Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I've managed to run into a complete showstopper bug. The Benicoff TV in My Brother's Keeper room straight up does not exist, and I can walk right into the twisted passage but there's nothing in there to do. Guess it's time to verify the game files and see if that fixes it.

Edit: Nope! Time to reset to the beginning of the mission and lose a couple hours play I guess.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Some I’m trying to do the trash disposal sidequest for Ahti and I think I found them all except one. Is there a barrel hidden somewhere outside the furnace room or deviously hidden somewhere or am I probably just overlooking it?

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
There's one up in a little nook on the wall to the right of the furnace, did you get that one? They were all in the furnace room though.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
OK, I'm going to try to avoid spoilers as much as I can. At least on PC, once you get to the Panopticon, don't leave till you finish the mission. I left to go do a side quest and it broke the main quest, I had to restart from the beginning of the chapter and lost a few hours of progress.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
If you're having trouble on an nvidia card, the 8/27 drivers make a world of difference. My local performance was already pretty very steady at medium considering what was being put out, but now I can stream encoding through my 970 at a reasonable 30-60.

Cardiovorax posted:

So, what exactly is up with that supposed "metroidvania format," then? How much of it is there and how good did they make it?

I would say it's less "metroidvania" and more "you can go back to pick up anything you've missed with progressively better movement abilities, in a map that makes fairly efficient use of space minus a couple intra-map elevators that are clearly loading screens".

There are things that you can't grab until you have later-game pickups/keycards and you'll be revisiting floors of the building a fair bit and wandering off the beaten path a bit more, but its not like you'll be hunting down a 250th missile launcher upgrade or anything. Nothing you'll ever be going to is more than a minute away from a fast travel waypoint, once you know where you're going.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

guppy posted:

This game is super cool, or rather, it would be if I could play it for more than a few minutes without crashing (same "game_rmdwin7_f.exe is not responding" message as thebardyspoon). I'm on an RTX 2060, and I've updated the drivers to the newest ones but it hasn't helped. I don't believe this is the cause, but one problem for is I'm on Windows 8.1, which is technically unsupported by the card for some reason. (It works fine for everything else, and the consensus is that the card works fine except that the raytracing features are obviously not going to work since I can't use DX12, and to use the Win7 driver package.

I’m on win 8.1 as well so that might be the issue. As you say it seems very cool, seemingly is running just fine until the crashes and is extremely my jam so hoping a patch or an official “hey delete this file” thing comes out that works for me fixes it so I can play it would be great.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Willie Tomg posted:

I would say it's less "metroidvania" and more "you can go back to pick up anything you've missed with progressively better movement abilities, in a map that makes fairly efficient use of space minus a couple intra-map elevators that are clearly loading screens".

There are things that you can't grab until you have later-game pickups/keycards and you'll be revisiting floors of the building a fair bit and wandering off the beaten path a bit more, but its not like you'll be hunting down a 250th missile launcher upgrade or anything. Nothing you'll ever be going to is more than a minute away from a fast travel waypoint, once you know where you're going.
Hmm, alright then, thanks. I kind of expected that it would be more Soul Reaver than Metroid Prime anyway, so that doesn't sound too bad.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This is fairly late game spoilers re: Ahti, or more accurately spoilerish speculation.

Does anyone else think that Ahti is probably a manifestation or avatar of the literal Finnish god of the sea, Ahti? I was already suspecting something before the late game missions where you have to go to Ahti's summer cottage and keep getting visions of waves and water sounds.

It could just be that Ahti is a magical Finn whose metaphysical summer cottage by the shore manifests itself through time and space, but IMO there's a lot in the game to support the "Ahti is a literal deity" reading.

Also, as a Finn there's so many nice little details in the game that probably escape non-speakers. Like the tango that plays on Ahti's janitor cart basically describes the Hero's Journey. It talks about a hero of a thousand faces going on a long journey, dying, getting but a few moments of rest and then getting called up again.

In the (again late game spoilers) mission where you're going through Oceanview Motel to Ahti's cottage, the radio broadcast you hear and use to drive off the Clog is a staple of Finnish radio: Merisää, or "Sea Weather". It's a program our national broadcasting service broadcast at set times of the day, and every Finn knows the experience of listening to ice hockey or music on the radio only to have it be interrupted by the sea weather broadcast.

Pulcinella posted:

Some I’m trying to do the trash disposal sidequest for Ahti and I think I found them all except one. Is there a barrel hidden somewhere outside the furnace room or deviously hidden somewhere or am I probably just overlooking it?

They're all in the furnace room, but some are high up in the ceiling, or in the blocked off side corridor entrances, or on the floor tucked away in corners.

Took me a few minutes to find them all also.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Folks, game good.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Crashing update: I just played a little bit without crashing. Unfortunately it's the morning and I have to get ready to work, but I'll try a more extended test tonight to see if the problem is actually resolved. Here are the things I did:

1. Deleted renderer.ini in the main game folder. This advice was going around and I thought it was dumb -- I opened it up in Notepad and it looked perfectly normal -- so I didn't do it before, but before I could bitch on their forums that their advice didn't help I figured I should at least try it. Obviously this seems to have reset my display settings. More on this in a moment.

2. Opened GeForce Experience and let it "optimize" or whatever. I had not done this before because I had manually updated the drivers and that should have been good enough, but I thought, what the hell.

At this point I opened the game, and it was actually way worse! My screen flickered between off, on-but-black, and brief glimpses of my screen, and the game never loaded. I used the Ctrl+Alt+Del menu to sign out, but canceled the sign out (I had an unsaved Notepad document open that was preventing it) in a last-ditch effort to see if I could get back to the desktop. I was able to get back to the desktop, BUT a bunch of extraneous stay-resident programs were closed. More on this in a moment.

3. Launched the game and played. I then died several times to the first named mob I've encountered, and then had to go, but everything worked fine during that time.

I had monkeyed with the display settings. I assume they are now set back to default as a result of deleting that .ini file, because the game is running in fullscreen instead of borderless. I have no idea what "optimizations" GeForce Experience made. As far as the closed programs go, they include Skype, which probably doesn't matter, but I also have a couple of stupid gamer nerd peripherals (Corsair RGB keyboard, Arctis SteelSeries headset) that both have their own stupid gamer nerd control suites to manage stuff like color-changing, and those got closed too. It's also possible that there's some other thing that was running that I don't remember.

Some possibilities:
  • The problem isn't fixed and I just haven't played long enough to encounter it again.
  • Deleting renderer.ini fixed the problem. If this is the case, I dont yet know if setting it back to Borderless will cause it to eat poo poo again. I'm going to keep playing in fullscreen for now, and if I go an hour or two without crashes I can try setting back and see if the problem returns. That's a big if!
  • Letting GeForce Experience do its auto optimization stuff fixed the problem. That would be bizarre, but it's possible.
  • One of the closed programs was causing problems. If the problem stays gone and the Borderless thing doesn't cause it to return, I can try reopening these one at a time and see which one causes the problem to recur.

That's about everything I can think of. This has been pretty frustrating, so if the problem stays gone, maybe this info will help somebody else.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

This game loving whips. It hits basically everyone one of my likes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mid-game spoilers: When do I get the Levitate ability? I just got the main quest to go to the Panopticon for the first time to meet Dylan. I went down there once before and did a side quest but it looked like I needed that skill to grab the object of power there.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Post Game spoiler:

My god, the second Mr Tommasi fight took years off of my life. Hardest thing in the game by far. Two hits kill you, his shield regenerates super fast and he calls in both invisible and explosive flying pricks twice during the fight.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

so, gamepad or M&K

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm playing on a DS4 and the control layout feels very natural. I think there might be some slight aim assist on gamepad as well, either that or I'm just a :synpa: with Pierce.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

exquisite tea posted:

Mid-game spoilers: When do I get the Levitate ability? I just got the main quest to go to the Panopticon for the first time to meet Dylan. I went down there once before and did a side quest but it looked like I needed that skill to grab the object of power there.

Yeah I ran into this as well. Follow the main quest, you're just about to get Levitation and can then come back for the side quest.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

so, gamepad or M&K

I played mostly with M&K for those easy headshots, but TBH I only used guns as a last resort and mostly ended up murdering enemies by tossing bricks and fire extinguishers at their heads so ultimately either would've been fine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah I ran into this as well. Follow the main quest, you're just about to get Levitation and can then come back for the side quest.

Right on.

I've heard there is no NG+ yet but I hope Remedy eventually patches one in, or at least some kind of endless horde mode where I can throw office equipment at monsters all day. The skills are just too fun for only one go-round!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

exquisite tea posted:

I'm playing on a DS4 and the control layout feels very natural. I think there might be some slight aim assist on gamepad as well, either that or I'm just a :synpa: with Pierce.

There is aim assist in the game pad. I think you can turn it off in the options menu. I think it’s actually a lot more slight than it is in most games. I wish it was a little stronger.

Der Shovel posted:

They're all in the furnace room, but some are high up in the ceiling, or in the blocked off side corridor entrances, or on the floor tucked away in corners.

Took me a few minutes to find them all also.

Thanks! I was up late playing and my kid woke up from a nightmare so I had to stop looking early. I was playing with headphones so it freaked me out when she basically snuck up behind me :aaaaa: .

The game feels a bit like Vanquish. You could technically play both as a boring cover shooter, but the right way is to move quickly all over the place using your crazy abilities.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
1) the Auto-Aim assist on my Gamepad is insane, like don’t even bother ADSing it’s that’s good.

2) Not understanding the complaints about the map, except that the Red Arrow is where the camera is looking, not where Jesse is looking. It’s big, it’s solid, you can see your entire sector at once. Map is good.

3) The Threshold Kids are literally terrifying, incredible production values on the side content

4) I’m getting the low-level gamer anxiety from this game that I’m exhaustively looking at every nook and cranny and still missing stuff.

5) the big splashes across your screen when you enter a new zone are amazing and in general the level of presentation in this game is basically peerless.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s a similar mod easily accesible at the very start of black rock.

Black Rock Quarry? Processing? Lab? There is nothing indicating a bridge on the map ... not sure what to look for.

Edit: I think I found a room matching your description, is it the area right before the Atlas Chamber? The container did not have the mod, just crafting mats.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 29, 2019

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pulcinella posted:

There is aim assist in the game pad. I think you can turn it off in the options menu. I think it’s actually a lot more slight than it is in most games. I wish it was a little stronger.

The assist seems a lot more generous when running and gunning. That may just be me though.

cheesetriangles posted:

This game loving whips. It hits basically everyone one of my likes.

ahiseeyouareamanofculture.jpg

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

After you cross the atlas chamber bridge. Which is a bit of a puzzle to get the other side open. I don’t want to spoil.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Der Shovel posted:

This is fairly late game spoilers re: Ahti, or more accurately spoilerish speculation. :words:

i haven't played the game yet but based purely on the names in question my gut says "almost certainly"

cool info tho

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I want to play this game but the graphics and performance bugs are really making it difficult.

I've got an RTX 2080ti with 32gb of ram and an i7 6700k.

First an nvidia bug in their latest drivers requires you to force performance streaming to on in the control panel. That fixes the constant stuttering I was getting.

I also can't turn off or on RTX or DLSS they are both locked to on. I've tried running the DX11 exe and DX12 exe as well as starting the game through the nvidia app. I'm not sure it is even selecting the correct exe when running through the epic store app.

Not sure what setting on my PC is preventing me from changing RTX settings but I assume it has to do with the latest nvidia drivers and some sort of conflict, hardware and/or software.

Super annoyed right now because I love everything I have seen about the game so far. But I don't want to play it without being able to ensure RTX is on and is working the way I want it to. No one else has reported being unable to change RTX or DLSS settings in any of the searches I have done online.

I might just wait a month until things get sorted out and hopefully these issues go away and then try it again.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed on the autoaim being very very good. Pro strategy is to play it like Uncharted and just hipfire at people while running at them and then melee for the finish. I mean use your other poo poo too but that's the basic idea.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've considered putting subtitles on just for Ahti but I think only getting about half of what he says is kind of the point lol

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

The Walrus posted:

I've considered putting subtitles on just for Ahti but I think only getting about half of what he says is kind of the point lol

I promise you the subtitles do not help.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

:thunk: Well, you know.....

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Holy poo poo these optional bosses are loving trash.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shield blocks a lot of things you might not expect.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Shield blocks a lot of things you might not expect.

Yeah, that helped a bit once I realize that.
It doesn't block falling into tiny barely visible holes in the ground that that boss creates all over the place and you couldn't see because you were facing the boss with your directional shield though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, that helped a bit once I realize that.
It doesn't block falling into tiny barely visible holes in the ground that that boss creates all over the place and you couldn't see because you were facing the boss with your directional shield though.

Oh if it is the right I'm thinking of keep in mind your TK can grab his attacks and throw them back for huge damage which limits how much shielding you need

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Go back and get that ammo regen mod for grip before doing that part. Also, stay on top of the pillars and shoot the giant orbs and he's easy peasy.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Jack Trades posted:

:thunk: Well, you know.....

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was exploring research and found an elevator shaft and you can completely negate all fall damage if you just air dash before you hit the ground.

The dodge in this game is sweet, my only problem with combat is aiming is inconsistent between powers. Mainly my issue is that your melee always goes off in front of Jesse, even if that isn’t where you are aiming. Your service weapon doesn’t have that issue, bullets always go towards the cursor, but melee is stuck on tank mode.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Recently discovered I could grab rockets out of the air and launch them back at the enemies and holy moly is it overpowered. In fact, I think it must be because I maxed out launch damage already but with launch efficiency and energy mods I can stun lock bosses agains the floor or a wall while continuously pummeling them with office furniture.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Returning enemy projectiles is a skill you unlock at Control Points

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Launch was the first thing I maxed out because I saw how completely OP the projectile return was. Not only that but you can pull objects through monsters first and sometimes kill one off before the office furniture even gets to your hand. Talk about lampshading!

So far my favorite conspiracy document is the one about how Korean Fan Death is actually a real scientific phenomenon and the FBC created counter-ops to contradict it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The worldbuilding in Control is really really nice and the whole game is quite stylish but jesus christ I'm through half of the game already and the plot just barely started.
There are hours and hours of literally nothing happening plot-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

The worldbuilding in Control is really really nice and the whole game is quite stylish but jesus christ I'm through half of the game already and the plot just barely started.
There are hours and hours of literally nothing happening plot-wise.

I think Sam Lake picked up some bad habits from the TV guys he worked with on Quantum Break.