Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

is going from bellhop to red skull technically a glow up

I mean, he's probably doing a lot better, financially speaking.

Since the regularly have both Spidey and Deadpool make Marvel Handbook jokes, it'd be amusing to have them razz Skull about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

This will have as much lasting impact as when Waid introduced hypertime to fix DC continuity

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are there any continuity "fixes" that actually fixed anything? The closest I can think of is the Jean Grey Phoenix thing, but for the last 30 years its been mostly ignored and the main effect was absolutely destroying Madeline Pryor as a character.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Sliding time scale works as a general "gently caress it" band-aid.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You want to fix continuity? Like permenately? Reboot everything. Put every hero in their own universe. Even if the same characters are used, if a new writers in charge, have the old writer finish everything in an actual finale and then start from scratch. Anything else is a band-aid.

Edit: The joke is no one would want this, before anyone says anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mulva posted:

Sliding time scale works as a general "gently caress it" band-aid.

I mean like specifically written poo poo, not just ignoring contradictions like Spider-Man being in his late 20s and also once having teamed up with John Belushi.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Skwirl posted:

Are there any continuity "fixes" that actually fixed anything? The closest I can think of is the Jean Grey Phoenix thing, but for the last 30 years its been mostly ignored and the main effect was absolutely destroying Madeline Pryor as a character.

The Captains America that were around when Steve Rogers was frozen

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The Captains America that were around when Steve Rogers was frozen

So it's been over 50 years.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

What are we counting as continuity "fixes"? Does bringing the Human Torch back and not having him been scrapped for parts to build the Vision count? Does Thor having been on Earth prior to being incarnated as Donald Blake count? Hulk having multiple personalities? The Venom symbiote being more than just something from an alien clothing store? Magneto being a holocaust survivor and having between 0-3 children? Alicia Masters being impersonated by a Skrull rather than marrying Johnny Storm? Aunt May being alive? Norman Osborn being alive? Bucky being alive?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Serial fiction generally doesn't mesh with realistic continuity and it only gets worse the longer it goes on.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Lobok posted:

Serial fiction generally doesn't mesh with realistic continuity and it only gets worse the longer it goes on.

Well, it does if it's not serial fiction that involves the perpetual marketability of an unchanging core cast of characters. There are tonnes of boring newspaper strips where the characters aged in real time for decades.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Continuity is, to some large degree, made of the things that readers, writers, and editors remember, repeat, and build upon. Trying to quietly note a change to well-known bits of character history in ancillary matter will always be less “sticky” than smashing through the window and saying “VENOM IS DRIPPY OIL FROM A POINTY DEATH GOD NOW OK. NIGHTCRAWLER IS THE DOUBLE-DICKED SON OF MUTANT DEMONS” as loudly as you can, and building a long run around those things.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Android Blues posted:

Well, it does if it's not serial fiction that involves the perpetual marketability of an unchanging core cast of characters. There are tonnes of boring newspaper strips where the characters aged in real time for decades.
There's Gasoline Alley I guess, and there used to be For Better or For Worse? Funky Winkerbean and Doonesbury do it but kind of play fast and loose with it.

For the rest of them, Mary Worth has been an older busybody since she debuted in 1938. Pretty much everything else (and to a degree some of the ones mentioned above) work on the same level of continuity as superhero comics, where Blondie & Dagwood or Dick Tracy or Popeye are still young-ish/early-middle aged folks who have had babies that have grown into young adulthood over the course of 50-60 years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

Sure, and obviously the big difference is how much they're allowed to change but those strips tend to also be way less tight with how connected the storylines are. A year's worth of superhero comic books might only cover several days of story because there aren't even seconds to spare between the end of one issue and the beginning of the next. Real time ageing wouldn't make sense unless there were huge gaps between storylines at pretty regular intervals to allow for catch-up but of course since all the characters' stories are intertwined across the company that wouldn't really work either.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 26, 2019

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Every character should transition to their Old Man version in real time. Let spider-man become middle aged and get male pattern baldness :argh:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Billzasilver posted:

Every character should transition to their Old Man version in real time. Let spider-man become middle aged and get male pattern baldness :argh:

Let me tell you about a book called Spider-Man: Life Story...

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I feel like I read a single issue or backup story of every Agent of Atlas reboot and nothing else. But also it kind of seems like they (at least the original team) haven't ever managed to advance the plot?

The new team is pretty cool though.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Ewing following up on the Kree/Skrull hybrids story arc from his already mostly-forgotten New Avengers run seems like an odd thing to use as the foundation for a big crossover event years later, but I can certainly think of worse ideas.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
buried in the back of marvel 1000 is a page specifically designed to send rhyno into conniptions

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
:unintelligible noises:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I have trouble keeping my performative grudges straight, what about that page inspires such ire?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's been 5 years and they haven't even finished reprinting the existing issues.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

It's been 5 years and they haven't even finished reprinting the existing issues.

Isn't this due to Gaiman getting busy and them holding off on their plans to accommodate his schedule?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

In fairness to Marvel I think that's because no one bought the reprints. They should have just put them out as Graphic Novels, probably could have them written up in the New York Times either in the the Arts section or in the Book section.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vince MechMahon posted:

Isn't this due to Gaiman getting busy and them holding off on their plans to accommodate his schedule?

Maybe? There was also reports that they discovered they did not actually own MM at the time. They've since said all problems have been sorted out bit still nothing.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah there was a pause in the Gaiman stuff for a while when they sorted it out, and then they did a second wave and seemingly finished it off (or at least the story arch I guess). Then nothing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Thinking about it, I'd have preferred it if the last issue of Spider-Man: Life Story had been more about Spider-Man. Getting him into space to deal with some offscreen Doctor Doom thing in the wake of Civil War is all well and good, but it seems like a waste to have done it like that when the "Ends of the Earth" plot from Slott's ASM was right there already.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Wanderer posted:

Thinking about it, I'd have preferred it if the last issue of Spider-Man: Life Story had been more about Spider-Man. Getting him into space to deal with some offscreen Doctor Doom thing in the wake of Civil War is all well and good, but it seems like a waste to have done it like that when the "Ends of the Earth" plot from Slott's ASM was right there already.

While that's true, the symbiote being unable to not help Peter and stretching across the hole in the ship was definitely a really good moment that got me a little teared up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wanderer posted:

I think it was a subtle way to acknowledge Hickman's Secret Wars, where Doom was king of the (Battle)world and Miles & Peter teamed up. Plus they were already having a confrontation between Otto & Peter by doing the Superior thing, and this way was at least a surprise.

El Tortuga posted:

While that's true, the symbiote being unable to not help Peter and stretching across the hole in the ship was definitely a really good moment that got me a little teared up.
Yeah, that bit was great. As was the bit with the goodbyes to Aunt May & MJ, even if it was as figments of Peter's mind.

Also, Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-ManMary Jane was great. Ditto ASM 28, although they might want to compare notes a bit considering the differences in appearance between May in those stories.

And Marvel #1000 was fantastic.

It had not-terrible Greg Land art in it! Not great, but not actively harmful to the story either (although it was Conway, so it'd have to be horrendous to really harm it) I guess that's the Masked Raider's eyes in the Incoming teaser, on account of the Eternity Mask thing? And we get some Agents of Atlas love. And Eli back with the Young Avengers! For a one time thing. Dang, it was all great.

Oh and Power Pack: Grow Up! also came out today and was great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i cant say i expected that to be the end of life story, but i'd be lying if i said i didnt start tearing up as soon as the symbiote covered the breach all the way to the end

e: thinking about it, it is kinda :thinking_face: that the story goes immediatley from the explosion to miles and then miles and mj without even a mention of whether pete's sacrifice was successful and meaningful, like after all the previous oversized issues they couldnt even give chip enough pages in this one to actually wrap up what story he had

site fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 29, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Marvel 1000 served me and I don't appreciate it

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Man, Marvel 1000 would've been much more in my wheelhouse if it was just the focused single pages without the connecting story. Just give a whole bunch of writers/artists a chance to really go for it.

Also, called it:

Cloks posted:

Yeah, I reread it looking for plot threads that haven't been followed up on and was reminded that Kraven has the symbiote suit.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cloks posted:

Man, Marvel 1000 would've been much more in my wheelhouse if it was just the focused single pages without the connecting story. Just give a whole bunch of writers/artists a chance to really go for it.

Also, called it:

I wonder if that's what Marvel Comics #1001 is going to be.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Thor 16 was a great ending to Aaron's run. I'm gonna miss him; his whole run is one of the best Thor runs for me (obviously behind Simonson). Marvel hasn't announced the new writer yet, right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

Thor 16 was a great ending to Aaron's run. I'm gonna miss him; his whole run is one of the best Thor runs for me (obviously behind Simonson). Marvel hasn't announced the new writer yet, right?

The run has not ended yet as their is king Thor

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Cloks posted:

Also, called it:
Based on the final issue, I think you will find that in Soviet Russia, the symbiote suit has Kraven.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Edge & Christian posted:

Based on the final issue, I think you will find that in Soviet Russia, the symbiote suit has Kraven.

Boo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Marvel 1000 and while it was pretty good on the whole, I do find some of the pages funny (funny's not the right word... maybe irksome?) on years that they apparently just couldn't find something that great. Like, I get that these giant collaborations are not easy and probably come down to "hey just find something that happened in [year] and make one page about it" but the first half of the book are a lot of "character (not even necessarily an A-list character!) is introduced" as major moments and as it gets later it's just "uhhh, Erik Larsen wrote and drew Spider-Man in 1992, so lets have Erik Larsen write and draw a page of Spider-Man!" Like, come on guys, it took me two seconds to google "superhero debut 1992" to learn that War Machine debuted there but I guess no one likes him enough to give poor Rhodey a page.

Or a lot of Spider-Man adjacent pages. Oh, the symbiote suit appeared in '84, let's have... a page where Spider-Man shows up in his normal costume and gets a baby named after Uncle Ben instead of something related to Venom... or even just the same page with Spider-Man in the black suit! Or, the Clone Saga started in '94, here's yet another page about Peter's crippling guilt instead of Scarlet Spider.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 29, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i havent finished it yet, but things like having a page about america chavez in the early part of the book because a completely different character named miss america debuted was an odd choice, as was having ewing write fully half the book but not have him do the hulk page, but the thing that made me laugh the hardest so far was having kareem abdul-jabbar write the jessica jones page and then having LITERALLY THE NEXT PAGE be kelly thompson writing someone else

i said this elsewhere but i think this wouldve worked better on the whole if they just had ewing write a big one shot and then do separate retrospective book instead of advertising it as this big retrospective thats actually incredibly heavy on the male creators and having one guy write half the book for some interstitial narrative

site fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

God help me. Please. Because Brad Meltzer's page was one of my favorites in the whole book and gently caress that can't be right.