppy was make doors. I used thick plywood, some good self closing hinges, and some knobs. A couple hours of work and now it's a record cabinet. If you're handy at all that can be an alternative to bins. Aside from screwing on the hinges and knobs, literally the only other thing to do is cut the square plywood to fit.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
heres what I use, its nice but im running out of space

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

How long has everyone been collecting?

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Almost ten years I guess. My first three LPs were In Rainbows, Let’s Get It On, and either Station to Station or Let’s Dance. Can’t remember which!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I started with Sgt. Pepper and pretty much all the babby's first records over a decade ago and my collection has gotten pretty big since then. I don't even know how many records I have for sure. I've slowed down in the last few years because it's a lot less fun now that everyone is snatching everything up all the time (often to resell rather than listen to) and the prices are ridiculously inflated.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I was a huge metalhead when I was 15-20ish, and since 80s metal had awesome artwork, I collected a bunch of it for that reason, despite my house not having a working turntable. Didn't have one until I moved into my current place last year at age 34, and I've gotten a lot more serious about it since. So sort of 20 years...sort of.

Somehow almost all of the records I have from 99-2004 (mostly used) sound great! It was a trip last year hearing stuff I bought off of a European site (EIL) in 2000 for the first time.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 29, 2019

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CPL593H posted:

Since the early 90s. The first record I remember seeking out was blue oyster cult - Club Ninja cause it was out of print at the time. Awful record. But it was mostly stuff like that that I’d buy. Like the 2lp rush - All the worlds a stage has a couple of tracks that aren’t on the cd so I found that. And I’d buy bootlegs and stuff. I still mostly bought cds though.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Growing up, I had access to my stepfather's collection which was alright, and had some interesting stuff (this Dylan bootleg comes to mind), but also a whole stack of almost-country and weenie rock (Exhibit A, Exhibit B); he apparently had a huge eight-track collection in the seventies (gone by the time I met him in the eighties), which was supposedly where all his really good poo poo was. This was a record collection covering the 60s-70s with not a single Beatles record, so I kinda buy it.

The first records I bought for myself were at a yard sale in high school. I was at that time of the opinion that records were rare and precious, and my folks didn't give me a lot of spending money, so I ended up getting three or four records for like five bucks and then getting chastised by my best friend (who was there at the time) that I could have offered five bucks for both milkcrates' worth and probably have gotten them. Ended up getting CCR's Chronicle best-of, Yes's Close to the Edge, ELP's Trilogy and the Stones's Their Satanic Majesties Request (sans sleeve but listenable condition). Not having much in the way of cash and not having access to any stores with vinyl (or having my own turntable) basically halted my collection for a few years after that. Joe Nardone's Gallery of Sound had a lot of cool music, but it was 99% CDs at that time.

The summer of 2003, I was living in an apartment for the first time between my junior and senior years of college, subletting with a few other folks, and one of them was casually a DJ and record collector (they mostly had CDs, but had like three or four records on display---the only one I remember offhand is Isolation Drills by Guided by Voices), and left their two-1200-and-a-no-name-mixer setup (!!!) out in the living room. That was also where I posted up with my PC, since the bedroom I shared with this guy was a little too small for anything beyond the bunk bed, his dresser, his rack of CDs and the amount of floorspace it takes to access these things.

I don't know which was the first record I obtained while I was all on my own, but I've got it narrowed down to two - one was gifted to me while working at the college radio station, a chintzy 12" promo single for a then-forthcoming compilation of Sly & the Family Stone's material (this), and the other was found in the local record shop (Arboria Records), a copy of King Crimson's Larks' Tongues in Aspic record, which I hadn't heard before that point and desperately wanted to.

Since the DJ did all his practicing just into his headphones, I ran the output of the mixer into my computer and listened to those records that way, as you can see here:

Someone definitely broke in and ripped off those turntables before I moved out of there.

Over the next year or two (three?) I'd buy a record here and there, listening to them on whatever table I could borrow, until it came time for me to move to Texas, which I did with a half-milkcrate of LPs.

That was 13 years ago next week. This is where I'm at today, and they're all alphabetized (but in release order per artist):

(Yeah, I know my turntable is one step above a crosley, I've been meaning to fix that, but cash is never in the right place when you want it to be and we had to replace the rack-and-pinion on the car last week.)

hexwren fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 29, 2019

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I was also tired of reading spines and ended up building the single sheet of plywood cabinet. It took me longer to build than I expected, but it was my first ever "woodworking" project. I'm up to about 300 records and could probably squeeze another 200 in there.

My biggest hang-up was the lack of a table saw, so cutting out all the pieces took a stupid amount of time. I also used pocket screws to hide the joining and a veneer over the edging to hide the layers of plywood. Both of these added to the time factor. The finished product looks great though. I can shoot you a couple pictures if you're interested.

All in, I'd say I spent about 12 - 15 hours from start to finish. I could easily halve that if I ever build another one. I'm also a moron when it comes to building things so anyone with a bit of experience and the proper tools could be done in about 4 hours.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've been collecting since the mid-late 90s, but took a LONG hiatus from it during most of the 2000s. Bulk of my collection is from the past 5 years.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

I've been collecting for 10 years. Started off in college. I bought a copy of Asobi-Seksu's Citrus when I saw their show and figured I needed a way to play it.

Back then I ordered a (champagne faced!) Pioneer SX-626 on ebay (my winning bid was $36), which has since gone to my sister. I also got a cheap technics turntable and some thrifted records from a cool local goon. He sold me a lot of good stuff: Marvin Gaye, New Order, Beatles records, some CCR. I've been off to the races since. I think I'm close to 500 records.

I think my rarest ones are:
A handful of Velvet Underground/Lou Reed solo albums signed by Lou
DFA- You're A Woman, I'm a Machine autographed
DFA- Heads Up EP (og copy)
The Sword-Apocraphon
Nirvana - Hormoaning

I always try to get albums signed at shows so I have a lot of those. UMO, Mean Jeans, Sheer Mag, Feral Ohms, Phantogram, Asobi Seksu, Black Pistol Fire, probably some more I'm forgetting.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Due to a moving mix-up I ended up with my mentally disabled brother's record player (covered in Muppet Babies stickers) 13 years ago when I moved to Portland but didn't really start hardcore collecting until I met my best friend about five years ago (he had been collecting for decades). According to Discogs I'm sitting at 235 records in that span of time, which might be ridiculous, it might not be, I don't know.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I've been buying records since 2002.

I think the rarest I have is a mono copy of Bookends. Which came out in the middle of 68, which by that point, most labels stopped issuing mono all together.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

pwn posted:

Also actual shellac records weigh about the same as a dinner plate. I can’t imagine trying to play one vertically, christ

i know we've kinda moved past this but just saw it. Yeh that'd gently caress up your whole system AND the record. yikes. vertical players suck. i think a lot people get them ONLY because they want mid century modern poo poo which is a stupid reason imho.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Does anyone have any insight on stereo receivers versus headphone amps? I've been thinking of adding either one to my setup so I can listen to some records on my headphones and I'm a little torn on which one to get. My turntable (AT-LP5) runs directly into a pair of powered Edifier speakers, so I'd have to get new passives if I go the receiver route, but I like the expandability and option to run larger/more speakers. The headphone amp will help in the short term and I won't need to replace the speakers, but I worry that it'll be redundant if we decide to upgrade anything.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

If you already have headphones it sort of depends on your budget and how much use you'll get out of either one.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I started buying records 2 years ago only but I inherited maybe ~30 good ones from my parents. I've spent a disgusting amount of money in 2 years, but I don't mind because I didn't really pay for music for like 15 years so I'm happy to finally give some money to these artists I've loved for so long.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

https://shop.bandwear.com/collections/megadeth-shop/products/sup120

Today's stupid boxed set.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Chip McFuck posted:

Does anyone have any insight on stereo receivers versus headphone amps? I've been thinking of adding either one to my setup so I can listen to some records on my headphones and I'm a little torn on which one to get. My turntable (AT-LP5) runs directly into a pair of powered Edifier speakers, so I'd have to get new passives if I go the receiver route, but I like the expandability and option to run larger/more speakers. The headphone amp will help in the short term and I won't need to replace the speakers, but I worry that it'll be redundant if we decide to upgrade anything.

You don't necessarily need to get new speakers if you get a receiver. Your receiver should be able to do a line out. But yes, you then have the option of expandability/using non-powered speakers.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

About twenty years, I remember getting my first-first records at a library sale in ‘98 or ‘99, they were Stevie Ray Vaughan - Live Alive, Doc Severinsen - Tempestuous Trumpet, the Pretty Woman OST (...), and NBC’s Saturday Night Live (a collection of sketches from the first season.)

The first two records I actually sought out and bought, via the ancient means of e-commerce in 2000:

Both first pressings (obviously first major label pressing for Tigermilk... still have the original Jeepster card.)

My Really Great Storage System: The Floor

(Whoever that was that is sick of looking at your spines: I will gladly take in your unwanted Kallax shelves. :) )

My collecting has picked up in the last five years. About half of my records are from 199X through 2015 or so. I haven’t counted in a few years, but I’d guess I have about 200-250 records, not counting 7”s

pwn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 29, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I have been collecting for a little over three years and have an embarrassing number of records (more than I care to admit).

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

I got the new Sleater Kinney album and come on - tell me what side I'm listening to.

What is with records that do this? There's no way you can tell from the packaging. It's simple - put a loving one or two on your God damned label! It's not hard.

Sometimes, they at least have an etching in the center you can use, but this one doesn't.

Another one that does this is Boxer by the National, but at least the side with the track listing is side one.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 30, 2019

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

My setup:

The shelves were made by my father several years ago as a bookcase. Albums fit.

I've been collecting off and on for 20 years. We had a beast of a Panasonic when I was little, a machine with a tape deck, record player (33/45/78) and 8-track player. I still have it, but it's massive and was beginning to have some problems. I listened to records on it or my Sesame Street player. We had record players in classrooms in elementary school.

I inherited my parents' 1970s collection of LPs and 8-tracks. Dad had better in the 1960s, but grandma threw out just about everything from his childhood. So, it's mostly Linda Ronstadt, Carole King and the ilk. What's on the shelf is probably a third of what I have, but I'm not into Rondstadt and thus it's in a storage bin. I don't spent much cash on my own collection, preferring to raid Goodwills and cheap shops. I like the hunt.

Nothing is likely valuable out of the collection. Rarities include:
- A Greek pressing of Jon & Vangelis' Short Stories
- The Broadway soundtrack of Darling Of the Day, which starred Patricia Routledge and Vincent Price
- Promotional copy of Brian May's Star Fleet Project

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I barely collect records at all but when I see an interesting cover cheap I'll pick it up. This is how I wound up with a great condition copy of Triumph's Never Surrender from the thrift store which started my love for that band.

And in case anyone was wondering, yes I rethought it and chickened out on posting a dedicated CD thread. A good chunk of this thread is posting pick ups (which is what I was looking for an excuse to do) and it seemed redundant to have multiple pick ups type threads split along format lines. Do we have a general "check out this weird CD/record/tape I found in a shop" type thread here or no?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

- Promotional copy of Brian May's Star Fleet Project

I am somewhat jealous of this even though I got the Japanese mini LP CD of it. Also that Vincent Price/Patricia Routledge Broadway record sounds drat interesting. More interesting than my attempt to listen to the Addams Family Musical cast recording. I have heard Nathan Lane's voice far too often and it's beginning to wear on me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I have no idea what my rarest record is. Probably the Green Slime single. I also don't have any idea how many records I have. All I know is it's a lot.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Since sophmore year of high school, so like, 16/17 years.

not sure about rare records, but these are the median value of my most expensive ones in my collection:

dorium fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Out of curiosity, what’s the difference about your yellow copy of RTJ2 over the regular red one?