Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Maugrim posted:

I have like 150 hours played in Cultist Simulator and I'm really confused by this exchange

The new DLC is delicious. You should try a taste; if you’ve lost that much time to this endeavor I’m sure it’ll please your palate and give you a reason to dig this game out of your library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

BlondRobin posted:

The new DLC is delicious. You should try a taste; if you’ve lost that much time to this endeavor I’m sure it’ll please your palate and give you a reason to dig this game out of your library.

Ah yes! The one segment of the game I haven't tried yet.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Maugrim posted:

I have like 150 hours played in Cultist Simulator and I'm really confused by this exchange

That's.... honestly a pretty good summary of the game as a whole.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

god loving dammit i doubleclicked Morlands at the wrong moment, and, well

guess i'll have to auction everything instead, it's Lost in Time and Space

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hah, never seen that. I guess you could console spawn a new Moreland's - it should still draw from the same deck.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"Cultist Simulator creator Alexis Kennedy accused of predatory behavior by narrative designer Meg Jayanth"
https://www.gamerevolution.com/news/588591-cultist-simulator-alexis-kennedy-predator
https://twitter.com/betterthemask/status/1166757334103842816 (click for thread)

gently caress.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Man. This hurts.

On one hand, I was so happy that a few of my friends had finally publically come out earlier this week with naming their abusers. On the other hand, Alexis Kennedy has been such a massive figure of respect and inspiration for my own that my initial reaction to want to defend him feels incredibly hypocritical. I guess there's something to be said about never meeting your heroes.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://twitter.com/lmichet/status/1166758734191722496?s=19

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
RIP

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

Yuck. I guess it was fun while it lasted.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

god loving dammit why are men like this

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/betterthemask/status/1166757337954172928

Ugh gently caress.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
In a shocking turn of events straight white man found to be awful person. Quelle surprise.

Hope the fucker gets nailed hard.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I was really looking forward to Book of Hours, but I think it's safe to say that kickstarter's going to be substantially delayed at the very least. Too bad AK's a piece of poo poo. I don't know how much he could have helped himself by owning up to at least some of it and offering a heartfelt apology for the hurt that he caused, but threatening to call the cops was about the worst thing he could have done.

Rynoto posted:

In a shocking turn of events straight white man found to be awful person.

Very brave response, thank you.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 29, 2019

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Rynoto posted:

In a shocking turn of events straight white man found to be awful person. Quelle surprise.

Hope the fucker gets nailed hard.

get his rear end dude

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It's been pointed out that one really gross element to this is the way interacting with npcs in CS involves exploiting people in ways similar to how Kennedy is reported to exploit people.

Some movies and books and whatever have managed to still be a worthwhile experience after their creators got outed as predators, abusers and other forms of shitbag. I could still recommend Night in the Woods to people, for instance. But this pretty much nukes Cultist Sim for me. No disrespect if you have it in you to keep playing this, if course.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean, I bought the game, he's not making any more money from it from me playing it or not. Am I gonna support the kickstarter for his new game? Hell no. But I'm gonna finish this for all the content, at least.

e: gently caress him tho, little prick.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

Ragnar34 posted:

I could still recommend Night in the Woods to people, for instance.
I think I missed something with the NitW creator, although to be fair I don't actually remember who made it. That really sucks. :(

Really disappointed by this too, I thought he was one of the good ones.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ojo posted:

I think I missed something with the NitW creator, although to be fair I don't actually remember who made it. That really sucks. :(

Really disappointed by this too, I thought he was one of the good ones.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810967&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=36#post497821185

basically the music guy is a horrible abuser. :| The other creators have decided to stop all current development and drop him.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Bogart posted:

I mean, I bought the game, he's not making any more money from it from me playing it or not. Am I gonna support the kickstarter for his new game? Hell no. But I'm gonna finish this for all the content, at least.

e: gently caress him tho, little prick.

I think they mean it less in the sense of 'don't support them' and more 'wow, when you know a major author was a serial abuser the way you promise to enlighten your followers and then abuse them and shove them into life-threatening situations for your own benefit even as you intend to dump them in the trash come your ascension' feels... less like the attitude of an already partly-insane person ruled by obsessions, and more like how the author literally lived their life.

e: basically even if the text doesn't change, reading it as "this is clearly intended to be rendered as the player character is a bad person, of course *scoff*" and "oh, the author actually... did this, all the time, which means no this is what the author thinks is good and right for people in power" makes it feel very different and no longer fun.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
That's fair and valid, but it's Cultist Simulator, not Gain Enlightenment in a Very Nice Way Simulator.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Bogart posted:

That's fair and valid, but it's Cultist Simulator, not Gain Enlightenment in a Very Nice Way Simulator.

True, but now it reads like 'Serial Sexual Abuser Simulator,' and whether you're doing it for supreme doom enlightenment or not I think most people aren't excited to play that as much.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fair. I'm not trying to say anyone's reasons for not wanting to continue are bad, so I apologize if I came off like that. :shobon:

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BlondRobin posted:

I think they mean it less in the sense of 'don't support them' and more 'wow, when you know a major author was a serial abuser the way you promise to enlighten your followers and then abuse them and shove them into life-threatening situations for your own benefit even as you intend to dump them in the trash come your ascension' feels... less like the attitude of an already partly-insane person ruled by obsessions, and more like how the author literally lived their life.

e: basically even if the text doesn't change, reading it as "this is clearly intended to be rendered as the player character is a bad person, of course *scoff*" and "oh, the author actually... did this, all the time, which means no this is what the author thinks is good and right for people in power" makes it feel very different and no longer fun.

Yeah, I could have clarified. I could change my mind, and it's not like Kennedy benefits if I decide to play the game again one of these days, but for me right now it's just

BlondRobin posted:

'Serial Sexual Abuser Simulator,'

and that's miserable. It's sort of like trying to read Lovecraft stories, ironically enough, where the whole conceit of the fiction is informed by the author's shitheadedness, to such an extent that to read his poo poo is to confront it.

quote:

Fair. I'm not trying to say anyone's reasons for not wanting to continue are bad, so I apologize if I came off like that. :shobon:
No worries, that's how I took it. If you can separate art from artist here then I completely 100% respect it. Like the NitW people said:

https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/1166779405550718977

I mean, what did the game mean to you, right? I was always a little uncomfortable with the way you have to treat other people in this game, though. Couldn't I play a cult where we're all out of our minds together, in the same way? I wanted to share my batshit epiphanies and reveries with my followers, not use my followers to fuel them.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 29, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Has the game gotten better/less of a grind fest since about a year back?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Bogart posted:

That's fair- I don't think anyone's saying 'oh man if you can still play it you must be a monster' either, fwiw. Have fun with if you can and more power to you. There's something to be said for overriding your own interpretation over a terrible author intent, or just eking out the good parts of a troubled work, but that's a big YMMV point. :)

Pollyanna posted:

Has the game gotten better/less of a grind fest since about a year back?

I don't think the core gameplay loop's changed for at least a year? The new DLCs added some stories with different approaches, but both still require the same looping stages (buying things from the auction house, recruiting followers with the talents you'll need, cycling expeditions, anything to do with money) that would be the 'grind' of the game.

The systems involving assembling lore are significantly less random, but now mandate you prepare certain elements in advance, which is on the overall much less frustrating but not significantly less time or attention intensive than just shoving the lores at the study command over and over until it sucks up three reasons/passions or just succeeds for no reason anyway.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Sort of. Expedition rewards are no longer random, so if you want something specific then you can go directly to it. Combining lore is way easier and more predictable. It's still a bit of a hassle, tough, and, while I want to recommend all the DLC if you don't have it already, all three of which are well written and refresh the experience, that would mean giving a few extra bucks to Alexis Kennedy.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hey the old Cultist Sim thread is kicking today! Maybe some juicy new info has been announ-

:smith:

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

I guess we're now realising Saliba is an author self insert. (I'm sorry)

Also I'm really glad to see that tweet from the remaining Night in the Woods guys. It's good to see a company responding like that, especially when I've enjoyed their work so much.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Ragnar34 posted:

It's been pointed out that one really gross element to this is the way interacting with npcs in CS involves exploiting people in ways similar to how Kennedy is reported to exploit people.

Some movies and books and whatever have managed to still be a worthwhile experience after their creators got outed as predators, abusers and other forms of shitbag. I could still recommend Night in the Woods to people, for instance. But this pretty much nukes Cultist Sim for me. No disrespect if you have it in you to keep playing this, if course.

Just remember how much Lovecraft was a racist hosed up rear end in a top hat. I will not be buying anymore of his works or recommending anything he has written. I will try to look pass it but man come on how loving hard is it just to treat people like people.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
https://twitter.com/babelfishwars/status/1166788762392829953
https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/1166758340300591105
https://twitter.com/twoscooters/status/1166822830211764225
https://twitter.com/failbettergames/status/1166824225778352129

"The nature of my crimes was vague, and the trial contentious. But there is a consensus that I have done something I should not. I wish it could have been different. I wish that I could have done everything I should not." - Alexis Kennedy

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ephemeron posted:

"The nature of my crimes was vague, and the trial contentious. But there is a consensus that I have done something I should not. I wish it could have been different. I wish that I could have done everything I should not." - Alexis Kennedy

:perfect:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

on the plus side if you got cult sim from the humble bundle he didn't get any of your money, so if that matters to you, you can rest a bit easier

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They never did give a reason that Kennedy left Failbetter, did they?

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Tenebrais posted:

They never did give a reason that Kennedy left Failbetter, did they?

Shagging the producer of Cultist Simulator, his present fiancée. Must be some interesting conversations going rn.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Vlex posted:

Shagging the producer of Cultist Simulator, his present fiancée. Must be some interesting conversations going rn.
Cripes, I would really hate to be Lottie Bevan right now. AK has put her in an impossible situation where every choice she can make (and not choosing is also a choice) will have a dire cost for her.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

BlondRobin posted:

I don't think the core gameplay loop's changed for at least a year? The new DLCs added some stories with different approaches, but both still require the same looping stages (buying things from the auction house, recruiting followers with the talents you'll need, cycling expeditions, anything to do with money) that would be the 'grind' of the game.

The systems involving assembling lore are significantly less random, but now mandate you prepare certain elements in advance, which is on the overall much less frustrating but not significantly less time or attention intensive than just shoving the lores at the study command over and over until it sucks up three reasons/passions or just succeeds for no reason anyway.

Then it’s completely irredeemable and “separate art from artist” doesn’t even work here. Good job, game.

Not even going to think about this anymore. Kennedy and his lovely game deserve to be memory-holed.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Aug 29, 2019

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ephemeron posted:

Cripes, I would really hate to be Lottie Bevan right now. AK has put her in an impossible situation where every choice she can make (and not choosing is also a choice) will have a dire cost for her.

Her twitter seems to indicate she's doing well independent of AK (although it's built off the back of the game's success), so she might have a career to salvage. Or a personal life I guess. Both doesn't seem possible.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Then it’s completely irredeemable and “separate art from artist” doesn’t even work here. Good job, game.

Not even going to think about this anymore. Kennedy and his lovely game deserve to be memory-holed.

lol at "he's a predator but if the game was good it'd be more redeemable"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Goons will be goons

“I was on the fence about the sexual harassment stuff but then I heard he hadn’t added QoL features and that’s beyond the pale”