Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the parliamentary leader of M5S is a guy in his early 30s whose day job before this was, i poo poo you not, webmaster for the Stadio San Paolo in Naples (home of the Napoli soccer club)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

a conservative party here in portugal was one of the many parties around that world that used a hentai cover as a meme about "gender theory" and the author came out disavowing its usage lol
i hate this deadbrained country at times but gotta love how even conservative journals came out against the party

The Rui Tavares editorial about it could be summed up by him just squeezing his temples for a solid few hours.

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mortons stork posted:

e: m5s initially started as basically civil society orgs in medium-to-large urban centers to lobby for better environmental policy, transparency in admin, better public services and the like. thats part of what made them so appealing, they were basically grassroots. you have to draw a distinction between these guys, who have been given basically 0 say in how the party is run, and the digital marketing agency that actually runs the whole thing (im serious, sadly), who coopted the whole thing and uses parliamentary deputies basically as ad testimonials for itself. national-level m5s is an empty box with no ideas, but it took 2 electoral cycles and an actual spell in government for anyone to realise this.

huh. that's pretty much how the whole direct democracy (muutospuolue) thingy went in finland. except that our equivalent party never got even one guy in the parliament. i was very into that whole thing 10 years back so i admired your m5s a lot back then, but ours just fell apart before the politicos got their hands on it. me, i got out after the first meeting when i saw the people i was supposed to be forming a party with

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
In french news melenchons party is currently tearing itself apart because some leaders and membership have Opinions about Islam

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Macron is tearinv apart everything and the top priority on the french left is We need to say Islam is Bad

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

what in the hell happened to melenchon? what makes France so hosed that they can't have a Corbyn, Sanders, or Obrador figure?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

The French managed to fool the world into believing that it was the Italians the dumbest people in Europe. That's whats so hosed up about France.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

get that OUT of my face posted:

what in the hell happened to melenchon? what makes France so hosed that they can't have a Corbyn, Sanders, or Obrador figure?

Wish i knew, its very poo poo at the moment
I havent heard about melenchon in a while, he only comes out for elections it feels like

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
His party's mps kinda run the show, and they're pretty divided so its kind of a mess

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
is it the good kind of mess where the lesfties win the internal class war and drive the party to the left and win a majority in the parliament?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Kurnugia posted:

is it the good kind of mess where the lesfties win the internal class war and drive the party to the left and win a majority in the parliament?

"we gotta get more racist"

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Kurnugia posted:

huh. that's pretty much how the whole direct democracy (muutospuolue) thingy went in finland. except that our equivalent party never got even one guy in the parliament. i was very into that whole thing 10 years back so i admired your m5s a lot back then, but ours just fell apart before the politicos got their hands on it. me, i got out after the first meeting when i saw the people i was supposed to be forming a party with

i think the distinguishing factors here is that there was strong antipolitical sentiment to capitalise on, and the m5s did manage to get one (just the one) competent administrator elected in parma, a city that previous admins had left literally bankrupt.

the other big thing is that beppe grillo, the nominal leader and comedian-activist founder of the m5s met with a crazy techno-fetishist who had crazy dreams of panopticon societies much like those libertarian memes about idiots who want everything..... on the blockchain. this guy ran a web marketing agency, who saw potential (for himself to get govt contacts and procurements) in the m5s as a national phenomenon. grillo had a lot of following, and the ad agency took care of turning that into real support with a huge social media guerrilla marketing campaign which other populists have copied in order to get themselves into office (think farage, now also salvini was doing the same etc). so they could turn out big crowds irl with grillo's shows, and they could reach huge amounts of people that nobody was bothering to reach out to, online.

add to all this how the italian political class is a gigantic clusterfuck of inbreeding, crossleveraging and blackmail designed to carefully gatekeep the political arena in such a way that only a heavily restricted class of local power brokers and well connected capitalists have any real say, leaving everyone else to beg for patronage from the aforementioned, and you can see why this movement ballooned, especially in southern italy which is basically stuck in a feudal-like power arrangement. their real moment of emergence was the v-day, which translates literally to gently caress-off day. it was a huge loving rally held just to say 'gently caress you' to everyone in power at that time. nothing else, just 'gently caress you'
imagine a political class sucking so bad that they engender this sort of response.

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 08:44 on Aug 29, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

mortons stork posted:

imagine a political class sucking so bad that they engender this sort of response.

I mean, we're getting there pretty much everywhere else.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

Macron is tearinv apart everything and the top priority on the french left is We need to say Islam is Bad

I mean, I feel that one of the biggest problems in Melenchon's party is that a significant part of the members and MPs must.... eeh.... not deserve pearls. If you see what I mean.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, we're getting there pretty much everywhere else.

the original v-day was 2007, symptom that the italian system was a creaky piece of poo poo already before the great recession fully hit

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1167040448902225922?s=20
Lmao eat poo poo salvini

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

just in time for the global econ to collapse under this wise technocratic coalition and salvini to be the only opposition so he gets 60% of the vote in next election. Wonder if hes smart enough for this to have been his actual plan

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

salvini is out of power for now, but his popularity is still there

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1167092524575535107?s=20

THS
Sep 15, 2017

return treviso to austria-hungary

THS has issued a correction as of 17:29 on Aug 29, 2019

Stefu
Feb 4, 2005

Kurnugia posted:

holy cannoli, tell stories about muutos 2011

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/populismupdates/status/1170718328421142528?s=21
https://twitter.com/populismupdates/status/1170721203494903809?s=21

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Super bizarre.
So what should we expect from the new government

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

glad that europe is coming to their senses and america is still loving goddamn stupid

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHOkPZlB3k0

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

glad that europe is coming to their senses and america is still loving goddamn stupid

Europe is definitely going to be fascist by the time the first climate refugees are starting to come in

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the big concern in france right now is anti-white racism

as in it's been all over the media for over a week, people being mean to whites is worse than everything

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did they figure out yet that there's no such thing as anti-white racism?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Andrast posted:

Europe is definitely going to be fascist by the time the first climate refugees are starting to come in
i've seen arguments that the syrian civil war was caused by a movement of people to cities due to climate change, so if you go by that standard, they've already arrived, and europe's response wavers between better than america and worse. currently it's doing better but who knows

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i've seen arguments that the syrian civil war was caused by a movement of people to cities due to climate change, so if you go by that standard, they've already arrived, and europe's response wavers between better than america and worse

That's a paltry million refugees, not the hundreds of millions that will happen sooner or later

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Andrast posted:

That's a paltry million refugees, not the hundreds of millions that will happen sooner or later
The first climate refugees have still arrived though. Still, Europe definitely isn't getting desensitized to refugees, so it's more a question of whether it'll be a united front that proactively prevents refugees from getting to Europe in the first place, or Northern Europe using Southern Europe as a buffer zone that can take care of all these refugees without getting its hands dirty. I mean, before Southern Europeans become climate refugees themselves.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

oliwan posted:

Did they figure out yet that there's no such thing as anti-white racism?

Not yet

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Media even invited some rear end in a top hat who founded an anti-white racism association, and let him present himself as an antiracist militant lol
Them some football commentator said that the biggest problem in french football was antiwhite racism, that it was the reason there wasnt more white players

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Best part was that the whole thing started because of thuram's response to the italian supporters doing monkey noise at black player , because he said something like "white people believe they are superior to others" in response to that

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

before 2050 europeans will have installed giant robot arms in every town square that are used to squish entire refugee families to death

after 2050 the refugee family squishing programs will be so popular that they'll sell tickets to the citizenry for the privilege of watching the families getting squished in person

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Honest Thief posted:

a conservative party here in portugal was one of the many parties around that world that used a hentai cover as a meme about "gender theory" and the author came out disavowing its usage lol
i hate this deadbrained country at times but gotta love how even conservative journals came out against the party

which one

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Macron want to stop migrants from getting medical help reimbursed, including psychiatric help

https://twitter.com/jjalmad/status/1171494255044378624?s=19

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The goal is too limit frances attractiveness as a health care provider, accoeding to macron. This comes days after marine lepen said "france shouldnt be a land of asylum for the mentally ill"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Good thing we didnt vote for the fash lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Liberals are the vanguard of fascists.