Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!
Sorry this question is about 3 months late, but I was catching up on some random things and flipped through War of the Realms and the Uncanny tie-in, and... why the heck, in issue #2, do Cyclops and Havok suddenly look disheveled and wearing heavy coats, and I think Cyke mentions he was resting when he was delaying sniping? I can't find anything that happens in the main book referring to it, and if it was in the WotR books I guess I missed it, that thing was a bit incoherent without all the tie-ins, it seems (which I don't have), so I started skimming it quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

danbanana posted:

poo poo is getting crowded.

It's fine, all of them die. Only Franklin makes it to whatever comes next.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I knew I should have put a loving * next to that one until Immortal Hulk raps up that future flash.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Ewing is going to just keep adding Cosmoses (Cosmi?) as long as Marvel let's him write books.

"The 24th Multiverse is... Moon Knight's eyebrows!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Jeffe posted:

Sorry this question is about 3 months late, but I was catching up on some random things and flipped through War of the Realms and the Uncanny tie-in, and... why the heck, in issue #2, do Cyclops and Havok suddenly look disheveled and wearing heavy coats, and I think Cyke mentions he was resting when he was delaying sniping? I can't find anything that happens in the main book referring to it, and if it was in the WotR books I guess I missed it, that thing was a bit incoherent without all the tie-ins, it seems (which I don't have), so I started skimming it quickly.

There's a time-skip between issues #1 and #2 of the X-Men tie-in. It isn't very well explained, but the X-Men show up right after the battle of New York in WotR #2, then end up fighting guerilla-style in the city for a while.

It doesn't really jibe well with the rest of the crossover, but that's Rosenberg's run in a nutshell.

Jeffe
Apr 18, 2001

Viva Ze Bool!

Wanderer posted:

There's a time-skip between issues #1 and #2 of the X-Men tie-in. It isn't very well explained, but the X-Men show up right after the battle of New York in WotR #2, then end up fighting guerilla-style in the city for a while.

It doesn't really jibe well with the rest of the crossover, but that's Rosenberg's run in a nutshell.

Well, I have no regrets letting myself go down the rabbit hole of reading those, because the reason I read WotR in the first place was to see Bats helping the evacuation.

(Edited for finding out the horrifying origin of a meme that I wasn't aware of :stonk: )

Jeffe fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 26, 2019

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Very interesting new issue. Things I took of note:

-Magneto and Xavier seem more villainous than they have in the rest of this arc so far sending Cyclops out. I wonder if Xavier is going to send lots of people on suicide runs and then have them reborn. Magneto seemed to be speaking metaphorically about Cyclops always living, Xavier did not.
-M seemed almost second in command of the team.
-There's no way Attorney General Tolliver is related to Tyler Dayspring Askani right? He's who I think of when I hear the name Tolliver in an X-men comic.
-Jean's worry over people literally building a genocidal weapon to me seems really silly
-Liked Frost and the Cuckoos scene a lot, although where is the third?
-Mystique seems here for Hickman to do some crazy twist - can't wait.
-Sleeping Giant is a very cool concept and love how that leads to the X-Men shocking Orchi's who think no one could know about them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, apparently the "diplomatic immunity" concept actually does mean that all mutants, everywhere, are immune to human law? That's... that's not how. anything works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It can work however you want it to work when you have superpowers.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fritzler posted:

-Sleeping Giant is a very cool concept and love how that leads to the X-Men shocking Orchi's who think no one could know about them.[/spoiler]

I liked Erasmus’ take on it. Immediately picked up on how much intel the X-Men had and reacted accordingly. Reminded me of the recent Immortal’s Hulk where Puck and his team are about to assault a base and say it’ll be a surprise and they’d need psychics to know they were coming. The next page is them surrounded by the base staff and the commander replying “yeah we did have psychics”. I like when comics apply dumb poo poo like that to both the good and bad guys and you see these non conventional tactics and planning.

Fritzler posted:

Yeah I’m loving what Hickman is doing with them.

Fritzler posted:

-Magneto and Xavier seem more villainous than they have in the rest of this arc so far sending Cyclops out. I wonder if Xavier is going to send lots of people on suicide runs and then have them reborn. Magneto seemed to be speaking metaphorically about Cyclops always living, Xavier did not.

Yeah I think this is finally going to lead / directly tie-in with the opening of House of X 1 and Xavier is basically using the X-Men as a suicide team and remaking them if they die. Which is.... pretty loving hosed up

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 28, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Aphrodite posted:

It can work however you want it to work when you have superpowers.

I guess? It's just hard to believe as something the US government would agree to or the non-evil X-Men would be down with. It feels like there are no individuals in this story, just mouthpieces for evolving ideologies.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Rand Brittain posted:

I guess? It's just hard to believe as something the US government would agree to or the non-evil X-Men would be down with. It feels like there are no individuals in this story, just mouthpieces for evolving ideologies.

Do you really wanna be the politician who turns down the miraculous anti-cancer anti-senility mutant drugs they've cooked up as their bargaining chip?

As for the X-Men, they've proven multiple times before that there is no moral event horizon that they won't be willing to go "Ehhh maybe they've changed, people deserve second chances" for, with their willingness only rising as the existential threats to mutantkind grow more serious.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus there's the Moira asterisk for anything that seems too out of character for some people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OnimaruXLR posted:

Do you really wanna be the politician who turns down the miraculous anti-cancer anti-senility mutant drugs they've cooked up as their bargaining chip?
I can see it right now: "The Senate approved the Krakoa Treaty today in an overwhelming 99-1 vote. Kentucky Senator Rand Paul was the sole dissenting vote."

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

yeah, now that the world building and big reveals are out of the way (for now) it's starting to feel a little flat? cyclops is the only real interesting character in the present day stuff so far, cause he's the only one who seems to have some reservations of the "leaders"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

Those two are Esme and Sophie, the two dead Cuckoos. You should be asking where the other three are.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Emma's entrance, brilliant.

Everyone's dialogue, kind of stilted, not a fan.

Paige Guthrie and Archangel, really? On a suicide mission even?

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
So... Hickman keeps saying "fauna" when he clearly means "flora" right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you certain? :o

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Diet Poison posted:

So... Hickman keeps saying "fauna" when he clearly means "flora" right?

I mean, Krakoa is an animal, not a plant, right?

ANIMAL SEEDS.

I was thinking that X^1 Xavier wasn't really Xavier- something I'm still about 50% in on- but after reading how ready he and Mags are to let Scott's troop die, I think there's a different explanation: since they know Moira is going to die and be reborn, they've adopted her "gently caress it, whatever it takes!" perspective. Soldiers are worth even less when you know they'll be back, right?

So if- IF- this is Moira X's life, it does lend credence to Life XI coming up, maybe the X^0 time period.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

oh poo poo. Suppose these are the issues where Scott’s team dies and comes back to life. What if it’s not just rebirth technology? What if they repurposed Moira’s power too, so Scott’s team comes back with all their memories in tact?

Mutants that actually can’t die. That’s one way to break all the rules.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

It would stand to reason why Charles has that helmet on all the drat time obscuring his face is because he's constantly linked to all his people on Krakoa making sure everyone knows their kooky knew alphabet, as well as possibly being a repository of everyone's consciousness for when they inevitably get dead and reborn in the totally not creepy pod chambers.

I mean Charles powers are being the most powerful telepath anywhere, so the helmet either amplifies it or also acts as a storing unit for him to have save-states of everyone on Krakoa when they inevitably die trying to prevent Nimrod and can get back into the fight without all that messy rebirth amnesia.

But really he's just Ultimate Reed and this issue cements it for me all the more, the grandiose way he talks about poo poo before Scott takes off, you'd think that helmet has a function where he'd be able to sniff his own magnificent farts. If it isn't a shapeshifted Maker he's involved somehow, Charles is way too sinister for his own good, and Magneto is way way too agreeable to not arouse suspicions.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 29, 2019

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I find it funny and a tiny bit maddening that when presented with the chance to make a new language, Cypher just makes up "English grammar/syntax, but the arbitrary letters are replaced with NEW arbitrary letters."

Give me Mutant Esperanto, Hickman!

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Aug 29, 2019

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

TheLoser posted:

I find it funny and a tiny bit maddening that when presented with the chance to make a new language, Xavier just makes up "English grammar/syntax, but the arbitrary letters are replaced with NEW arbitrary letters."

"...created to be mutantdom's first autochthonous language"

So it could still happen! Also Doug Ramsey created it, not Xavier. Assuming everyone isn't being mind controlled.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

TheLoser posted:

I find it funny and a tiny bit maddening that when presented with the chance to make a new language, Xavier just makes up "English grammar/syntax, but the arbitrary letters are replaced with NEW arbitrary letters."

I thought that, but it did say autochthonous. I'm assuming the krakoan we/see read in the back of the book isn't the krakoan they mention Doug inventing. Whether that's because the readers are given something else or there are two languages as CubanMissle said I'm not sure. Autochthonous is a very specific and incorrect word to pick out for a simple cipher.

Alaois posted:

Those two are Esme and Sophie, the two dead Cuckoos. You should be asking where the other three are.
What? I did not realize that but you are right. That is kind of big and I don't know how I missed it. If Xavier is just creating copies of consciousness and cloning bodies (as current speculation) he would not be able to do it to these cuckoos. Or has had their consciousness saved for a while (although it wouldn't be that wild for the cuckoos to have saved their sisters' memories).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My completely rando unfounded theory at the moment is: this is still a "test" life for Moira. This is a life where she, Xavier, and Magneto are intentionally trying to push the humans to the utter brink, the most desperate of desperate scenarios, because there's something she needs to find out about this eventuality as well.

...And then she'll reset it all and everything will be groovy again right?...right? :ohdear:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fritzler posted:

What? I did not realize that but you are right. That is kind of big and I don't know how I missed it. If Xavier is just creating copies of consciousness and cloning bodies (as current speculation) he would not be able to do it to these cuckoos. Or has had their consciousness saved for a while (although it wouldn't be that wild for the cuckoos to have saved their sisters' memories).

the first arc of the most recent X-23 series was about the Cuckoos trying to bring Sophie and Esme back to life because they do, in fact, have some version of their memories/consciousness stored in some way.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

My completely rando unfounded theory at the moment is: this is still a "test" life for Moira. This is a life where she, Xavier, and Magneto are intentionally trying to push the humans to the utter brink, the most desperate of desperate scenarios, because there's something she needs to find out about this eventuality as well.

...And then she'll reset it all and everything will be groovy again right?...right? :ohdear:

That would make some sense, since this is only a mini series leading up to the main X-book whenever both House and Powers finish. If I am remembering correctly that is.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

So, apparently the "diplomatic immunity" concept actually does mean that all mutants, everywhere, are immune to human law? That's... that's not how. anything works.

Diplomatic immunity exempts representatives of a nation from the jurisdiction of the courts of other countries. It's a personal immunity, attaching to everything a representative of a foreign sovereign does. It is indeed how it works - it's just no nation has ever claimed (to my knowledge) every one of its citizens is subject to that immunity. I imagine the custom would quickly disappear if nations regularly tried this kind of thing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Neurosis posted:

Diplomatic immunity exempts representatives of a nation from the jurisdiction of the courts of other countries. It's a personal immunity, attaching to everything a representative of a foreign sovereign does. It is indeed how it works - it's just no nation has ever claimed (to my knowledge) every one of its citizens is subject to that immunity. I imagine the custom would quickly disappear if nations regularly tried this kind of thing.

It resembles in many ways the unequal treaties forced by colonizers on their colonies in the 1800s, which makes sense because mutants are operating from an advantageous position.

There's some real interesting stuff in this series about inevitabilities in the way that mechanical beings develop. First you have the Phalanx from a couple issues ago, and now the idea that a Sentinel-producing culture will lead, eventually, to a self-aware, self-replicating Nimrod.

I'm starting to wonder who's writing the exposition pages. They definitely seem like they're in-universe. I would assume it's largely based on stuff Moira's picked up in her lives, or maybe Nimrod's databanks in the far future, but even ten lifetimes seems like a few too few to start making broad statements about the inevitability of the Singularity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jiro posted:

It would stand to reason why Charles has that helmet on all the drat time obscuring his face is because he's constantly linked to all his people on Krakoa making sure everyone knows their kooky knew alphabet, as well as possibly being a repository of everyone's consciousness for when they inevitably get dead and reborn in the totally not creepy pod chambers.
I'll give you the second part, but not the first. There's been plenty of times we've seen telepaths implant (for lack of a better term) full lingual understanding without having to be constantly linked.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Jiro posted:

I mean Charles powers are being the most powerful telepath anywhere

Canonically this is not true anymore, if it was ever. Jean and Quire are listed as Omega telepaths in HoX #1; No Chuck anywhere to be seen.

I think at least part of Hickman's logic with this is that Xavier needed Cerebro to enhance his powers and therefore can't be an Omega by (his new) definition.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

He was never the strongest - he was just the most experienced for a long time. His telepathy is heavily taxed by stunts Emma Frost can pull trivially.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Old X-Men lore had Chuck as the strongest telepath with unfettered instant access to any mind on earth. To avoid going crazy he shut down large chunks of his powers permanently.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Saoshyant posted:

Emma's entrance, brilliant.

Everyone's dialogue, kind of stilted, not a fan.

Paige Guthrie and Archangel, really? On a suicide mission even?

They should have brought Sam, he's nigh-invulnerable when he's blasted. :v:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like if Proteus is on side, you always bring Proteus. I do wonder what the deal with him being Krakoa-aligned is if he's not in use for missions like this one.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Android Blues posted:

I feel like if Proteus is on side, you always bring Proteus. I do wonder what the deal with him being Krakoa-aligned is if he's not in use for missions like this one.

Proteus, the mutant whose weakness is Metal. And you want to take him onto a metal space station and possibly fight a bunch of mutant hating robots made out of metal?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jiro posted:

I mean Charles powers are being the most powerful telepath anywhere, so the helmet either amplifies it or also acts as a storing unit for him to have save-states of everyone on Krakoa when they inevitably die trying to prevent Nimrod and can get back into the fight without all that messy rebirth amnesia.

But really he's just Ultimate Reed and this issue cements it for me all the more, the grandiose way he talks about poo poo before Scott takes off, you'd think that helmet has a function where he'd be able to sniff his own magnificent farts. If it isn't a shapeshifted Maker he's involved somehow, Charles is way too sinister for his own good, and Magneto is way way too agreeable to not arouse suspicions.

The only problem with this theory is that Ultimate Reed is presently appearing in Future Foundation. I doubt Hickman would let him show up in an ancillary book if he was so important to HoxPox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Yvonmukluk posted:

The only problem with this theory is that Ultimate Reed is presently appearing in Future Foundation. I doubt Hickman would let him show up in an ancillary book if he was so important to HoxPox.

He's also been in Venom and Absolute Carnage, so, you know, those slices get around.