Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

sourdough posted:

Just root your watch

MAKE THIS THE THREAD TITLE NOW FORUM GODS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

All the reviews for the 2 (?) wear models with 1gb of ram indicate that it makes a huge difference in performance, so I would really try to get something with 1gb if you can.

I've read the same thing too and I'd be curious to see exactly how. I'm not exactly pining for more performance though I suppose app launches are slow, rare as they are. I wonder if it's an "everything is a little snappier" thing or if it's particular things are much quicker. Like I wouldn't expect memory to affect wake from sleep but if it does, great.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Is the new Snapdragon Wear 429 going to be decent? I stopped using my Q Explorist a long time ago because it ran like complete garbage. I liked having a watch but it was completely unpredictable and could last anywhere from 4 to 48 hours on a charge. I never used it for anything other than the time and notifications because it was slower than pulling my phone out of my pocket.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

Is the new Snapdragon Wear 429 going to be decent? I stopped using my Q Explorist a long time ago because it ran like complete garbage. I liked having a watch but it was completely unpredictable and could last anywhere from 4 to 48 hours on a charge. I never used it for anything other than the time and notifications because it was slower than pulling my phone out of my pocket.

Who knows? It will be modern and the assumption is that a modern chipset would have much lower power consumption just by virtue of the much smaller die. Right now it only exists on paper so of course it can be whatever you want it to be.

I'm surprised to hear about your inconsistent battery life though. My Explorist HR is mostly identical and used for exactly the same two things only and is remarkably consistent in its battery consumption at right around 24 hours. That was true of the first one and its replacement.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

I'm surprised to hear about your inconsistent battery life though. My Explorist HR is mostly identical and used for exactly the same two things only and is remarkably consistent in its battery consumption at right around 24 hours. That was true of the first one and its replacement.
It has sucked whole rear end after a specific update, I can't remember which one. It also disconnects intermittently and randomly hangs. I loved it when I first got it but it's pretty much useless right now. I've factory reset it multiple times but to no avail.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

It has sucked whole rear end after a specific update, I can't remember which one. It also disconnects intermittently and randomly hangs. I loved it when I first got it but it's pretty much useless right now. I've factory reset it multiple times but to no avail.

Ah yes, the "H" update. That came preinstalled on the fourth gens but I did read about the update causing a lot of issues on models that didn't have it before.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

hooah posted:

I did this a few months back because mine was also dying within an hour or two. It's like having a brand new watch again, it's fantastic. It wasn't too hard, either.

Would you be willing to replace mine?

What's the going rate on a battery and fair price to swap one out?

I love my 360v2 bit it's battery dies at 30%

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Krime posted:

Would you be willing to replace mine?

What's the going rate on a battery and fair price to swap one out?

I love my 360v2 bit it's battery dies at 30%

Nah, I don't really want to do it again. I think I got the battery for under :20bux:

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Got the replacement battery for my Moto 360 V2 today and it's like brand new now!

Would you be interested in replacing my battery?

Moto 360 for life

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Krime posted:

Would you be interested in replacing my battery?

Sorry, once was enough.

There's been a flurry of news in the past few days even though it doesn't really amount to much yet. I'm presenting these article out of the order they were written but likely a better order for the overall narrative.

Google canned a their Pixel watch at the 11th hour in 2016 because it was...not good.

https://9to5google.com/2019/09/18/no-google-pixel-watch/

quote:

Ultimately, the product was salvaged and launched as the LG Watch Style and LG Watch Sport. The report goes on to discuss the current dismal state of Wear OS on both the sales and developer support front. Citing sources, Business Insider says that no Pixel Watch or other similar Google-made device is coming next month.

Since the Pixel watch was recycled as those two devices we know that yes, they were in fact not good despite additional development time. It also looks like no Pixel watch anytime soon.

Second, it's rumored that what Google bought was hybrid watch tech from Fossil (along with 20 engineers.)
https://9to5google.com/2019/09/16/google-fossil-hybrid-smartwatch/

It may be that google is looking to pivot or augment wear in a direction that's not currently being filled by Samsung or Apple, de-emphasizing "computer on the wrist" and instead going with a more traditional watch with smart features. I know the LG Watch W7 wasn't that well received, but with the right hardware and software the concept could be sound and would address a few of the current weakness of wear watches (battery life and performance) by lessening the graphical load.

Finally, it looks like such a watch may be close to release.
https://9to5google.com/2019/09/17/wear-os-fossil-hybrid-smartwatch/

This device has popped up in several online listings and while none of the ad copy mentions WearOS specifically, the e-ink looking watchface clearly has WearOS complications and the feature set lists things like Google Pay. So, it seems likely that a hybrid WearOS watch may be on the way. This is different from the LG Watch W7 in that it looks like it forgoes a color LCD (or OLED) completely and relies on a background e-ink display for notifications and information display. The listings have the battery life as 2 weeks.

It intrigues me and I've always thought this concept was good as long as it was implement correctly. I would love to see something like this loaded with sensors that lasted forever on a charge that gave me 95% of what I use a smartwatch for (notifications and light information display).

I have a Galaxy Watch Active 2 on preorder because the size is better than the first Galaxy Watch Active that came out earlier this year. Aside from my self-refurb Moto 360, I do have a Fossil Sport WearOS watch that I picked up last year. I could see selling that off and picking up this hybrid watch to use as a counterpart to the GWA2, when all I care about is notifications and battery life.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I'm intrigued. I guess you're not going to beat apple on fitness and health tracking, so going towards more style and minimal function and alleviate the struggle of battery life could be a good move. I'd consider getting one, especially if they look nice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Only thing is the listings talk about them being 42mm and that's just too small for me.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

couldcareless posted:

I'm intrigued. I guess you're not going to beat apple on fitness and health tracking, so going towards more style and minimal function and alleviate the struggle of battery life could be a good move. I'd consider getting one, especially if they look nice.

Yeah, I honestly don't need a watch to do much. If I could interact with Android notifications and use Strava on a Fitbit Charge, that'd be like my ideal.

Edit: Although I want the opposite of style, give me some plastic thing and cut the price plz

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 18, 2019

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Well... I took my watch to a cell phone repair shop with good reviews. My watch did not make it. They said it sparked when the started it up after replacing the battery. DOA. So, now I'm watchless.

Is there any other watch that has an always on display like the Moto 360 2nd gen?

I'm seriously considering buying another 360.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Krime posted:

Well... I took my watch to a cell phone repair shop with good reviews. My watch did not make it. They said it sparked when the started it up after replacing the battery. DOA. So, now I'm watchless.

Is there any other watch that has an always on display like the Moto 360 2nd gen?

LG R and Urbane both do. Well, they are the same watch in different cases.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Krime posted:

Are you talking just an ambient display? They all do.

I went from a 360/2 46mm to a Fossil Explorist HR (4th gen) 45mm and I'd consider it a very small step up. I know I've made a post directly comparing my likes and dislikes regarding the move so if you search my posts ITT you'll find a more detailed post but in short:
  • The screen with a black bezel is more annoying than the flat tire but the increased clarity of the screen is enough that it's a wash.
  • The side buttons are way nicer to have than not, except for the Assistant button which will drive you insane until you disable it.
  • I don't know if my 360 was just always broken from the factory but the touch response on the Explorist is a million times better.
  • I still miss the stand charger from the 360.

My understanding is the 5th gen with the increased RAM is way smoother but I have no complaints about the responsiveness of my 4th gen. As for looks, in a vacuum I'd slightly prefer the 360's metal band, clasp, and bezel styling but the Explorist is by no means bad, it just too overdone when you set them next to each other.

tl;dr- Buy a Fossil Explorist 5th gen

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 21, 2019

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I love my 5th Gen Fossil. Very responsive and it looks great.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Thanks for the recommendations.

I'll check out the Fossil Gen 5s

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a Fossil Sport and OnePlus 3T. I get notifications on my watch, but it shows as not connected to the internet unless I'm at home and the watch is on wifi, and I can't use things like Assistant or Keep because it won't grab internet from my phone

I've narrowed it down to an issue with Bluetooth Tethering shutting off on it's own. I can get it to work for a bit by turning on Bluetooth Tethering and then restarting my phone but the Tethering will turn off after a bit.

Anyone else had an issue like this? Some things seem to sync back and fourth to my phone - heart rate and fit data sync, but not keep. I get notifications for WhatsApp and Discord but I can't send messages. Texts seem to work fine sending.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I also have 2 watches (lg urbane and Asus zenwatch v1) with Samsung S8
They often show the cloud with \ even though it works fine with notifications. It's hit or miss day to day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Moto 360 is back, in pog form!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/29/the-moto-360-smartwatch-is-back-but-motorola-isnt-making-it/

I refuse to believe there's enough money in WearOS watches that it's worthwhile for a no-name Chinese brand to license a name of a product line all but forgotten two years ago. Refuse!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Made by nobody, still costs 350. Cool

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

The Moto 360 is back, in pog form!

https://www.engadget.com/2019/10/29/the-moto-360-smartwatch-is-back-but-motorola-isnt-making-it/

I refuse to believe there's enough money in WearOS watches that it's worthwhile for a no-name Chinese brand to license a name of a product line all but forgotten two years ago. Refuse!

Only available in the smaller size and lacks the best feature of the 360 which was the display of the screen extending all the way to the bezel without a blank ring around it. Way to miss the point.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Wife wants a new watch to pair with her pixel 3 XL. Her Gear S2 isn't working so well with it? Recommend one ?

She'll want a sporty one, not a dressy one.

I'll get the newest Samsung unless otherwise told not to.

Thinking a genuine wear os would be better than Samsung with non Samsung phone ?!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TheReverend posted:

Thinking a genuine wear os would be better than Samsung with non Samsung phone ?!

As someone who owns a shitton of WearOS devices and have been mostly on Pixel and OnePlus phones, untrue.

Buy the Galaxy Active 2 and don't look back. I love mine and I generally dislike Samsung software.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Okay that's easy.
Thanks duder.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

She did mention she'd like to use Android pay though .

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, Android pay and Samsung pay are pretty functionally equivalent when it comes to paying on a watch.

I honestly gave up on using Google pay on my fossil sport because it was so goddamn laggy I looked like an idiot trying to pay with my watch. The Gen 5 may be a bit better with the more RAM it has, but wearOS watches just require so much patience to use them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, WearOS as an exercise tracker and notification viewer is totally fine, but I wouldn't use it or count on it for much more, certainly not paying for stuff quickly and without hassle

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My bank doesn't support Google Pay nor Samsung Pay :negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, I've owned/currently own:

Moto 360 gen1
Moto 360 gen2
Misfit Vapor
Fossil Sport

I'm also keeping an eye out for a sale on the Gen 5 this holiday season because I'm a glutton for punishment.

I also know this is a WearOS thread, but I have to reiterate how much I do like the Watch Active 2. It performs well, the continuous heartrate tracking and automatic activity tracking are really impressive and the battery life is unreal coming from the WearOS world.

I have the 44mm so it has the slightly larger battery, but it's a revelation coming from the Fossil Sport. 12-14 hours on the Fossil Sport would have me down into the 30s to 20s percent battery. The same amount of time on the Watch Active 2 (WITH continuous HR tracking and AOD) usually has me at about 82-78% battery left. Putting it in nightime mode which blanks the display but still does sleep tracking only makes it lose about another 5-10% overnight.

I was just on a week long trip for work. I charged it fully Monday morning before I left. From there on out, I wore it pretty much 24/7 (using it for my alarms in the morning and sleep tracking) and I only charged it in the morning while I was showering (which means about 15-20 minutes a day). That was enough to keep it working for me all week until thursday night when I was finally down into the 20s so I charged it fully Thursday evening before bed for the trip home on Friday. That charge on Thursday evening lasted me through to YESTERDAY evening with no other charging when I was down to 25%.

With a WearOS device, I would be charging it twice a day fully for over an hour if I was wearing it to bed to use as an alarm and wanted it to last the full workday.

WearOS devices are just so loving far behind at this point.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My Huawei watch 2 is laggy as well but it's more reliable than my actual debit card somehow

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

My bank doesn't support Google Pay nor Samsung Pay :negative:

Sup HSBC bro

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was using Google pay quite a bit and then my credit card company sent me a replacement with the contactless payment chip so now I usually just use that

Which is nice because Google pay on the watch(fossil sport) is super slow

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Sup HSBC bro

TD :(

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

VelociBacon posted:

Sup HSBC bro

That's weird, HSBC supports Google Pay in the UK.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
My bank didn't support any sort of third party nfc payment(apple pay, google pay or garmin pay) so i just got a prepaid mastercard (from an app) which did. Much simpler than waiting forever for my main bank to wake up and add that functionality.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had no problem with Google Pay on HSBC in Canada. :shrug:

Each HSBC region is fairly independent though, as I learned after moving countries and suddenly getting a $35 per month charge and much worse app.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I took a flight today and now Wear OS isn't seeing my 360/2. The Bluetooth menu says it's connected, as does Motorola's Connect app. Weirdly, Wear OS is acting like it hasn't been set up at all. Do I have to just suck it up and reset the watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gen 5, about the only WearOS worth buying, is down to $205 on Amazon right now.