Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boiler inspection date: July 25 2006
Year built, 1927

There were older ones i took myself but the pictures are gone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Explosionface posted:

Right. I meant to only speak in the context of boilers since so many are gas fired these days.

Oh yeah definitely both parts are very good at exploding

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Safer than what Larry Walters had at least.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, people are always afraid of natural gas explosions, but steam explosions are a hundred times worse. I may be directly attached to the boiler industry and have heard so many stories.

We have a big boiler that runs our steam kilns and it is uncomfortably close to where I work on the plant site.

Though it seems well maintained, each year it shuts down for a week and we replace lots of poo poo on it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Imagined posted:

The worst "first day on the job" story I've heard, from these forums I think, was the teenage kid who got sucked feet first into a wood chipper he was operating on his first day on the job.

https://abc7ny.com/news/north-carolina-teen-falls-into-wood-chipper-dies-during-1st-day-of-work/1115689/

aww, he felt chipper on his first day at work!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

So what does that "Boiler blow down line" sign mean?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So what does that "Boiler blow down line" sign mean?

If boilers turned all the water that went into them to steam, it would constantly build up minerals boiled out of it on the inside of the boiler.

They dump a portion of it as extremely hot water to flush the water impurities out. that water is so hot, it almost instantly turns to steam.

It's basically, don't hang around the death tube if you don't have to. make sure nobody is around the death tube when you open it.

The water in the oilfield is usually just sucked straight out of rivers or creeks, so often has a bunch of bonus goo in it.

modern boilers have cooldown tanks and everything so people don't loose like, skin and flesh and stuff.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 29, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I work a lot with low pressure marine auxiliary boilers and the old guys freak out about them because they're used to old time propulsion boilers and meanwhile in the oilfield people run donkeys on creek water lmao

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Powershift posted:

Boiler inspection date: July 25 2006
Year built, 1927

There were older ones i took myself but the pictures are gone :(

Beautiful.

A side benefit of blowdowns is you can use them to check your (water level) safeties.

Most incidents occur when someone runs the boiler dry and suddenly tries to add new cold water to the mix. It flashes to steam with a great big boom.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stonk:

I don't usually scream holy gently caress out loud but i screamed holy gently caress out loud.

holy gently caress

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 29, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Powershift posted:

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stonk:

I don't usually scream holy gently caress out loud but i screamed holy gently caress out loud.

holy gently caress

IDGI, is the weight of the (whatever that is) forcing the tail-end that low or is doing that to pickup trucks some sort of "thing" like rolling coal these days?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The weight of the cable reel has nearly picked the front end of the truck off the ground and has bottomed out the back suspension.

That's really something for a goose neck and a fifth wheel.

edit: I'd say put it over the trailers tires but it looks like if they moved it back the fenders would just tear them up.

Guyver fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 29, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Guyver posted:

The weight of the cable reel has nearly picked the front end of the truck off the ground and has bottomed out the back suspension.

also tie downs because if it gets froggy that 18 gauge steel isn't gonna stop it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Guyver posted:

edit: I'd say put it over the trailers tires but it looks like if they moved it back the fenders would just tear them up.

Shouldn't the spool be over the triple axle and not at the front of the trailer?

edit - efb

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The cable reel looks obviously warped. I'm guessing it was originally secured in the center of the trailer and broke free.

E: or "insecured" in the center, if you will.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007
I bet that would be fun to drive

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's a reason that the actual trucks that haul that poo poo at 80,000lbs gvwr only haul 3-4 when there is room on the trailer for a lot more.

It probably started out over the trailer axles, but quickly chose a more comfortable spot.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Shouldn't the spool be over the triple axle and not at the front of the trailer?

edit - efb

Yeah, but look at it. It only has like three inches of clearance with it on the tongue moving it back would probably drop the trailer down onto the tires. If you actually got the trailer moving it'd probably cause enough friction to destroy the tires.

I doubt it was ever tied down or moved.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
That is some proper truckfuckling. Kinda curious what the story is on this one, reverse GIS isn't coming up with much but that looks like a surprisingly clean split.

quote:

That might actually be OK. Note the front fenders, this is a "Super C" motorhome built on a proper truck chassis. It appears to be a Jayco Embark, built on a Freightliner M2 platform with an 8.3 liter Cummins and rated to tow 20,000 lbs. Basically think of it as a medium duty box truck with a living room inside.

That Cat seems to be roughly 16-18,000 lbs so it comes down how much the trailer weighs. I'd guess it'll be over given the tandem duals, but probably not nearly as bad as it looks at first glance. It's not like there's an Econoline with one of the 6.8L V10s screaming its spark plugs out up front.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 29, 2019

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Does that mean it's possible to be a migrant cat driver living in an RV because I might have found my new goal.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Photex posted:

Not sure if this got posted already it was making the rounds on a lot of production Facebook groups

https://www.facebook.com/Hexstage/videos/10220149581873567/?t=15

jesus. guess a motor got stuck. proper way would be to swap motors and keep going? even though swapping a motor would be a royal pain in the rear end.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zedprime posted:

Does that mean it's possible to be a migrant cat driver living in an RV because I might have found my new goal.
There are giant sleeper cab road tractors that are spacious inside, they only lack a bathroom. Those have a proper 5th wheel and ability to gross 80k.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

CannonFodder posted:

There are giant sleeper cab road tractors that are spacious inside, they only lack a bathroom. Those have a proper 5th wheel and ability to gross 80k.

Heck, you can get 'em with a bathroom easily enough:

https://www.renegaderv.com/renegade-classic-sportdeck-2019
http://www.showhauler.com/products/toterhomes/
http://www.powerhousecoach.com/coch11ext.html

All three of these vendors do mostly custom and semi-custom builds so if you have the money to spend you can get your truck and RV body configured any way you want, the only limits are the size of your wallet and 80,000 GCVW.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Grovertruk

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

zedprime posted:

The life of an excavator ronin is one of disgrace and poverty.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I would like to print and frame this.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah I need to save money to rent to own the cat so maybe I can just turn a used F350 into an RV and hope the highway patrol doesn't look too close.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I've brought this up a few times, but i found some oilfield boilers put together in the 70s that had boilers built in the 1800s as trains and tractors inside the shack.

e: looking for the pics through my posts in the old thread, saw this again and cringed.

There is a chain wrapped around that Christmas Tree attached to a truck :stonklol:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

wolrah posted:

http://www.powerhousecoach.com/coch11ext.html

All three of these vendors do mostly custom and semi-custom builds so if you have the money to spend you can get your truck and RV body configured any way you want, the only limits are the size of your wallet and 80,000 GCVW.

:ohdear:

:stare:

:yikes:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Willfrey posted:

each year it shuts down for a week and we replace lots of poo poo on it

Is it still the same boiler then?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Boiler of Theseus

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Saw this on the road today

e: pic kinda sucks but that's another big rear end log on top under the fronds with one ratchet strap holding it

Dave Grool fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 29, 2019

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
definitely cant call him one of those phony truck owners

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Yeah, that one makes me wonder a bit. Obviously the chassis itself is capable of handling basically anything legal to tow, but hanging that far off the back on a set of extendable rails seems like it should have a significant impact on the rating.

Probably fine when towing anything that'd normally go behind a pickup truck though

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

shame on an IGA posted:

Found the full vid on youtube, lower right leg is definitely bent in the straight places.

goonsire i pass the crown of thread titleship to you with the most humble of obsequiances

fine work. fine, fine work.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Powershift posted:

The truckfucklers won't forget this insult. We will have our revenge. It may not be today, it may not be tomorrow, it might have even been yesterday, dispatch hasn't made up their mind yet.

Leaked screenshot from the new Civilization game, Modern-era Settlers now spawn automatically with a Builder.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

zedprime posted:

You could make it happen right now, bud.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Powershift posted:

You could make it happen right now, bud.

I knew a dude who bought one of these right out of high school and would tow it all around town doing all the small jobs that backhoe operators would turn down.

He made a poo poo ton of money and paid his way through school with it. And I bet it was sort of fun playing with an oversized sandbox digger arm and getting paid for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rad-daddio posted:

I knew a dude who bought one of these right out of high school and would tow it all around town doing all the small jobs that backhoe operators would turn down.

He made a poo poo ton of money and paid his way through school with it. And I bet it was sort of fun playing with an oversized sandbox digger arm and getting paid for it.

Wanna know a secret?

They only cost 6 dollars.

Bobcat uses the same key for everything they build, you can go down to the bobcat dealer and buy a key for 6 dollars, and then go find one of your own.